Texas Tech University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Texas Tech University

Lynne

Texas Tech University is so diverse and fun. You meet people from all over the world. There is always something to do for everybody. The education is top as well. Several majors have career fairs which most students always get job and internship offers. The faculty and staff are very helpful and friendly. The students are the very best!!!

Demetrius

I have yet to be disappointed by this university. My only biggest qualm is the price of housing. There\'s plenty to do both on and off campus. Its almost impossible to not find help or assistance with all the facilities, officers, and literature given to students and STEM-specific students especially. This place has definitely earned a 4 star rating.

Cecelia

Tech is an amazing school. The community here is very welcoming, it is easy to get involved and find a sense of belonging among the student populace. My experiences have all been positive, Tech is a great campus. The spirit of the community and city lays within this university.

alan

good school, good experience

Madison

My overall opinion of Texas Tech University is that it is an extremely welcoming, friendly, and fun environment with still plenty of focus on academics and sports. Student involvement is high and greatly encouraged. Here, there is a place for everyone.

I love Tech, I have found some incredibly interesting niche classes, such as "Ancient Technology," which ended up being a course that critically examined human development solely through the presence of tools throughout history. That is likely my favorite part about TTU, if you're interested in it, there's almost a certainly a class on it, though it may only be made up of a few people. Academics are huge for me, so it's definitely the first thing I bring up when people ask me about my experiences as a Red Raider!

Cele

There is a lot of diversity! Living on campus is very beneficial, there's a variety of on-campus dining to choose from, and MANY resources available to students. As for academics, professors are great & it is obviously a priority at the school. Game days are AWESOME, everyone is there, & we have, without a doubt, THE BEST student section & traditions. If you're looking for a school with a big feel that has a little something to appeal to each individual, TECH is the school for you. Wreck EM!

Diandra

Texas Tech is a great school overall. There are many types of people that you will meet. Everyone is so nice here and in the community around it. It is pretty easy to make friends. The school spirit is big here especially at the football games. It is a good sized school.

Aundrea

Texas Tech University is a home away from home. Everyone is really friendly, and you will always have something to do. Although we are known for being a "party school," our academics and professors are among the elite in state education. Professors are willing to help you if you help yourself. If you don't get caught up in the wrong things, you can excel at Texas Tech University.

Taryn

Texas Tech University is a very good school for academics. However, there isn't much to do on campus besides study or watch Netflix. Most of the students go out four out of seven days of the weeks simply because there is nothing else to do. The classes are very interesting and the professors are usually ready to help whenever a student asks. Overall, Texas Tech is a good school with not much to do in your free time.

Gabriel

good

Trebian

I like the way Texas Tech looked it was a huge school with a lot of opportunities. I felt safe just stepping foot on campus. I want to attend Texas Tech University and learn here. When I visited Texas Tech there were so many people who greeted me one by one. I fell in love in that moment. I want to go there and be apart of something huge.

candace

While Lubbock is known for its dust and isolated landscape, the city is a hub of intellectual activity. The presence of the university has encouraged the development of an engaged and innovative arts scene; local artists, patrons, and students come together every month for the First Friday Art Trail, a community event that provides opportunities for artists from K-12 to established visiting artists. The flat landscape, that has inspired artists such as Georgia O'Keefe, continues to foster deep ties to the land; The university is home base for programs such as Land Arts—where university students from across the nation come to spend a semester working on individual projects while hiking across the landscape of the American Southwest. It is also home to numerous museums, galleries, artist studios, and archaeological sites that are available to students. The small size of the city provided a blank canvas for student activity; I founded an Arabic Language organization that was strongly encouraged by the community, and, through this organization, we managed to raise funds for the IRC and host movie pre-screenings and discussion forums. We were also used as a resource for local organizations during the last election. This tight-knit community and Texas Tech provided me with one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Jenae

As a 1st year freshman at Texas Tech University, I love it here. I love the atmosphere Tech gives off of. Every time I walk to class, I get goosebumps because I love Tech that much. The professors are more than willing to help their students strive academically and professionally as well. The atmosphere on campus on game days is insane, everyone is pumped to tailgate and enjoy the game. Lubbock is a great little city as well.

