Texas Tech University Top Questions

The stereotype of Lubbock in general is the STD capital of the US. Because I am abstinent, I wouldn't know about that first-hand, but I have witnessed the unfortunate effects of alcohol. People here do like to drink - a lot.

Laekan

The most common misconception about Texas Tech University is that we are a party school that doesn’t care about academics, but the truth is Texas Tech has consistently been recognized by its peers, students, and alumni as an amazing and progressive University. Texas Tech’s Rawls College of Business was listed as one of the best business schools in the country by the Princeton Review, Tech’s School of Law was the only law school in Texas to be ranked in the top 20 this year by Prelaw magazine, and the University as a whole earned a top-tier ranking among national Universities in this year’s edition of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News and World Report. Now, don’t get me wrong, the student body at Texas Tech is every bit as passionate, rowdy, and fun-loving as you would expect, but it all stems from a deep rooted pride in our University and its traditions and it should be considered just one of the many things that makes Texas Tech such a great school.

Laekan

Clint

Not at all. There are definately great parties but I've been to other schools with parties I liked, if you want to party they are there and they are fun. Lubbock county does have high STD percentages because of the high schools, but Tech actually has lower STD percentages than most schools in the Big 12. There is everything to do in Lubbock which I will explain below, if you can't find anything to do your just not sociable. I could have got into ANY university in the state. I chose Tech because I love the people and the campus, and I wanted to see something different from what I grew up around in Central Texas.

No not completely there is something to offer to every different group of people.

not at all. there are people from everywhere!

stephanie

The stereotype of Texas Tech students being rowdy and party animals is not entirely true. Sure, there are students at football games that tend to get rowdy, but it comes with the territory of a football or basketball game. Also, not all the students at TTU are huge party animals that do nothing but party. There are many students at school who make time for school and parties.

My money says " HACK NO !" ....DON'T PLAY W/ Texas Tech !!!

Tech has a big Greek system, meaning it's big on parties. However, for those people that aren't into the party scene there is a large number of other things to do. We have outdoor theaters, intermural sports, theatrical shows, and concerts just to name a few. Unfortunately, Tech does have a lot of tumbleweeds! But as for the horses thing...come on we're in the 21st century, us "Techsans" have upgraded to cars just like the rest of the world! Football is huge here. On game days it would be hard to find a student not decked out in red and black and tailgating at Raidergate.

not at all. some are rich but some kids actually worked hard to get there and appreciate the school.

Kendall

yes, lots of hot girls, frat daddies, sorority girls, and really rude fans at games no, the city of lubbock teenagers has a high std rate, not the students in college. its affectionately called the "lubbock rash"

Kellianne

somewhat

Not really. I am from a small town so Lubbock is pretty big to me!!

Not at all.... Well, not the first two at least. Tech is actually a really great school academic-wise. There will always be those few idiots that rode in on their parents' money, but for the most part raiders are pretty smart. And the STD problem is merely a bad rumor probably started by one of our rival universities. Lubbock, itself (i.e. bored high school students), actually does have a bit of an STD problem, but not Texas Tech.

No

Bevan

No. Because if a person truly say what they are they will act upon that. For example I'm a Youth Minister, if I don't do anything with the youth that means I not a youth minsiter.

Well, there are some bad apples in the bunch that do go a bit overboard with being mean to visitors for another team on game day. But then again, it's all good and fun.

YES

Connie

No, alot of people come to Tech because it was either the only school in Texas they applied to or they truly wanted to come to. Tech does know how to party and the people her are really gorgeous.

yes

craig

we do drink but who doesn't? squares thats who!

n/a

Audrey

#1) We are NOT a small school just because we are located in the boondocks of NW Texas. We are almost as big as A&M and since Tech is looking to expand student enrollment over the next few years we will probably even out grow A&M. PLUS we have the largest campus in Texas and i believe the most beautiful as well! You have to come visit! #2) Every college is a party school. Whenever you put together a ton of young adults with complete freedom for the first time in one place, you are going to have some wild parties going on. If you want good parties we have those, if you want excellent academics we have that also. With large schools come even larger oportunities. #3) Not everyone gets into Texas Tech. Yes, Tech is more easy to get into than a Ivy League School but that doesn't mean that they accept everyone. Plus, who cares if its not extremely hard to get into. It's not getting in that counts, it's being a success once you get in. Texas Tech is finally getting some of the credit and publicity it deserves and i believe we will only keep rising from here.

