Texas Tech University Top Questions

Groups that are popular on campus is greek life, student government and any intramural sports. There is a place for everyone at Texas Tech

We are a football school through and through. Even though we're not very good, that is all the people in this town have.

Oludolapo

.

Oludolapo

.

There are tons of organizations here at Tech. Every day, there are groups at tables outside the Student Union building handing out free stuff, advertising, or giving out information about their organization. Like most college campuses, there is a large Greek life culture here, but it is far from the only group on campus. You can find an organization for just about anything you're interested in. I myself play intramural sports and am in a couple of academic organizations, and enjoy them all. There are plenty of ways to get involved and have a great time doing it.

Oludolapo

Some of the most popular student groups include the Residence Hall Association, the Student Union Body, Alpha Kappa Psi. There are lots of activities organized by the Tech Activities Board, there's an active dating scene, people often party and go for concerts on campus and athletic events.

While there are many organizations on campus, I'd have to say Greek life is very popular amongst the student body. I myself was involved with Greek life at another school in undergrad, and I loved it. At Tech, however, I am often jealous that i cannot be a member since I'm getting my Masters degree because it looks so fun! Greek life is a wonderful way to get involved because you can pick the sorority of fraternity you feel the most comfortable with, you meet many people in other sororities and fraternities, you develop a strong bond with your sisters or brothers, and you participate in both school and community events. Additionally, Greek life is a wonderful help academically because they all require a certain GPA to remain eligible to stay in the organization. But, if Greek life isn't your style, Tech has created many many other clubs and organizations to get involved with. The best part is, if they don't have what you want, you can even pilot your own club/ organization! Of course, athletic events such as football, basketball, and baseball games are extremely popular. For football, on game day everyone tailgates and the town is nothing but red and black. It's hard not to get excited. And while many students at Tech party, there is plenty of activities to do that is alcohol free. For instance, Tech has a bowling club, intramural sports, and many other organizations will have alcohol free events. Also, Tech provides many cultural events on campus such as plays, dance recitals, and guest speakers on saturday evenings which many students enjoy. Off campus, the city of Lubbock has many restaurants, a mall, shopping centers, and other theaters that provide entertainment for the locals as well.

Laekan

Every college and every major has their own campus group or campus sponsored activities. There are groups specific to major, culture, ethnicity, interests, political affiliation, and many more. The English department has an English honor society run by the students that meets once a month to do everything from discuss a popular new book, help peer edit each other’s work, or even going bowling. It is a small group, the dues are 50 dollars, and you get a cool t-shirt. Some of the most active and interesting groups on campus are a part of the mass communication department. They have an Electronic Media Student Society that meets in the middle of the week. The group is supervised by an instructor but it gives students the opportunity to learn how to use any and all of the equipment in the mass comm building. So even if you didn't get a chance to learn how to use Dreamweaver in any of your classes, you can become a member of this group and learn for free. This is also a group that really encourages its members to be creative. Some of the projects students have worked on include shooting and editing short films, designing websites, graphics, and other forms of multi-media. There are also many clubs dedicated to certain cultures. There are so many people in Texas and Texas Tech that are of Hispanic or Latin heritage and a few on campus groups in particular will host a monthly salsa night and everyone goes out dancing. The student recreation center even sponsors a ballroom dancing club that goes over dances such as salsa, the tango, the waltz, and the foxtrot. If you're interested in going Greek, there are many fraternities and sororities that fit the pretentious and wealthy stereotype, but if that's not your thing then don't get discouraged. There are also some Christian fraternities and sororities and one's specific to ethnicity who are very welcoming. There are so many campus groups and clubs that it is impossible to find information about all of them on the ttu.edu website. My best advice, once you find something you are interested in, ask around, especially upperclassmen. Most, if not all, of the groups I have been involved in, I heard about through word of mouth. Or check the Student Union Building. There will be foam boards on various walls where students can tack things up like garage sale posters, or roommate inquiries. Many groups choose to advertise their events and meetings in places like the SUB where there is a lot of traffic. Also check your techAnnounce emails. They are sent out every day around 11AM and act as an electronic pin board where all of the week’s upcoming events will be posted. Another thing, pay attention to people's t-shirts. Every campus group probably has its own shirt and if you see an interesting one, take note, and then search for the group on facebook or Google, they will likely have some kind of internet presence.

