The Art Institute of Colorado Top Questions

Teri

The things that I would mention to myself as a senior would be to discover the best way financially to achieve my degree. Attending an Art's school is quite expensive. So, I would have told myself to start at a junior college for my general education classes and then transfer to the Art Institute. I also would have told myself to start early to fill out scholarships and to fill out as many as possible. As far as transitions go I would tell myself to keep up with my studies but to take time and enjoy myself. A lot of my stress is due to financial concerns so most of my spare time is taken up with filling out scholarship forms. Between full time school and work it can be difficult to take time to "stop and smell the roses."

Kyrstianna

If I could go back and talk to my high school self knowing what I know now about college, I would tell myself not to worry so much. Don't stress about the little things because everything will work out. I was very worried that I wouldn't find anyone to connect with because the university I attend has a wide variation of age groups, not like a normal college that has freshman, sophmores and so on. Work hard, to your best and make sure you are just yourself and you will do fine. I would tell myself to take in as much knowledge as humanely possible because the time goes by so fast and before you know it you are already in your second year, so don't take it for granted because life goes fast and you don't want to have any regrets, could have's, should have's or would have's.

If I were to give myself advice, the advice would be: To pay attention to what’s important. When we’re young, we focus on things going on “now”, but focusing on “now” isn’t the way to plan for success. I would stress to myself that while personal relationships and romance are important, they come with time and maturity, and what you find in the rush of youth never lasts. I would tell myself that school is the most important thing I could do. Success in school and success in a work environment would be the defining factors on how I would achieve what I wanted in life. College is where many of us begin to find ourselves and if we focus more on that discovery, we will find ourselves to be a much greater person who knows who they are and how to work hard to get what they want. We spend so many years wasting our time and energy chasing the wrong things. So I would tell myself to study hard, get a job, and ignore all of the boys and parties because there will be time for that later when I have achieved my personal goals.

Janie

I would tell myself to listen to my mom. She told me to look at Child Development but I didn't listen. I tried everything else instead. Then finally I did try Child Development but it was to late to tell my mom she was right she died from cancer two weeks into the start of school.

Joseph

Dream big, hustle hard, those would be the last words I would say to my high school senior self. I would tell my former self how much potential he has, and that he has the oppurtunity to cultivate a raw talent he possesses. The world out there is a fierce world, there are great people out there that may seem to make you feel that you are so insignificant and small, and you may feel the people that make you feel that way are regarded as geniuses in this world, where you're not. But, I can tell you that you're wrong, you have a different type of genius that no one else has, you're a genius of hard work, a genius of passion, and a genius of will, with that alone you can surpass the worlds greatest. You can't do it alone, college will help prepare you surpass the world, but college alone isn't enough, you must engulf yourself in your dreams, and proceed with no regrets always putting your life on the line. I believe in you in every way, dream big, hustle hard!

Rebekah

Life is not all about the social aspect of things. In other words study your butt off. Every grade matters and don't procrastinate. Learn to multitask and time management.

Efrain

Advice i would give myself would be, to really think criticaly about my decion on a school. I only say that because I am transfer student from California and decided to move back to Colorado because i could not live in Los Angeles, alone, financially. When i moved back, i moved back in with my parents and that made my college life so much easier. Although i do live about 40 minutes away from the school, so i do have to commute to school. If i were to get a scholarship, i would hope i would be able to use the money to help me move closer to school, so i would not have to commute everyday. Over all, if I could go back in time, i would ask myself, is L.A. the right place for me? at this point in time in my life. My answer would be no, i would stay in Colorado and go to The Art Institute of Colorado and study for Fashion Design as planned.

Fatima

I would inform myself not to take a break after high school, and I would advise myself to remain at home where living cost is affordable. I would propose taking my education seriously because my decision irrefutable will be my tomorrow. Knowing what I’ve learned about school, I would suggest taking all lower level classes at a community college and then transfer to a University. I would suggest approaching all classes as if they were jobs.

Jade

If I could start over, knowing what I know now I would make my own path instead of following in the foot steps of others. I would focus more on school than on what is going on in the moment, making it my highest priority. I would have more confidence in myself and my abilities, instead of looking for acceptance from my peers. I would understand the meaning of what a true friend is and surround myself by them. I would focus on my future, knowing that in the end you can really only count on yourself to make it happen! I would be confident being me!

