Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

The worst thing about my university would have to be their focus on growth. Texas Tech is a major institution and recently passed its previous record for students in attendance. Yet, instead of directly focusing on the student body, the administration is vigorously working to raise its status and join the prestigious tier one grouping. While this is an excellent goal for the school, one should not try and obtain such recognition for the sake of prestige. I feel that the greatest fault of the administration is that students have become a close second.

The worst thing about my school is its location. I legitimately don’t have a negative thing to say about Texas Tech as an institution other than its proximity to nothing but farmland once you drive out of the city limits of Lubbock. That said, Lubbock is truly a college town. The few hundred thousand locals support Tech’s students to the point that there is such a wonderful sense of community that although it is secluded, it really feels like home, although it might not be the big city that many students are accustomed to.

The worst thing about this school would be that it's rather difficult to be involved in anything unless you're in a sorority or fraternity, or if you don't have a large amount of free time. There is not a wide range of clubs or activities, and for those that are more diverse, it is difficult to get involved in them, due to lack of information on the school or organization's website. I would advise new students to try to get involved in activities as soon as possible, because it's harder the longer you wait.

I came from an extremely diverse high school where, as a caucasian, I was almost a minority. I greatly enjoyed having diverse friend groups with people from all over the world. At my university, the diversity is still there, but it is obvious that there is a majority of caucasians. I was unsure if I would enjoy my social life at first, but I easily made friends and look forward to the steady increase of international students and a greater diversification at the university.

At Texas Tech, I would have to say one of the worst problems would be the problem with alcohol-related deaths. I feel as if some students turn to alcohol under the impression that there are few things to do in Lubbock, when actually it's not that way at all. I wish I could help out those students making bad decisons to prevent horrible and unncessary deaths from becoming something that is normally here in Lubbock.

Depending on the major you are in the administrative staff can be very difficult to deal with. It is hard to really have a relationship with them in order to really work on your major. Often you feel as though they really don't care about your success and just want to get the appointment over with. They also won't meet with you whenever you don't have an appointment at the regulated advising time.

I wish there was more academic help in more concentrated courses. I would also like the town Texas Tech is in to have more to offer as far as a way to "get away" or for entertainment. Drinking, and drugs seems to be very common around here. It seems as though one has to be very thoughtful and creative in order to do something different, I suppose it makes some of us more interesting people.

The worst thing about Texas Tech is the dorm that I live in. Chitwood is the name and it needs some major renovating. Everything is falling apart and breaking along with water pipes constantly either busting or acting up. It smells terrible from water damage and from being old in general. If I have to pay as much as everyone else then I should get a place that is equal to other dorms.

The campus is very large and sprawling, making it difficult sometimes to get to class on time. Especially if you have classes on opposite ends of campus. With only 10 minutes between classes you could frequently be late. But once you decide on a major, most of your classes are all in one building, plus as long as you know the bus routes, you can just hop on and ride across campus.

The english program at my school is my least favorite part of the school because the assignments are submitted online before we show up to the next class. Also our assignments are not graded by our professors but are graded by anyone in the english department. This makes it difficult to know what our grader is looking for and this makes it difficult to make an A on an assignment.