Texas Tech University Top Questions

Tiffany

I have not attended a class at Texas Tech yet but I will give an update to this question in the future.

Katherine

Challenging but I love learning new things!

Oludolapo

.

Dylan

Academics here are fantastic. The classes vary greatly in size. In some of the larger classes, interaction with the professors are a little limited, but all instructors keep regular office hours where you can get to know them and get any help if you need it. In some of the smaller classes, there is much class participation encouraged and even sometimes required. I enjoy both formats. My major is Excercise and Sport Sciences, and I am taking prerequisites for medical school as well. My favorite class here are the biology classes. I know that may sound crazy to some, but the Biology professors at Tech are, in my opinion, second to none. Many people don't agree with me because the class is very challenging, but it is an oppurtunity to get a very, very good education in biology. The Texas Tech School of Medicine and the School of Law are both very respected programs in the nation, and provide a great place to further your education. As somebody who places importance on grades and GPA for grad school, I can say that there is great academic oppurtunity at Texas Tech.

Oludolapo

Almost all the professors i've had know my name, my favorite class i've had so far is An Introduction to Cinema class, i got to learn how a lot about movies and how to criticize them. My least favorite class so far was a Python/c++ Programming class. Students often study at the library or at the study rooms at the dorms, students also get help from free Tutors available on campus. Class participation is quite common, every semester i always have a class where i have intellectual conversations with people outside class. Students are quite competitive, there are always people getting a perfect score on an exam and someone that could always explain things to you in class. The most unique i've taken is a Sports in World Culture class. I'm currently in the Rawls college of Business, and once i'm done with my lower division requirements i'll be an Accounting Major. The people in the department are very helpful. I spend time with professors outside class especially when i need help trying to understand what was taught in class. The academic requirements aren't easy but anyone who's determined can easily graduate. The education at Texas Tech is geared towards getting a job and gaining as much knowledge as possible, students are encouraged to get internships and join professional organizations.

Chinwe

Succeeding academically always depends on the person. It doesn't matter what school you attend. If you are going to be the kind of person who just coasts by and doesn’t use the resources your university offers, don’t expect good result academically. Thankfully, Texas Tech provides a large number of resources to help students succeed. First of all, having a good professor can be the key to doing well or poorly in a class. I have to admit that I’ve had some professors that I couldn’t stand, but I wasn’t going to let them prevent me from being successful in my classes. This has only happened to me a few times, but to solve my problem of not understanding the material, I found another professor who taught the same subject and received help from them. It was a simple fix to a potentially disastrous problem. For subjects like math or English, Texas Tech offers specific services to help students when teachers aren’t enough. In the math department, a student tutoring service called the Missouri Club helps anyone struggling in the various areas of math. For all the writers, The Writing Center, located in the English building allows students to make appointments to receive assistance for editing papers. Both these services are free to all students. As far as classes and professors go, it is good to do research before registering for classes. Class sizes reduce in size as you move up in your degree. Freshman and sophomore classes are generally bigger than junior and senior level classes. The best way to make sure your professor knows who you are, is by sitting in the “hot spot.” This area consists of the first three rows and the center section of the class. You can be determined like me and sit in the very center seat of the first row. It makes for awkward eye contact with professors, but it’s worth it. I had a professor write a recommendation for me solely based on the fact that I sat on the front row and made eye contact with him. This spot is perfect for me because I can make a connection with my professor without having to say very much. I tend to be shy in class so meeting outside of class with my professors helps build stronger relationships. Studying outside of class always determines how well students do. No matter the major, if you don’t study for anything, you probably won’t do well unless you’re just a genius. Study groups are great and they help further intellectual conversations started in class. My academic experience at Texas Tech has been a good one. I am getting two degrees in Technical Communication and Public Relations with a minor in Mass Communications all while in the Honors College. It gets overwhelming at times, but I enjoy every minute of it. Technical Communication is under the English department in Arts and Sciences. Public Relations is under the Mass Communications department. Thankfully, both degrees deal with writing which is what I enjoy doing. The most interesting class I’ve taken has to be Interaction Design. I learned to design prototypes with the needs of the user in the forefront of the design process. It is one of my favorite classes I’ve taken. Most students don’t spend time with professors outside of class unless they need help with a topic in their class. Personally, I spend a large amount of time with two professors outside of class. One professor serves as my mentor and I participate in undergraduate research with the other. Texas Tech offers a foundation for students to go out and make names for themselves in their chosen fields. It’s not about solely getting a job, but rather, establishing a long lasting career.

