Lubbock, TX
Texas Tech University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Tech University

Tessa

The best thing about tech is the size. You can meet so many new people here every day, and discover so many new interests and activities as well. The size really does wonders for being able to assimilate groups of people with similar interests and gives the students more opportunities withing their class. Also, it enable the university to fund more events and further enrich a student's life here on campus at Tech. One thing i'd change is the community bathrooms, lol. When i tell people that i go to Texas Tech, the reaction is split in two, some people look at me with a blank look and say "oh, how nice" while others get recognize and get excited about Tech, mainly because of the attention that Bobby Knight drew. Most of my time spent here on campus is in the dorms. Whether eating, hanging out with friends, or going to class, for the first semester most of luboock, in my mind, was the Tech campus. I'd say that Lubbock is definitely a "college town." while most of the people here stay becasue they live here, it's definitely not as busy during the off-school season. Texas Tech's admininstration is wonderful here. From the highest of the high to the blue-collared folk her, they are all interested in getting involved, doing their part, and satisfying the needs of the Texas Tech students. The biggest recent controversy on Tech's campus was the 'vick em' shirts. A fraternity got punished for printing shirts with an aggie hanging a dog from a leash and had to write a formal apology for the printing of the shirts, though i do still see them around a lot.... Texas Tech definitely has a ton of school pride. On game days and during homecoming the student support is just massive. tailgating and partying are a few favorite fun tech traditions while the games are absolutely massive. The pictures of the school spirit and the feeling of the crowd around you and the game in front of you is just enthralling. What's unusual about Texas Tech is the size. Not only is it agorgeous campus, but it's huge! I feel like i could discover another gorgeous shot every day for the rest of my time here and never tire of its beauty. One experience i'll always remember is Howdy TECHsans. Howdy TECHsans was a program i participated in in the very beginning of the semester. A group of girls and guys moved into the dorms about two days early and got set up themselves in order to be ready to help others with their move. I made some really great friends because of this and i loved it!

I have participated with many religious groups on the Tech campus. There are so many to get involved with, it is unbelievable. I don't think a single student here at tech would feel out of place if they made the effort to find a group with their simialr intersets. Most students wear what is comfrotable, from sweat pants and tees to jeans and a button-down. Different types of students do interact here. Theyr're are so many types of students here that it is almost impossible for someone not to. Most Texas tech students are from the surrounding area, or cities across Texas State. The financial background that is most prevalent is middle-class and mid-upper class students. Students here at tech are politically aware and active. There are sevaral politicaly groups on campus and they put on events and advertise frequently.

Yes, we have a lot of fraternity and sorority students on campus. we also do show much spirit and support for our school.

The professors here at Tech definitely know my name, especially those in my field of expertise, as one would say. I am an Apparel Design and Manufacturing major and have to take many sewing and tailoring based classes over my next few years. My least favorite class would have to be english, i used to love it in High School, now, it's just a pain in my butt. it really isn't that much fun and i wish i'd takin the time to test out of the rest of it. I'd say that students study about one-third of what they're supposed to do, or of what they need to do. Class participation is common only if the class feels comfotable around each other. It takes a great professor to break the ice with a class and some great students to keep the ball rolling and make the class enjoyable for all. Texas tech students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, with each other, with the professors, with whomever. Students are slightly competitive, depending on the course, assignments, and their personalities. The most unique, and by far my favorite class so far is Design 1. I loved my professor and the unique assignments that she gave us.I spend a litle time with my professors outside of class, maily discusiing assignments and extra opportunities. I think that Texas Tech's academic requirements definitley provide a hearty challenge, but i think that some professors and some course material can be overwhelming. I think that the learning here at tech is geared more toward getting the ducation than landing any one certain job.