Diana

I don't think so, I'm not a heavy drinker and I definitely don't have STD's. I didn't want to go To A&M or UT, I chose Tech because of the school spirit and it has a great Interior Design school. It's a beautiful campus and the wind doesn't always blow. It only smells like cows when a front comes in. And yes, our fans can get bad, but it's not everyone, and not everyone participates in it.

No they are not, okay a lot of people do party but thats at every college. Um raider rash is applied to the High School students in Lubbock not the college students. Everybody cannot get accepted in Tech. We are a very spirited school other schools are turned off because we are very passionate about sports especially football.

Some. Greek life is HUGE here. Most people are cowboys... if not, like 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of people love country music and thats the only bands that come here. OK, about this Raider Rash. It is not true. Lubbock County as a whole has the highest STD rate, but you have to realize, there are like 3 or 4 highschools plus 3 colleges. So, it is not just Texas Tech that contributes to the STD count.

Most of them. Most people try to put themselves in the stereotypes.

I would say our "country-ness" is probably pretty close to any other Texas school. We may, however, beat them in the roughneck, bad sportsmanship part. I have seen many a fight started by a boot wearing boy in a red and black, Tech t-shirt. But we definitely have beautiful girls and more money than people know what to do with...and yes that money is spread between hippies, frats, artists, and non-frat people.

Brandi

Definitely not! Tech is one of the hardest schools to get into now and everyone i know is pretty clean.

No, I think TTU students have a lot of school spirit and the way they express it is sometimes taken too far. As far as Lubbock goes, Texas Tech is the center of the city. There are so many students here that absolutely love the campus and the small town life. It definitely creates an atmosphere that almost makes you grow closer with the entire student body.

Although you can find cowboys,there are also non-cowboys. People do enjoy going out and drinking Tech students work just as hard as they play.

Edgar

No way!! First of all Austin is just wierd And Aggies are Aggies which nobody really knows what that is and Tech Beats them all the time....

Colin

We definitely have a strong education system, it is plenty challenging. I think that other schools say that just because they are trying to put us down. However, the other 2 are completely accurate.

Owen

No, these are in no war accurate about most people at TTU

No, the campus is actually clean, it's the city of Lubbock that's the dirty part. To an extent, we are bad when it comes to sportsmanship but we are not the worst.

Absolutely not, every college have a few loud and crazy individuals, but as for the masses, they are respectful, intelligent, and polite people who are here because they want to be here. There is no where else I would rather be.

Definitely not. There are students from all over Texas and all over the nation and world who attend Tech. It is nice and diverse and you will find all sorts of students and faculty. You will have the flamboyant and crazy professors and the conservative professors. Same goes with students. You will find the boy from small town Texas and you will find the New York City girl.

Tech is a party school yes. But I believe one can attain a quality education.

Tessa

Yes, we have a lot of fraternity and sorority students on campus. we also do show much spirit and support for our school.

Nope!

It may be harder for some individuals to get accepted to those two universities, however, I do not see why the comments are made. Texas Tech is a superb university and the opportunities it presents are outstanding. I do not see why people think we are not on the same scale as UT or A&M.

Cathy

Not at all. Yeah its a small city, but we have a lot of places to go and hang out. Plus, in case they didn't notice, even though Lubbock is a dry county, there is no sign of it. It looks like another college town.

Royce

The students at Texas Tech don't get drunk everyday, only on weekends. Also, even though Lubbock County has the highest rate of STD's in the state of Texas, Texas Tech is the cleanest part of the town, so not every has an STD...just don't screw around with the locals (just kidding). And like I mentioned in the stereotypes, the thing about the greek life is true everywhere so tech is not an exception.

