Texas State University Top Questions

Jose

It's a great school that welcomes anyone from any part of the world or background. I really enjoyed the spring semester . Overall great people attend school and everyone is going for their intended dreams.

Alicia

I love my school. I am a Physics major and spend a great deal of time on campus at the College of Science and Engineering Department. I it is literally my home away from home. I have expressed this to my professors as well!

Valerie

I really love my school because there is such a diverse population of students. The cultural multitude is something to admire because it's all so different than mine. Texas State University has about 37,000 students and I can appreciate the size because there are so many opportunities to meet and learn from others. People usually think of Texas State as a party school, but I don't that's entirely true. Just as other colleges have parties so does Texas State, but I don't think that should be the defining identifier for such a wonderful school. The most frequent complaint that I've heard about Texas State are all of the hills that you must get through to just get to your class. I don't mind the hills, helps keep the fat rolling right off!

Kiana

I love not only the school, but the entire atmosphere of the town. It gives you the feel of a large university, along with the comfort of a small community.

Haley

The campus is beautiful

Tiara

The best views are here. I love seeing the hills. Also, San Marcos has the outlet malls!!!!

Katy

The best thing about Texas State is: it is the ultimate all-around university that is a huge home to thousands of students from all backgrounds, and futures. It's the perfect size, not too big, not too small. The town of San Marcos is great, offering the river, our "downtown" called "the square" where you can shop, eat, dance and party. Once you declare your major, the students in all your classes become your second family. No matter what your passions are, Texas State offers a way to expand it. The people and faculty are the best you can get! The school pride can always grow, and tradition is something the students and asg are currently working on. It's unusual that students come to class in their swim suits, which means they were just at the river. "Frisbee Dan" is a man who is an expert at frisbee throwing and hangs out at Sewell Park everyday. He is almost like our mascot, minus the bobcat:)

Whitney

The best thing about Texas State is the people. I have not met anyone here that I don't like, I mean it. I'm not in a sorority but I don't feel like I needed to be. People warned that if I don't go Greek, I will not be accepted and wont have any fun. I have actually met and become friends with with more "Greeks" than non, and feel very connected to the social scene, while maintaining my grades and work. On campus, people are polite and we have school spirit like I never expected to see. I would bet everyone has at least one hoodie and one t-shirt that sports the Bobcat logo. At the football games, we have school cheers and traditions that make me want to take off work so I can cheer along. I think students at Texas State feel connected to one another because we all know how to have a good time and we know we have to balance our fun with our education. We also know that because we are not products of the famous UT, we will have to try harder to prove our worth when it comes to landing internships and jobs. So, we stick together to overcome myths related to our school and that gives us pride and unification.

Carly

beautiful campus, river

Andy

I think Texas State has great pride within their students. You can travel a hundred miles in any direction and find cars with decals, people in hoodies and shirts and banners in bedrooms.

Alex

Texas State is beautiful, and is filled with beautiful girls.

Texas State is in a great location- close to multiple rivers, outlets and two major cities. The school atmosphere is great. It is a growing campus but I never feel like there are 25,000 people around me; it has smaller campus feel to me. I spend most of my time in the McCoy business building. It's the newest building on campus so i'm lucky all my classes are here. I think the newer facilities offer a lot of space and support for students. Hopefully, with the continued expansions and renovations on campus everywhere on campus will be as nice. Joining organizations on campus made the campus have a close knit feel because you see people you know almost everywhere you go and become more familair with whats going on on campus. The school pride is interesting. Most people take pride in the school and wear Texas State stuff but most people would rather go tailgating then to the actual game. Hopefully, that will change soon. People who haven't heard of anyting new about Texas State in 5-10 years still think it's the big party school in Texas. I like to explain to them all the other things I do on campus other than go out. In my opinion, you work hard to play hard. There is still tons of partying but some people get a lot accomplished during the day before they go out.

Alex

Texas State has so much to offer every student. The school is rapidly growing and it is very exciting to be a part of. Being involved in a student organization is the best way to make the most of your college career. The administration are very willing to help students succeed.