Chinwe

Chinwe

Jacqueline

Academically, Texas Tech is what you make it. My professors certainly know my name, and I have great relations with them because I stay on top of my work and participate in class. Professors really like participation! Certainly, you may have a few Large lecture classes with 400 + students and the professor may not know your name, but in my smaller classes my teachers know me well, and if you attend class and do your assignments they will certainly know you as well. Again, it is important to organize your time and make sure you set a certain amount of time each week to study. Time spent studying varies on the amount of hours you're taking, and you as an individual. Tech does however have a large, and beautiful library as well as online databases, and private tutors should you need further assistance in any class. Honestly, Texas Tech provides all the tools and resources you need that can help you achieve academic excellence. Also, Tech considers their students even after college. For instance, Tech has a career services center which is a free and wonderful resource for finding internships and jobs both during and after your time at Texas Tech. At the career services center, students can talk to advisors who help them on a path towards a career, set up mock interviews, and also help edit their resumes to make themselves marketable. Additionally, Tech provides many job fairs throughout the year where businesses and organizations come to Tech to try and reach out to students for internships as well as jobs. Sure Tech looks good because of its high achieving students, but Texas Tech certainly doesn't do it just for looks. Texas Tech wants to graduate successful young adults so that the may represent the Red Raiders in the real world.

Laekan

On average 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students who apply to Texas Tech University are granted admittance. We are a very large University and provide opportunities for almost 30,000 students to receive higher education. Although the enrollment process may not be as competitive as it is at other top Universities, the academics are just as challenging and demand the best from every student, professor, and staff member. As a student majoring in English, I was lucky to have small classes with, on average, a 15:1 student to teacher ratio. Every class consisted of a teacher led discussion and since the class sizes were so small, every student had the opportunity to provide their input and actively participate. I developed a strong student teacher relationship with many of my professors and over the course of my academic career they were there to support me and celebrate my successes even though I was no longer a student in their class. Most of my professors, even those that had been teaching at the University for a substantial amount of time, were incredibly invested in their students and often allowed the curriculum to evolve to better satisfy our interests. As students, we were always their main priority and it felt great to always have someone on your side when it came to dealing with administrative issues, scheduling conflicts, or any other problems having to do with the University. My professors were able to inspire and encourage me so that even in this poor economy, I feel confident that I will be able to make my way into the professional world.

Cassidy

Like at any school, there are professors who know what they are doing and professors who do not have a clue. I have noticed that the older ones are better, because they have the experience under their belts. The professor will more likely come to know your name in a smaller class setting. That is kind of common sense. It does feel good when he/she does know your name though. It makes me feel like I'm not just a number. Especially because at orientation, freshman are given "R#'s" that is basically your identification until you graduate. So it can make one feel small, but with the genuine kindness of the professors, it's easy to feel like #1! I do believe that the professors and what they teach provoke thought for students, because no matter where I go, I hear conversations that refer to a class discussion. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that gets into the details in class and talks about them. And it's really cool knowing that college is not required, like high school is, so everyone at college wants to be there. They have a passion that they want to fulfill and learning happens to be part of that path. Plus, what's not to love about picking your own classes?! For example, I am an English major (if you couldn't tell by my special attention to grammar and whatnot). There are a couple specialties I couldn't chosen under the English major and I chose Creative Writing. In order to get my required hours under this degree, there are many many different English classes to pick from, according to my desires. That is just in English! I also have my requirements for sciences, technology, visual and performing arts, personal fitness and wellness, and history. In my opinion, some of the requirements are pointless. For instance, the electives I will have to take. After writing down my undergraduate plan for classes with all my required ones, I still lack eleven hours to fill just to meet my 120 hours degree requirement. Those eleven hours will have to be filled with electives, which are classes that just take up my time for no reason because I am technically finished with my requirements!! That's something I do not agree with. Academics are overall great. I really enjoy my classes, professors, and classmates.