Kylee

Texas Tech University offers several opportunities for students. At this university, I have made lifelong friends, met amazing professors, and have joined clubs and organizations that I never thought was possible. Ever since I began studying here, I have felt at home. Texas Tech has allowed me to grow and learn in every way. This university prides themselves on diversity and therefore it is an excellent choice for anyone.

Timothy

This is my first college, so I cannot say for certain that this review is Tech-specified or if it is applicable to all colleges. The majority of teachers do not seem qualified to be a teacher. Facilities are exceptional and well-kept. Dorm life is the same as other colleges, I assume. The people here are diverse and relatively easy to get along with. I am happy. Stressed, but happy. Broke, but happy. Sad, but happy.

Alexis

Overall, my opinion of Texas Tech University is very good. I just finished my first year as a transfer student at Tech and I will have to say they are very accepting of transfer students. Once I got involved with the campus, they accepted me as if I attended Tech since my first year of college.

Minerva

Texas Tech is home. This has been the best college experience because everyone is helpful and friendly. Besides the comunity, TTU includes different associations and extracurricular activities for those who like to give back to the community and want to have the social life.

Sara

Deciding to live in Chitwood was the best decision I could have ever made. When I was deciding where to live, almost all the reviews online said that Chitwood was a hell-hole and that other dorms like Stangel/ Murdough and Horn/Knapp were much better. Fortunately, the one positive Chitwood review, that's title read: SORORITY GIRLS LIVE IN CHITWOOD, was enough to convince me to pick Chitty. The day after Bid Day, almost every door had letters on it, making it easy to find new sisters on my floor. Chitwood is perfect for the girl who loves to watch movies and study with her friends, but craves the excitement that runs through the hallways on a Thursday/ Friday/ Saturday night. Advice: pick a room on a low floor so you don't have to use the slow elevators, try to not live next to the CA, coordinate room colors with your roommate, buy fabric for your bulletin board [dimensions available on ttu housing website], buy a big rug [you'll thank me later], and DO NOT be afraid to have a random roommate...my random roommate who I was really worried about getting along with is now my best friend! So have fun, be fearless, and live in Chitty...the bathrooms are actually pretty nice and newly renovated hahaha.

Gabrielle

Texas Tech is a school sitting in big city with a small-town fell. Not only are the students passionate about the thriving sports events, there are weekly opportunities for students to experience the artistic, academic, and cultural opportunities Lubbock has to offer. The scenery on campus is beautiful and has a Spanish style theme running through the architecture. While the campus has issues like any other one, it's a place that fosters the growth of friendships and knowledge. I would highly recommend that anyone looking to go to college take a look at TTU.

Timothy

This is a great place to spend four years of your life. There is a huge diverse amount of things to do everyone fits in here. People are nice and professors really care for their students and want them to succeed. Overall this is a fun university and I am glad I chose to be Red Raider.

Halley

It is absolutely amazing. I'm so glad this was my college of choice. I encourage others to look into this school all the time because of the people, experiences, resources and so much more. They say you're college experience is your best, and believe me I agree to the fullest.

Deyon

it looks like a very nice university

Marley

Texas Tech University is a great campus that radiates school spirit. Everyone who attends this great school is welcomed and loved. The students here care about one another and show kindness and respect when it is not always necessary. There are many different types of ways to get involved and the information is posted everywhere. Anyone who attends Tech loves their school.

Catherine

Lubbock is a great place to go to school! There's enough to do that we are never bored, but not so many distractions that it's hard to concentrate on studying.

Bailey

Texas Tech is a really great school, there are lots of friendly people and it can be really easy to get involved. If you try to have a good time here, you will.

Alex

It is a good school but if I could go back to high school and get a do over, I WOULD NOT CHOOSE TO ATTEND HERE.