Cassidy

The student activities that I notice the most are sponsored by TAB. TAB is a student organization that basically holds social events for students to attend just for fun. They put together movie nights at the Student Union Building (SUB), charity events, and little get togethers that have a holiday theme. Like for Christmas this year, they held an ornament making party. I went and it was so much fun! These events are always free and always at the SUB, which is a pretty local place, especially if you live in Horn/Knapp (the best dorm hall ever!) or Wall/Gates. Frequently, there are guest speakers that come. I think there was someone from the Chelsea Lately show this past semester, people that we've seen on YouTube or on MTV. I haven't been to any of the guest speaker events, so I don't have much feedback on that aspect. I just got involved with the rock climbing club. I didn't even know that Tech had a rock climbing club. A friend that I've become really close with invited me to try it out one time. She and I met in the swimming class we took together and then I figured out she was in the same American Government class as I was, and it went from there. She practically had to beg me the entire semester to even go try rock climbing, because between you and I, I'm not a huge fan of people staring at my butt! I mean, come on, wearing tight climbing pants and strapped in a harness? Weird. But I tried it and I liked it. A lot. So I went back and I went to a meeting and then I signed up for a camping trip...pure awesomeness!! It's such a thrill and it works every muscle in my body. Oh, and not to mention the fact that everyone at the climbing wall is majorly fit. That's a sign that tells you it's good for you! There are tons of other clubs to join or look into as well. Just showing up and the Rec Center, you can learn a lot and gather a lot of information. Most nights, I am up until 12a.m or 1a.m either doing homework, coming back from studying, or simply talking with my roommate, relaxing and down-winding from a long day's work. Needless to say, 8a.m classes come very early. It's hard not to be up that late because there is always someone else walking around the hallways or having an audible conversation on the other side of the dorm wall. One of Texas Tech's traditions that I got to participate in for the first time this year is Carol of the Lights. Every year at Christmas, over 20,000 people, including students and residents from surrounding cities, join in the Science Quad to listen to the choir sing, the band play, and watch the burst of Christmas lights light up the night as a switch is flipped on the last note that the band plays. Electric Christmas music played as people gathered in the Quad and around Memorial Circle, waiting for seven o'clock to get there. A small parade also walked through the crowd to the front of the Quad, to my surprise. After the concert and the lights, tons of people just walked around to enjoy the chilly night with their Starbucks in their hands, and lines formed to get pictures in front of the huge lighted Christmas tree in front of Memorial Circle, right off of Broadway Street.

Upon first arriving at Texas Tech, students are often given the impression that the only extracurricular activity is partying. Greek life is big, and there are often any number of fraternity parties open to those looking for a good time. Likewise, there are plenty of bars close to campus and many would consider Tech a "party school". However, there are certainly a large number of activities which do not involve drinking available to those who are interested. Texas Tech has a long list of clubs and organizations, including Christian fraternities and sororities, the young Republicans club, and the American Sign Language club (the Silent Raiders). During the fall football is one of the biggest events of the weekend, drawing in tailgaters from across West Texas and packing the student section full of cheering fans. In the beginning of December, one of the most popular traditions is Carol of Lights. Every year, students, faculty, and alumni gather in memorial circle to watch as Tech lights up the campus with Christmas lights. It is also an honored tradition to propose at this special event. The spring is often the time for most who missed fall rush to join in the fraternity or sorority they've had their eye on all year. No matter your interests, Tech certainly has a place for you.

