Ewing, NJ
The College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

The average TCNJ student is a true leader; we tend to be happy, goal-oriented, passionate, driven, highly-motivated, charasmatic, helpful, and focused on our academics and career prospects.

Remember that the process of finding the “right-fit” college is about you. Remember that in college you will get to explore, see what you’re good at, and what you like to do. Remember that these years will be hard, but that you will learn more than you could ever imagine. Remember to never give up. Remember that you will be the best teacher you can be regardless of what school you attend; you were meant to do this. Remember to not let anyone else’s opinions of you get in your way. Remember to stand up for what you believe in. Remember to smile, to laugh, and to focus on the good. Remember that one mistake, does not make you an unworthy person. Remember that the relationships you develop are priceless. Remember to call home! Remember to make your new campus home and to leave it better than you have found it. Remember to make a difference in someone’s life every day. Remember to be yourself. Remember to be thankful. Remember that you have a lot of things to remember every day; when one of these things slips your mind, remember to let yourself off the hook!

The most frustrating thing about our school would have to be the food opportunities; we have one main cafeteria that is difficult to eat in during the rush hour food times of the day and the quality of the food is also very low. The food is easily the thing on campus that is most complained about.

Jasmn

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I would have allot of advice to give myself. First and foremost I would tell my self how to study more efficiently. As a college student it is very important to have a good study habit, because as student we have heavy work loads and it is easy to lose focus and not study correctly. With all the terminology you have memorize in college there is no other way but to create an efficient study plan and stay focused in your classes.

Ashka

My classmates, while competitive, are extremely helpful and encouraging, always ready to offer advice and support.

Dear younger self, Welcome to college. This is where you will have "cooler" experiences than those you have been craving, where you will meet amazing people and wonder how you ever lived without having met them earlier, and where you will discover more about yourself than you ever thought there even was to yourself. You are going to come across types of people you have never imagined before. Some people will show you different ways of thinking. Some people will inspire you to dream more and dream bigger. Some people will leave you with a bitter feeling. You have something to learn from each and every single one of these people, and you should listen to them-their beliefs, their stories, and their advice. You do not have to agree with them but do be grateful to them for taking time out to spend with you. Allow them to shape you for the better. So, stay shy, but be openminded. Stay confident, but allow new ideals to take root. Remember the home you have left behind, but open your mind to a new lifestyle and your heart to new friends. Above all, discover yourself and accept yourself. Best, Older Self

The best thing about The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) is the diversity of the population. There is so much to learn from everyone since they all come from different lifestyles, cultures, and areas. Additionally, diversity encourages open-mindedness. One always feels accepted at TCNJ and can easily find their niche, while still feeling comfortable around anyone on campus.

Krishna

If I go back to advise my high school senior self about college life, I would say to be focused and study at least two weeks before a major exam because studying the day before will just make you a nervous train wreck! I wish I organized and planned my days ahead of time because I had missed out on a lot of cool events because I had to study. It is definitely possible to have a social life and to do great academically; you just have to be organized and focused. Also, be more open to things you never encountered; because if you don't, you will miss out on your college experience. College is about doing things you've never done back in high school and it's an opportunity to find out who you really are. Always remember, change for the better; not for worse!

Before coming to The College of New Jersey, I wish I knew being part of organizations as a freshman is very common. I did't really take initiative to be more involved from the beginning and it was harder to be involved my second year since my classes were difficult. I also wish I knew that the college was not going to provide more academic scholarships in the latter years.

I feel that this school welcomes many people but fails to accomodate those who wish to pursue majors that are not common. TCNJ is a small school and doesn't have many majors to choose from. Majors such as chemical engineering, genetics, zoology, and agriculture do not exist and it is difficult to self-design these majors when there aren't enough classes that can support the academic study.

Steven

It is often that I wonder what would have become of me if I were a little wiser when I was younger. There are not many things that I regret doing before college but I do believe that I could have spent my time more wisely. With the death of my mother still an open wound at the time, I would start off by telling myself that "everything is going to work out. But it will not be without a great deal of sacrifice and hard work. Although, I know that this is the last thing on your mind at the moment, it will all pay off in the long run. Pay attention to what your teachers are telling you, they actually know what they are talking about. Read more and do your homework already! I know that it is hard to believe that the pain will go away, but it will. And you WILL succeed. I promise. You are better than what you give yourself credit for. Just push yourself a little bit harder everyday and you will be on the road to happiness and success. Oh yeah, and start checking out scholarships... school is super expensive."

