Texas Woman’s University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

joy

The stereotype of students at my school is that there are fewer boys than girls. This is very true. my school contains only 11{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of boys

That the school is only for liberal women and gay guys. This is not true at all because a vast majority of the people that attend this school come to be kinesiology majors and the majority of the guys that come are no more gay than the Average Joe.

Montyona

Many people may perceive a female student at TWU as being a student parent or homosexual. Due to the majority of our students being females, I beleive those stereotypes are one minded and very biased. The students at TWU are a group of diverse and intelligent men and women who strive for excellence.

The stereotype that we get is that TWU is an all girls school when it's really co-ed.

Shaniqua

There aren't many if any stereotypes here. Our school is more community based and open to all walks of life. Of course we have the frats and the athletes but we also have clubs and organizations for if you dont have the skills to participate in the major organizations.

I go to Texas Woman's University and one of the biggest stereotypes at my school is that everyone is a lesbian. Being a member of quite a few organizations, including 3 honors societies and a sorority, I can say that is not the truth. Although, even if it were true, it honestly shouldn't matter, it does not make the teaching any different.

Kiran

Since our main population is women, many people who do not go to Texas Woman's University assume we have a lot of Lesbians. They assume most girls are lesbians and assume the guys who go here must be gay. This stereotype is definitely not true. TWU has a wide variety of people and sexual preferences are also varies. The population of male students is increasing every year, and I can guarantee that just because a guy goes to school at TWU, it does not mean he's gay.

Kiran

Cornelius

The stereotype at Texas Woman's University for people who do not attend the school is to think that no guys go there. As a male, myself, when I inform people on my place of study they are shocked to know the student population is 13{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} guys; better yet, they are even more shocked to find out that most guys who attend are straight in sexuality.

Some of the common stereotypes of the students that go to Texas Woman's University are lazy students and lesbians. Even though these stereotypes are accurate to a sense; the overall population of the university is not this way. There is a small percentage of both kinds of parties, but the overall sense of the students at Texas Woman's University is: they care about their grades and their personal life is personal and not usually out in the open.

BRENDA

At my time in Texas Woman's University I have not recently encounter many stereotypes of the students. Although since TWU is majority girls, I guess you can say that some guys are hesitant to apply because they believe it's an all girls school. When in reality our male enrollment is increasing! We are up to about a 13-15{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} male enrollment. We are classified as a very diverse university. According to U.S. News and World Report magazine we are proud to say that TWU is ranked top three in the states as well as the top 10 nationally among universities with the most diverse student populations. Another typical stereotype that people may have about students who attend TWU, is that all the girls who attend are feminist. Which is not true. Just because we choose to attend a university where the majority student population are women does not necessary mean we hate men. Many may think this about girls who attend TWU but it's not necessary true.

Mariah

Well when people first here of Texas Woman's University and not knowing anything about it, they think a school full of girls that are lesbians. They assume since we want to go to an all girl school we must also be lebian curious. As for the stereotype when you get here people look around and think of people as being "ghetto." I recently had a friend come visit me and the stereotype that they kept seeing was either rude or ghetto. And by all means this sterotype is very wrong.

The stereotypes of TWU is that all the students are female. However, this isn't true, a lot of guys go here. Another stereotype is that a lot of the students are black, however there is a great mix of races in this school. Through this, you learn a lot about other cultures which most students aren't used to.

Texas Woman's University is different from other colleges that I visited when I was trying to decide where I wanted to go. I would say it is a pretty mixed variety, but the thing I love is the fact that there are all of these different types of people around campus, but they don't make themselves known, like they do in a typical high school setting. It is a very welcoming environment for all types. Since it was once an all women's university, there are a lot of women who go there; very few men, so that is something to consider. I think some men are turned off by the name "Texas Woman's Univeristy". But overall, I would say that it is very mixed just like any other school, but not noticed as much, because everyone is different and is pursuing different careers.

I would say the biggest stereotype at Texas Woman's University is that all students are women. This is simply not true! The majority of our students are female, but the male student population grows each semester. One of the things that most surprised me about Texas Woman's University is the diverse student population. For a smaller school, it is wonderfully diverse. We have many international students from all over the world, and we also have a large non-traditional student population. Texas Woman's University also is one of the most veteran-friendly universities. We are far from being an all-girls school!

Chalette

Some of the stereotypes about the students that attend TWU is that the women are either lesbian or bisexual and that they feel the need for some sort of women's empowerment. Also, people do not think that men attend this school, and if they do, then there is some underlying reason for doing so. The stereotypes are inaccurate. There are quite a few people here that are married or in heterosexual relationships, although there are a number of lesbians and gay men that attend. Believe it or not, but some of us actually want an education and thought that this school would be one of the best places to get one.

Larisa

Many prospective students think that because we are Texas Woman's University that we are all females. We have a growing population of male students. However, because TWU is still predominately female, this college provides a great bond of sister-ship. There's a sense of girl power that allows us to strive for things that are usually male oriented. TWU offers a unique class that is required at the university and it is called Woman's Studies. Despite common belief, it is not about a man-hating, lesbians rule lifestyle, but rather what kind of hardships woman have faced in the past, those we are currently facing in today's society, and how, as the next generation, we can improve our future.

Nicollette

Well a common stereotype since we are called Texas WOMAN'S University, and mostly women is that there are a lot of lesbians and or gays, This stereotype may or may not be accurate, but is not something that should bother anyone. If anything someone should be happy to attend a school that doesn't suffer from hipocracy, or homophobic people. My school is an open and loving environment in where everyone can feel comfortable to be who they really are and not have to hide from those who disprove