Lillia

Because I was not part of a fraternity or sorority, I wasn't as involved in the plethora of activities offered at TTU. I attended the sports games regularly, something almost all the students participated it. I went to activities not a lot of the students knew about, though. For example, I regularly went to the First Friday Art Trail where you can take a tour of the art scene in Lubbock. The dating scene is everywhere; it wasn't hard for me to find dates, at all. In fact, I met my boyfriend my first semester on campus and have been dating him ever since. Weekends are always busy, there's always something to do.

Some of the more popular groups on the Texas Tech campus are the Greek organization and the athletic organizations. Each of these groups stands out on the campus due to the way they dress and represent themselves. I am proud to say that I am in the Greek fraternity Sigma Nu. Having joined was one of the best decisions of my life, but being in a fraternity or sorority are not the most important organizations to be a part of. Tech offers many clubs and organizations outside of Greek life to join. Having spent my first year in the dorms I would have to say it is a valuable experience that everyone should try. I made a lot of new friends and met a lot of great people from just visiting around on the different floors. Everyone at Tech loves athletics and have a lot of pride in the teams playing. Students always do their best to support and cheer on our teams and assure them that they have a great crowd backing them up. Tech also has a lot of different guest speakers that come to the campus to talk about culture, major specific topics, and much more. There is also a great theater program that put on fantastic shows for the student body. At Tech you are always given the chance to meet someone new whether it be guys or girls, there is not shortage in the amount of people you are able to meet. I met my best friends in the dorms and in the different classes I've taken. On a Tuesday at 2 a.m. you would probably find me with a group of friends either studying or watching something on t.v. whether it be a movie or show thanks to having met all my great friends. Tech is also known for an extensive amount of traditions such as wrapping the statue of Will Rogers in red paper before game days and my all time favorite the Carol of the Lights. This tradition is so awesome because people gather around from all over Lubbock on one night to watch as the school is lit up with lights for the holidays. On weekends whenever you are looking for something to do it really isn't hard to find something to entertain yourself. Whether there be a school event going on, a social event with friends, or finding a place to have random fun in general you won't have a dull moment in Lubbock unless you try.

Fall is the best semester at Texas Tech because of the football games and tailgates. Basketball and baseball are also common sports for students to attend. Most students also participate in intramural sports which are highly organized and officiated. There is too many student organizations to count and everyone could find a group of like minded people. Greek Life is large on campus, but it does not limit you to not be Greek. The majority are not Greek and all students display respect for each other despite opposing views or backgrounds.

By far, the most popular student activities are the football games. Texas Tech students and locals live for the football games and go crazy for everything football related. Most every weekend that isn't a football game is either a watch party or a party in general. For those who don't drink, there are clubs where you can hang out or dance. A lot of people find sororities and fraternities a very important part of their life and find that they meet most of their best friends in them. They are prominent for those who want to be involved with them and for those who don't, they find other things they can do.

Clint

Football is king at Tech as with all schools in Texas. There are live bands and great tailgaiting before every game and the team is awesome (the only team in the big 12 to make a bowl game every year since it's inception). We also have the best offense in the nation which makes for extremely exciting and entertaining games. The greek life at Tech is personally one of my favorite aspects. I spent a year not going greek and I would strongly suggest everyone to at least try it out. You will meet great people instantly, many of whom will be lifelong friends, and it opens up so many options you don't have in the non-greek community. I have great friends who aren't in the greek system and have fun at Tech, but everyone I know who is in it loves it. The majority of people at Tech aren't in the greek system, so if that's not your thing you will find plenty of other stuff to get involved in. I personally love to hunt fish which is excellent in West Texas. There is about a 20 minute barrier of cotton fields around lubbock, after that it is an oasis of hunting and fishing the canyons and playa lakes of West Texas.