Lisa

High school was a time of great pressure, both socially and educationally. I challenged myself by taking honors classes, and I would not change that as it helped me to grow and be challenged. However, I would tell my high school self, that being motivated and trying my best is important, but being perfect is not. I would empasize that mistakes are a part of growing, and is actually a learning tool if you learn from them and grow further.. I would let myself know that being accepted by others is not as important as being accepted by yourself. I would worry less about being liked by others, and more about appreciating the person that I am. I would impart the knowledge that loving yourself and loving others without being judgmental makes life so much easier and more enjoyable. I would stress less about schoolwork and social standing, and find more peace in my heart.

Chad

To be honest, and I hope this organization is one that won't exclude an applicant for that, but if i could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a senior I would say.....DON'T CHANGE A THING! I'm sorry but if I don't give you the answer your looking for by telling how I should have told myself to wise up, listen to my parents more, go to class I would be lying. If went back and changed things well then I might now be in the place I am now. And I'm happy with who I am, where am I'm at, and where I'm headed because I fully heartedlty believe if I hadn't gone through my life the way I did and making the decisions I did then I wouldn't be where I'm at now. I'm currenlty on my way of earning a bachelor's degree in Graphic Design and I plan on getting my Masters in Art Therapy after this. Nothing will stand in my way. I'm focused because I've learned through my LIFE experiences, don't have regrets.

Amelia

From my college experience I have gained knowledge and the processes through which I attained that knowledge has transformed me in ways that have made attending college valuable. I have grown as I sacrificed hanging out with friends to read another chapter, or had an apple for a snack instead of a bag of chips so that I may be focused in lecture. Everytime I turned off my phone, stopped blogging, walked away from the television and missed season finales of the shows on the tip of everyone's tongue because I knew I needed to study, I matured as an individual. I became aware of the tasks at hand and their purpose: education is the gateway to a better life for me, a way to overcome my adversary. My college experience has taught me about the minor detours that must be avoided as they make realizing my goals difficult as I lose focus. It is a valuable experience to attend college because I am fulfilling my goals of acquiring an education, but I'm also attaining the tools to focus, be aware and accountable, and forever be a successful individual, that will one day help others.

Eurania

Attending The Art Institute of Colorado has been a great learning experience, because within my Design Management program I have gotten the opportunity to study business as it relates to the design world within graphic design and photography. My ultimate goal is to become a Creative Director or Art Director within the design industry. The education that I am receiving has been very valuable, as I have learned so much from my instructors as well as my peers. I am learning how today’s ever changing business market brings the need for creative people and innovation. Keeping employees motivated is a very important part for the survival of a business. Project managers, creative directors, and the like need to be able to get the best performance from their team. I have gained great leadership skills, and I am learning how to bring out the best in creative thinkers.

Angela

In the year 2009, a pediatrician told me that I was going to be my daughter’s best advocate. I knew that I was, but the words connected me to the diagnoses given to me on the day she was born. I could not have been more or less prepared the day of her birth. It was very surreal to see the Down Syndrome in her angelic face. I read books and googled all the information I could about Down syndrome to know what I would have to give her so she can thrive, grow and have every opportunity as her peers. In giving her every opportunity, I know that I need to have the foundation and financial resources to make sure that her needs will be met. It made sense to pursue an education in a something that I have a passion for. She is my driving force in putting my goals and dreams back on track after putting it all on hold to raise my first set of children. It is never too late to get an education and make a dream become a reality. Sometimes it takes someone special to advocate for the advocator.

Iam a non-traditional student who never had any artistic training in high school. I returned to school after 30 years and have had the most wonderful experiences I could have every had. I am graduating in December of this year and am looking forward to my new life as a photographer. During my time here, I have gotten to know some of the best people in my life and I know that the will always be a part of me when I leave. I have learned so much, not only about myself but about people as well. I have also got to share my life experiences with the young people here and think that some of them will take my experiences with them. So my giving back is very rewarding. When I leave here I will take all my new experiences with me as well as leaving some behind. I am a true believer in the statement "You are never to old to learn." I seem to have been reborn, and what is really amazing is I am always competing with my daughter to see who gets the best grades. She always win but that's ok with me

McKenzy

My college experience has greatly expanded my horizons. I was a very sheltered person from Nebraska who loved art and i moved to Colorado to follow that dream. I am much more outgoing and can do so much more on my own than i ever could before. I have met so many great people and have made some life long friends, and im not even done with school! Allong with great relationships i have gained the knowledge and ability to do something that i love and i am so lucky to have that. There are so many things really that i have gained from being a college student and i would never trade it for anything.