Kelsey

The academics here at Texas Tech can be rigorous depending on the classes that you take. All of the professors want you to be successful and want to help you as much as they possibly can. Depending on the classes you take sometimes the classes can be very big (about a hundred students) but for the most part classes are small (15-20 students). A lot of the classes are taught by graduate students which I think is great because graduate students know exactly how you feel and what you are going through because, only a few years before, they were exactly where you are at right now. I, as an English major, love my major. I love the classes that I get to take. There are so many options when it comes to choosing classes which is one of the advantages of attending a big university. Overall if you just apply yourself in your classes you will succeed and the professors are there to help with whatever you need.

Megan

I appreciate the way classes are set up at Texas Tech because, for most classes, you have the option of registering for either small, intimate classes or large lecture-style classes. This makes it possible to form your class schedule around your learning style and your academic interests. For example, I chose classes of 30 or less people for my English classes because I knew I would benefit from class discussions and having a professor who knew me personally, but chose lecture classes of 200 or more people for classes such as history and political science, where I was only interested in passing the class to fulfill my core requirements. My favorite classes at Tech have all been my American Sign Language classes. I have had three different teachers in three semesters, and every one has taken the time to get to know me as an individual rather than as just another student. I feel this has been especially beneficial because it is much easier to pick up on a foreign language when you feel comfortable with the person you are attempting to converse with. My least favorite class was probably political science. I am not a fan of politics in general, and the fact that this was a class of 250 students where the professor still insisted on a seating chart and taking attendance every day made me feel like I was attending a giant kindergarden class. Luckily, most professors I have had treat the students as competent adults interested in learning rather than small children who need to be babysat and guided step-by-step through the year. Student participation and competitiveness has definitely depended on the class. My major is communication studies with an emphasis on interpersonal communication, I am an English minor, and, were I not graduating a year early, would also be an American Sign Language minor. In the two and a half years I have been here, I have found that in core classes such as history and lower level math classes, it is clear the students are interested only in passing and moving onto classes they are more interested in. However, in all of my major/minor-specific classes the students have been very engaged, ready to learn, and come to class prepared. The professors in these classes especially take an interest in not only teaching the curriculum, but in really passing along knowledge and skills necessary for the students to succeed in their future careers.

Lillia

The courses offered are very interesting. I always found something I'd be interested in taking that was relevant to my major/minor. However, the quality of the classes heavily depended on the professor. My favorite teacher only taught for two semesters before leaving. My favorite course was Visual Communications because, for once, both the teacher and the content were fun and interesting.

The begining classes at Tech can be quite large, anywhere from 75 to 340. When you start getting into your upper level classes is when the size dwindles down and teachers begin to remember your name. My favorite class was Governments of Western Europe. The class was interesting and I learned about the different governments of the countries. My least favorite class was Intorduction to Political Analysis. The class delt with the statistics of voting records and how you could apply them to todays findings. We do have an honor college on campus, which can make some student jealous. But student competition is not frequent. My major is Political Science. I came to Tech with about 30 high school credit hourse which put me in already upper level classes. The Political Science department is incredibely helpful with its students. I usually go to professors office hours only when I need help with assignments or tests. I believe the education at Texas Tech is geared towards getting a job. Teachers train students to be fully able to take on whatever is thrown at them.