The most popular organizations on campus are those that are sorority or fraternity or hispanic associated. A group that I'm involved with is Hi-Tech Fashion Group. I am the community Service Representative. We put on several service projects every year that have to do with fashion and clothing. Students do leave their doors open sometimes. Athletic events are very popular, though some less popular sports have to be advertised to get publicity. Guest speakers are less popular, and the theater even less. The dating scene is sparse unless you spentd a lot of time off-campus socializing. I met my closest friends through each other, first one, and then the others. If i'm awake at 2 am on a tuesday, it's because i am up finishing an art project for my 8 am art class. People almost always party on the Tech campus. almost everynight, there are girls out danicing, karaokeing, or house-crashing. Sororities and Fraternities are very inportant on the Tech campus and for some people it is very important to belong to one of them. last weekend i layed around in bed all weekend and watched movies. On a Saturday Night you can hang out with your friends, catch a movie, and chill at a coffee house until two in the morning. Off campus i go dancing, watch movies, and meet up with friends.

We are a fraternity and sorority associated university. We teand to be very proud of our school as we have a lot of school spirit and support

Kyle

Texas Tech is perfect. It's not too big, not too small...Lubbock is getting bigger every day. It's DEFINITELY a college town, the entire city revolves around Tech and without Texas Tech, Lubbockians wouldn't have anything to be involved in. School pride= amazing!

If you are looking for a certain organization...we have it. If not, get a group of people and go register it. It's that simple.

Every one of my professors know my name. My favorite class was Anatomy with Dr. Julie Rosenheimer...she is possibly one of the best professors at Tech. Teaching undergrad anatomy with a Ph.D in neuroscience, she made sure we knew our stuff. I studied many many hours for that class. I go see her every week just to talk with her. Education at Tech is competitive and is geared toward learning...for example in anatomy, she would sometimes relate to clinical fields and pathology which was more job oriented, but stuck to the necessities she promised in her syllabus.

That we have STD's...which is not true...in fact we are the 2nd lowest in the Big 12. We are drunk...all the time! Not true...most of my friends don't drink very often...plus, what college DOESN'T have people who get drunk? We didn't get into A&M or UT. LIES LIES LIES! Yeah, we have the few who say that...but many of the people in my classes were valedictorian of their high school, as well as me.

S.G.A., R.H.A., Greek Life, Flag Football, Tech CRU (Campus Crusade for Christ). Football games...amazing. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, I'm studying.

Jamie

Best thing about Texas Tech: EVERYTHING...but probably the people. Not only the students, but the faculty and staff as well. I would change the fact that my school thinks it is efficient to water plants in the heat of the day. My school is just right...I love the size and the more the merrier! Some people say, "that's cool" while others don't really know much about it. Definately in the student union building. I work there, that is where I meet friends for lunch, cool events go on there, and you always see people you know when you are in the SUB! In between college town and "what college town." The reason is that there is part of Lubbock that is definately dominated by college students, but there are over 200,000 people in Lubbock, and only about 30,000 are Tech students, so there is so much more to Lubbock than Tech. Administration is for the most part good. I wish Dr. Dean would be the next president of our university though; he really cares and could potentially make this university even better. Biggest controversy on campus would probably be President Whitmore stepping down and the fact that we didn't getting accreditted by one organization. There is so much school pride at Tech...RAIDER POWER! I think something that sets Tech apart from the rest is that it has a big university look with a smaller university feel. Our current student to teacher ratio is 18:1 which is amazing; very comfortable, especially for freshmen. I'll always remember anything and everything about Red Raider Camp. From the time when I was a camper, to being a counselor, to be a facilitator, and now being director. Parking for sure are the most complaints made by students; but there are rules for a reason!

I don't have any specific experiences. To be honest, probably any minority. However, I feel that everyone can find their place or "niche" at Tech, and Texas Tech is really pushing for diversity. Most students wear jeans, flip-flops, and a Tech or greek t-shirt. Yes different types of students interact. One is full of the greek or involved people. One is full of a bunch of randoms. The third is full of socially awkward people. And the last is filled with minorities. Tech students are really from all over, especially since Tech is so far away from most Texas cities, yet so close to other states. Probably middle class Yes students are politically aware because we have a huge "free speech" area that is constantly bombarded by politicians and whatnot.

I love Texas Tech and all that it has to offer; there really is something for everyone. It is the best University in the world and has tons of school spirit and pride. From here, it's possible!

