Lubbock, TX
Texas Tech University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Tech University

Fixed  rate loan

Jackie

The best thing about Texas Tech is all the traditions. I would change the view others have on Texas Tech. I think that the school size is just right, a few classes could be smaller. They ask why I didn't get in to A&M or UT but in reality I did get in to both of those schools. I spend most of my time in the SUB or Music Building on campus. College town. I feel that there should be more strict rules on admission. There is a ton of school pride. I will always remember marching on the field during halftime and running down the tunnels in pre-game with the Goin' Band.

There are different groups and fraternities for different people on campus, you will always find somewhere to fit in. I don't think any student could feel out of place at Texas Tech. Jeans and t-shirts. Different organizations, and sports. Most Tech students are from Texas. Most people are fairly wealthy to middle class. Students are politically active/aware. predominantly left. Yes.

No! There are very smart people from all over the world that choose to study at Texas Tech. Even though some students choose to party at Tech doesn't mean that all students do. I choose to spend my time studying rather then partying during the week and sometimes will go out on the weekends.

Some of my professors know my name. Biology is my favorite class because it interests me the most and keeps my interest the whole year. My least favorite class is organic chemistry, the teachers do not teach very well. It really depends on the person as to how much they study, I study at least 6 days a week. Classes are mostly lectures. Sometimes there are intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are competitive. The most unique class I've taken is psychology. I am a biology pre-med major, the advisors in the pre-med department aren't great but the biology advisors are, I have to take a ton of biology classes but it's fun! I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I think that Tech has good academic requirements. Texas Tech education is geared toward learning which will help you get a job in the long run!

Greek Life. Tau Beta Sigma is a music service sorority we provide service for the band and music building. no, most doors are kept closed. sports events are very popular.

People think that students that go to Tech are stupid and not as smart as those that go elsewhere. People also think that Tech is a huge party school, and no one does anything but party.

Karl

Lubbock isn't anything special but it has everything we need. Sometimes it's annoying that the town is so conservative and it's a dry county. You can't even go and get a bottle of wine (which is technically healthy for you). Lubbock needs a rude awakening about the reality of the world. Technically 3 or more unrelated females and/or males cannot live in the same apartment or house or else it would be seen as a whore house. That's pretty sad. Lubbock stinks. Tech is great and the students here generally love the school and the opportunities given.

The students are definitely moderate heavily leaning conservative. Lubbock is hardcore bible belt conservative. The campus is more diverse. Greek life is pretty big here at Tech, I believe about 25% of the campus is Greek. They all dress alike. You can just spot them all a mile away. It's hard to explain but when you come onto the Tech campus you'll notice a Greek, you'll just know who they are. I don't know if anyone would feel out of place. I guess it just depends on what type of friends you have, if you're willing to try and make friends. IF you take the time to meet new people you should be fine.

I like Tech. It's great and if I could do things all over again I would still pick to be a Red Raider. I bleed red and black.

No true at all. I was accepted to UT, TAMU and several other schools but I picked Tech because of the great engineering program and also I needed to get away from home. I love Tech and the people here are great. It's true that there are some students that are pretty dumb but in the end there are so many other great students that picked Tech over the other universities.

I can't speak for the other departments and/or colleges but Chemical Engineering at Tech is incredible. All the professors are like Cal Tech, MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc. graduates. They are brilliant and the classes are great. I learn a lot and my professors are awesome. I would dare say that most of them are so called "badasses." I cold care less about general education classes. I think it's a waste of time but I guess they want students to be well rounded. We have requirements from the standard English, History, Math, etc. to multicultural, technology and applied sciences. It's interesting. In the undergraduate levels the classes are definitely more practical and hands on. They have a lot of job fairs to help you get a job, no problem.

There's lots to do. All freshmen have to live on campus their first year. Living on campus isn't the greatest, the halls are old, but there's always food, lots of food and a lot of my greatest memories come from living on campus. All my close friends are the ones on my floor. We do everything together. From midnight runs to Wal Mart to parties and studying we have fun. Living on campus isn't that bad. If you're looking for a relationship it's not that hard to find one. If you are single and happy you can stay that way no problem. Football is the biggest thing here at Tech. People camp out at night for some of the bigger games. Though we are known to have bad sportsmanship, all-in-all the students love their football, it's life down here. We go to games, we cheer, we taunt and we have fun. Basketball is pretty big as well, but because a lot of games are on the weekdays it's harder to go to.

We came to Tech because we couldn't get in anywhere else.