Eric

I have gained many things from attending The Art Institute beyond classroom knowledge. I have gained confidence in myself and my work that was lacking. I have gained an understanding that I need to be creative and productive in my life to be a happy and complete person. The instructors have given both support and guidance in searching for internships and work. Most importantly I have realized that I had lost a joy in my life. I have found that joy again in a rediscovered love of learning. I am finding that feeding my mind has become a thrill and a challenge. I always want to know and understand more. I want to discover new ways to apply what I have leaned. Learning is no longer work and consequently work has become exciting. It is not something I dread and try to avoid but it is where I get to challenge myself to be better and to explore. The thought of not working has become boring. This change in perspective and renewed love of learning is the most valuable thing I could have learned. I cannot put a price on it.

Lashonda

I was fresh out of the United States Navy when I enrolled in school. I went into this new experience with a mind set that after completeing basic training and all of the other challenges the Navy threw at me, I could handle anything! In the eight months I have been attending The Art Institute of Colorado, I have learned that my experiences in the military were only a small percentage of the challenges the world has to offer me. Perhaps most important, my college experience has taught me that following rules and trying to live up to standards isn't the only way to reach an objective. You can't be afraid to use your imagination, take matters into your own hands, and create new possibilities. Attending this school has been valuable to me in that my experience here has opened me up to see the infinite potential I have to make my mark on the world, through gaining an education in culinary arts. I am looking forward to learning everything I possibly can from my instructors in these next three years I will spend working towards earning my bachelors degree in food and beverage management.

Cajah

The value of a college education is immeasurable. A degree may be needed for job placement and peer-acceptance, but the experience itself gives an individual a sense of accomplishment that carries throughout his or her life. My personal college experience has been a positive one. I have set several educational goals for myself and with the encouragement of friends, family, and instructors some of those goals have been met. Thankfully, the last goal of graduation is within my sights. The determination to follow through to the end has instilled self-worth, confidence, and the knowledge that I can do anything I set my mind to. Ultimately, the knowledge and experience gained by college life will provide an opportunity to enter in a beneficial career and show my children that pursuing an education can open doors for them as well.

Well, for starters I wasn't planning on going to college right out of high school. Like many others, I was going to wait a year to save money so I could have a good start with college. Then, my grandfather called The Art Institute of Colorado because he knew that it would be the best thing for me. He was right. I have learned to manage my time better with homework. Homework I actually want to do. At the Art Institute, I feel like I belong. Every day I'm surrounded by people who have as much passion and love for what they do as I do. Being there has taught me that I can do what I love. What I've dreamed of doing my entire life. Being in college has taught me that sometimes you need that push in the right direction to get you started with something great. I have my grandfather to thank for giving me that push. I love college and I plan on doing all it takes to get that degree come 2014 for my graduation.

Nhi-cam

From what I had gotten out of my college experienced was a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. On the very first day, four hours I thought was going to be dreadful, but in a blink of an eye, it went by so fast that it didn't even feel like it had been that long. I made a new friend that right off the bat, felt we had been friends for a long time. The teachers are excellent in explaining their subjects to the student, and I love the fact that I am allowed to doodle and draw each and every day that is for a grade!

Malisa

On July 13th 2009, I entered The Art Institute of Colorado as my sweaty hands gripped a freshly printed schedule. I was nervous. It was then, on my very first day of college, when I vowed to myself that from this point forward, I should take steps to mature to prepare for "the real world." Almost a year later, I feel I am well on my way. I am even considering starting my own company; such an idea would not have even crossed my mind when I started at The Art Institute. Since then, I have gained a sense of confidence in myself-- a confidence that will continue to grow as I move forward towards my degree and as I enter the workforce. Often, I am told that The Art Institute of Colorado is a place of both education and business. It is the business aspect that allows students to develop professsionalism and time management skills. I reflect on the anxiety I once felt towards the school and laugh; surrounded by inspiring peers and experienced teachers, I had no reason to be nervous. I've come to realize that at The Art Institute of Colorado, I'm in good hands.