Yes professors know my name. My favorite class I have taken was probably one of my ag leadership or education classes and my least favorite is definately biology! I don't know how often students study, but if they are like me, probably not enough. Class participation is common because the class sizes at Tech are smaller. I know for a fact that students have intellectual conversations outside of class because I walk by and hear them all the time. Students are very competitive, especially when it comes to things like internships, leadership positions in organizations, and scholarships. My major is Agricultural Leadership and the department is great. The teachers are actually our advisors in the Ag College so that gives us a huge benefit compared to other colleges. The professors are also amazing and so much fun, both in and out of class. I think are academic requirements are average...I wish we had higher standards for admissions though. I think the education definately varies depending on your major/department/college, but I would say my college is geared towards being prepared to go out into the work force.

Well there are over 400 student organizations so it is hard to say what is the most popular. However, the Greeks really make their voice heard on campus more than any other group. Most students don't leave their doors open. Football is really popular, and it drops off from there with basketball, volleyball, baseball, and everything else. I met my closest friends from my dorm and other organizations I'm involved with. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I am probably headed home from game night since I just got back from Buffalo Wild Wings. Homecoming, Carol of Lights, and Arbor Day are probably the most popular annual traditions at Tech...and beating A&M of course! People party in Lubbock a normal amount I would say; Thursday and another night of the weekend. I don't know how important Greeks are, but they really have a loud voice on campus. They have people that are more involved on campus, that really care about the university, and make their voice heard. Last weekend I hung out with friends on Friday, went to church Saturday evening, went to a frat party Saturday night, and then studied and got ready for University Day on Sunday. There are usually TAB events, and you can always go to parties, clubs, and dance halls and not drink. You can always go to Main Event, bowling, movie theater and anything else.

Devin

I believe Texas Tech is a great university and has many great opportunities for students that come here. I have never had any problems with administration or faculty and have formed a great relationship with many of them as well. I would not call Lubbock a college town, but it is a great size for Tech to be a big priority in the community. I would like to see some of the sportsmanship at sporting events change. The words to the fight song have been altered and it has begun to spread. this is one big issue that I would like to see get resolved, however I know it is not an easy process.

I honestly believe that Tech has very few issues related to race, religion, socio-economic backgrounds, etc. Most students are very welcoming and West Texas just, in a way, brings the "niceness" out of you. I do believe that some students are not well informed on political issues. They usually just go with the majority or what their parents believe. Being in Texas, and in a conservative part of the state, I would say that most students are more right wing. You do see many cliques around but most are willing to open up to others. Money does not seem to be a big issue. Everyone is too busy having a good time in college to think about that, which may not be such a good thing.

It may be harder for some individuals to get accepted to those two universities, however, I do not see why the comments are made. Texas Tech is a superb university and the opportunities it presents are outstanding. I do not see why people think we are not on the same scale as UT or A&M.

Some professors do know my name, usually in my smaller classes. My favorite class would have to be Ornithology. My least favorite would probably be Evolution. Ornithology is the study of birds and it was fascinating to see the behaviors and various ways of life that birds have. Many of my teachers will have student interactions in class which can provide a better understanding of difficult topics. You can find very competetive students here but also very helpful and generous students. Some of the more intelligent students are always willing to help others with uncertainties about their studies. I am satisfied with the requirements that I have had to fulfill while being at Tech. They have provided me with a better understanding and a more interesting outlook on issues that I will encounter in the future.

The Greek organizations are probably the more popular groups on campus. Tech has a very large Greek community, and many of the Greeks tend to get involved more. The football games are probably the most popular event. We struggle to get students to go to ohter athletic and social events. Tailgating is the reason why, in my opinion. I do tend to see a majority of the students enjoying to party, which can interfere with other university events. Movies, studying, resting are all things to do if you do not go out drinking. However, many students need a break, and use the weekends to go out and socialize, which usually involves drinking.

I hear frequently that the reason many of the students that go to Texas Tech do so because they were not accepted to the University of Texas or Texas A&M.

