The Boston Conservatory Top Questions

Michaela

My advice to myself would simply be to "be in the moment" as I experienced things in high school while doing the research needed to make an educated decision about the collegiate path I would take. Although I believe I accomplished the first part of that statement, it was extremely hard to imagine what college life would be like. If I had had the time and energy I might have interviewed prospective professors and students at the various places I was looking. But as I write that, I don't even think I could have done that with much success because the fact of the matter is that the transition from high school to college is huge and I don't recognize myself with all the changes I experienced. The process is something one must experience because I did not want to be that high school student for the rest of my life. So I believe that is the best advice...be open for all the changes that will inevitably take place and embrace them, these changes will be your foundation to build on for the rest of your life.

Cynthia

College is one of the most invaluable experiences one can undergo. We all think about the party life and friends we make along our journey through the rites of passage, but it is so much more. Responsibility is the one thing that can't be taught, it must be learned. A lot of kids grow up quickly learning this principle, maturing and grooming themselves for the bustling life ahead. Time management is definitely key to being a successful college student; juggling friends, hitting the books, work, keeping off the "Freshman 15" is like watching someone juggle chainsaws: painful to watch and the person must be cautious or something will get cut out of the schedule. Finances tend to dissipate in the wind, particularly on weekends. Kids work, attend classes to get financial aid, and also get a little "insurance" from the parents and STILL wind up coming short halfway through the month. All of these lessons come to mind everyday, especially a few that I had to learn the hard way. I realize that college is the most breathtaking experience one could ask for whilst developing themselves in the early stages of life.

Everyone thinks of senior year as the best year of their life - being the oldest in the school, applying to colleges, attending the Prom; the whole works. My senior year was painfully the opposite of "the best". Coming from an unemployed father, a drug-addicted brother, and not many friends, college gradually began feeling nothing more than a dream to me. Fortunately; however, things were looking up as I was admitted and enrolled into one of the greatest schools in my eyes: University of New Hampshire. College is everything I hoped (and needed) it to be. Here, I have made a great deal of new friends and interacted with some of the most influential and wonderfully eccentric professors. I absolutely needed a far away place to cleanse my life of worries and begin fresh; although it has only been five months, it is a perfect start. I have improved my communication skills and focused on becoming completely independent. As a high school English teaching major, I aim to be a successful mentor one day, helping students that are not much younger than I am today achieve their dreams. I hope I have UNH to thank for that.

Jonathon

Attending The Boston Conservatory has made me challenge myself and grow as a young professioal in the arts. It has broadened my musical experiences and given me opportunities I would not have had access to at home. Living away from home has also made me mature indidvidually. Balancing time and finances on my own has been one of the greatest lessons I learned this semester. Mom can't do your laundry or cook you dinner when she is 16 hours away. I have also been involved in a Orthodox Christian Fellowxhip group which helps keep me connected to my faith. The group allows me to participate in outreach programs and also sponors outings for relaxation and entertainment. All in all, my first semester has been invaluable because I have been able to grow in my academics and as a person.

As one of the best performing arts colleges in the United States, The Boston Conservatory is teaching me the fundamentals of the entertainment industry and is preparing me for a successful career as a musical theatre major. Because the school is small and centralizes students with a common interest in the performing arts, I have made friends that will continue to support me throughout my time at the school and in the industry. The education I am receiving is invaluable for my career as a performer. The resources and faculty at The Boston Conservatory are very experienced and are always encouraging me to reach my full potential. I could not be more grateful for the overwhelming support of the school and its assistance in making my dreams come true.

Camille

I am a returning student; I took four years off before returning to get my associate?s degree in graphic design. My college career while getting my bachelors was exciting and fun while I have rethought this new experience I am having as necessary. Although I am having fun, it is necessary to do well and graduate knowing I have attained the skills that will prove useful when I attempt to create a design shop of my own. So what I have gotten out of my time at school is the work ethic to excel in my field and the knowledge that what I do now will be reflected in how well I do later. Right now, it is all valuable!

katharine

I have been extremely fortunate in my college experience thus far. I am majoring in vocal performance, and I have had the opportunity to perform in many venues, and study with people highly regarded in the music world. My education is worth every penny, I have been given so many opportunities to be my personal best, and grow as an Artist. Small intimate class setting mixed with rigorous course loads have kept me motivated an on track to completing my degree. I am well on my way to achieving my dreams thanks to my experiences.