Cody

Texas State is a very large school, but it doesn't feel that way. The classes, with the exception of the freshmen classes, are generally kept smaller. The faculty is fantastic and takes a personal interest in your education. San Marcos is a great place to go to school, and I will never forget lazy afternoons by the river with a book.

The school size is just right and sits in a really cool small town. It is definitely a college town with the entire community backing the university. One of the best things is the spring-fed San Marcos River that runs right through campus. It is great for tubing after a long day of classes. Usually when I tell people I go to T-State their reactions are usually something about being a party school and they also talk about the great food in San Marcos or the outlet malls. I think the teachers and staff here at Texas State are phenomenal and are willing to help you in whatever way possible. There is a lot of school pride at this school but not as much team pride, but we are trying to move to a larger football conference and that should help change that.

Irina

I love the fact that Texas State is big enough to be worth it and small enough to be noticed. It's definitely a college town but the Austin and San Antonio are just up/down I35. Administration is great most of the time, you've just got to bug them a little sometimes. The one thing I would change is the amount of time it takes the university to finish big projects. There is definitely a lack of parking around campus and transportation is it's biggest weakness.

Toby

The best thing about Tx State is the natural beauty of the campus. The river, the hills, the outdoors truly inspire students to socilize and explore far beyond the text books. One thing that I'd change about TX State would be the architecture. Don't get me wrong some of the buildings are beautifl but there just needs to be a smoother flow. Also, I would totally take away the horse statue in the Quad! TX State is the perfect size. Big enought to meet someone new everyday and small enough to have a buddy on riding the commuter bus home with you. Some people get impressed that I attend TX State, others ask where's that, and some just don't care, but after brining them here for a visit they all love it! I spend most of my time on campus in the Health Professions building bc I'm a Respiratory Therapy major but I also spend time in the education building bc work, the Quad, or the LBJ Student center (perfect place to take a nap) I feel that for the most part, TX State students attend TX State because it is an oustanding institution with great academic and social opportunities. The campus is beautiful. The university truly is student center and admininistration and students are always seeking ways to provide educational opportunities by briniging in big time speakers such as Obama, Bill Clinton, Maya Angelou and Isabel Allende or putting on events such as Riverfest. The biggest controversy- the name change from Southwest to Texas State University. There is plenty of school pride but we can always use more! Unsual about Tx State- we have a river that runs through our campus! Memorable experience- being a part of Greek Life. Amazaing memories and lifelong friendships. Complaints- Bad Parking and lots of construction!

Courtney

Texas State is such a beautiful campus! We have a RIVER running right through it, how many Universities in Texas can say that? I love walking to my classes everyday to take in how great this campus is! The only thing I would change has more to do with the city of San Marcos, than with the university itself (which is a large population of the city)... I extend the SQUARES hours, closing at midnight is closing too early! Too many students are going to Austin as an alternative (drinking) and then driving home from Austin, after drinking, at 2 am (not a good idea!!). Texas State is the perfect size! It isn't overwhelming like UT but it is not as small as your high school! It is the ultimate college experience. People always want to hear about my University and my experience when I tell them I go to Texas State. I spend pretty much all my time on campus, whether I am in my dorm, at class in McCoy (school of Business), or hanging out at Sewell Park! Texas State is a happy medium of a college town. The area is easy to get around by the way the university it set up. At the same time if you need to get away we are only 30 minutes from Austin and 45 minutes from San Antonio! I support Texas States Administration! The biggest recent controversy on campus was legalizing a concealed hand gun on campus. YES we have school pride! We don't go overboard like a cult (A&M), but we know how to represent our school! Come visit the campus and you will realize this entire campus is UNUSUAL, you will love it! I will always remember how much my legs hurt the first week of school from walking so many hills around campus. My legs have never hurt since! Many students wish to move off campus earlier, instead of the required 2 years. I, however disagree completely, considering studies show that GPAs are higher for on-campus students and that stronger communities are built (friendships) by living on campus!