Cathy

When I tell others that I attend Texas Tech, the first thing they say is, "How do you like campus?" Yeah, the campus is huge, but it's not unbearably too big. We do have buses that can help us get around. The campus is so beautiful at certain times int he year. My favorite are winter when it snows, and spring when they have tulips all over campus. Most of my time here is spent in the dorms. The floor i live on now has such an amazing group of girls. We have made some boring nights great. A lot of memories shared here. I thought living in the dorms another year was gonna suck, but when I met the girls on my hall they definitely changed my perspective of that. Tech may not be your usual looking college campus. But one thing that I like about this campus and this city is how on fire we are for our school. When you meet a red raider, whether you like us or not, you will definitely appreciate our love for the game. Whatever it is.

Not at all. Yeah its a small city, but we have a lot of places to go and hang out. Plus, in case they didn't notice, even though Lubbock is a dry county, there is no sign of it. It looks like another college town.

Some stereotypes I heard about before coming to Texas Tech, was that the students here don't know how to have fun. They basically based this on the fact that Lubbock is a small dry county.

Royce

The best thing about Texas Tech is the availability of financial aid. I would change affirmative action so that everyone has an equal shot at every scholarship. The university at times can be too big, but I think that it is just right. Some people from home ask me, "Why Tech?", but here in Lubbock, they respect and love the students of Texas Tech University. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room and classes, but the rec center is a great place to be. Lubbock is definitely a college town because Lubbock is nothing without Tech. They love to give poor people money, so I love the Tech administration. The biggest controversy here was about the Tech vs. A&M "Vick-em" shirts, which I think was hilarious and the reaction by the media was pointless and stupid because this type of mockery happens everywhere, but the media has to single out Tech. There is a lot of school pride during the football season, but that's about it. The only thing that is unusual about Tech is the West Texas weather and the college town. Christmas celebration before the end of the semester with my friends was the most memorable moment at Tech so far. The most frequent student complaints varies between the sometimes sketchy food on campus and some of the "sub-par" teachers.

To tell the truth, some of the greek families, in particularly the religious fraternities, are extremely creepy and strange, but I'm okay with the other groups. I would say that a Muslim-American might feel out of place, but that's about it. Most students wear whatever they want to to class, with the exception of greek family pledges and ROTC member because they are required to wear specifc things on certain days of the week. Different students react all the time. The four tables are actually mixed, but you will have your segregated table or your "clique" tables, but most of the time that doesn't happen because this is college, not high school. Most Texas Tech students are from...well...Texas! Most students at Tech come from middle class to upper middle class families. Some students are politically aware/active, but I would say that most of them are apathetic. Most of the students here are right wing people but you get your occassional left wing guy/girl. Students talk about that all the time, and it usually ties in with their respected major.

The students at Texas Tech don't get drunk everyday, only on weekends. Also, even though Lubbock County has the highest rate of STD's in the state of Texas, Texas Tech is the cleanest part of the town, so not every has an STD...just don't screw around with the locals (just kidding). And like I mentioned in the stereotypes, the thing about the greek life is true everywhere so tech is not an exception.

It depends on the size of the class, but if the class has under 50 students then the professors know the student's names. My most favorite class so far has to be Introduction to Drama, and my least favorite class is Chemistry 2 Lab. Honors students study about 4 hours a day while the rest of the university study less than 2 hours a day. Class participation is common in a small class, but not in a big class. Tech students, having intellectual conversations? Only in the honors college! Like I said, students in the Honors College (and possibly some other specific majors) are very competitive, but that's about it. The most unique class that I have ever taken is Drama because we watched at least 2 different film adaptations of each play we read; it was loads of fun! I am a History/Pre-Med major with a minor in Portuguese and I will possibly add a Theatre Arts Minor. I spend time with my Portuguese professor because she is an amazing teacher! Texas Tech's academic requirements are laughable just to be nice! Texas Tech education is geared towards a combination of both towards getting a job and learning the information for its own sake.