Sara

Texas Tech University is one of the most incredible places on earth! I spend the last four years work ing on my undergradatue degree and loved it. I loved Lubbock and Texas Tech so much, that I stayed to pursue a Master's Degree! The campus is one of the most astonishing and relaxing places you will ever go. The aesthetic appeal is proudly promoted, and while we have the largest continuous college campus in the entire nation, surprisingly you can get to anywhere on campus in 15 minutes. The campus is easy to navigate, and feels like home. I have met some of the most incredible people attending this university. These people are the people I know will be in my life forever! Our athletics program is pretty stellar. While we may not be the best team in every sport all the time, our last bowl game in December was probably the most exciting game that I have ever seen, and we WON! We have over 200 students organizations, so there is something for everyone to get involved in. No matter what your interests, there are other people who are interested in the same things. Students who attend Texas Tech LOVE Texas Tech. Game days are one of the most exciting times. You see red and black all around you, with thousands of people gathering to support their team. (On a side note, learn the fight song when you attend any school, although preferably Texas Tech).

Texas Tech is one of the most accepting campuses I have ever been to. There is something for everyone to participate in. Over 200 student organizations exist to become a part of. If you do not want to get involved in an organization, you can always hang out with your floor. If you live on campus (which you should for at least a year because ti will be an incredible experience) you will have a group of 30-50 people living on your floor. This is a great opportunity to meet people. This is much more casual than joining an organization, and can be just as much fun. I was a Community Advisor (RA) for three years, and my floors of girls always enjoyed getting to know each other, and most of the time, those were their closest friends throughout the rest of their college career. Students range from conservative to liberal, genius to smart, large cities to small towns, religious to not religious, etc. Students include the entire spectrum. Everyone will find a place to fit in at Texas Tech, and will be able to call this their home.

All of the above stereotypes are false. There are endless amounts of things to do in Lubbock, Texas. I grew up in a big city (San Antonio), and I can honestly say that I am never bored in Lubbock. You can visit the Buddy Holly Museum, hang out in the Depot District, visit one of the three wineries surrounding Lubbock for a wine tour, and much much more. The stereotype that Texas Tech students have a high STD rate is also incorrect. The last quote that I heard was that Texas Tech actually had the second lowest STD/STI rate in the Big XII. The stereotype that Tech Tech is a party school is also wrong. Although you can party at Texas Tech, you can party at any University/College. If you want to party in college, you can get that from any school. Texas Tech however is not just a party school. Our school encourages athletics, education, personal development, and extracurricular involvement. The final stereotype is that students who cannot get into other universities come to Texas Tech. I can tell you that is certainly not true. One of my roomates came to Texas Tech all the way from California. Another close friend came to Texas Tech from Australia. My best friend from undergrad came to Texas Tech from Kansas. Texas Tech was the only school that I applied to. Texas Tech has an extremely diverse and desirable population. Students pick Texas Tech as their number one choice and come from as close as Post, Texas, to places from around the world.

The academics portion of Texas Tech is extremely strong. After all, that is what people come to school for. However, while academics are important, the administration and faculty encourage students to get involved and learn outside of the classroom as well. I was in the College of Human Sciences, and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. We have some of the best advisors in the nation (that is not just me bragging, they have won a lot of awards). Texas Tech focuses on furthering the university and its contribution to the pool of research. For instance, the creator of TCBY attended Texas Tech. With the exception of your core classes, classes are very manageable, most of the time no bigger than your high school class would have been. There are many options to help you with your classes so that everyone can excel, such as free tutoring, and the University Writing Center. Instructors also encourage a great deal of real world experience, such as internships, or experience in the field through classes. When you graduate from Texas Tech, you will feel that your education was worth all the money, time and effort that you spent. Not only will you be satisfied, you really will have a skill set that will prepare you for whatever it is that you want to achieve.

There are many stereotypes about Texas Tech and Texas Tech students. One such stereotype is that there is nothing to do in Lubbock. Another stereotype is that Texas Tech students all have STD's/STI's. An additional stereotype is that Texas Tech is a party school. A separate stereotype is that Texas Tech is just for students that did not get into other schools.

