The Art Institute of Washington Top Questions

Collin

I became "enlightened" to the career field I want to pursue. I learned how to truly pursue the career path I wanted. I could have learned half of what I was taught out side of school, but it probably would have taken me three times as long to learn it. I made some irreplaceable friends at school, and I would do it all over again if I could.

brandi

i went to college to become a registered nurse. unfortunately i had to stop my education in order to take care of my three children, one of which is disabled. i had to drop out of school, due to doctor appointments and surgeries for my child. i realized that i made it through the course of babys with disabilities for a reason. i have been a great advocate for my daughter. this is why i would like to reattend school so that i can continue to help those in need. i have learned more than i can explain in words on how to properly take care of a child with special needs.

Bethany

Going to college has taught me a lot about myself and the world around me. When I was in high school the world revolved around my friends and the community where I lived, but since attending college I have learned that the world is a big place and there is more to it then I ever thought or dreamed of and I am grateful for the experience. College has also taught me patience and tolerance for those that have different views then I and I have come to respect those opinions that differ from mine. Attending college has also made me think; classes such as psychology, sociology, and literature have pushed my views and opinions and made me consider other ways of thinking and I have learned that the world is not black and white but there are many shades of gray. I have also made friends that I know will be there for life and will take the experiences with me when I graduate.

Justin

My college has given me a chance to achieve my dreams and goals. The staff has done everything possible, from the very beginning, to give me a chance to attend classes. I felt welcomed from the start, and the curriculum is specifically geared toward my goals and major. Classes are small and this is great for me, because I get the one on one attention that I need. From my experience, I have gotten a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment that my life is finally moving in the direction I want it to go.

Laura

I would have told myself to try harder because life is serious and in order to get a job you need an education.

Dominique

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself partially what i already knew, just to solidify my thoughts with what i know now. Things like don't worry about all the friends you think you should have gotten to know or the girl you would be leaving behind. I would tell myself about all the new people I would meet and things I would experience. I also would strongly advise that I apply for more scholarships because they would really come in handy with paying for college. One major thing I also would advise is to not get in that car accident because it would also be more money for school and would most likely lead to a more enjoyable summer. In the end I am happy with what I have done so in my life and am thankful for my friends and family who have always supported me. They have always done what they could to support me and I just want to make them proud.

Whitney

If I had the chance of going back in time and talk to my high school senior self about the transition into college life, I would only ask one question ?When do I get to go!.? See, I made a mistake my first year of college that I wish I could take back. I went away to a four year college about 6 ? hours away from my home where I intended to major in Equine Studies and minor in Business. Unfortunately the distance between my family and I got to me and I became homesick and decided not to return for my sophomore year. What I didn?t expect on happening was after I had made my decision to leave I started loving my school; I made new friends, and became involved in the school. Once I left I ended up at the local community college and working for the family business, which was the one place I swore I would never work. After four years I am still in the same place and unable to finish my Associates Degree. Every day I tell myself if I could go back I would have never left the four year school.

Pablo

If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school, I wouldn't tell myself to do anything differently, other than just to enjoy my time in high school. Just because I was given the chance to ultimately change my future, doesn't mean I should, we are going to take the path designed by ourselves no matter what.

Alyssia

I would advise my high school self to save all of your money even your change. Sell some of your clothes and shoes and anything of value and put that money in the bank. Ask for money to help you buy whatever you need for school in the future. Never say never. Look for PA jobs in Arlington and keep up the beading hobby because it will pay off and continue to do positive things.

Joseph

Although you are going through seriously rough times. Losing your brother, your job, and your hope to restore your family to the united, loving family it once was.; It is still important that you become more concerned about your secondary education. Sure, you have the grades, but it's not all ways about what you know it's about who you know. Social connections, finding more than the usual and basic PLUS loans, and merit awards and small part--time jobs. although it seems near impossible to find time to get more grants, do what you can; beacuse althought you may make the best grades you possibly can in college, it will still not be enough. Schools are losing the sight of the main purpose of college once was; to serve as an institution to futher and better your education, not a business of education. This will become a problem, even with your grades and outstanding work ethic, and like any company you would work for; they will cut people if their profit doesn't meet the quota.