There are not many things that I could say that are bad about my school. It is all what I put into the time that I have been given. However, not apart from the majority of schools out there today, the only thing that I could say is that my school is expensive. For a man who has lived on his own for the past decade and has worked and supported himself throughout the first few years of college, it is troublesome to believe that my debt will far exceed the years of hard work that I will put in.

As a student of several years now it is easy to say that the best kind of student is the kind that is respectful to their teacher and to the other students in the class. Therefore, any student who does not attend college in order to participate at their highest level and put in the effort with respect to those around them should not be attending class at all. Only those who wish to learn, and truly take something away from school, should be there.

Susan

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to be so nervous to live away and attend college, that when you get there you will be embraced with open arms by a new community with supportive Professors and be introduced to life-long friends. It took me a while to get my footing and become outspoken, but once I did and began speaking out regarding my major of Nursing, it was a passion that could not be silenced. I have a passion for helping and advocating for others. In school I am now Executive Board Treasurer of TCNJ’s Student Nurses Association. At the State-level I am currently the elected Membership/Nominations Director on the Executive Board of our New Jersey State Nursing Students Association (NJNS), the NJ state branch of National Student Nurses Association (NSNA). As of February I was elected to the position of NJ State President. Also, I would share that when you find a passion, learning is fun! Academically I am at the top of my class, in the Delta Nu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International and a member of TCNJ’s Golden Key International Honors Society.

The supportive faculty, available resources, embracement of diversity in the campus community!

I love my school, but they could decrease the price of food on campus. It is too expensive for me to afford to eat on campus.

Ben

I feel the best thing about my school is that it is small. Some people would want a big campus but having a small one has many benefits: closer knit community, less distance between classes, more impact on the community as a whole. It only takes a about 10min to get across the whole campus and if you have a bike it's even less with a bike rack at every building. Most of my time spent on campus is either in my dorm, eickhoff (cafeteria), in the library, or in class. I am in Wolfe Hall and the rooms are a nice size and even have a sink in it! (Super convenient) If you need to focus and get work done the library is the place to go, everyone is really respectful to keeping while people are working. (All floors are fairly quiet but floors 3 and 4 are specifically quiet floors) There is about a 20min walking radius around the school that is just suburban housing before you hit a main road. The closest thing to walk to is a dunkin donuts about 18min walk down the road. However, the school is in the process of building a "campus town" right on the school's property which will have a new bookstore, shops, and more apartments for upperclassmen. In the mean time, it is possible to walk or bike to the shops a far bit away or if you know upperclassman that have cars (freshman can't have cars on campus) then you can get a ride to places. The best thing I could suggest would be to join a fraternity or sorority because it is a great way to become involved on campus more and make a group of friends that stay with you your whole 4 years. Or sports teams are also a good way to get involved, stay active, have fun, and make a lasting group of friends.

If your looking for a school were you can get involved, look no further. At TCNJ we have a plethora of clubs, greek life, and organizations to get involved in that you'll stay constantly busy. Greek life on campus is a big one and you make a lot of good friends and connections that will stay with you for a life time. It's also a good way to make upperclassman friends that will drive you places :) Everyone in the dorms are friendly and usually keeps their doors open especially when it's hot out so you can just shout down the hallway to talk to your friend or walk right in to chat with friends. You will get to know most if not all the 40 people on your floor and the possibility to make good friends for your whole time in college is high. Usually people don't go to bed until at least 2 so everyone hangs out in various people's rooms. The Party scene is pretty good but there limited to people's basements in the houses around the campus. (No bars or clubs very close by that I know of if your 21) Here at TCNJ parties are Friday, Saturday, and surprisingly Tuesday nights (most people don't have class on Wednesday). Tuesdays and Saturdays are movie nights in the Student Center that CUB (College Union Board) puts on. And on weekends a lot of people can take the loop bus or regular bus to get to the Mall or movie theater.

I don't know if there is really a stereotype but most people have never even heard of The College of New Jersey. It's sort of off the beaten path so to speak but a great school non the less.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

In State. Less expensive. Smaller campus (not too small), nice campus and suburban area, and great credentials and art program plus new art building.