Brad

I can only compare Tech to the UT because thats the only other large university I've been to, but the best thing about Texas Tech is probably the laid-back attitude. For the most part, it seems that most of the students are pretty friendly with one another. Maybe its that West Texas attitude, I don't know. Also, I like the sort of rebellious attitude that the fans have at football games. I know I said that I'm embarrassed by some of the things that the fans do, and I am, but sometimes some other schools CAN be a little too wound up. I'm not saying I like some of the stupid things that fans come up with at football games, but sometimes you just have to loosen up a little. You've got to love our colors too. Black and red is just great. One thing I'd change is definitely the disrespectful fans at football games. Its a true stereotype and its always on my mind when I tell someone my age that I go to Tech. When I tell people I go to Tech, they are glad I chose a large university, but its not much of a surprise because its the only D1 school anywhere close to my hometown. I'm from Amarillo, which is only 2 hours away from Lubbock. As far as schools close to home, we could choose from Amarillo College (one of the best community colleges in the country), West Texas A&M (a D2 school, and unfortunately part of the A&M system) or Texas Tech. I spend most of my time in the Student Union Building. I like to go downstairs and sit in the two TV rooms that usually play ESPN all day. I can go in there, eat lunch, watch Sportscenter, and maybe chat it up with someone about sports. I just like the SUB because its a nicely designed building and you just feel a good college vibe just being there. I would say its a pretty good college town. Lubbock would certainly not be anything close to what it is without Tech, but Lubbock doesn't thrive on only Tech either. Its the hub city for most of the open land between Dallas, San Antonio, Denver, Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque. Amarillo is basically just like Lubbock except it doesn't have a large university, so I know what Lubbock would be like without Tech. It wouldn't have that college town feel and attitude, where you know you can go to Whataburger at 3 in the morning and you will see other students there too. The biggest controversy here recently was probably Bob Knight quitting the head coach position of the basketball team. Basketball is not nearly as big as football, so its strange to think that the winningest college basketball coach in history quitting would probably not get as much local controversy as if Mike Leach quit. I think there is a lot of pride. One thing that Texas Tech doesn't have as much as a lot of other schools is traditions. We were formed much later than a lot of schools in Texas, so some of our traditions don't date back near as far as others', but school pride is definitely present. You've got to agree when you hear the campus tour guides telling the students and their parents that Will Rogers and Soapsuds' butts face towards Texas A&M. Unusual things... this campus is so big. Its the second biggest campus in the nation. While that is nice because everything is so spread out and nice to look at, that is a long walk to and from some classes. I guess that means more time to spend checking out the ladies. I just transferred here in the fall of '07, but something I will always remember is when we beat Texas A&M in football after Javorsky Lane guaranteed a win for his Aggie team. As he and his team walked under the student section after the game was over into the locker rooms, the entire student section yelled, "Guar-an-tee! Guar-an-tee!" I've heard a lot of students complaining that they can't understand their teachers because of their accents. I don't know if it is as common at other schools as it is here to have foreign professors, but I've had to drop a class myself simply because I couldn't understand my professor.

The majority of the Texas Tech student body's overall opinion on racial and religious groups fits with the opinions of West Texas unfortunately. I haven't had any instances where there has been comments or acts against others of a different race or religion at all. However, I think the large majority of students at Tech are white Christians. I don't know of any student that would feel completely out of place at Tech, because there are so many groups that are geared toward those of different religions, beliefs, etc. I know there is a Gay-Straight Alliance group here. But if those groups aren't enough for that person, I would say someone who is gay would probably not want to go to a school that is in this area. Most students wear casual clothes. Dressing up sticks out more often than not. You usually see the casual jeans, cargo shorts, t-shirts, hoodies, North Face fleeces, Ugg boots, etc. I've seen different types of students interacting around campus. The attitude here is laid-back and people usually are pretty friendly. Four tables of students might have: People studying with papers or laptops in front of them A few girls in a circle booth A group of guys and girls chatting it up A group of athletes There doesn't seem to be a large separation among students. People will sit wherever. Most Texas Tech students I've met seem to be from the Dallas and San Antonio area. The Dallas area must love Texas Tech because it seems like almost everyone I've met is from around there. I'm actually sort of out of place because I'm from Amarillo. The financial backgrounds that are most prevalent are the middle-to-upper class. These students are at a large university after all, so it seems to start from the middle and go up from there.

A phrase present in our mind all the time - GET YOUR GUNS UP!

Everyone knows saying "all" in that way is always going to be wrong. But Texas Tech is a large state-funded university just like many other Division I schools out there, and while I know its not the best option in Texas, its certainly still a very good school to go to. And as far as the fan stereotype, it is mostly true. Its as true as a stereotype can be at least. Of course not all of the students are loud and obnoxious (I'm not, and I think some of the things we do towards other teams are just embarrassing, and I don't do those things), but an overwhelming bunch are. Yes, other school's fans yell and scream and even say offensive things, but some Tech students don't leave the stadium with respect toward the other school at the end of the day. This is one of my biggest disappointments in going to Tech. I've got to say, the hottie stereotype holds up. This one is also true.

