Ewing, NJ
The College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Kelly

In my opinion, The College of New Jersey is best known for its tightly knit campus community. TCNJ takes great pride in its high academic standing so it is best known for its small classes and its enthusiastic professors. TCNJ and Rutgers University often get compared because they are major state universities of New Jersey, however the two are not comparable when it comes to the dedication of professors. TCNJ classes never exceed thirty students, by the end of the semester the professor knows everyone?s name and are very helpful. Strong bonds are formed between professors and other students.

If I could go into college knowing what I have learned after a semester as a freshman I would be a very lucky person. I would tell my self that while first impressions are important if you spend too much time worrying about how you come across to other people you'll miss out on the great friends you can make by just being your self. Going to and living at college is like joining a new family that you have to form by yourself, so it is up to you to be outgoing and to hang out with the kind of people who appreciate and care for you. Without friends, college wouldn't even be an experience. You need people to support you and help you get through your transition into being on your own, and the only way to do it is to open yourself up to new experiences. While college is a chance to start anew, it does not mean that you have to change yourself completely. With a little experimentation you can find the right balance between the two. Balance is the key to a successful college life.

If you are interested in attending TCNJ you should benefit from a small classroom experience. It is not a big school and there is only one free bus that runs on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays that takes students to the nearby mall, restaurants, movies, and stores. Students are allowed to bring their cars on campus for two weeks per semester as a freshman and permanently as a sophomore and there a plenty of things to do around Ewing. All though its more focused on acadmecis rather than sports and parties, there is still no shortage of events to keep busy.

Danielle

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior knowing what I now know about college life and making the transition, is to dream big and forge lasting relationships with teachers, students, and students outside of the dorm and my comfort zone. It is important to form bonds with the exceptional professors provided, building a network of support that gives one inspiration and the thirst to dream big and accomplish your goals. It is important to make friends with students who will help you along your path and give you memories and experiences that only college can bring. Most of all it is vital that college is a place where higher thinking can transpire, participating in new activities as well as using the opportunities available to further development in an interest already realized. My advice is to be aware that as an individual and a community, great tasks can be accomplished. One should not settle for being mundane or ordinary, but strive to be extraordinary. College is a time to take charge of ones personal potential and recognize the need for hard work and passion to reach that potential.

The best thing about The College of New Jersey is the sense of community within the school that connects the students, workers, professors, and administration. Because of the unique size of The College of New Jersey, bonds can be formed between everyone and anyone which prompts positive academic encouragement as well as friendships and a feeling of safety and support. Professors become mentors as they make themselves available to students outside of class in order to build respectful and guiding relationships and students are able to make lifelong friends in this strong community oriented environment.

The most frustrating quality about The College of New Jersey is its ability to become a small campus bubble if one lets it. Though transportation such as busses and trains are easily available to students to travel Philadelphia, New York, or anywhere else one might want or need to go, the community feeling can become confined in day to day life because one can become self sufficient within campus, not having the need to travel elsewhere.

Lindsay

TCNJ is an excellent liberal arts college that benefits from convenient location, an intelligent student body, a gorgeous campus, and an inviting and enticing atmosphere.

Were I given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, my speech would be something to this effect: "First of all, relax. There are things you should stress over and things that aren?t within your power to change; know the difference, and don?t sweat the small things. Right now, you've already sent out applications, and you?ll hear back soon, this is when you have to start searching for scholarships; getting accepted to college is not the difficult part, it is paying for it. This summer will be a busy one with all the preparation and packing, enjoy it. Once you get to college, there will be a big transition, but I promise you will love it. The first week or so, you might want to call home every night, don?t. Go and meet people instead. The best things you can do are: smile, be friendly, and be open to new experiences. You?ll meet all sorts of people and form intense relationships with them. You?ll realize once you return home for Thanksgiving how much you?ve grown, and how much you miss your college family.

Matthew

In 2010, among only forty-nine other schools,The College of New Jersey was awarded the honor of being included in The Princeton Review's list of "Best Valued" public colleges.

The curriculum at The College of New Jersey afforded me the oppurtunity to work with elementary school students prior to student teaching. As a recent graduate from Mercer County Community College, with an Associate Degree in Applied Science in Physical Therapist Assistant in 2009, I was able to start observing and working with first grade students in the upcoming and fast approaching fall semester. This rare experience provided substantial and invaluable insight in which I was able to determine that my passion of elementary education was as alive as ever.

A seed from a brawny oak tree quietly descends through the air until it gently strokes the moist warm earth arriving at its final destination. So small and precious this one seed has so much untapped potential just as I had in high school. Even though I graduated in the top twenty percent of my high school class in 2007, I left feeling that I had settled and never truly pushed myself to the best of my abilities. I had never taken an advanced placement course and now wondered if that was a mistake. Would have I excelled? Would more rigorous courses have helped to build my confidence and thus become more involved in clubs, sports, and other activities the school offered? My advice would be to break out of the shell that I had created for myself...an unnecessary barrier. As I enter the spring semester I plan to join a student club called DREAMS in which I will be afforded the opportunity to tutor underprivileged children in nearby Trenton, New Jersey. The DREAMS club will allow me to inspire elementary school children to meet their full potential...even when they themselves may not recognize it exists.