Ranetta

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would have listened to my parents and teachers with regards to what I should have been doing to prepare for college. How I should have prepared, when I should have begun to apply for financial help. No, by me being a teenager and thinking that I knew everything, it has been hard trying to find a job to help my parents with the expenses of a college education. Thus far, I have not been able to lend any support towards my education. My parents are great in trying to pay for my education, but I know it is hard on them also with having another child to send off to college in three years. It would be wonderful if I was able to repay half if not all of my tuition before my brother goes off to college.

LaToya

I would give the advice to take your time and not rush into getting into school. Being in colleges calls for your priorities to be straight. I would warn myself to closely examine the school and make sure its the type of environment I would surround myself in. I would give advice to warn myself to be aware that nothing in life is free and that eventually you will have to contribute to the cost of your secondary education. I would give advice to warn myself that if you plan on living on campus, then you would not be able to have your parents there to look after for you, or do your chores, or wash your clothes, or wake you up on time. I would give advice to myself to recognize that this is where your life truly begins.

Basel

I would say to my self: life is going to change completely, and a big part of you will like this new life, but some things will irritate you, even make you angry. Some situations will affect Religious, moral and political views. At first you will meet people you think are your enemy, and will encounter school policies that you will think are too harsh that will disrupt your studies temporarily. But after a while you?ll need to realize that you need to adapt to the world, and stop making enemies with those that disagree with you. You won?t have to give up your religious and moral values, but you?ll have to adapt to the harsher life, and learn that what you think is insulting is not. People you think are your enemies could become your best friends. Those policies you thought were too harsh; some of them will only make you stronger, and you will praise them while the others you'll learn to live and adapt to. You will find more disappointment in life than success, but those few good qualities will always outweigh the negative, and will only cause you to become stronger.

Sean

I would tell myself to go to The Art Institute of Washing out of High School instead of waiting almost 5 year after high school graduation. I would tell myself not to goof off like i did and get serious about a career in film since i did not know what i wanted to do back then. but other then that i wouldn't change a thing.

I think about that question everyday. I've come a long way since high school, and I owe it to my time and dedication at The Art Institute of Washington, and the only way I could have made that progress was from the pushing and understanding from my family and teachers. I had a fantastic art teacher through my four years of high school, and she prepared me for a lot of what I would expect at most art schools, and AiW never ceases to amaze me with what they are teaching me everyday. If I knew what kind of education I would be getting at a school like this, I would not have taken two years off of high school and gone directly to AiW. I would say, 'ready yourself better to make responsibilities and organization your number one priority, or else everything will just fall apart when you get thrown into the mixing bowl of college'. It will take dedication, committment, and of course passion in order to keep your dreams and goals afloat. If you don't have passion, you don't have energy. If you don't have energy, you have nothing. Keep your passion alive.

Kevin

If I could go back in time as a high school senior to give myself advice about the college life I would advice myself to start saving money and apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible so I will not go through the economical problem I am in at the moment.

Brandon

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would urge myself to be more serious about my education. It is so hard to get good career without one and you only get but so many chances to do what you need to do in order to live the life you want to lead. The longer you wait to buckle down and get focused the harder it is to achieve your goals. I would tell myself that you have to start now before it is too late. I would tell myself how important it is to do good in school and get good grades because you don't want to realize this after most of your oppertunities have already passed you by.

Nan

Instead of worrying about what you should be doing, just prepare for things to change.

Octavia

The advice I would give myself is work like your already where you wanna be in life because thats exactly what college demands of you.

Heather

I would tell myself to hang in there and that I would soon find myself an education, despite it being the college of my dreams or not. I would warn myself it was going to be a rough road after graduation and maybe not quite the path I expected, but nonetheless, pursuing my passion will be the right thing to do. In the meantime, I'd tell myself to enjoy the community college life, my independence , and be thankful for having such a great part-time job after high school because I'll miss it later. Although I know I'd be out of my comfort zone the following year, I would tell myself to keep my head up and follow my dreams because I'll later find that there are more people who believe in me than I thought.

