Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

The most common misconception about Texas Tech University is that we are a party school that doesn’t care about academics, but the truth is Texas Tech has consistently been recognized by its peers, students, and alumni as an amazing and progressive University. Texas Tech’s Rawls College of Business was listed as one of the best business schools in the country by the Princeton Review, Tech’s School of Law was the only law school in Texas to be ranked in the top 20 this year by Prelaw magazine, and the University as a whole earned a top-tier ranking among national Universities in this year’s edition of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News and World Report. Now, don’t get me wrong, the student body at Texas Tech is every bit as passionate, rowdy, and fun-loving as you would expect, but it all stems from a deep rooted pride in our University and its traditions and it should be considered just one of the many things that makes Texas Tech such a great school.

We have a reputation for being "country." Not strictly cowboy hat wearing, straw-chewing "country", but roughneck, fighting "country." We're also known for not having much class (hence, us putting cuss words in our own fight song). We are also known for having bad sportsmanship at sporting events. But then again, we're known for having a wealthy student population (west Texas oil) and good looking girls (something in the Texas water). We are also known to be pretty diverse - hippies, frat boys and girls, artsies, and "GDI's."

Many people believe that Texas Tech is overly conservative and backwatered. Many believe the place is just a "podunk" university in west Texas. Many also believe that most students who attend Tech settled because they could not get into some of the "supposed" better universities in Texas.

The most popular stereotype is that all Texas Tech students are dumb. Tech students are bad fans (bad sportsmanship - loud, obnoxious, offensive) The hot girls - Playboy ranked us 2nd in the nation for hottest female student body.

It's said that Tech is a huge party school that is pretty much obsessed with football. Also that all the students are a bunch of country kids who ride horses around and watch tumbleweeds roll across campus.

Many people believe that Tech students are not intelligent and are from small towns. I have been told that some think Tech students are ignorant and could not get into A&M or the University of Texas.

It's the place where people go when they don't get in to UT. There is nothing to do here. Being involved in any "greek" group is not that great at TTU. TTU is an easy school.

That we do not have smart people and that its not challenging. Also, that there are alot of STDs and we have a very roudy audience during sporting events.

Its a party school, everybody has STD's, theres nothing to do in Lubbock, people who go there couldn't get into other schools like the University of Texas

That Tech is a party school and that everyone who goes to Tech is gorgeous. That alot of the students that come to Tech didnt make it into UT or A&M.