Texas Tech University Top Questions

Sydney

I wish I was pushed to be more involved and not so shy. You and other freshman are all in similar boats, so they most likely feel as nervous as you do. Don't be afraid to go out and join as many organizations or go places you wouldn't usually, because you can always figuratively go back, and edit before you click save.

Derek

I wish I had known how difficult it can be to keep track of all the responsibilities that come with being a college student. There are a ton of deadlines and a lot of online assignments and it can be really easy to lose track of something. Eventually I learned how to keep track of everything more reliably but I think that my first semester would have been a lot easier had I learned how to do this sooner.

I wish I had known more about the various majors and the opportunities that each provides during your college career. I went into Tech thinking that I knew what I wanted to do, although I very quickly realized that I truly had not idea. Thankfully, Tech provides a plethora of majors and courses to choose from and there is so much you get to experience during college with all of the different paths.

Perla

I wish I knew that the ACT and SAT scores do matter, and that the english dual credit is worth taking.

Lyzett

The only thing I wish I would have known before coming to school here is how exciting it would be to meet new people, and the freedom you would be given compared to that in High School. Also, maybe studying the map of Texas Tech University to better know where all the buildings were because it can become a bit confusing since the campus is so big.

Selena

I wish I would have known to stay with my gut on what I wanted my major to be. I knew I had always wanted to teach and have people be excited for math like I am. I didn't realize that I wanted to pursue higher education until right before this semester.

Jackie

The main two things I wish I had known was the availability of Professors at Tech and what dropping classes actually was. It turns out profeesor are very helpful and useful in their office ours I didnt find this out till my second semester when i actually started using them. Then dropping classes, I had dropped one class because at the time it felt completely overwhelming. I didnt want it to hurt my GPA. I later learned that retaking replaces the grade and the class had major bonus points at the end to help the difficulty. Those would be it.

How big some of the lecture halls would be for the basic classes.

I wish I would have known more about the classes and cost.

Erich

How important partying is here at this school. i new it was a larg school and that usually mens there is going to be a large anount of parties. Nothing could have prepaired me for here.

I wish I would have know how much things would change. I came here with my best friend, and though we are still best friends, it's not the same. Not only have I learned about myself, but also about other people. Things change in tight quarters, and not everyone is going to get along. I wish I would have been better prepared to interact with people who aren't the easiest to get along with. The academics are fine, but the new relationships are challenging.

Haleigh

For one, Tech's campus is so big! I wish I had known that I was going to be literally walking the entire campus for a few classes. I would have brought more winter closes because it gets freezing there! So I wish I had known that the temperatures get as low as they do there, because I'm not used to that. I wish I knew that Lubbock has harsh dust storm! These storms kind of resemble fog but red. You can't see 5 ft. ahead of you and dust gets in every pert of your body.

Pete

Before coming to the campus I wish I would have known exactly where all of the main offices, and student help centers were located.

Kody

I wish I would have known how much I would have to study in college in general. Had I known how quickly a semester flies by, I would have taken better notes and been more prepared for my midterms and finals.

I wish I had known that I need to start working on my resume as soon as possible. The better your resume, the more likely it is for you to receive scholarships. My advice to new students would be to get involved! Organizations are a great way to work on a resume and have fun while doing it!

adriana

I wish I would have known that I could have kept taking the ACT/SAT all the way until May to be considered for Academic Scholarships, that really through me off... I am not in the best financial situtation to pay for my education.

Donovan

The school tells you pretty much everything that you need to know about it before you go there.

Kiara

The cost of attending was shock to me. I was aware that you have to pay tuition and housing but the additional fees you have to pay for college was something that caught me and my family be surprise.

You're not alone. Either in the financial side of things or the social side, a majority of the people around you are in the same boat. You may get really stressed at times about how to pay for school or whether you are going to make friends or not. It's best to go in with a 'happy to be here' attitude. Don't be afraid to talk to people. You'll make a ton of friends and form a support system. Don't over-stress yourself!

How large the greek population is! Everywhere you look is greek!!

I wish I would have known more about financial aid, I feel like that people here dont really let you know much or when you do want to find information out, they act as if you are a burden to them.

Asti

I wish I had known about what Texas Tech had to offer about two years earlier.

Katelynn

I wish I had known how stressful it would be to really be on my own and responsible I was for everything. I no longer had my parents everyday to help me stay on track and it took a little time to get fully adjusted.

Before coming to college, I wish that I had known how serious picking a major would be. The classes that I took and weren?t relevant to my future ended up being less stimulating. The moment I discovered my major and I started to take those classes, I became more motivated to do well in school. I definitely wish I would have found my passion earlier in life so that I could have gained even more from my college experience than I already have.

Angelica

That I could not take all the courses every semester in my major.

Dawn

I wish I had known how much I would have benefitted from going to school away from home. I might have learned more about being on my own and would have maybe have had more opportunity for extra curricular activities instead of working full time while I finished school.

