The College of New Rochelle Top Questions

Irma

I would have told myself to be more steadfast in telling my parents I wanted to go to cosmetology school instead of agreeing to go to secretarial school as they wanted. Their intentions were good in that they believed obtaining skills to work in business would have provided many job opportunities. Who knew how things would have changed over the decades. I would have said: “Hey, Irma, you are more creative, and working in an office is going to slowly suck the life out of you! Stop focusing on pleasing everyone all the time, because you can’t. In the end, if you don’t feed your soul and feel satisfied and fulfilled, you will ultimately spend your life frustrated, angry, resentful and unfulfilled in working at jobs that you will not enjoy. Although you don’t believe it right now, life is short. You will waste many years searching to fill a void. The economy will change. Technology will change, and the job market will become very complex and specialized. Do what you love, and everything else should fall into place.”

Dilruba

Learn the basics of college. Like a major and rewuirements.

Viveca

My college experience has provided me with a renewed sense of self worth and purpose. Many years have passed by with me sitting in a mental state of being just enough. Higher education has taken me to greater heights mentally and emotionally. When I speak, not only am I experientially versed but now, I am also academically educated. There is no value that can be placed on sitting in a classroom amongst your peers and reintroducing yourself to the wonders of learning and education. Being the head of a family is not easy but when you set examples such as attending school (even as a senior), this speaks tons for you at times when you are at a loss for words. This experience has been a benefit to me and my family and has changed all of us in different ways for the better. By earning my degree, I will be the second member of my family to achieve such a prestigious acquistion. Everything about this experience for me has proven to be spiritually ordained and I will do everything in my power to pursue this course to the end.

glendalee

College has provided a foundation for my personal and professional goals. I learned to form strong bonds with people from college who shared similar professional goals as me which helped to discover things about myself. Since CNR was primarily an all girl school, I learned more about myself, gender, and what my role will be in the world as a female professional.

Kathia

My first year of college flew by with the blink of an eye. I have learned so much about myself and others. College has made me a well rounded person. Community service is the missing link between my college education and my future. The inordinate amount of volunteer work I have been exposed to during my time at CNR has taught me social responsibility, improved my self-worth, while I gained new relationships. Volunteering induced a sense of fulfillment as well as pride within me. Building a new respect for myself and others provided me with a sense of direction in my life. With students who reached out to serve their community through their education, I was able to delve into my passion for the health sciences and engage in the wide variety of leadership and community service. There are certain skills, knowledge, and attitudes that are expected of me as a college student and I plan to utilize them in my personal and professional life.

Unique

Let's try something different. Look at this from another angle. Ask a high school senior to sit down and think about where they would like to be in 10 years from now. Find out if they are making the necessary decisions to achieve their goals. Is attending college in that equation? Now, after you heard all the I don't knows, why, and I can'ts...tell them your story. Tell them how long it took you to figure that out. Why you now know and understand that education is the key. Doors which would otherwise be close. Doors that opens to your wildest dreams. Do not be afraid. Their is nothing to fear, but fear itself. College graduates earn twice as much as High school graduates. In the days of technology, with everything moving so rapidly, keeping up with the happening, is necessary. Let the high school senior know - - Do Not Ever - under estimate yourself? Education is knowledge ... Education is power ... Education won't hurt...

Alka

When I go back in time, i would tell myself to be more aware of what kind of college life that i want instead of being forced into a decision that is not best for me. I would tell myself to choose a college that is best for myself rather than just deciding to attend a big university for its reputation. As a college freshmen, I realized that small class sizes at College of New Rochelle was more helpful for me than large classes at big universities. so the advice that i would give myself is to choose whats more beneficial and helpful for me.

Kaylynn

Calm down! Why are you so worried about college? You have always done well with school and will do especially well your first year. I know and I understand how you feel. You feel that you might not make the step team. You're worried that you might seem lazy to future employers because you never held a job and you have no idea what you will major in. Well, there is no need to worry because you make the team, you find a job, and you decide to major in nursing! I know it will be a significant change to live in a different state and to live on campus, but you will transition fine. Also, the homesick feeling will go away. Your second year will be another turning point. Your plans will switch from becoming the perfect, well-rounded student (joining many extracurricular activities and having a high GPA), to becoming more career-focused. This is good. You will study to learn more instead of just to do well on a test. Lastly, try to not procrastinate so you won't stress yourself out. Remember, college is important but it isn't a life or death situation.

Tiffany

It's all about where you see yourself. It's about being happy. Make your choice of schools on that criteria. Pick a place that complements you and will allow you to blossom as an eternal learner and student of the world. Sure money counts. Without it there would be difficulties but before you make a decision, base your choice on your intuition. Does the school "speak" to you? College is not like high school. Sure you have your cliques at times. But all-in-all there is more of a focus on ability and college will allow you to chance to be free from most of that superficial bologne. The freedom doesn't hurt either. No more curfew and parental restriction. But that doesn't mean you have to go crazy and turn into someone your not. Stay grounded and focused. Be the person you always wanted to be. Branch out and do things you never had the guts to do in high school. Now is your time to shine. Enjoy it and relish the fact that now is your time to finally prove yourself to be an amazing individual with wonderful things to offer the world.