A couple of years ago, the popular organization on campus was the Saddle Tramps, but now the popular organization is the Goin Band from Raiderland. I'm not involved with a group yet, but next year I will join HON (Honors College Organization) and the Pre-Med Society. Most students in the dorms are very antisocial for some reason so they don't leave their doors open. Athletic events are VERY popular (especially football), guest speakers are not that popular at all, and theater shows are very popular. The dating scene is very nice out here, even with the super-hyped STD cloud hovering around the entire city. I met my closest friends in the dorm, leaving my door open. At 2am, I am either studying or procrastinating on my homework. Arbor day is a major holiday at Tech as well as the Carol of Lights before the Christmas holidays. People party all the time out here. To me, the greek life is not important because it's pointless to pay lots of money for your friends while you can meet people for FREE!!!!! Last weekend, I did a combination of homework and working at my job...I know, very exciting. On Saturday night, you can go to the movies or the corn maize or go clubbing, but that's about it. I go to my best friend's house that lives off campus and I go to my job that's off campus.

We all get drunk everyday, have unprotected sex and obtain every single STD known to man...especially the raider rash. Also, the fraternities are slobs and the sororities are sluts...but that's the case at every university.

Harper

The best thing about Texas Tech is its people and the students that create the atmosphere. Given the opportunity, I would change the way business is handled in regards to authority. I think the old way of running the campus are outdated and require a major change, but that is hard to see with the naked eye and does not directly affect the general students. I believe that Tech is just right in terms of size and if it were to be a little bigger, I would have no complaints. When I mention to people that I am a Red Raider, some take it as a negative thing, usually UT or A&M students, but others ask questions about my university. I realize now that as a university we are becoming more well known, but in the mean time other people are more inquistive about us. I spend most of my time at the recreation center or in my room on campus, simply because I work where I live. I am there for my residents and attempt to be as close in proximity as possible just in case I am needed. Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas is definitely a college town and personally I do not see it as anything else. I cannot imagine living here without attending or working at the university. As far as the Administration of Texas Tech, i believe that some have done a great job and others need to clean up their act, take a chance and stand up for what they believe in rather than selling themselves short of what authority tells them. Of course, that may be a particular situation, but I think that new ideas within departments is not such a bad or evil concept. The biggest controversy on campus was Bobby Knight leaving his career to his son, but after the win against number 5 Texas, there has been no controversy. Also, there was the controversy over messing with the fight song and although that has not ben solved, the studnet body needs to understand that it is disrespectful to say f*** in something that belongs to all of us. It is not funny nor make u a better person, so please do not join in. Is there a lot of school pride? A lot is an understatement of the school pride at Tech. Football games are the most spirited with the most in attemdance, but over all there is school pride in everything we do. No, this is not a cult and I do not, have not ever felt so overwhelmed with pride that it took over my life, but I am proud to wear the logo and support the school that has furthered my education. So far, Tech is the only school that includes a sports package to every student. Meaning that you get into every HOME game for free! The alumni have threatened to take that privilege away if we refuse to sing the fight song correctly. Other schools make students buy individual tickets or only allow them to go to a certain number of games, while Tech students are able to attend them all. There are two experiences that I will never forget, one being my position as a Community Advisor, and the other being Gospel Choir. I enjoy working with residents and being that "go-to" person. Gospel choir has introduced me to amazing spiritual people that have motivated me to be a better person in faith. As far as complaints are concerned, some students have a problem with community bathrooms, but personally I think they are one of the best things simply because they are cleaned daily and it is nice to always have hot water. Students also complain about math and sciences classes because of professors that cannot speak english, but we do what we have to do.

I have had experiences with many groups on campus and we have strong religious groups on campus. I have heard of GLBT, but have never seen advertisement or attended any meetings and therefore I have no information about the group. Students who live a fast paced life and are looking to do whatever it takes to get by would feel out of place at tech because of the warming atmosphere. A person that does not like to talk to people, get involved or join organizations will have a hard time adjusting to Tech. Between the hours of 8 am to 10 am, many students where comfortable clothing and jump out of bed to head to class, unless it is a snowing day. Anything after 10am may result in jeans or dressier attire. The Ugg boots and shorts are in and it is hidious! Many different types of students interact in programs geared towards all students of Tech, such as Spring Fling or concerts. There are four tables at the dining hall, sorority members, engineering boys, loud crazy girls, and music students. I am a part of the loud crazy girls that just laugh and have a good time. The sorority members are dressed similar and stick together. The engineering boys are usually dressed outdated, but eat a lot. The music students are loud as well and have the weirdest conversations, sometimes breaking out in song. Many tech students are from major cities such as Houston and Dallas. Many students that are middle class or lower attend Tech. Many of us apply for scholarships or get loans to help us afford college. Students on campus are very politically aware such as the two popular organizations of young republicans and young democrates of America. Lubbock is a conservative town, but on campus there are even distributions of left and right wing students. Students rarely discuss their worth one day, we are working more towards graduating to make it to the next step.

