Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

There is not one stereotype at Texas Tech University. I honestly see and experience every type of person around campus. When walking out of my all girls dorm, I see sorority girls in their oversized t-shirts, leggings, and New Balance shoes. Passing the music building, I see the typical "band nerds" overflowing the area. Going through the Student Union Building, tons of lunch tables are pushed together to form one long table as the frat guys join to eat and talk. And going to the Rec Center, I can guarantee anyone you see in that general vicinity will have their iPod in their ears and will be wearing athletic clothes to workout in! Always, there are people running on the trails, playing on the beach volleyball court outside, or tackling each other in a rugby game! The library is another place that is always swallowing kids to absorb knowledge and then spitting them out when it has had its fill. Between the Student Union Building (SUB) and the library, there's no doubt that any kind of person can be found. And, yes, there are the kids who walk around high and go to class high. It wasn't really noticeable, to me, unless they started talking about it. But overall, I see an even amount of every stereotype.

The most common misconception about Texas Tech University is that we are a party school that doesn’t care about academics, but the truth is Texas Tech has consistently been recognized by its peers, students, and alumni as an amazing and progressive University. Texas Tech’s Rawls College of Business was listed as one of the best business schools in the country by the Princeton Review, Tech’s School of Law was the only law school in Texas to be ranked in the top 20 this year by Prelaw magazine, and the University as a whole earned a top-tier ranking among national Universities in this year’s edition of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News and World Report. Now, don’t get me wrong, the student body at Texas Tech is every bit as passionate, rowdy, and fun-loving as you would expect, but it all stems from a deep rooted pride in our University and its traditions and it should be considered just one of the many things that makes Texas Tech such a great school.

There is such a huge range of people at Texas Tech and that creates a group of friends for every type of person. We have the typical sororities and fraternities that you would find at any large university, but we also have nerds, geeks, jocks (especially at the rec center and on our football team), etc. but everyone seems to get along quite well and the stereotypes don't really counter into who a person is or what defines them. Yes, there are typical stereotypes everywhere, that is inevitable, but at the same time there are unique, fascinating people that don't fit the mold of being your typical jock, stoner, or frat boy. Overall, Texas Tech has a vast array of people that attend where anyone can find their place.

A common stereotype of TTU students is that they like to drink and party. I believe this stereotype is accurate, but one can always find students who don't participate in these activities. Also, this stereotype only applies when students aren't busy with school and are looking to enjoy themselves. Then again, this stereotype is common for almost every college; it just depends on how each person chooses to spend their time that proves the value of this stereotype.

Surprisingly I cannot say that the University necessarily has a specific stereotype. Texas Tech has a very diverse group of students because of the many activities and of students the university admits. For the most part, Greek life makes up a large majority of the student body because Texas Tech fully supports and encourages students to get involved, There are so many organizations, clubs and activities to get involved in. Really, Texas Tech is what you make it!

What makes Texas Tech such a great institution is that there is not one specific stereotype that makes up the entire student body. It is such a welcoming and diversified campus which makes fitting in and making new friends extremely easy. Like any other school you will see different cliques and groups, but at the end of the day all students form one unified group of Red Raiders.

Texas Tech has many different stereotypes. About 14% of the student body is in a fraternity or sorority. Texas Tech has been dubbed a party school in the past. Texas Tech is also the only university in the state of Texas that has both a Law School and a Medical School along with its undergraduate schools. So Tech also has a strong academic student stereotype as well.

For the most part, Texas Tech thrives on sororities and fraternities. There is not one inch of campus that doesn't see a TriDelt shirt. It seems as though everyone is a member. Just because it's the stereotype, doesn't mean everyone truly is! It is quite easy to get plugged in and meet new people in one of the hundreds of student organizations on and off campus.

Wild and crazy drinkers plus rampant drug use. Granted those people are the majority but i passed that phase a long time ago.

Three main stereotypes repeatedly come up in conversations about Texas Tech University. They include, Texas Tech is a party school, everyone is in a fraternity or sorority and all people have some form of a sexually transmitted disease (Raider Rash). College is a place where you go to get a higher level of education, but most people don’t spend all their time cooped up in the library studying. Yes, there are parties, lots and lots of parties, just as there are at other schools. The Princeton Review publishes an article each year listing the top party schools in the country. This is the link to the article http://www.thebestcolleges.org/2012-princeton-review-party-school-rankings/ It’s not surprising to me that Texas Tech doesn’t make it on the list. Although we have parties and people who attend those parties, it’s not to the extent people exaggerate. Second, Greek life is a major party of the Texas Tech culture. Yes, we do have a large number of students involved with Greek life. At times, it is overwhelming to see so many students dressed so alike, but that’s how they choose to advertise their involvement in a fraternity or sorority.Texas Tech has just over 30,000 students. 11.7 percent of the undergraduate males are involved in a fraternity and 17.9 percent of undergraduate females are involved in a sorority. Greek life is a major part, but with over 400 registered student organizations, it’s not the only way to get involved. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/texas-tech-university-3644 Finally, it is not true that Texas Tech has its own form of an STD, Raider Rash. It’s true that Lubbock County has a very high STD rate among local residents. That doesn’t represent Texas Tech.