Alexander

Academics at Texas Tech through my experience thus far has been very rewarding. There are many classes at Tech that have a lot of students in them which makes it hard for professors to really get to know you. But do not be mistaken by this, it is not how all classes are neither does it take away from the overall knowledge you can gain from that class. I just recently have been able to experience smaller classes at Tech where the professors do know your name and are more hands-on making it a much more enjoyable experience. My favorite and the most unique class I've taken thus far was actually one of these small classes that I was able to experience just this year. It was an English course that taught about the history of books and how they came to be the way they are today. It was nice because not only did my professor know me, but she was also very hands on in helping me develop into a better writer. When thinking about what my least favorite class I would have to choose my Biology course which was one of my larger classes. What made this course my least favorite was not only the class size itself, but also the fact that science is not my strong suit. Classes at Texas Tech are made even better because of the majority of students that are committed to doing well and studying. The commitment to success that many students have provides for intelligent conversations outside of the classroom between majors and non-majors as well as competitiveness between the two. I myself am an English major and am proud to say it because I believe the staff that Tech has provided me thus far has helped me in developing as a writer and critical thinker. Outside of the classroom like many other students I know, I love talking to my mechanical engineering friends about what's going on in their classes as well as mine and competing with them when it comes to making good grades. This makes for large amounts of in class discussions which makes for the learning experience to be that much better. Texas Tech's professors always have their doors open to any students with issues or problems ready to help. At Tech I am never afraid to contact or see my professor about any issue I might have. When thinking about the overall academic requirements of the school I would say that it is just right for any major and will lend a hand to making that student as successful as they want to be in the future. The education is both geared to not only to helping a student get a job for the future but so that the student may come out having learned something for the sake of learning.

Alexander

Academics at Texas Tech through my experience thus far has been very rewarding. There are many classes at Tech that have a lot of students in them which makes it hard for professors to really get to know you. But do not be mistaken by this, it is not how all classes are neither does it take away from the overall knowledge you can gain from that class. I just recently been able to experience smaller classes at Tech where the professors do know your name and are more hands-on making it a much more enjoyable experience. My favorite and the most unique class I've taken thus far was actually one of these small classes that I was able to experience just this year. It was and English course that taught about the history of books and how they came to be the way they are today. It was nice because not only did my professor know me, but she was also very hands on in helping me develop into a better writer. When thinking about what my least favorite class I would have to choose my Biology course which was one of my larger classes. What made this course my least favorite was not only the class size, but also the fact that science is not my strong suit. Classes at Texas Tech are made even better because of the majority of students that are committed to doing well and studying. The commitment to success that many students have provides for intelligent conversations out of class between majors and non-majors as well as competitiveness between the two. I myself am an English major and proud to say it because i believe the staff that Tech has provided me thus far has helped me in develop as a writer and critical thinker. Outside of the classroom like many other students I know, I love talking to my mechanical engineering friends about what's going on in their classes as well as mine and competing with them when it comes to making good grades. This makes for large amounts of in class discussions which makes for the learning experience to be that much better. Texas Tech's professors always have their doors open to any students with issues or problems ready to help. At Tech I am never afraid to contact or see my professor about any issue I might have. When thinking about the overall academic requirements of the school I would say that it is just right for any major and will lend a hand to making that student as successful as they want to be in the future. The education is both geared to not only helping a student get a job for the future but so that the student may come out having learned something for the sake of learning.

Andrew

Many of the common Freshman courses have large auditorium style lectures, where the professor will not likely know your name, but as you move up in the classes for your major the classes become smaller. When you get into major specific classes, many of them have 20-40 students where you can get to know your professor and them you. Time management is the most important aspect of college, especially your first and second years. Many classes require outside reading and large problem sets for freshman. You have to complete the homework and many classes require attendance, and most of them are impossible if you do not attend. Don't this scare you though, if you are studious and attend class and complete the homework the tests are usually not too difficult.

Professors at Texas Tech range from a wide variety of teaching levels. My favorite class here so far has to have been Biology lecture with Dr. Dini. Everyone I had talked to about this class before hand said it would be hard, and don't get me wrong, it was, but it was one of the more rewarding classes I have taken at Texas Tech because I had to work hard for my grade. Students were willing to help each other understand the material and at the same time wanted to do the best they could to succeed. It has been so incredible as far as furthering my education and preparing me for medical school and the rest of my education as a Biochemistry major. My least favorite class, by far, was my Intro to Library class. This class was meant to give students a way to get around the library. While it was informative, was incredibly boring and many of the assignments were repetitive.