My favorite class so far has been History of the U.S. after the Civil War. History interests me anyway, but the teacher I had, Travis Childs, was great. Class participation is common as long as some time before 11 AM. I remember occurrences where students were talking about politics and such outside of class, too. I can't say I've seen very much competitiveness though. The most unique class I've taken has been English in Film Studies. I love it.. and I normally hate English! My major is Electronic Media and Communications, which is in the College of Mass Communications. Its fairly new, but I think its already become a good college. My major focuses on mass media, communications, and the electronic means of communicating that media. I hope to get a career in sound/video for a TV or radio broadcast company or maybe work at a record studio. Texas Tech's academic requirements aren't the highest, but I think they are still up there with other schools in the state. The education at Tech is VERY geared toward getting a job. The advisors here start helping students with finding careers early and will help any time with that sort of thing.

Last weekend was my 21st birthday and my friends and I just went out to a few bars and drank.

The most popular stereotype is that all Texas Tech students are dumb. Tech students are bad fans (bad sportsmanship - loud, obnoxious, offensive) The hot girls - Playboy ranked us 2nd in the nation for hottest female student body.

Christina

Texas Tech is really working on expanding and growing. We are currently at 28,000 students and our Chancellor has a goal of reaching 40,000 students by 2020. That means we are building newer and more high-tech facilities. We are bringing in some national and world renowned professors and bringing in better programs and development more opportunities for our students. Tech is growing and working to make a difference. The people at Tech are some of the nicest most down-to-Earth people you will ever find. As an Asian from southern California coming to Tech was one of the scariest and most exhilarating experiences. Without a doubt I stood out like a single long stem red rose in the dead of a New York winter. But I fit in and found some of my very best friends. These people, I know, will be in my life forever. Though lacking in ethnic diversity, the school compensates in many other ways. We have diverse extra-curricular activities from chess club to habitat for humanity or Greek life we have it all. Our recreational center has swimming pools, indoor track, weight rooms, we offer belly dancing, salsa dancing, cardioboxing, and even fencing. The school goal is to help develop a well rounded student strong in both academics and extra-curricular activities. Lubbock is without a doubt a college town. The county lives for Tech and they love the students more than the students could ever love the town. It's a perfect place to study and go to college. You can always find something to do, you just have to decide what. From movie theaters, the drive-in, clubs, and the mall we have just about everything to have a solid experience. The administration really works with the students and truly cares for their success. I have met the Chancellor, President, Provost, Vice President of Student Affairs, and so many others. This is not because I am very involved but because they care. When I was trying to set up meetings with various persons their secretary went out of their ways to work around my schedule. One secretary even rescheduled a meeting because she felt it was important for me, a student, to be able to meet with my Provost. They truly care and they will always work with you to help your experience be a great one.

The study body consists mainly of west Texas natives and those from the Dallas area. You will find a good amount of students from Houston and San Antonio as well. There is no ethnic diversity at Tech. The demographics include 80% Caucasian, 12 percent Hispanic, 4% African American, and 2 percent Asian. Some minority students feel that they stand out a lot. But in end they always find their place and meet great people. The student body is generally very conservative with handful of students who are moderate or left leaning. But one thing is for certain there are many students who are very affluent. Never in my life have I met so many students and people who know the President of the United States of America (President Bush) on a personal bases. Many students have parents who played baseball with the president, who dine with him every so often. In my Sex and Violence class one day my professor asked how many students have met President Bush and actually spoke to him in close range. Of a class of 70 student 48 raised their hands. Never will you find that in another university. The student body also consists of many students on scholarships. There are so many scholarship opportunities for students. The financial aid office will really work with you to help you get a good education at the lowest price possible.

All in all Texas Tech is an amazing university that seems to continue to grow. I am very happy with my decision to come here. Tech is incredible and has helped me to really, not only receive an amazing education and also give me a leap forward in my educational and career aspirations, but also grow, mature and laugh just a little bit more. It's true at Tech From Here, It's Possible.