Brett

If it were not for my college education, my growth, as an adult and as an active member of my community, would have forever been stunted. For, because of the experience, I have learned the value of my peers, and of a higher eductation inside and outside the classroom. This potential to learn has allowed my mind to open to all possiblities and pushes me to pursue my dreams against all odds. Of course, there have been times of struggle (as there are with all great endeavors), but it is because of each of the pinnacles to every mountainous undertaking, that I could see the open seas of success past the great mountain range of self discovery which is my college education. My education, though given a price by others, is priceless to me. Without it, I would remain stagnant in the desert pools, eventually growing too large and slowly suffacating in my lack of knowledge. It is because of this education that I will truly find freedom, and with that freedom, help my fellow man discover themselves and find their own ways out of the desert of close-mindedness, and across the mountains of discovery to the freedom beyond.

Jason

As a college sophomore, I find it astounding how much I?ve learned about myself and how my decisions have affected my life. If I had an opportunity to offer myself advice as a senior in high school, I would begin with telling my former self to loosen up and put to rest any worries about what others around me are doing with their life and to focus on my own. I recall being so distressed with the decisions my friends were making with their lives; I forgot to focus on my own. Next I would tell myself to research who I am and what colleges exist out there. I find myself still wandering around other school?s websites with a thought of ?what if?? And lastly, I would tell myself to decide what makes me happiest in the world, and to do it. Regardless if happiness is in another country, or taking a year off to decide what I want to do in life. But ultimately, I am happy with my path and have no regrets. Thank You and Best Regards,

Holly

I would tell myself to make sure that you get enough sleep each night, because when you are in your cooking class you don't get brakes and you are on your feet for 5 hours. So you need to make sure you are fully rested so you are ready to go.

Demetri

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school, one of the most important things I would tell myself is to go to college for Video Production. I say that because, working worth videos is the best thing I have done with myself. Its completly change my view on life and I always i'm looking for to going to class. When I was in high school my Multimedia class was just another elective, working with videos was fun, but it wasn't something I seen myself having a career in. When i graduated high school, I went to Metro State for criminal justice for a year, which made me lose my complete interest in going to school. Than after that year, one of my friends wanted me to make their basketball highlight video. When I made that video, it made me realize that I really had alot of talent when it came to making videos. Its now two years later since I first graduated, and I now go to college at The Art Institute of Colorado. I love everyday I have a class there. Its the best decision I have ever made.

Danielle

If I could advise my teenage self regarding the transition from high school to college, I would probably advise myself to do exactly what I did. Even though I did not know what I wanted to do for a career going into college the first time, I still think it was a good thing to do. I wouldn't advise myself to take a year off and work between high school and college, because I think the risk of never going to college then is just too big. Plus, I think college is a great time for a teenager to transform into an independent adult. Plus, even though the degree from my first college education is not currently useful, it did help me to find the path that led me to discovering my passion for Culinary Arts. So I would advise myself to go to the University and work hard but also to have fun and enjoy life and discover what in life makes me most passionate.

Stephen

Upon completion of high school and after graduation I decided not to pursue college seriously but rather to work full time in society. After three years of going nowhere I decided to obtain direction in my life when I joined the United States Army. I did three years in which I deployed to combat and also learned a new way of discipline and self motivation. I entered college immedaitly after my honorable seperation from the military and have maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout my first year of college as well as to date. If I could go back in time I would convince myself to pursue college immedaitly after graduation from high school. Why this is important to me is because I would of already had a degree and been working in industry towards a new career. I feel that I have started late and would have liked to start college directly following high school.

Lyndsay

In all honesty, I don't know if I would give myself a lot of advice if I could. Though my life is far from perfect, it would not be what it is today. If I had not made the mistakes I did, I would not be who I am today. That being said, if I could go back and time to give myself advice, it would probably be this: Take a year off after high school to rest, and recuperate. In my senior year I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, and though I was in remission before graduation came, I did not know how sick and weak I would still be during the next year. Trying to recuperate and go to school was a mistake. Not only was I too tired to attend classes, but my drive and ambition faltered as well. Still, If I had not been as rash as I had and gone to college that first year and then dropped out, I may not have had the oppourtunity to realize where my true passion and talent lied. So I am truly grateful for the learning experiences I have been given and I have no regrets.

Tina

Stay focused and with hard work anything can happen! Never give up and high school is over quickly.