The only thing that was left out is just a piece of advise. In the case that you do not agree with anything on campus, voice your opinion and stand by your opinion if you feel it is representing you, an organization, the campus or anything wrongly. It takes strength to fight for what you believe in and too many back down in the face of authority.

For the most part, the stereotypes are not accurate in that many of us originated from big cities and not all people are ignorant. Infact, the Tech students are friendly and helpful. There are always those bad apples in the bunch, but they cannot compare to the good on this campus. As far as A&M and UT, I chose Tech because it offered something different, something unique. Tech offered spirit, loyal fans, friendliness and a family. The people make up Texas tech, and althought some have strayed against southern hospitality, it is still a great place to be.

I have a few professors that know my name because I have introduced myself and attended theit office hours. My favorite class is anything in psychology or yoga, while my least favorite class was english. Core classes in english consist of contually writing papers, somtimes 4 a week. Studying is a hard subject because on average, most students study for 30 minutes to an hour. In the case of my immediate friends, we study hours at a time to achieve our high GPA's. You are who you hang around, just remember that. In class, many professors require participation and as much as that may not sound interesting, you tend to retain the information better. Some students have intellectual conversations outside of class about anything and everything. There are also many independent coffee shops that create the perfect atmosphere for these kind of conversations. I have not met many students that are ademically competitive, but sports wise, YES! I have taken Sexual Behavior psychology and that was the most unique class I have ever been in. I enjoyed the material, even though reading the material made me feel like I was doing something wrong. My major is psychology and it is the best department on campus. The undergrad advisor is wonderful and helpful. i rarely spend time with professors outside of class unless I am in their office hours. The academic requirements for Tech are usually 2.5 and although that is low for my standards, it is a attainable goal for most. I do not focus on the minimum and instead look towards getting the maximum grade possible for my imput in classes. Eductaion at Tech is geared more towards learning rather than getting a job. The getting a job aspect is near graduation when we attend career fairs, but before considering the job, we need to learn about the field of study.

Many people believe that Tech students are not intelligent and are from small towns. I have been told that some think Tech students are ignorant and could not get into A&M or the University of Texas.

The most popular team on campus is our football team. I am involved in the Visions of Light Gospel choir and we minister our words through song and attend worships at different universities in texas. Many students in the residence halls close their doors, but there are always a few that keep their doors cracked for convenience. Athletic events are very popular and entertaining to students. Plays and speakers are common at Tech and there are usually many that participate in these free events. I am not aware of the dating scene, but from what I have seen, the scene is very open and always active. I met my closest friends because they lived next to me or i was introduced to them by friends of friends and so on. At 2am on a Tuesday i am playing cards, chatting online or studying. Every year and every game we wrap Will Rogers statue near memorial circle and attend Spring Fling, which is a community carnival held on the tech campus. Some people party hard 4-6 days a week, but that usually dies down the longer students are here. The people that party the hardest are freshman, until they realize how to manage their time and study. Sororities and fraternities are important on our campus, but only important to those that are in them. I am not in the grrek scene, therefore I have no connection or emotional tie to the group. Last weekend I hung out with friends, slept many hours and played card games. On a saturday night some of the people I hang out with go out to eat, venture to an apartment, play spoons, card games, watch movies or just chat. I travel off capus of enjoy other food and to get away for a while.

Jackie

The best thing about Texas Tech is all the traditions. I would change the view others have on Texas Tech. I think that the school size is just right, a few classes could be smaller. They ask why I didn't get in to A&M or UT but in reality I did get in to both of those schools. I spend most of my time in the SUB or Music Building on campus. College town. I feel that there should be more strict rules on admission. There is a ton of school pride. I will always remember marching on the field during halftime and running down the tunnels in pre-game with the Goin' Band.