Students here are wide and varied but everyone is serious about their work. Party scene is on Friday, Saturday, and oddly enough Tuesday nights. (Most people don't have class on Wednesday) There are organizations on campus for religious people, we even have a Secular Student Alliance for students with no religious affiliations! About 95% of the student body is from New Jersey so it is rare when there are out of staters. Politics aren't a big deal on campus, but we do have clubs for those as well if your interested. Clubs galore for almost anything you can think of if you are looking to get involved, I personally am on the Bowling Club which is a great group of friends that bowl Sunday afternoons and during the winter season travel to tournaments. Overall the student body is very nice and I haven't met a mean person the whole year.

Classes are small enough that the professor will know your name. People in class are very anti-social and I found that I won’t be able to make friends in class that easily and those people you’re only with for a semester for a few hours a week class. My favorite classes tend to be interactive studios where I get to work in class on assignments, the teacher is there if you need help, and it isn’t just one long lecture. I am currently a graphic design major but plan on switching into either Digital Arts or IMM (Interactive Multimedia) and definitely plan on having some type of minor to get the most education in whatever field of study I choose. Some classes the teacher just talks the whole time, others you will work the entire time, and some are half and half. I’ve been having critiques and studio time in my 4 hour art classes. (4 hours sounds like a lot but it’s only once a week and you get really immersed in what you are working on for a solid amount of time) My professors are easy to access outside of class hours and have set office hours when you can meet with them. They are always ready to help aid you in whatever you are working on. The library is the main place to get work done if you are too distracted in your dorm room. Lots of tables, big study rooms for groups, plenty of lighting, and quiet to get work done. There is even a library cafe downstairs where you can get a wide variety of hot and cold drinks and pastries. The work is a build up into whatever major you are working in and you get to be in classes that are your major to begin with starting freshman year instead of just taking general education courses first. General education courses are called liberal learning and are worked in throughout your years here at TCNJ.

Small beautiful campus but not in a very nice city.

Small beautiful campus but not in a very nice city.

THey are good students, but many think they are smarter than they actually are.

Dear Nicole, I know you are getting a little nervous about going off to college, so here are a few things you should know to help you get the most out of your experience. First, do not worry about talking to your boyfriend every night. Spend time making friends with the people who will be in your life for the next 4 years. If the relationship is strong enough, it will survive even without constant contact. Second, get involved! I know a lot of clubs may seem corny, but it is a great way to meet people (and a way to network with people who can potentially help you find a job later). Third, do not be shy about your political beliefs. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with you, especially your professors, but their opinions are no better or worse than yours, so do not be intimidated. Fourth, you do not need to drink to make friends. I know it seems the only way to socialize with “normal” people is to get embarrassingly drunk, but this is not the case. Real friends are made sober. Lastly, have fun, these next 4 years will be great!

Tim

TCNJ started as a teaching institution and that is still what it's mostly known for. Biology and business are also well-known programs.

I applied to TCNJ early decision. When I visited, I fell in love with the beautiful campus, the proximity to home, and the price tag. Knowing what I know now, I would likely tell my high school self to consider some other schools more strongly. The main problem with TCNJ is the lack of nightlife or even daytime activities. While I love the size of the TCNJ campus, I think I would've liked to go to a school that was more athletically oriented. All in all, I don't regret my choice in coming here but I would've liked to consider some other schools before I committed to coming here.

We always have great comedy shows and concerts with well-known performers.

I would tell myself to do more research on my potential major and talk to the school to learn more about the department. I would definately make sure I visit the school and participate in overnights so I can see exactly what the school is about and sit in on a few classes. I would map out the location of the school to see what is around, how I would be getting around. I would look at the student teacher ratio to make sure that the classroom sizes are reasonable. I would look at the student life to see how social the campus is. I would also look into the retention as well as the graduation rate of the school. I would finally look to see what percentage of the graduates get into their field after graduating.

I wish I did more research on my major department.

Our school is known to be ranked as one of the best schools in the nation although we are a public non ivy league. We are often called "the public princeton." I brag about how difficult the school is compared to others. I brag that we are a small school and have small class sizes. I brag about how inexpensive the school is for the quality we are getting. I also brag about how beautiful our campus is. We have a wonderful library also.

The College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.