Frats are pretty popular on campus. I go to a lot of frat parties and its a lot of fun. Some people leave their dorm doors open but I personally didnt. Athletic events are extremly popular at Tech. We have so much school spirit its ridiculous. Football games are up in my top 5 favorite things about tech forsure. People do party a lot at Tech. Everyone just likes to have a good time. If you don't drink there are many things you can do. I know a lot of groups do retreats or have concerts on campus. There is something for everyone.

stephanie

The Greek life at TTU is very popular. Though I am not Greek, I do enjoy attending their various events. They normally throw fun organized parties that are a great way to meet new people and have a good time. Athletic events are very popular too, and most students tend to get together and go to games to have a good time. Most students in dorms usually keep their doors open, and students who live on the same floor tend to befriend each other and other people in their dorms. Most students who do not drink can still attend various movie nights and other organized events that the University offers.

There are tons of different organizations to get involved in on campus. There are academic clubs, sporting organizations, community service clubs, religious groups just to name a few. I’m involved in CNA, (Collegiate Network Association) and it’s basically a club for students to get to know each other and help them network and make connections for potential jobs in the future. We have meetings once a month and they usually have them at a restaurant or get food and drinks catered. Living in the dorms was the best time I had in college. I could get a hold of all my friends in less than five minutes just by running up or down a few floors. There is always action happening in the dorms and if you get bored someone will be able to tell you something going on. Most people leave their doors wide open and there are people hanging out outside and in the halls 24/7. I made most of my friends in the dorms and through my sorority. Also, most of the dorms are strictly guys in one building and girls in the other (with the exception of Coleman) but they are connected by the cafeteria so it’s not hard to meet a potential crush.

Dorm life was real fun and def helped in gaining a social life. The first semester it will take time to get warmed up but after that the dorms become much like high school, you get to see the same people every day, you get to know who you like and dont like. Overall the dorms really added to the social experience and some of the friends you make there will be there for the next 4 years so dont worry, and just have fun!

Kendall

Dry county, have to drive 10 miles to get booze.

Kellianne

I am in a sorority and i would definately say that greek life is huge.

Saddle Tramps are the most popular. On my floor in Stangel we left our doors open...it's very safe. Athletic events are everything...especially football. I met my closest friends at orientation and Red Raider Camp...I brought one from high school too!! People party all the time :)

There are tons and tons and tons of activities at Texas Tech. There are hundreds of clubs you can join, or even start your own. There's an incredible radio station you can work or just listen to. There's a huge music program and a few bands to be a part of. Greek life is very big on the Tech campus. No one is allowed to actually live in the houses, but being in a fraternity/sorority is very common and a lot of fun. On the weekends there are more than enough places to go out dancing or just hang out with your friends. It's a college town so there's a fair share of partying, particularly on weekends.

Student life at TTU is very involeved,there is something for everyone & everything is pretty much steeped in traditon. There are reward programs for attending events,a wonderful Rec Facility & great sports teams.

Bevan

There is os much to do and som nay people you'll never get bored.

Dry town. If you dont know what that is look it up. We do have bars but if you want to buy any alcohol you have to drive about 20 minutes away from campus out into the country to the "strip" and buy alcohol which is marked up because its the only place for miles around that sells it. Fraternities and Sororities think that they are the coolest people on the campus but the truth is they suck. You wont be living in a house, you cant have parties at your house, and people will make fun of you because you pay other people to be your friend. There is nothing to do off campus unless you like to shop at crappy stores in the mall OR if you like to drink... all day...non stop... There is NOTHING to do in Lubbock.

Connie

Social life here is great. I got really into Christian organizations and I have traveled the U.S. since I came to college working for Jesus. I have been to tons of Christian parties and kicked it with friends every weekend. Regular parties go down starting Thursday and last through the weekend. Frats and Soror are major party throwers and if you dont want to leave the club smelling like cigarettes then go to their parties. People always make late night midnight runs. The most fun is living on campus with a great group of people and staying up late clownin' every night.