Meggie

The best thing about Texas State is that it is the perfect size, has teachers who are obviously there to help you succeed-not just there to teach, has many resources for you to learn and study abroad, listens to the students, takes pride in their tradiations and has tons of school spirit, and has a river right on the campus to you can take a dip or lay out between classes.

Angel

I think our school is just right. I love the environment of the town of San Marcos. Everything that we need is right here and if we need to get away Austin and San Antonio are less than an hour away. I am really excited about the changes taking place on this campus right now. Within the next few years are university will be changing and growing in ways that were previously unseen. I can't wait to come back years from now and see how it has evolved. I think school pride is growing and I think the state of Texas is paying this University the attention it needs to truly become the rising star of Texas.

Toby

the best thing about texas state is that we are very diverse and that its in a great location. I would change the parking garages and that i think the sports should be more advertised than they are.the school is a little bit to big. there just not enough space for everybody. People give me a expression on there face like im a big party kid just because i go here. I spend most of my time either in the dinning halls or at strahan. this is a college town. I think our school is very stingy on where there money goes. We have alot of money but dont like to spend it. Texas state has the most money out of any school in our confrence but we have the worst facilities. We dont have very good school spirit. you always see somebody with a texas shirt or texas a&m or texas tech or anyother school besides our shirts. If you were to do that at say TEXAS they would start talking crap to you if you walked down the street but to us its a normal thing so people dont say anything. WE have like 30,000 student go to this school but we can pack a 7,000 seat basketball arena or a 15,000 football stadium? kinda of lacking the school spirit a bit.

Arielle

I came to texas state not knowing anyone, and it was the best experience I've had in life. There is much diversity at texas states among students as well as extra curricular opportunities. The school is average sized, with the most beautiful campus I've ever been to. People's reactions of Texas State are often skeptical, but I try to be quick to dismiss those opinions. There is a strong Catholic and CHristian community which is very important to me. THe school pride may not be witnessed as much as universities in "The Big 12" but you can definitely see a surge of energy concerning our school among individual students.

matt!

There is no one best thing about Texas State. It is in San Marcos. The river goes along campus. Austin is 30 minutes, New Braunfels is 15, San Anotnio is 45 minutes away. The only thing that sucks is that the bars close at midnight and 1 on saturdays. That's why we pregame at the square then drive to 6th or stay in SM and party hard. I wouldn't change anything. Maybe a little more time to "quadulate" between classes... I spent most of my time in the Quad until McCoy Business Building was built and then I practically lived there... Off-campus I spent most of my time at the pool either partyin or playing volleyball... School pride is growing. Especially since we are going to have a Division 1 football team in the next few years. There is alot of school pride otherwise. Everyone is proud to say they go to Texas State... I will always remember my first year in the dorms. Jackson Hall is where I met my best friends... Texas State is the only school I know of where you can go lay out at the river in between classes. I often went to class in a swimsuit,, sometimes still with an Eskimo Hut drink still in my hand.

Toby

I would have to say the best thing about Texas State is the community of people, we have around 28,000 students; yet you still seem to know people everywhere you go. There are so many different organization and clubs, on campus that you can join that give you the opportunity to make a real difference in both the school and the community. The quad is one of my favorite places on campus, it is a beautiful part of campus, and there is always something going on. It is basically the heart of campus. The school pride at school is amazing, The Loud Crowd is probably the best organization on campus, and it is the perfect example of pride. The biggest complaint on campus is parking, it's a sad fact, but when you come to school be prepared to wait and I mean wait for parking. Then when you finally find your parking spot, you have to walk up a huge hill to get to class. But, hey it's all part of the Texas State experience.

Brandi

I love the diversity of campus. I wish it wasn't on the hill. It's just right. Growing up in the next town over, a lot of the parents of people I graduated with still call it Southwest. I spend most of my time in the Theatre, LBJ and the Quad. San Marcos is definitely centered around the university! I haven't had any direct correlation lately with any of the administration. Since the Texas Primaries is in a few days, every political ideology has been sparring in the Quad. You can't walk from one building to another without seeing someone in a Texas State shirt. I believe thinking something as "unusual" is very subjective. My entire experience at Texas State will be memorable. Everyone always complains about the hill.