Clint

Academics at Tech are DEFINATELY on the uphill swing. Tech gets a bad rep from older parents and grandparents because they remember Tech from when it was still a relatively young school, being built decades after Texas and Texas A&M were. It takes a university time to build well known academic programs, which Tech now successfully has. The architecture school is top in the state and very difficult to be in. I know several people who changed majors because of how time consuming it was. The law school is ranked in the top 10 in the nation for what your getting and the price. The engineering school offers several great degrees, mine being in construction technology. My teachers all know my name and it is easy to meet with a teacher or find people who will help you out if you need it. They are about to break ground on a new business school which will be as nice as any in the state. My roomate came to Tech for the Exercise and Sports Science degree which has become very popular. I also know several people from back home who transfered (or tried to transfer) in from other universities for the nursing school. It's easy to find a good degree and there are plenty of options which I love about a larger school.

Alex

Core classes tended to be bigger, but once I got into the classes for my major they were extremly small. My professors always knew my name. Even in big classes they would always have office hours if you needed help. I loved it. Class participation is a must in most of my classes. My favorite class was my ADRS class where I learned all about addiction. My major is Community, Family, and Addiction Services so most of my classes involve learning about substance abuse and things like that. I love it. I feel very challenged at times but it always turns out okay.

stephanie

Academics at TTU are great because there is usually a great student to teacher ratio in the classroom. Normally, I am only enrolled in one lecture class, which is normally a science or history. All of my other classes usually have around 30-40 students, and by the end of the semester, the teachers usually know everyones' names. The academic requirements at Texas Tech are sufficient for a student's major, and the education is geared toward getting a job or internship.

Jamie

Almost all professors are cool with students and care about their students. Harder we try, harder they want to help each one of us. However, Biology class is the hardest class at Texas Tech I heard. Most students are very competitive unless they want to get kicked out after the first year of their college life !! Tech ain't easy guys !! :)

The core curriculum classes that everyone has to take are usually very large and done in lecture halls. It is difficult to get to know your professors because there are so many students in a single class that they don’t have enough time to get to know each student personally. In classes that are lecture style, I usually make an effort to visit my professors during their office hours because they like to see that you are taking an incentive to ask questions and it can benefit you in the end if they can associate a face with a name. However, when you get to more upper level classes, the number of students in each class gets smaller and you have some of the same professors for several classes. You really get to know them and they are more than willing to help you if you have any questions or problems in their classes. I am a senior public relations major and have noticed that most of my classes last year and this year have all been in the same 3 buildings taught by professors I’ve had before, which makes it easier for me to know what to expect from the professor. Texas Tech’s education is geared at both getting a job and learning for its own sake. There is an array of elective classes that students can take just because they are interested in the subject. Each major has some open spots that students can choose to fill with classes they’re interested in rather than classes that strictly involve their major. For example, I took a psychology class that ended up being one of the most interesting courses I’ve ever taken and it had nothing to do with public relations. There is also a very helpful career center and advisors located in each college that help students get an idea of what type of career they may be interested in pursing. I took my resume to the career center and told her a few things I want in a future career. She edited my resume so that it was perfect to send off, and started sending me e-mails every week or so of lists of companies that were hiring (both full-time positions and internships) that had some of the qualities I was looking for. Tech’s academic requirements aren’t too challenging but studying is a must, especially when you get into the upper level courses more specific to your major. The general courses that everyone has to take were not too hard and students that have already taken the class are more than happy to tell others which professors are the hardest and which are the easiest.

Overall i really enjoyed the classes i was enrolled in this year. Most of my favorite courses were all art classes, mainly because the classes were smaller than 20 people which made the course fun and interactive. Some of the bigger classes i took were up to 200 or so, those classes were pretty much just showing up and maybe meeting a handful of people but those don't really give you the time to get to know the students really well or be able to talk to your professor except for the min or two after class ends....

Kellianne

In larger classes professors typically don't know your name, but if you go to office hours they may know your name. But in smaller classes professors do know your name usually.