The stereotypes are not accurate. Yes, Lubbock is very conservative but at Tech you will find a good mixture of students always ready to discuss and debate different points of views. We have conservative professsors and we have liberal professors, we have a nice balance at the university. The university is on the rise and continuing to grow and make a difference in the world. We have some of the most incredible research int he nation today. One of our most famous one is the Pulsed Power and Power Electronics program in which we are working to deactivate IED's (improvised explosive devices) in Iraq before they detonate. We are saving lives. Even more important is the fact that the only two other universities selected by the U.S. Government for this research is MIT and CIT. We are par with some of the best and top universities in the world. Yes, there are students at Tech who settled because they could not get acceptance into some of the other, larger, more state funded universities but the majority is not true. A lot of people, valedictorians, honor roll students come to Tech for the atmosphere and the expanding and growing education. Here at Tech we're not just numbers on a sheet we're Techsans and our professors and staff always try to help us to grow and meet our fullest potential. The programs here are continuing to grow and we have some of the best facilities and programs in Texas if not the nation. It's the perfect time to be at Tech. The fact is that Tech is large enough for you to spread your wings and find yourself but it is small enough for you to meet your future bridesmaids and groomsmen. No matter where you are, no matter what path you take after Tech, once you are a red raider you will always be a part of our family. At Texas Tech you can always find a home away from home.

Texas Tech has a solid academic program. Just like any university unless you want to be known your professors will not know who you are. In the lower division courses the majority of my professors only knew me because I spoke up in class and stayed actively involved in various discusion. In my major courses all my professors know me by first name, last name, major and even future career goals. The professors are always willing to speak to you and get to know you on a more personal bases. There have been several times in which I randomly walk into a professors office and talk about life. They're humans and they love working wiht you. Texas Tech has an amazing career center that can help you find anything from internships in west Texas to six figure jobs in New York. Many colleges have developed their own career center so there are twice as many opportunities for students to find a good job and/or internship. Career fairs seem to be occuring every month. You will find workshops on resume writing, etiquite dinners, mock interviews, and so much more almost every week. The mock interview program at Tech is incredible. When students have an interview they can contact the Career Center and inform them of the company they will interview with and for what position. The career center will then emulate the company and perform a mock interview with the student. They will then advise the students on answers, clothing attire, expressions and so forth. College of Mass Communications is the youngest college on campus but it is the fastest growing and one of the top programs in the nation. My public relations department chair is one of the best PR practitioners in the nation today. The majority of the people in the college have real world experience and have either owned a PR firm, owned a newspaper agency, worked in some of the most complex situations. The college has four computer labs with brand new computers for students to learn and study in. Major classes can be as small as 10 students to a professor. There is incredible research occurring in the basement of the college at all times and you can always find a professor sitting around waiting to have someone to chat with. This is one of the best colleges at Tech and without a doubt the best professors in the Texas Tech University system. The only flaw of Texas Tech academics is it's lack of classes in Asian studies. They offer slim to no opportunities to study abroad in Asia. The minor: Asian Studies is lacking. There are approximately 20 classes offered in the minor but only about six classes are offered each semester. Usually of the six 3/4 are scheduled at the same time making it impossible for students to take a well rounded amount of classes. The university seems to not want to make the expansion towards bringing in more diverse courses and offer more opportunities to study abroad in Asian countries. The irony of it is that we have the Viet Nam Center which is growing to be the largest center on the Viet Nam wars in the world. We have also signed contracts with Vietnamese universities for students to attend Tech graduate schools. We give opportunities to foreigners but seem hesitate to give similar opportunities to our students. There are also some advisers who seem to forget that their jobs are to help the students receive a diverse and intellectual education. Some advisers forget that students pay their salary and they should work with the students to find the best route towards graduation and a strong academic career for the future.

As said above Tech is big enough for you to spread your wings and meet your fullest potential but small enough for you to meet your future bridesmaids and groomsmen. Greek life seems to take over the University at times. Though they only make up about 20% of the student population the school seems to be overwhelmed by them in Student Government and some of the larger organizations. Many times unless you are a greek affiliate or gorgeous blond hair, blue eyes, and slim you can't get into some of the organizations. You will always notice a Greek member from a distance. They all seem to dress alike. You will find men wearing polo shirts and slacks with the boat shoes and crochs. The girls will be wearing their sorority shirt (sometimes tye dye, army fatigue, or just shirts with their letters) and those ugly "ugg" boots. When it's hot out you will many times see the girls wearing ugg boats and miniskirts or cheerleading shorts. As a native southern Californian I cannot stand the lack of style that many students exert. If you are not interested in being the "big dog" on campus and simply want to enjoy your time with great people we have many organizations for you to be a part of. We have service organizations, pre-professional and many social organizations outside of Greek Life. Whoever you are you will always find a place and a group of people to belong to. We have an Anime Club, Fencing Club, Equestrian, community service, habitat for humanity, and so much more. There are also a lot of athletic clubs and intramurals aplenty. You simply have to go out and look for it.

Many people believe that Texas Tech is overly conservative and backwatered. Many believe the place is just a "podunk" university in west Texas. Many also believe that most students who attend Tech settled because they could not get into some of the "supposed" better universities in Texas.

Texas Tech University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.