Riley

The best thing about Tx State is that right now you don't have class on Fridays (unless it's a lab) but that's changing. One thing I'd change is all the stairs and hills! They should change the motto from "the rising star of Texas" to "I graduated from Tx State and have the calf muscles to prove it!" I think the size of the school is just right. It's large enough that you blend in, but your professors still know you by name in some classes (especially your majors courses) and you can run into people in the quad and get stopped for knowing someone you can talk to. Most people react when I tell them I go to Tx State as "oh that's a party school" or "so what do you usually drink?" or about some kind of party. The school doesn't get the credit it deserves for it's academics and it's student centered focus. I spend most of my time on campus in class! I'm in a clinical lab science program. It takes a LARGE majority of my time, but if I'm not in class, I'm usually in the LBJ student center either online or at a student organization meeting. This is definitely a "college town" and definitely has that small, college town feel. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to do around here, except tubing and sun bathing in the summer, or drinking at one of the MANY bars around the square off campus when it's not warm enough to go tubing or sun bathing. So most people go to Austin on the weekends. The administration here SUCKS! I'm getting "payment overdue" notices on my student loans because administration failed to tell them I was enrolled! Also, administration failed to tell my boss about my selective service exemption (long story) and then when I called administration about the student loan thing, they wanted to charge me $3.00 to fax it to them when it was their job in the first place! Biggest controversy lately was over the vote to advance the footbal subdivision. I personally don't care. I think we should be investing our money in academics, not adding greenspace, and athletics and building onto the rec center. I think we should be known for our academic programs not eveything else we can charge students outrageous prices for. Or how about a bus that goes to Austin and San Antonio EARLY in the morning (like 6-7am) so that health professions majors could carpool to their internship sites without spending a shit load of money on gas? As far as school pride goes? Well..LOTS of Tx State shirts around here, just about everywhere you go someone has one on. One unusual thing I think is odd about Tx State is that our mascot is a bobcat, yet we have "stallion" statues. Why don't we have a Bobcat? I'll always remember my experience with trying to get gender identity and expression included in our campus anti-discrimination policy and the things I saw and heard when I was passing around petitions for it. Some of our students, like I mentioned earlier, are really ignorant when it comes to the difference between sex and gender, and the fact that these protections are necessary for the transgendered, and that transgender people really DO exist in REAL life, it's not just some made up thing. Biggest complaint? Probably parking right now. Why are we cutting even MORE parking to add green space?? Seems like a great idea, but we're cutting dorms that are already overcrowded and cutting parking that's desperately needed. Grad students don't even get a parking permit!

Kaitlin

TXST is big enough you can always meet new people but small enough that you know people wherever you go, including teachers. I would change the hills - uphill both ways is actually acurrate here. We need to work on school pride, but that is hard to do when everyone is wearing Longhorn apparel. I love everything about Texas State I wouldn't change anything, ever.

Jesse

The natural beauty surrounding Texas State is amazing. The university is located on a hill, and the San Marcos River runs through the middle of campus, which provides for a good time and great scenery year-round. Texas State is diverse, and everyone is very friendly. It is the perfect size, not too big, nor too small. San Marcos is a good-sized college town, but it is old-fashioned, and some of the places need to stay open later, including the hot spots on the Square. There could be more modernized places to hang. For the most part, the administration is available and listens to the students' needs. I think President Trauth has worked hard to improve our college tremendously. Students here have a lot of school pride but not enough. I think people promote their sororities and frats more than Texas State as a whole. One experience I will always remember: In January 2007, central Texas had a huge ice storm, and it snowed for the first time in....forever. Our first three days of school were cancelled for the spring semester. The entire town shut down because most Texans don't know what to do in that kind of weather..especially in San Marcos because it is so hilly. I didn't want to leave my apartment the entire time for fear of losing control of my vehicle. One of the recent controversies on campus was when smoking was restricted in certain areas such as the Quad and within 20 feet of any building entrance. Many smokers felt it was a violation of their personal freedom and disregarded the warning signs. However, our university has made it clear that they will fine anyone found smoking in those areas.