Gabriela

I wish I knew that AP classes were an extremely factor in college, not only do they prepare you for the amount of work that you will receive, but they also can put you ahead of other students and you save money. I wish I knew how to prepare myself for having better time management that way I wouldn?t be so overwhelmed with all the work there is to do in so little time. I wish I had someone to talk to that had experienced college, like how it would feel, what to expect on the first week etc.

Sierra

Just college information in general and maybe where everything else is located

Sammie

I wish I had known to save money!My family is extremely poor and I do not have enough to pay for college.

Elina

I wish I had known how much my field of study was going to cost.

Sterling

Beautiful campus and great area

Jennilee

I wish I would have known how cold it got in the winters and how hard and cold the winds blow here! I also wish I would have known how much I would miss my family while living 9 hours from home. I still would've come but maybe I could've prepared myself a little bit more for it.

Nkassi

There are a lot of things I wish I would have known before I started. I wish I would have known about FAFSA before I got into my freshman year of high school, because what was supposed to be the best year of my college life ended up being somehat exhausting because I was tight on money. I also wish I would have known about the other majors offered at school, because I ended up switching my major towards the end of my freshman year to Pre-med/Nutrition (which I'm glad I did).

maria

I wish I had know to get to know my teachers better and make friends with the students in my classes instead of keeping to myself. I also wish I had known that my college is rascist and only favors white students when it comes to getting help for paying for my education. Also they only help students that have a 3.0 or better.

Leslee

Being from a small town, I wish I had known that it was in a small town . I noticed that it is constantly growing everyday. i did some research on Texas Tech University, so coming here was not a surprise!

Kayce

I wish I would have known how much money college really was. I wish that I had tried harder on applying for scholarships. If I had the chance I would apply for more that way I would not be one hundred percent on student loans. Another I wished, is that I was told how hard college would really be. In high school I never had to study and once I came to collge, I had no idea how.

Before I came to Texas Tech I wish I would have known how much more studying I would need to be doing. In high school they attempted to prepare us for the work load we would have in college, yet they were not even close. Although you have alot more free time in college, any student that wants to suceed and make good grades must put in alot of time and effort studying. Time managment is a big struggle in college and I wish I would have been more prepared for it beforehand.

I wish I had known that it is more accepting of the GLBTQ community than I had though. Before I got here, I assumed that Lubbock would be filled with a bunch of anti-gay people. When I got here, I realized that Lubbock is a lot more tolerant than one would think. While it is far from perfect, I wouldn't exactly call being a homosexual in Lubbock "dangerous."

I wish I had known more of what college was going to be like and how to manage my time. I feel as though high school left me with the impression college was going to devour my life and my time. I have come to realize now that college is all about time management and what you do with it.

Kurtis

Everything and nothing. To be honest, I had never heard of Texas Tech University before I decided to apply and visit the campus. I'd probably have ended up here even if I did grow up loving the University. There is so much that I love about this school after visiting it my senior year in high school and now after attending 2 years here. I look forward to all of the opportunities that await me and my graduation from this fine institution.

I wish I knew more about the course work and how much we would be getting.

Seifullah

I wish I had known more about Lubbock, the city in which Texas Tech is located. Lubbock is in the northwestern part of Texas. It has a dry and windy weather. Personally, I prefer a mild hot weather as in Florida or Carlifonia. Secondly, I feel like Texas Tech does not fulfil my ambitions. Texas Tech is a good school with a top engineering school but I feel like the students are not willing to learn. The students just want to pass and graduate instead of actually learning the material.

Alli

I researched the school and visited more than once, it was perfect for me! I knew everything about it except for the exact location of my future classes, which is very easy to figure out.

I wish I had known about all the functions. I never went to any, mostly because I didnt know about them. It feels like I kind of missed out on the whole experience.

Madelon

I believed that I had research the University well enough, that I knew everything about the University before I attended.

I wish I had known more about real campus life. Tech dresses itself up for univeristy day. The rest of the time campus is ugly. They put on a show for a few weeks each year and then are trashy rude and gross the rest of the time. If you are thinking about any college seriously go one day without your parents and when its just an average day and act like a student. See what its really like and how people really treat you. Then make a decision!

Brandi

I wish I had known how windy it can be and how cold it can get in the winter time. I also wish I had known how rowdy our football games can get! The fans are crazy but it makes it that much more fun!

I wish I would have known how hard it is to get a scholarship, as they typically go to top scholars--those that performed extraordinarily well on the ACT/SAT tests. I wish, then, that I would have found some sort of resource that provides financial help to those who are not considered "in need" by the FAFSA but aren't quite smart enough to get the "merit based" super genius scholarships.

caitlyn

I wish i would have known har far it was from home. The 9 hour drive kills you.

MIchael

I wish I'd known more about different types of majors and what I could do with them in life, in reference to a career life.