Edward

If I could go back in time I really would have tried to focus harder on math. My acuplacer test in college really reflected my lack of algebra skills. I also would have went to prom and participated in more social events. I would have told myself that girls were not as important as I thought. Lol. I don't have too many regrets because I love where I am at in life, but I think if I would have focused a little more than I would have got some scholarships. Right now I have a 3.5 gpa. I think that shows how serious I am in making the difference between high school and college.

Angela

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have one word of advice; CARB. While it may seem like I am referring to avoiding the freshman fifteen I am not. CARB is an acronym for the four things I wish I would have known entering college. C: Community colleges; use them for transfer credits. This can benefit you in two ways. First it will save you money. Secondly use them for classes that you perceive as being hard and are required for your major; this way you only need to get a C in the class and when it transfers it will not affect you GPA. A: Advisors: This is especially important for students entering college without a declared major. Advisors will help you to choose classes that will coincide with the different majors you are considering. R: Rent books online. This will save you a lot of money compared to buying books new or even used from your college. B: Blank slate: I know this one sounds clich? however it is very true. If you did not like who you were in high school now is your chance to start over.

Heather

Take your time. Make the right decision. Follow your dreams. Don't let anything get in the way. Find something you love and are truely passionate about. Live life to the fullest.

Dont we all wish we could go back in time and change a few things. My biggest transition would have to be finishing high school, and attending college right away. But I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason." The advice i would give myself would have to be - Finish school, and prioritize your responsibilities, what is important to me, and seeking what motivates me to be successfull. This would not just be in my college life, but also in life.

As a student who has changed majors three times and transferred after my second year of college, I would tell my past self to be completely open minded to unforseen circumstances. This stage of life is undoubtedly a time for self discovery and understanding, a time to learn what drives you. The person whose opinion matters the very most is your own, especially when making crucial or life altering decisions. Do not be afraid to stumble or fail, as you can only learn about youself or life through the process. You can never really be sure what lies down any particular path until you travel it, so do not give up if at first you do not succeed. Each path that does not suit you only leads you closer to the path that leads to your future and self satisfaction. Once you find where you are truly meant to fit, even the most challenging situations will be worth conquering head on; through learning to stumble and gracefully pick yourself back up, you will learn how to effectively tackle and challenge and come away even stronger.

Amy

I would advise myself not to be pressured into following a career path that was wrong for me. I love interior and fashion design but ended up taking pre-engineering classes at UCCS instead during this fall semester. I soon realized that I am not cut out to be an engineer and decided to follow my dream and persue a career in design. Even though the field of design is highly competitive, I strongly believe that my passion and desire to work in this field will set me apart from others. In order to be successful in the field of design, I am enrolling in The Art Institute of Colorado to complete my BA. I also learned from living on campus at UCCS that many students go to college to party and have fun. I was completely turned off by that whole scene. A college education is very expensive, and I don't believe in wasting my energy and time dealing with others who don't put their education first. While I love being part of campus life in general, I think it is in my best interest to live off-campus so I can focus on my studies.

Josh

Assuming I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to not be fearful of anything. I would inform myself that everything isn't as scary as I had anticipated it would be, and that I should be excited for all of the things I am soon going to learn and the great experiences I'm going to go through. The transition from high school to college is pretty different, but in a good way. It's one of the best experiences I've had in my life, so far.

Nikita

I would simply give myself the advice to just get the work done when it needs to be done. As long as I stay on top of that, school won't be so hard.

Rickard

Listen to your parents when they tell you to study, and to not go out all of the time. Find something that you love to do and work as hard as you possibly can to be the best you possibly can. Life is to short my friend, be who you are and do what you love.

Kathryn

Find a school that is known for the major you want and you should look at colleges that are strickt rules for their students. The dorm life is very injoyable and ever student should have that.

Christopher

The advice I would give to parents and students looking to find the right college for them is to think about what type of student they are such as, their learning styles, how far away they want their school to be from their parents, and even the campus setting. Students and parents should also think about what type of college they would like to attend in terms of traditional or non-traditional colleges. I would suggest to make a list of all the things that best represent what type of college they would like to attend and then look for colleges that best fit this list.

Bridget

Go to the school look around, ask any and every question you have its better to get to much information then not enough. Oh and dont be nervous to ask the students question as well.