There are no really popular groups or organizations, but you need to find the one that you like and that you are interested in. Dorm life as a freshman is awesome. I mean its not the best "living" but you get to know so many people, and its really fun going from room to room and just hanging out with people. There are always parties and alot of themed parties. There are alot of places to go dancing if you do not want to drink. There are also drive in movies, bowling, and just always people hanging out.

people party EVERY NIGHT here!

craig

we have a pretty cool activities board they put together a lot of cool stuff like the other day we saw a movie before it actually came out for free! the sporting events are all free so we try and make it out to all of them but mostly people only care about is football. our traditions are not that big but we do have some we have carol of the lights(boring!) and a student run bicycle marathon called tour de tech terrence(awesome!) we ride around tech terrence(a park near campus) and stop every mile at a house and party it up it is for charity so it is all good. last weekend i played kings cup it was awesome but playing every day of the weekend is what made it even more fun. lubbock is pretty conservative so you could have fun not drinking like chuckie cheese, main event and we have a pretty sweet go kart place.

The social life is excellent!

Audrey

There are so many things to do here at Tech its ridiculous. If you want a social life and activites we have them all and more!

Diana

Tech sports are the best, of course. The whole town is black and red on game days, and everyone has their guns up.

Greek life is key at Tech. There are so many to join that you're bound to find the one you fit in the best. That is where I met my closest friends. Most people here are greek. Football games are extreemly fun and exciting. Everyone goes and there is a tailgate before! We are a huge fan base for the football team and have different cheers for EVERYTHING. It is so exciting and everyone always makes friends with who they are sitting by. Before every home game streamers in red and black are put all over campus and our statue is completely wrapped. It is a party school, never a dull moment on the weekends.

There is something for every type of person at Texas Tech. I'm still suprised to find out about organizations that I haven't heard of yet. I always see rooms with the doors open in dorms. It's a great way to meet people because when you're door is open you get compliments and start talking from there. All of my closest friends live on my floor in my dorm. I wouldn't change who my friends are for the world.

Greek life at Tech is very big. A large portion of the school is involved in a greek fraternity or sorority, and it's not very unlikely to be asked, "Hi, I'm so-and-so. What's your name? Are you in a sorority/fraternity?" I'm a TriDelt, and I'm not as involved as I was as a freshman, but I'm extremely glad I chose to join. As a freshman, it was an easy way to get involved in something and start building friendships. I currently live with two other TriDelts, and I have lived with only TriDelts since I've attended college. Don't let me fool you about the social life, in general. I'm pretty sure any student, greek or not, will say that there is plenty to do at Tech. We have a street called Broadway that has about five really popular bars on it. There's also the art district which is called The Depot. It has a ton of really popular bars, as well.

Brandi

The most popular event on campus other than Texas Tech athletics, would be intermural sports. Since there a lot more people that arent in actual atheltics, that makes so much more people doing intermurals. They go year round and there are like 30 different type of sports available. People really love their intermurals and thats all they talk about in class is if people were at the final basketball game or they are starting up a softball team. Its so easy to meet people to date and sometimes you can have a problem of having too many people to date. but its fun your in college your supposed to date different people and see what you really want in a relationship. i meet all of my best friends by dating other people and they introduce you to a whole new group of people. you never know who will turn out to be the right person for you until you meet as many people as you can. same goes for the friends you choose. Usually if i am awake at 2 am on a tuesday im probably just laying in bed watching tv or eating whataburger with some friends while we are on facebook looking at people. Every year there is a red and black game which is an exciting time because it means football season is around the corner. There are the most parties and events going on in the fall. New people at tech and football season and something about starting a new year makes everyone want to party more! for some the weekend starts wednesday night cause thats when the clubs open up and it goes through to saturday night. if the weather is still warm there are amazing pool parties thrown by the university apartments and thats where you party saturday and sunday afternoons. i think fraternities and sororities are losing their cool points. more and more people dont really care about them and its not really impressive to anyone that i know. its just a title and i can write greek letters on my shirts too but that would just cost me more money and probably ruin my shirt. its not a big deal and if your not in one nobody thinks your a loser, it actually makes you look more independent and mature. However if your not into the partying scene there is still a lot to do. there are arena football games and if ur not a sports person the university is always playing free movies and having concerts and plays and a lot more stuff for a saturday night. people also love to go to movies and go mudding after it rains and fishing on the weekend is not too far if you enjoy doing outdoors stuff.