Jordan

I love Texas Tech, but you must make sure you get involved or you will likely have a lonely experience. It can be hard to meet people sometimes, so getting involved will be an easy way to find your people. The campus food and housing are pretty good. It's nothing luxurious, but it's confortable and adds to the college experience. Make the most of it!!

Donelle

Overall I love Texas Tech. It is a great school with a great academic and social life. As an African American who attends this PWI, I say that it is still a great choice. The black community may not be super huge but it is jus big enough where you will never know everybody. But at the same time, it is close-knit enough to where it is almost like a big family. Texas Tech's on-campus living is small in most dorms but as you continue your stay you grow to love your small room. (Unless you live in a movable furniture dorm). The people here are very nice and friendly and are always ready to lend a hand when one is needed.

Tatianna

I have just completed my freshman year at Texas Tech University. Lubbock as a whole is a very college oriented town that works well with Texas Tech and its students. Texas Tech is a school that is academically challenging. However, they do provide students with electives that are a nice break from core curriculum or major- oriented classes. My favorite part of Texas Tech academics is that they require students to take classes that expand their cultural knowledge, such as some majors requiring students to study abroad. In addition, the school provides an ample amount of resources for students to get the help they need in order to succeed. It is a lively campus which always has events taking place, offering students free food and fun activities all throughout the year. The city of Lubbock although seemingly small, has many activities for students to partake in on their down time (it literally has so many restaurants).

Brittanie

I enjoyed my stay in Lubbock, Texas. One of the best things I ever did was look at this college.

Celina

Texas Tech is a great school with amazingly friendly people. If you're a city person who needs to move to a smaller town with not as many distractions, Lubbock is the place for you! The classes are a pretty decent size depending on the class you're taking, but overall the professors in the classes are super nice and always willing to help anything out.

Alyssa

I love it. They genuinely care about their students. You can always find help for anything, from academics to mental health. They want their students to succeed and be happy and well rounded in life. I am extremely happy that I chose Texas Tech. Texas Tech treats their students like humans, not just numbers.

Alec

T exasTech has a huge selection of degrees and is adding more, we will soon have a Vet school. Most classes are nice in size. The campus is very pretty and well-kept. Students are here to learn. I am very glad that my degree will have Texas Tech on it.

Grant

West Texas is a very friendly area and TTU is no different. I have made friends easily and really enjoy campus life.

Mercy

Texas Tech is by far one of the best universities in the state of Texas, if not the best. The classes are more than helpful when it comes to preparing for the future. School pride is without a doubt very upbeat. Food is easily accessible throughout the entire campus and the housing facilities are definitely the best at making students feel at home here in Raiderland. Best people to be around, plus Red Raider Outfitters has the best Raider gear to wear at games, for classes and as gifts for family/ friends. LOVE TEXAS TECH! #WRECKEM' !!!

In my opinion Texas Tech has a lot to offer students. In the residents halls they offer free tutoring for students which has helped me a ton. There are also many different extracurricular activities that students can join. They also have an amazing recreational center for students, and they offer many recreational sports tournaments students can join with there friends. The best part about Texas Tech are the football games. Everyone is so involved and the Goin' Band from Raiderland is so entertaining.

Austin

Texas Tech is an incredible school that is in a less than satisfactory location. Each professor that I have had to interact with was very strong at what they teach and willing to help any students that were struggling. Although Texas Tech is building new things fairly yearly, there are certain things that are being ignored, such as the ancient music building that our department must spend most all of our days in. Overall, Texas Tech is a wonderful school, but Lubbock, Texas is a rather bland town.

Calli

Texas Tech is a great college to attend! I have loved it here ever sense I had my campus tour. It is a beautiful campus and have multiple things going on for students to participate in. It is very welcoming to students interested in Tech and I love all the traditions that we do. We are very big on games so get ready for that but it is a great experience!

