Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

I will be a lifelong fan and supporter of Tech because of the great experience I have had there. It's a place to get away for a couple of years and meet friends you will have for life. Most of the bad things you will hear about Tech are from close minded people who have never been to West Texas and never grow out of there high school life near their hometowns. Being in the only big city for hours around means everybody is looking for friends and you will meet people from all over. The weather is great if you can get over an occasional dust storm and rare southeastern wind which brings the smell of the cattle lot into town. This accounts for most complaints you will hear. The town of Lubbock is getting better each year, with blocks of new apartments accross from the football stadium offering a perfect college atmosphere. Theres a saying "Lubbock or Leave It" which I find perfect to tell people because everyone I know either falls in love with Tech or doesn't ever give it a chance.

Don't come here if you are looking for something exciting. There is nothing exciting about this place. The most fun I had is when I did a congressional internship through TTU. I worked in Washington DC in the House of Reps. for a congressman. TTU has a great setup for students in that program. Come here if you like to: wear ugg boots and shorts, say "bro", "dude," "boss," and other typical frat words, if you like to fake tan, bleach your hair, at like an idiot, be a slut, get arrested for drunk driving (this is a try town you will be making trips out into the country for beer and it sucks), be made fun of by people that go to other bigger universities that actually win sporting events, live in the middle of a dirt field, like the smell of cows and like the smell of oil, want to meet some of the biggest creepers you have ever seen, and if you want to go greek.

Final advice- Don't judge Tech on Lubbock. Lubbock it's not as easy on the eyes as say somewhere along the coast, but the campus is what makes Lubbock. Tech was not my first choice but once I came here and saw the campus, met the people and got involved I absolutely loved it!! I was the best choice I could have made. If you come for a visit definitely check out Spanky's, they have the best fried cheese sticks in the world. Chimy's is a bar on Broadway and it is known for some of the strongest margaritas and the best place to go when you’re done with class on a Friday afternoon. Cactus Courtyard, Blue light, JFK's, Bar PM, Crickets and Rocky La Rue's are the most popular bars. You're guaranteed a good time, live music, and lots of drinks and dancing. T.C. Ellis, Chrome, and All About Moi can satisfy any shopping urges you might have.

I am currently enrolled at Texas Tech University for the 09-10 year. I recently got accepted to Southern Methodist University and I will be going there this upcoming fall. Texas Tech is wonderful but SMU is more suitable for me. SMU is a nationally recognized university for its programs in Business, Science, and the Arts. SMU is in the outskirts of Dallas which is surrounded by other cities; it?s great because you can be closer to family. Lastly SMU was recently ranked in Forbes magazine as the 13th best university in the United States.

Texas Tech has an expansive list of degree programs and areas of study and I found this appealing for a few reasons. It means the creation of a diverse study body as students are drawn to renowned programs from all over; exposure to new ideas, cultures, and people; and the opportunity to change our paths should we discover that our chosen majors are no longer a good fit. Self-discovery and awareness occur when we step out on our own and I couldn’t have chosen a better institution to serve as my home for those formative years.

The most unique aspect of Texas Tech is the overall pride and school spirit for everything that involves the red raiders. The football games are truly an unworldly experience, and all of the fans are so in love with Texas Tech. Other schools had claimed that the school pride is very high, but none of them amounted to Texas Tech?s. I now have a serious sense of pride when I say where I attend college. I also enjoyed that all of the surrounding areas in Lubbock were equally as obsessed with the school as the students.

It is a very large campus and they do a nice job of keeping it clean and pretty. The teachers, at least in the art department really encourage you and teach you how to take your ideas 18 steps further. By the end product you have created something that is both beautiful and conceptual. In highschool I never really applied myself, so Tech was one of the only schools that took me. I have developed into somebody that I am proud to be, I have a high moral, and good work ethic. I am thankful they gave me a shot

Texas Tech is unique because it is a bigger university with a small home town feeling. Lubbock is not that big of a town, yet it is focused mainly on Texas Tech. Everyone rallies behind and supports the university. Although there are large amounts of students, you are still able to see your friends walking across campus, but have the chance to meet new people along the way. There are so many different people here, yet when it all comes down to it everyone is proud to be a Red Raider and everyone is family.

The most unique thing about Texas Tech is the environment, especially for those who did not grow up in West Texas. West Texas has a culture that is steeped in traditions, where chivalry is quite alive and people are proud to be Texans. This culture can be intimidating for those who are not familiar with it, and thus I would advise new students, because although it might not seem like it, most West Texans are more open-minded than they appear, and just as nice as they seem.

Texas Tech is the best school for me. It is unique in that the city it is located (Lubbock, TX), is just about 5 1/2 hours from home for me. This distance is just far enough that I feel that I have my own independence, but not so far away that it becomes hard for me to return home. It also has about 35,000 students attending, so it is easy to make a variety of friends and meet new, interesting people. I love Texas Tech and all it's traditions.