Andrea

If I could give my high school senior-self any advice about the transition to college, I would be sure to emphasize the necessity to get out there, and be involved on campus. One of my hardest transitions was not knowing any of my classmates, and feeling like I didn't make friends right away. If I had just been more involved - gone to programs, attended concerts, or joined a group - I think I would have enjoyed my first year a lot more than I did. I realize now how important it is to just get out there, even if you think the event isn't quite your style. You never know who you'll meet, what connections you'll make, and the resources you could build by just broadening your horizons around campus.

This is a student-oriented college. Professors, staff, and administrators are always willing to help you out, or go above and beyond to seek the results you're looking for. Your success is their top priority, and they will work with you to get the best possible options and outcome from your education and experience on campus.

You should be dedicated if you are interested in attending TCNJ. You can't just skate by in your classes, and most everyone is involved in at least one club or job on campus. A driven individual would do best at this school, and would reap the most benefits from all that the campus has to offer (classes, clubs, organizations, etc).

Krystle

I would not have made such a huge deal about going to community college. It saved a lot of money and gave me time to decide what I wanted to pursue. I would tell myself to not get my hopes on going to a 4-year school right away, to not be so pushy about going to pick out classes and getting my hopes up in the end. Having an associate's degree from a community college also makes the transferring process a lot easier. I also would tell myself to embrace community college more; try to make friends instead of just going through the motions. These are the years to make lasting relationships, not after it's all over. These three years have gone by much more quickly than I could of ever imagined and without memories, a degree is just a degree.

Kimberly

The one thing that strikes me about the transition into college life is that it is only as hard as you want it to be. Just relax and see what life is going to be like. D o not worry, everyone is nervous, but everyone is going through the same thing. The one thing you should not do is try to keep the exact same life you have had. That is how you will become depressed and lost, trying to to find a life that does not exist in college. Embrace life, of course still be yourself and stand by your decisions, but keep and open mind and let yourself adapt. As long as you are willing to accept a new life it is not as drastic of a change. Just let life happen for a little while and be yourself, do not worry about anything, everything will work out somehow.

Although all the students I have encountered are extremely accepting of diversity and a diverse environment, the environment of the school is not very diverse. I grew up in an extremely diverse environment so this is quite a change for me and I miss the diversity. I do wish had known this before I arrived at the school, but it would not have changed where I decided to go.

The most frustrating thing about TCNJ is that they do not always take student opinions into consideration before acting. Mainly in their choices of where to spend money and make improvements. Many of the spending seems frivilous when other more important things are noticed. For example some of the dorms are in desperate need of repair, but instead the school is remodeling the cafeterias and installing public art that costs far too much money and does not fit the campus atmosphere.

David

Getting settled in college has been a real challenge for me. It was a really stressful process. Among all the things I learned in college, the most important is decision making. During my first semester in college, I learned to be responsible and more mature; I learned to take my own decisions. Most importantly, I managed so far to make the right decisions. Whether it?s as simple as to wake up and go to class, to take the time to exercise and eat healthy, to be active and social, to avoid drugs and alcohol, to make the right friends or even to manage time for studding and doing school work, one has to be able to decide by its own what is best for him and others. When parents are not by our sides to guide us in every step just like before, it?s a necessary skill that every college student should develop. It will help in college if earlier people took the time to start taking care of themselves and making their own decisions, if people started to act as responsible adults. After all this is how everyone is treated as in college.

TCNJ students are straight-edge and friendly, and will go out of their way to help friends, strangers, and enemies alike.

The transition into college life is also the transition into adulthood, which brings unique personal challenges that no one is immune from. I would advise my high school self to treasure the friends who will aid her in difficult times, and to always remember to give back the same love and support in return. College is a time to be selfish as she focuses on her personal and intellectual growth, but it is also a time to build communities and forge friendships that will last a lifetime. More often than not, the emotional workload of college life far exceeds the academic workload. I would tell her to study hard, while still remembering to look up from the books at the new world around her from time to time, which is full of future friends who are eager to lend a hand. Those connections will form the foundation of who she will become.

The dormitories are in need of massive renovation, and the school often considers its image before it considers the true needs of its residents.

Elisabeth

TCNJ is best known for it's education department. It's also know for the amazing library and the beautiful campus.

Don't be shy; try to meet as many people in the beginning as you can. Once people form their groups it's a lot harder to make new friends, but in the beginning it's much easier. Savor freshman year because there will never be anything like it again. It's very unique from the rest of college. As the work gets harder and real life sets in you will never fell the same freedom and carefreeness again. Most of all relax because college is the best four years of your life and no matter where you end up you will like it if you keep an open mind!

I brag most about the beautiful campus and small class sizes.

The College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.