Charles

I would tell myself to focus more and try to concentrate on what was and still is important, my future. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was a senior in high school. Therefore I would explain the value of planning and telling myself to think really hard about what my strengths and weaknesses were. I always say if I had the chance to go back and do it over again I would do a lot differently. I went to community college before attending the Art Institute and in a way found myself. Knowing that, I would still help myself make the decision as to what to do then. I would explain that the transition to college takes independence, attention to detail and a level of responsibility far above that of high school. I love what I do now and cannot wait to get out into the real world.

Abi

stay focused, don't party, and go away for school , not so close to home

Tomi

its time for you to grow up. No more mom and dad or the teachers holding your hand to do things. You are a young adult now and its time for you to start doing things for your future; for your self.

Elyssia

I would tell myself not to rush through high school and enjoy it as much as possible. I would also tell myself to explore my options for college a little bit more rather than just settling on one school without really looking into it. I would tell myself to prepare to be an adult and take care of myself fully, which includes my finances, while i'm in school.

Corey

I would tell myself to be more organized and prepared. Also, I would make a plan for my life after college. I would advise myself to put this plan in writing so that I can revise it during my college career. I would advise to complete assignments long before they are do as a way of securing time to cultivate my skills in my field of study. If possible , always buy used books. College is a way of life and so, I would suggest learning my way around the campus before I begin attending and acquiring superior time management skills because life as a student becomes daunting at times. This can be prevented by having more than acceptional time management skills. Lastly, I would reccommend unplugging the television and radio u ntil semester's end. Needless to say, this last one is a personal bias I have because focus is most important at all costs.

I would tell myself to not slack off in the general classes like math, english, etc. Due to the lower grades I got in those classes is why I didn't get into a lot of the colleges I applied to.

Applying to college can be a tough and stressful situation. It's easy to worry about school, getting into classes, roommate situations, etc. Don't worry if your college experience isn't how television or the movies say it is -- everyone's college experience is different, depending on who you are. If you aren't comfortable at the school you chose, there is no shame in withdrawing and trying another school. Sometimes the first choice isn't really a good fit! Enjoy yourself at school and try not to load yourself down with the hardest classes right away. Make friends, be social, and have fun! College should be a great experience, but it will only be so if you work toward that goal. And remember, college is ultimately about learning. Don't take the easy way out... take classes that will challenge you and help you grow. If you do so, your college experience will be fun, interesting, and incredibly rewarding.

Bridget

While it is easy to be accepted into this college, the student must be positive that this is where they want to be. Most of our classes lead to our portfolio show, where we invite all of our prospective employers. Switching majors is difficult and limited, and transfering schools is even harder. If the student isn't sure what they want to do, I recommend playing with community college courses before they decide to invest in a private school education.

Daniela

When searching for the right college, factors such as affordability, location and competition play major roles. Once the right college has been selected, making the most of the experience is key. The financial situation of the prospective student and his family determines whether or not he can attend that school comfortably, without being left a load of debt after graduating. The location of the school must be taken into consideration because of the large difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition and for personal opinion of the prospective student. And lastly, the level of competition in the field of interest of the student determines which school is best. If the school is reputable, provides internships within the school program, and guarantees a secure position in the field of interest upon graduation, as does the Art Institute of Washington, then it is most likely the best choice. Next, to make the best of this experience, one must balance! Balancing schoolwork, family, commute, internship and social life will guarantee an enjoyable and well-rounded college experience. Factors such as these should be taken into great consideration when making such a life-altering decision that can only move you forward.

Jefferson

I think instead of starting junior year with everything, it should be done much earlier. Most of the time people just end up going to community college not because of their grades but because of time frames and lack of information. I think that parents and students must do their part to research things well and think about options for the future as early as possible so narrowing it down junior and senior year isn't both a struggle or that time consuming. Junior year as it is, no matter where you go, involves a lot of work from students. So overall, tackle what FAFSA is all about before it comes time to do it, register and take the SAT's early, and figure out what you really want to do after those four years of high school because they go by really quickly.