Some profs know my name, but others don't really care to bother with it. I am very competitive with my grades compared to friends. I hate Politcal Science. I think learning at Tech is geared toward job findings...or at least my classes are.

Ryan

The classes are mostly pretty small, actually. There are a few classes that are lecture room style with 600 or so students, but not many. For the most part, depending on your major, most of your classes will be 30 students or less. The teachers are pretty good about knowing your name and helping you out. I don't have many T.A.'s teaching my classes, but I do have a lot of classes where T.A.'s do a lot of the grading, taking roll, etc. If you're going to nursing school or majoring in engineering, education, or journalism, Tech has EXCELLENT programs for all of the above.

Cody

THe academics at Texas Tech are amazing with great & caring professors,there is always tutorials available as well as a First Year College Experience program.

Bevan

They are the best. I'm in the #1 Personal Financial Planning School in the Nation

Alex

Professors around the campus pretty much know your name only depends on the class size and if you're the student that always asks questions. Honestly, my least favorite class is Political Science. I haven't had a favorite class yet...but it's pretty cool if you have funny classmates. Like every other students at any other school we only study if we are going to have an exam and mostly the day or weekend before.

I attended another college before TTU and I think that the classes at TTU are significantly easier than classes at other collges. You do get to know your prof and your classmates pretty well. The Addictive Disorders and Recovery Studies program is probably the best and one of the most personal programs at TTU. Most programs within the Human Sciences major are great and the teachers really care about your sucess. Intellectual converstaions outside of class are limited. Most of the people that go here think they have the world figured out and live in their conservative mindset with out properly defending their remarks. I think the teachers try to expand the ideas and beliefs of the students but they often dont succeed because many of the students are to busy trying to look cool to actually think about things that are comming up in discussions.

Connie

Everything varies here. Some majors are amazing and some need work. The science department needs work. Chemistry, math, physics, biology are all a pain. There are only a few great teachers and if you are in the honors college you get all the amazing chemistry professors. Most teachers in the biology department talk about their research all the time which has nothing to do with what's going to be on the next test but they try to tie it in. The physics department as a whole just sucks. As a science major you learn the art of teaching your self and studying all the time. Even if you study all the time you still might not do so hot in the class. Math is full of teachers you can't understand because of their accent. Its a pain because alot of them arent helpful. Foriegn language department well at least the Spanish program has tons of things in place so that you can learn the lanuage and no one learns it. So you are stuck doing tons of work, which is great for your grade but sucks if you are taking alot of hours or just plain lazy. English, Sociology, History, Psychology are all pretty cool. Never had a bad teacher in any of those classes.

Alex

Classes at Tech are really good. I have had extremely excellent professors, most of which I would be able to go back to for a recommendation or help on anything. Alot of professsors want to get to know you and what to see that you are interested in the their class. I have had a few professors who know alot about my life and what I went through. Many are willing to help you and if you go and explain to them what is going on in your life they will help you out.

Students are very competitive at Texas Tech. I meet with professors and discuss concepts in class, and they are always willing to meet with me.

craig

the academics are okay i mean we aren't harvard or princeton so don't expect curriculum of that magnitude. my favorite class so far has been intro to mass comm. with dr. dean he is an awesome professor he makes me glad i chose mass comm. as my major. my actual major is electronic media and communication i want to be a program director at a classic rock station i chose tech because of their awesome student media would help me get some experience points.

Taylor

Everything is of high standard and nothing is give to you.

Audrey

Academics are pretty good. I have learned that every teacher is different. Sometimes you get great teachers and sometimes you don't, and i believe it's a matter of opinion. Everyone has different learning styles. Most of the teachers are awesome and want you to come to their office to talk to them and ask for help if you need it.

andrew

the ag college is some what small so most of the professors know their student's names

Diana

The professors are actually great. Most schools complain about not being able to understand their professors, especially in the engineering department. I have alot of friends that have no trouble with that. Most professors will work with you and the class sizes are pretty small once you get into your major.