Athletic events are very popular at Texas Tech. Football season is a huge deal and everyone loves watching the games.

There is always a part at Tech, unless there is a game going on, and even then. Students at Tech seem to also enjoy going to Lubbock's Depot District or to Broadway St. to enjoy the bar and club scene.

Edgar

Tech has a lot of organizations most of the people here are either in a Greek fraternity/sorority or a Christian one... it seems like there is a group or club for everything here but the majors ones are the Fraternities and Sororities... Intramurals are HUGE here at Tech especially Flag Football.... and there is intramurals for everything... we even have intertube waterpolo... Athletics are a Religion here at Tech... we are in the BIG 12 conference so there are big games all of the time...

Colin

They offer a wide variety of things to do and participate in. The biggest problem is just finding out about them.

Owen

Sports are king. Football and tailgating are amazing, basketball is pretty good as well. Go Tech, then go Greek, thats what they say, and that is how you get the most out of the college experience. Going greek you get to know a large group of people instantly and mix with guys or girls that have the same interests. This provides stuff to do on the weekends, or any night of the week.

Greeks seem to own the campus. Even though they don't do much, all they do is party and party some more, and most of them are pretty unintelligent but they do Student Government, own some of the residence halls (due to the high amount of first year students rushing). It's pretty crazy. There are 22 fraternities and 12 sororities. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

Tessa

The most popular organizations on campus are those that are sorority or fraternity or hispanic associated. A group that I'm involved with is Hi-Tech Fashion Group. I am the community Service Representative. We put on several service projects every year that have to do with fashion and clothing. Students do leave their doors open sometimes. Athletic events are very popular, though some less popular sports have to be advertised to get publicity. Guest speakers are less popular, and the theater even less. The dating scene is sparse unless you spentd a lot of time off-campus socializing. I met my closest friends through each other, first one, and then the others. If i'm awake at 2 am on a tuesday, it's because i am up finishing an art project for my 8 am art class. People almost always party on the Tech campus. almost everynight, there are girls out danicing, karaokeing, or house-crashing. Sororities and Fraternities are very inportant on the Tech campus and for some people it is very important to belong to one of them. last weekend i layed around in bed all weekend and watched movies. On a Saturday Night you can hang out with your friends, catch a movie, and chill at a coffee house until two in the morning. Off campus i go dancing, watch movies, and meet up with friends.

S.G.A., R.H.A., Greek Life, Flag Football, Tech CRU (Campus Crusade for Christ). Football games...amazing. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, I'm studying.

Well there are over 400 student organizations so it is hard to say what is the most popular. However, the Greeks really make their voice heard on campus more than any other group. Most students don't leave their doors open. Football is really popular, and it drops off from there with basketball, volleyball, baseball, and everything else. I met my closest friends from my dorm and other organizations I'm involved with. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I am probably headed home from game night since I just got back from Buffalo Wild Wings. Homecoming, Carol of Lights, and Arbor Day are probably the most popular annual traditions at Tech...and beating A&M of course! People party in Lubbock a normal amount I would say; Thursday and another night of the weekend. I don't know how important Greeks are, but they really have a loud voice on campus. They have people that are more involved on campus, that really care about the university, and make their voice heard. Last weekend I hung out with friends on Friday, went to church Saturday evening, went to a frat party Saturday night, and then studied and got ready for University Day on Sunday. There are usually TAB events, and you can always go to parties, clubs, and dance halls and not drink. You can always go to Main Event, bowling, movie theater and anything else.

The Greek organizations are probably the more popular groups on campus. Tech has a very large Greek community, and many of the Greeks tend to get involved more. The football games are probably the most popular event. We struggle to get students to go to ohter athletic and social events. Tailgating is the reason why, in my opinion. I do tend to see a majority of the students enjoying to party, which can interfere with other university events. Movies, studying, resting are all things to do if you do not go out drinking. However, many students need a break, and use the weekends to go out and socialize, which usually involves drinking.