There are different groups and fraternities for different people on campus, you will always find somewhere to fit in. I don't think any student could feel out of place at Texas Tech. Jeans and t-shirts. Different organizations, and sports. Most Tech students are from Texas. Most people are fairly wealthy to middle class. Students are politically active/aware. predominantly left. Yes.

No! There are very smart people from all over the world that choose to study at Texas Tech. Even though some students choose to party at Tech doesn't mean that all students do. I choose to spend my time studying rather then partying during the week and sometimes will go out on the weekends.

Some of my professors know my name. Biology is my favorite class because it interests me the most and keeps my interest the whole year. My least favorite class is organic chemistry, the teachers do not teach very well. It really depends on the person as to how much they study, I study at least 6 days a week. Classes are mostly lectures. Sometimes there are intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are competitive. The most unique class I've taken is psychology. I am a biology pre-med major, the advisors in the pre-med department aren't great but the biology advisors are, I have to take a ton of biology classes but it's fun! I don't spend time with professors outside of class. I think that Tech has good academic requirements. Texas Tech education is geared toward learning which will help you get a job in the long run!

Greek Life. Tau Beta Sigma is a music service sorority we provide service for the band and music building. no, most doors are kept closed. sports events are very popular.

People think that students that go to Tech are stupid and not as smart as those that go elsewhere. People also think that Tech is a huge party school, and no one does anything but party.

Karl

Lubbock isn't anything special but it has everything we need. Sometimes it's annoying that the town is so conservative and it's a dry county. You can't even go and get a bottle of wine (which is technically healthy for you). Lubbock needs a rude awakening about the reality of the world. Technically 3 or more unrelated females and/or males cannot live in the same apartment or house or else it would be seen as a whore house. That's pretty sad. Lubbock stinks. Tech is great and the students here generally love the school and the opportunities given.

The students are definitely moderate heavily leaning conservative. Lubbock is hardcore bible belt conservative. The campus is more diverse. Greek life is pretty big here at Tech, I believe about 25% of the campus is Greek. They all dress alike. You can just spot them all a mile away. It's hard to explain but when you come onto the Tech campus you'll notice a Greek, you'll just know who they are. I don't know if anyone would feel out of place. I guess it just depends on what type of friends you have, if you're willing to try and make friends. IF you take the time to meet new people you should be fine.

I like Tech. It's great and if I could do things all over again I would still pick to be a Red Raider. I bleed red and black.

No true at all. I was accepted to UT, TAMU and several other schools but I picked Tech because of the great engineering program and also I needed to get away from home. I love Tech and the people here are great. It's true that there are some students that are pretty dumb but in the end there are so many other great students that picked Tech over the other universities.

I can't speak for the other departments and/or colleges but Chemical Engineering at Tech is incredible. All the professors are like Cal Tech, MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc. graduates. They are brilliant and the classes are great. I learn a lot and my professors are awesome. I would dare say that most of them are so called "badasses." I cold care less about general education classes. I think it's a waste of time but I guess they want students to be well rounded. We have requirements from the standard English, History, Math, etc. to multicultural, technology and applied sciences. It's interesting. In the undergraduate levels the classes are definitely more practical and hands on. They have a lot of job fairs to help you get a job, no problem.

We came to Tech because we couldn't get in anywhere else.

There's lots to do. All freshmen have to live on campus their first year. Living on campus isn't the greatest, the halls are old, but there's always food, lots of food and a lot of my greatest memories come from living on campus. All my close friends are the ones on my floor. We do everything together. From midnight runs to Wal Mart to parties and studying we have fun. Living on campus isn't that bad. If you're looking for a relationship it's not that hard to find one. If you are single and happy you can stay that way no problem. Football is the biggest thing here at Tech. People camp out at night for some of the bigger games. Though we are known to have bad sportsmanship, all-in-all the students love their football, it's life down here. We go to games, we cheer, we taunt and we have fun. Basketball is pretty big as well, but because a lot of games are on the weekdays it's harder to go to.