Your just a face to most professors. They really don't know who you are, at least in freshman level courses. Most people just sit back and take notes in class, teachers tend to lecture lecture lecture test and then repeat. Once you get higher in your studies and more specific class sizes get small though, and you really learn more hands on information that is relevant to your career.

All of my professors know my name because I make it a point to talk with all of my professors. My favorite classes have been anatomy, psychology, and introduction to exercise and sport science. I love the people in my department. They are all more than willing to help students. I love how almost all the majors in the exercise and sport science field require volunteering. I believe it's so important to have experience before you go into any job.

Jordan

Like I said above, professors at Tech are very likely to know your name if you take the time to actually remember theirs. By taking a couple minutes the first days of class to introduce yourself, most professors will go out of their way to remember it and remember you. My favorite class throughout college was probably Professor Brad Carlson's Marketing Promotions class or one of Dr. Till's (Tillman Wagner) classes. Dr. Till is from Germany and has a hilarious accent....not to mention his humor is hilarious, too. Students generally study a good deal at Tech and especially if it's finals. It's almost sad how much of a social scene the library is. Class participation is also pretty common. It (understandably) get even more common the older you get. You start looking at your GPA and realizing that the classes you actually attending you got A's in...and the one's you didn't...you somehow got C's. The amount of intellect through Tech's student body is also often underestimated. Alot of extremely smart people come to Tech, because their parents, siblings, or friends did or on their own accord. And because of that, there is a lot of intellectual conversation in and out of the classroom. I'm in the business school (Rawl's College of Business) and it's highly competitive. I'm not sure what the minimum GPA is to get into the college, but I know it's not very low. It also has, what I believe, to be some of the most fun, and funniest professors on campus.

Brandi

Most professors will know who you are even if they cant remember your exact name but they usually have like 200 students so its not their fault. it depends on how big your class is. my favorite classes are those where the teacher can relate to the students, not jus relate the information to them, but that can understand if its -20 degrees outside snowing/raining and flooding that people arent really gonna want to go to class. some teachers still expect you to come but others will email you and cancel class. my least favorite classes are those when the teacher thinks that theirs is the only class ur taking and assigns 4 hours of homework a night! a lot of students like to go to the library and study or sit in the student union and read of notes and stuff while they eat. class participation is very common there will always be time to ask questions and give feedback in class. i personally dont spend time with my professors outside of the classroom but im a shy person but i do know a lot of people that will email and talk to their professors before and after class and have their phone numbers in case they have a question. most professors enjoy when students show a good amount of interst in their class and usually you can talk your way into a higher grade!

Melissa

Tech has surprised me in how academically rigorous the classes are. My professors have always challenged me as well as offering a helping hand at the same time. I even talk about class matieral after lectures with my friends.

Edgar

Class is class no matter where you are... the cool thing about Tech is that it is a big enough school where you can meet a bunch a people and have the Big School atmosphere yet at the same time it isn't huge where you have at least a hundred students per class... Some proffessors are really cool and others aren't that is why somebody invented Pick-A-Proff a really good investment....

Colin

There is a teacher named Cindy Mo who teaches my Eco class that is terrible at speaking English. I am trying so hard to understand what she is saying that I never grasp the concepts she is trying to convey. She is very nice and obviously understands the material well but there is just a HUGH communication issue. I just dont think she is an effective teacher and I think it is unfair for me to be paying so much for a class that cant be taught effectively.

Owen

Good academics, underrated by most people. Tech does not have a good reputation about being serious about academics, but it is changing. We have a better ranked Engineering program than A&M and have a really good business school. There is a Law school, and Med school on site. The classes vary in size and some are very intimate, where you know everyone by name and the professor knows you as well.

Charlie

My theatre classes are amazing, but my other classes are boring. Most days I don't want to go to my other classes because it's hard to focus when the professors are dreadful (Stats for example).

Joseph

I have been very impressed with the curriculum here at Tech. I've learned an incredible amount this year when I compare it to my high school experience, but most importantly I've learned more about myself and who I want to be. The academics here have influenced me and my thoughts about the future in ways that no other academic system, professors included, could have. I've had a wonderful experience entirely.