Ryder

The campus is huge. Coming from a small town, it took me awhile to get used to. But overall the campus is very nice. If you walk to class, it can take you awhile to get places and there's always people walking around on campus. The residence halls are incredibly active with people living on campus. Activities and groups are always at the park on campus. There's plenty of things to get involved in.

James

Overall, the University is great. The students are easy to get along with and are generally polite and respectful. My rating of the school is specifically based on the Agricultural and Applied Economics Department (AAEC). Our department is severely underfunded. The building is in extremely poor condition and the only improvements I've seen since 2013 are by painting the interior of the building. The level of technology available to students is sub-par, with only one computer lab available at any given time. The computers and operating systems are outdated and not capable of handling the spreadsheets and applications we need to be able to analyze financial statements, excel spreadsheets, etc. The professors are almost all from foreign countries and a majority of the entire faculty/staff have absolutely zero experience in working within the agricultural industry. The theories taught in economics are as outdated as the building, the professors severely lack the necessary skills to effectively convey and teach the information clearly or efficiently and mostly read off of PowerPoint lectures that are decades old and worded with incorrect grammar and use of the English language. I could write a dissertation on the inefficiencies of this department, but I don't have time. Overall, this department fails to remain competitive to other universities with similar programs and does not offer a quality education in any facet. Save your money and go elsewhere or choose a different major.

Ester

I love Texas Tech! Every department is organized and the advisors are always willing to help. They teach you responsibility and expect more than just enough from you. Being here has encouraged me to go for my Masters and maybe even my PhD! I enjoy being a part of this learning community and I am sure everyone else can say the same thing!

Matt

Texas tech is a very unique school with an atmosphere that you can't find anywhere else. You can find school spirit not only on campus but in the entire city of Lubbock. If you attend school here, you might as well be a Lubbock naitive because the locals will treat you like one of their own. There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people every day as well as multiple clubs and organizations that you can find to fit into any group of people that you want to be around. The Greek life is a huge part of the school, with a strong IFC board and every large Greek organization holding a house on campus. It is hard to find a thing to complain about while attending Texas Tech. WRECK 'EM!

Brandy

Texas Tech may have some quirks (like not walking on the grass and throwing tortillas at football games), but what college doesn't? Tech is very proud to have a variety of traditions and a fierce school spirit. Regardless of the size of the student population, it always feels like one big family. Let's not forget, the campus is beautiful!

Suzette

Overall, Texas Tech University is a great school. Most professors are really tough on grading. Every semester is stressful if you are an engineer. There is a lot of opportunities to get involved with Texas Tech. There are many societies, organizations, and Greek life to join (even non-panhellenic). There is not much to do in Lubbock, but if you make friends Texas Tech is a good environment. I lived on campus for the 2015-2016 academic year and there was a lot of crime. I lived in an all girls dorm (Knapp Hall) and did not have access to a blue light (emergency phone) in case of an emergency (pretty scary at night). Overall, I enjoy getting my education here. I wish there were more extracurricular activities closer to the school or provided by the school. The school does provide a few outdoor trips you can pay for, but not many.

Rehney

I love attending school at Texas Tech University, the faculty has been great working with and I see myself being proud of where I obtained my bachelor’s degree from. I am not a traditional student and I work a regular 40 hour work week so some semesters can be hard to work classes into my work schedule. Texas Tech University tuition is also rather pricey and for a student that has never been able to receive federal grants it is becoming a struggle to pay for schooling.

I cant wait to go there next year. Its going to be great and its the best school I can think of.

Celeste

Texas Tech is an amazing university! Students have access to everything and anything, with the opportunity to grow both academically and personally. It is a huge and beautiful school, with a small campus feel. Once you go red and black, you never go back!

Brittony

It's a great general school. It has wonderful individual programs.

Madeleine

I am currently a junior at Texas Tech University and throughout my journey here I have found that the community is able to welcome you with open arms. On multiple occasions, when I need the most help not only was able to make last minute advising appointments but also have been attend office hours with one of my professors.