Lissa

I am only eighteen years old, but I feel wise beyond my years these days. If I could go back in time and change anything about my senior year and the transition to college that would follow, I would start by telling myself, "Lissa, get yourself organized and stop procrastinating." The success of my college life today, would have had a jump-start if good habits had already been established while still in high school. It would have been smart to start early and fill out all of my eleven college applications during the summer prior to my senior year! I could have (and should have) felt empowered to have all of my essays behind me. "Lissa, the year will be more enjoyable if everything gets completed by the beginning of senior year. Why prolong the stress?" I would say. Bad habits are hard to break but good habits can truly change your life. Everything in college requires balance and some degree of organization. Reading assignments, papers, dance rehearsals, meal planning, and laundry, all need to be worked into an average college day. I am still evolving. I am an enlightened version of myself these days, eighteen and wise.

Assuming I could go back in time as a high school senior knowing what I know now I would have chosen more Honors courses. I had a rigorous college prep schedule in high school but I wish I would have taken Honors English. At th Boston Conservatory the Liberal Arts class I am taking requires alot of reading and writng. The papers I have had to read in old english have been challenging. Once you get to college, keep an open mind. Be prepared to accept negative criticism gracefully.

If I were to go back in time and help myself get through college life and making the transition, the most important advice I could give to myself would be about the social aspect. I, like all other entering freshmen, worried myself sick over trying to make friends and fitting in during the first semester. I worried that I would be the loser of the class if I did not attend every single gathering or party and introduce myself to every single person at the school. I was so nervous all the time worrying if people would like me or not that I did not act as myself, hoping that people would like a ?cool guy?. Looking back after first semester, I realize that people started becoming friends with me and I found my real close friends when I stopped worrying about ?fitting in? and just acted as myself. Cliche as it may be, I was only able to make friends and ?fit in? when I wasn?t worrying about it. If I were to give myself advice from the future, it would have been to be myself because everyone is in the same boat first semester.

Ellen

Knowing what I know now about college life, I would tell myself to relax because I remember being so stressed out about applying to schools and feeling un talented if I did not get accepted into my top choice school. Now that I am a junior in college, everything is starting to work out, and although I am almost done with school and will then be sent out into the real world, I wish I had known things would mellow out like this when I was a senior in high school. Another thing I would tell myself would be to apply for any scholarship that I could in high school because my school is $50,000 a year now, and I have no financial aid or scholarship. I would say, "Help your mom out!" I would tell not only myself but anyone else who asked me about going out of state to absolutely do it! I am on my own now, and I already feel confident enough to try and make it in the real world. Finally I would tell myself not to take myself so seriously, and know that I will learn so much in the next four years.

I attend the Boston Conservatory as a dance major and dance for 4-6 hours a day. So, I would tell myself to enjoy the weekends more and enjoy the down time you have. I am constently working through the weekends, having rehearsals, and getting ready for any upcoming shows. In high school I had much more free time and took advantage of it, in college I very rarely have any free time. I would also tell my self to work on finacial management. It is so easy when your on your own to spend money and it goes quickly. College life has been amazing and not to much different for me other than I am a lot busier than I ever was in high school. Being on your own shows you how hard it is to not have your parents looking out for you. Making your own choices effects you in ways you never thought possible.

If I was to go back in time as a high school student, the advice I would give is to make sure you pick a school that is best suited for my individuality. Pick a school where I would be able to focus on studies that would lead to a career path that I would want. I would also visit the school to make sure it seems comfortable to your living style, focusing on the school itself and the environment surrounding the campus.

Molly stop worrying. You worry about everything you do, your teachers notice it in you, they tell you to stop over thinking and to just relax, to take one day at a time. Even if people make fun of you for needing extra time, or a tutor to complete your work, than get what you need to be successful. Put your your trust and faith in God. He is always there for you no matter what situation you are faceing, he wants to help, he wants to be your sholder to cry on. I would also tell myself that no matter how many bumps I hit in the road, I'm still on the road to success, and, NEVER GIVE UP.