The College of New Jersey

« See more reviews of The College of New Jersey

The most frustrating thing about TCNJ is that it is somewhat competitive amongst students within the college. Being that the majority of students are very goal-oriented and have their eyes locked onto future goals, there aren't always opportunities for everyone. While there are a lot of research opportunities (labs, internships, etc), it is still competitive amongst all potential applicants. It does however, present students with a parallel to the job market. While we might want every available chance to get ahead, that isn't always going to happen. Therefore, it proves to be a valuable life lesson.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that they base scholarships and certain class placements too heaviily on the SATS. The SATS aren't everything and I would be proof to that. I did excellent in high school and worked extremely hard yet lacked amazing SAT scores and for that was awarded nothing for my hard efforts, not even for being top ten of my class. Not everyone are good test takers or had the equal opportunity to prepare for the SATS. It is sometimes an unfair test, in my eyes at least.

The most frustrating thing about TCNJ is that as a freshman it can be very difficult to get off of the campus. Freshman are not allowed to have cars and there is nothing within walking distance of the campus. The school does provide a bus service but it does not run very frequently and it does not go to very many places. It takes a lot of planning to organize a trip to Philadelphia or New York. There are so many things that I would love to see in these cities but it is very hard to get there.

The most frustrating thing about TCNJ is that they do not always take student opinions into consideration before acting. Mainly in their choices of where to spend money and make improvements. Many of the spending seems frivilous when other more important things are noticed. For example some of the dorms are in desperate need of repair, but instead the school is remodeling the cafeterias and installing public art that costs far too much money and does not fit the campus atmosphere.

Academic advisors can be frustratingly unhelpful, if you want to figure out what classes you need to take, which ones you need to do well in, what major/minor is best for you, etc. its in your own hands and you can't really expect a lot of guidance from the school. You can learn a lot from the college website but no one is holding your hand, it's your life. Also, social life can be minimal unless you join a sports team or a greek organization, which I would highly recommend.

The most frustrating quality about The College of New Jersey is its ability to become a small campus bubble if one lets it. Though transportation such as busses and trains are easily available to students to travel Philadelphia, New York, or anywhere else one might want or need to go, the community feeling can become confined in day to day life because one can become self sufficient within campus, not having the need to travel elsewhere.

The most frustrating thing about The College Of New Jersey is the number of students that go to the library. Many student love to go to the library to study or do research because there are private study rooms, a cafe, and many floors with computers and books to assist with research. But the college has fixed this problem by opening different computer labs all over campus to all students.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the financial aid office. I feel like they are the most hesitant office to be helpful towards student concerns, while they should be one of the most student-friendly offices. Financial aid is too important of an area of student concern for their to be poor relations between staff and students.

I guess the most frustrating part about going to a relatively small school in Central Jersey is that food is really hit or miss. Eickhoff Hall is really convenient to get to (as the campus is a 10 minute walk across) but the food there kind of spoils appetites. Luckily, there's a Five Guys about a mile down the road.

The most frustrating thing about TCNJ was on-campus jobs. We were only allowed to work 15 hours, and often times student work hours were limited in their hours because offices didn't want more than 2 student workers at a time. Many students don't have cars, so working on campus was the only chance to earn money.