For the most part, the stereotypes are not accurate in that many of us originated from big cities and not all people are ignorant. Infact, the Tech students are friendly and helpful. There are always those bad apples in the bunch, but they cannot compare to the good on this campus. As far as A&M and UT, I chose Tech because it offered something different, something unique. Tech offered spirit, loyal fans, friendliness and a family. The people make up Texas tech, and althought some have strayed against southern hospitality, it is still a great place to be.

Jackie

No! There are very smart people from all over the world that choose to study at Texas Tech. Even though some students choose to party at Tech doesn't mean that all students do. I choose to spend my time studying rather then partying during the week and sometimes will go out on the weekends.

Karl

No true at all. I was accepted to UT, TAMU and several other schools but I picked Tech because of the great engineering program and also I needed to get away from home. I love Tech and the people here are great. It's true that there are some students that are pretty dumb but in the end there are so many other great students that picked Tech over the other universities.

All of the above stereotypes are false. There are endless amounts of things to do in Lubbock, Texas. I grew up in a big city (San Antonio), and I can honestly say that I am never bored in Lubbock. You can visit the Buddy Holly Museum, hang out in the Depot District, visit one of the three wineries surrounding Lubbock for a wine tour, and much much more. The stereotype that Texas Tech students have a high STD rate is also incorrect. The last quote that I heard was that Texas Tech actually had the second lowest STD/STI rate in the Big XII. The stereotype that Tech Tech is a party school is also wrong. Although you can party at Texas Tech, you can party at any University/College. If you want to party in college, you can get that from any school. Texas Tech however is not just a party school. Our school encourages athletics, education, personal development, and extracurricular involvement. The final stereotype is that students who cannot get into other universities come to Texas Tech. I can tell you that is certainly not true. One of my roomates came to Texas Tech all the way from California. Another close friend came to Texas Tech from Australia. My best friend from undergrad came to Texas Tech from Kansas. Texas Tech was the only school that I applied to. Texas Tech has an extremely diverse and desirable population. Students pick Texas Tech as their number one choice and come from as close as Post, Texas, to places from around the world.

Brad

Everyone knows saying "all" in that way is always going to be wrong. But Texas Tech is a large state-funded university just like many other Division I schools out there, and while I know its not the best option in Texas, its certainly still a very good school to go to. And as far as the fan stereotype, it is mostly true. Its as true as a stereotype can be at least. Of course not all of the students are loud and obnoxious (I'm not, and I think some of the things we do towards other teams are just embarrassing, and I don't do those things), but an overwhelming bunch are. Yes, other school's fans yell and scream and even say offensive things, but some Tech students don't leave the stadium with respect toward the other school at the end of the day. This is one of my biggest disappointments in going to Tech. I've got to say, the hottie stereotype holds up. This one is also true.

The stereotypes are not accurate. Yes, Lubbock is very conservative but at Tech you will find a good mixture of students always ready to discuss and debate different points of views. We have conservative professsors and we have liberal professors, we have a nice balance at the university. The university is on the rise and continuing to grow and make a difference in the world. We have some of the most incredible research int he nation today. One of our most famous one is the Pulsed Power and Power Electronics program in which we are working to deactivate IED's (improvised explosive devices) in Iraq before they detonate. We are saving lives. Even more important is the fact that the only two other universities selected by the U.S. Government for this research is MIT and CIT. We are par with some of the best and top universities in the world. Yes, there are students at Tech who settled because they could not get acceptance into some of the other, larger, more state funded universities but the majority is not true. A lot of people, valedictorians, honor roll students come to Tech for the atmosphere and the expanding and growing education. Here at Tech we're not just numbers on a sheet we're Techsans and our professors and staff always try to help us to grow and meet our fullest potential. The programs here are continuing to grow and we have some of the best facilities and programs in Texas if not the nation. It's the perfect time to be at Tech. The fact is that Tech is large enough for you to spread your wings and find yourself but it is small enough for you to meet your future bridesmaids and groomsmen. No matter where you are, no matter what path you take after Tech, once you are a red raider you will always be a part of our family. At Texas Tech you can always find a home away from home.