Sara

Texas Tech University is one of the most incredible places on earth! I spend the last four years work ing on my undergradatue degree and loved it. I loved Lubbock and Texas Tech so much, that I stayed to pursue a Master's Degree! The campus is one of the most astonishing and relaxing places you will ever go. The aesthetic appeal is proudly promoted, and while we have the largest continuous college campus in the entire nation, surprisingly you can get to anywhere on campus in 15 minutes. The campus is easy to navigate, and feels like home. I have met some of the most incredible people attending this university. These people are the people I know will be in my life forever! Our athletics program is pretty stellar. While we may not be the best team in every sport all the time, our last bowl game in December was probably the most exciting game that I have ever seen, and we WON! We have over 200 students organizations, so there is something for everyone to get involved in. No matter what your interests, there are other people who are interested in the same things. Students who attend Texas Tech LOVE Texas Tech. Game days are one of the most exciting times. You see red and black all around you, with thousands of people gathering to support their team. (On a side note, learn the fight song when you attend any school, although preferably Texas Tech).

Texas Tech is one of the most accepting campuses I have ever been to. There is something for everyone to participate in. Over 200 student organizations exist to become a part of. If you do not want to get involved in an organization, you can always hang out with your floor. If you live on campus (which you should for at least a year because ti will be an incredible experience) you will have a group of 30-50 people living on your floor. This is a great opportunity to meet people. This is much more casual than joining an organization, and can be just as much fun. I was a Community Advisor (RA) for three years, and my floors of girls always enjoyed getting to know each other, and most of the time, those were their closest friends throughout the rest of their college career. Students range from conservative to liberal, genius to smart, large cities to small towns, religious to not religious, etc. Students include the entire spectrum. Everyone will find a place to fit in at Texas Tech, and will be able to call this their home.

All of the above stereotypes are false. There are endless amounts of things to do in Lubbock, Texas. I grew up in a big city (San Antonio), and I can honestly say that I am never bored in Lubbock. You can visit the Buddy Holly Museum, hang out in the Depot District, visit one of the three wineries surrounding Lubbock for a wine tour, and much much more. The stereotype that Texas Tech students have a high STD rate is also incorrect. The last quote that I heard was that Texas Tech actually had the second lowest STD/STI rate in the Big XII. The stereotype that Tech Tech is a party school is also wrong. Although you can party at Texas Tech, you can party at any University/College. If you want to party in college, you can get that from any school. Texas Tech however is not just a party school. Our school encourages athletics, education, personal development, and extracurricular involvement. The final stereotype is that students who cannot get into other universities come to Texas Tech. I can tell you that is certainly not true. One of my roomates came to Texas Tech all the way from California. Another close friend came to Texas Tech from Australia. My best friend from undergrad came to Texas Tech from Kansas. Texas Tech was the only school that I applied to. Texas Tech has an extremely diverse and desirable population. Students pick Texas Tech as their number one choice and come from as close as Post, Texas, to places from around the world.

The academics portion of Texas Tech is extremely strong. After all, that is what people come to school for. However, while academics are important, the administration and faculty encourage students to get involved and learn outside of the classroom as well. I was in the College of Human Sciences, and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. We have some of the best advisors in the nation (that is not just me bragging, they have won a lot of awards). Texas Tech focuses on furthering the university and its contribution to the pool of research. For instance, the creator of TCBY attended Texas Tech. With the exception of your core classes, classes are very manageable, most of the time no bigger than your high school class would have been. There are many options to help you with your classes so that everyone can excel, such as free tutoring, and the University Writing Center. Instructors also encourage a great deal of real world experience, such as internships, or experience in the field through classes. When you graduate from Texas Tech, you will feel that your education was worth all the money, time and effort that you spent. Not only will you be satisfied, you really will have a skill set that will prepare you for whatever it is that you want to achieve.

There are many stereotypes about Texas Tech and Texas Tech students. One such stereotype is that there is nothing to do in Lubbock. Another stereotype is that Texas Tech students all have STD's/STI's. An additional stereotype is that Texas Tech is a party school. A separate stereotype is that Texas Tech is just for students that did not get into other schools.

Texas Tech University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.