Texas Woman’s University Top Questions

ESTHER

Dual program in Executive Masters in Business Administration and Master of Health Systems Management

joy

The courses are easy to understand because of the attitude the teachers have towards the students. they are willing to answer and help students whenever they are in need.

Montyona

The academics at TWU are great in my opinion. Ever since my first semester in college, I have appreciated and enjoyed the professors and assistant professors at TwU. The extra tutoring labs that have become available are an excellent resource for the students who may be struggling in a subject. The professors are engaging and eager to help their students succeed. I have enjoyed each and every course that I have taken at Texas Woman's Univeristy.

Allison

Most of my professors have been very helpful, the classes are usually small enough so that if you have a question you wont get over looked. The friends I have made at TWU are very smart and motivated. My major is Nutrition and Dietetics, however I am taking a ceramics class which for me is a great stress reviler. My favorite class that I have had to take for core requirements was Women's Studies, I think this should be a core requirement everywhere because it teaches one how to respect people who are different than you, this class gave me a very humanistic outlook on live and I believe this class made me a more well rounded person.

Kiran

Because of small class sizes, it is very personal. Most of the professors will know their students by their names, which I think is very important. Having office hours after class allows students to get in touch with their professors and they are very understanding and schedule appointments if your schedule doesn't meet their office hours. Knowing the professors one on one is very important to me and it can also be very helpful when you need letters of recommendations. Since class sizes are small, it is less intimidating for students to participate, it feels more like a group session when you're in class. Each department has their own section in the buildings which is like a lounge area, this allows the students to meet other students in the class or other similar classes and discuss things.

Natalie

The academics at Texas Woman's University is very strict. The administration really wants their students to succeed in this future profession; from that they want the students t work for it. The professors are amazing when it comes to caring for their students. The professors know that most of their students, at least the science professors, are going into the nursing program.This particular program is the most competitive program at the university for the nursing school only allow the best to be allowed to go to nursing school. Because of this, the science teachers work personally with the students,if the students want, to help succeed in this dreams. Most of the professors, if not all, truly care about their students, for the students at this university is a person and not just a number like larger universities. Now the students do have to work really hard to get into this particular program, but once the students are in, they are almost guaranteed an amazing experience becoming a nurse as well as a job once they graduate from nursing school. What makes this particular nursing school so much more superior than others is the nursing students work all over the DFW community and the hospitals see how dedicated they are and many of them are offered jobs before even graduating. Whats even better, is most of the programs that this university has to offer work really similar to the nursing program, which makes this university so great.

Mariah

I think that TWU's academics is quite amazing. I like that certian teachers keep it real and break things down when you need. I also like that some teachers if it is a smaller class know your name and are able to answer any questions you may have. All of my teacher i have had or at least most have been really approachable. I do have the ocational teacher that is a little intemidating but reaching them through email helps that. My major is business administration and my department is really helpful on letting me know what i have to read and which classes to take. Since this school is really known for its nursing program people seem to forget how good there other departments such as science or business are really good as well.

Classes here are the best. TWU offers tutoring in pretty much every subject (FREE!) and this really helps students to make the best grade possible. Professors really get to know you on a personal level and make classes fun. My favorite class is my history class with Marilyn Murphy, she makes this 3 hour class really fun and I've really learned a lot. My least favorite class is chemistry (not my best subject) but I've honestly learned a lot from this class. Class participation varies from class to class but for the most part there is a lot of participation (voluntary). I would say the students here are competitive with grades, however, only competitive to make the best grade they can. Every person I've had a class with is always willing to have study groups so we all make great grades. My major is Kinesiology, I love this! All my classes are really exciting, my class this semester is a class where we go to a school and teach young kids motor skills.

Kathryn

As far as academics at this school, they are of high priority. Because of the small class sizes, most professors will know you by name, which is nice, because for me, I would rather be known, than just be a fish in a large pond. Class participation is very common. My piano teacher has everyone answer questions each class by individually playing scales, improvisation, and sight-reading. It is most important to know what you are doing and to study to make sure that you are on top of your game when your name gets called. I suppose it would depend on which class that you took, as far as students being competitive. I really don't see it much in my classes; of course everyone wants to do well, but I see more people supporting one another, than just everyone being in their own little world wanting to one up someone each time they fail. My favorite class would have to be my Applied Voice class. Being a Music Major, I have to take six semesters on my primary instrument, which for me is voice. I have two thirty minute lessons a week, one where I work on technique with my professor and one where I work on repertoire for the week with my piano accompanist. It is a challenging class, but I love it. I love that it is individual, and that I get to continue to do what I love, with the professional voice lessons, like I did when I was in high school. I have lots of other favorite classes besides Applied Voice, such as Concert Choir, Early Childhood Develpment, Music in Therapy, and Childhood Adolesence. My least favorite class would have to have be my Music Theroy class. It's not that I don't like it, but it is just a class that I really have to work hard in, because theory is tough; it is definitely a class I do well in by going to tutoring and working on it outside of class. The education recevied at TWU is geared toward your future career, which is great because that is what the student population is there for. Not that gaining the skills for your future career has to be boring, no way! The professors create fun and hands-on projects and assignments to complete, which are usually more fun, than sitting in a class doing a book report.

Chalette

I have yet to meet an instructor that did not know my name after a sufficient amount of time attending the class. I am an extremely competitive student, wanting to maintain nothing less than a 4.0 GPA. There are other students that feel the same way that I do and that brings about competition. Fortunately, I am someone that does not have to study very hard, so my study hours are not as high as the other students. I actually found in a Developmental Psychology course that when I studied for more than a couple of hours, my grade actually dropped. I am a Government with a focus in Legal Studies major, and I feel that the curriculum is geared towards my field of choice, pre-law. I think it depends on the student and where they want to go in life that will determine if their coursework coincides with that career choice.

Larisa

One thing I love about TWU is the fact that we are not a party school. The students here are determined to get their education and their degree. They are focused on their studies and are determined to succeed. I feel as though TWU offers a wide range of classes. I am an honors student and I had the opportunity to take a World Literature class that focused on Irish literature for an entire semester and then we took a nine day trip to Ireland. It was amazing to see the places we read about and experience the culture we studied. If you have the opportunity to study abroad, even if just for a week, go for it. It is a once in a life time experience.

Larisa

Nicollette

Professors know my name, they help my every need, they make there office open outside of hours, they do everything in their power to help every student be as successful as they want to be. They fulfill all academic requirements and where possible help you go above and beyond your own expectations