Marion

The first thing I would tell myself is to slow down. College is not a race. I would definitely tell myself to focus more on classes and naot on extracurricular. Also I would encourage myself to dream adn to keep moving despite what personal and family situations may arise. I would prepare myself to be less trusting of pepole at first and let them learn to gain that trust. I would make sure tha the senoir me feels like she has all the informtation she didnt have the first time around. Its hard to go back and say what I would tell myself becuase even though I have had some good and some bad experiences all of them make me who I am today. I am more capable, independent, caring, cautious, and goal orietented and I can definitely say that my undergraduate expereince played a huge role in my current pursuit of a Graduate degreee in Counseling. I want to help others and provide highschool srudent s the opportuinity to achieve their dreams and goals without negative disruptions. I want o teach others to look to themselves for the answers. To reach for their dreams.

Rondell

I would tell them that college is nothing like high school. Transition from high school to college will take some time for you to get use it. No one is there to tell you what to do and when to do it. Go to college for yourself and no one else because it's all on you. Make sure you know what your going to school for. Take college and life very seriously and study hard. Try not to hang out to much because it will hurt your work. College is a place of learning and meeting new people where one can be successful. College is a wonderful experience for one to strive. College life will prepare you for the outside world. I would not trade anything in the world from the great experience that I received while I was in college. Once one get there degree they will feel different and your life's prospective will be different to. College is a great place for networking and finding out who you are. Make sure you give 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} in all you do because no one is there given you a grade, you work will show it. Go to college.

Mattie

The advice I would give myself is, don't try to do too much. Taking on multiple clubs all at once isn't going to be anything but impressive on paper. Once you get to college go to NYC more, it's right there and you never go. Don't be afraid to apply to the harder school to get into. If you have to go against the school have lots of examples of why your theory works. Never room with neat freaks, and try to take advantage of the good stuff on campus.

Choose the school that is right for you, not because they have the daul program and it is close to home you can always double major.

Never excuse yourself. Procrastination may have gotten you through high school, but it is only going to hinder you through college. Being a senior and graduating is not an excuse to slack off. Late work is no longer an option. Start practicing your time management skills now, because there is no such thing as a study hall in college; any waking moment outside of class, is homework time. Push yourself harder, it will make college only seem easier. College is not meant to be a social place; you are there to learn first and foremost. Take advantage of every opportunity presenting itself to you at college; life only enriches with these experiences. Make friends, and learn to enjoy college even when you feel like you are in over your head. Time will escape you if you choose not to hold a firm grasp on it; you are the one in control. You can handle this. Make everyone who worked hard to get you here, proud. Before settling with a major, feel free to explore your interests, find something you truly enjoy in addition to embracing your strengths. Education is a blessing, do not compromise it. Never, ever give up! =)

For the students, think about the kind of person you are, your interests and the kind of things you would like to try. Then think if that school offers all of those things you thought about. Another thing to think about for both parent and students is if the school is affordable. Money is a big issue, especially now, so look into all the scholarships and grants a school offers and all of the scholarships and grants you may be able to recieve outside of the school. Think about the size of the school. Do you want to attend a school with a big campus or little campus. Would you like a large class size or a small, more intimate one. How far away do you want to be from home, thats a major one to think about (Thats what made my decision to attend my school).

I think that it is important to go and take a tour of the college, and even do an overnight there. With most overnights the prospective students get to sit in on a class, which will help them determine if the like the class size, and the technology used in the classroom. Also if they are going to be living on campus it is nice to see how the rooms are set up. You can also schedual a meeting with an advisor and see what kind of options there are in persuing your degree.

Eglantina

visit it and have a tour

Grace

My advice is to request a personalized school visit. Many schools have overnights for high school seniors; I attended one and it was wonderful. Also, email professors and ask them if you can sit in on classes. Many classes are at night, so if the college is near you, you won't have to miss a day of school. Also, colleges often have different spring breaks from high schools, so visiting schools and sitting in on classes might be a good idea during your time off from high school. Go with your gut and good luck!

Talena

I truely believe that visiting the college and participating in over night programs and speaking to current student about the school (not the host or tour guides) you will find if that is the school for you. School shouldnt be a pressure or else you may not do as well but it should be a great experience. Before attending a college check out their various programs both academic and non-academic.

Denise

Stay focused and take time for your self .

Shanna

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Sherry-Ann

When deciding whether to go to a college or not there a lot of things one should consider. I think the first is what you are looking for in your college experience. Some people want to get in, get out and get their degree quickly. If you are one of those people you should not pick your college based on any other factors besides what the school has to offer academically in terms of the professors, the set program course (if you are trying to get into a program) and the internship and job placement opportunities. If you are a student that wants to enjoy the social and academic aspects of your college, you may want to consider more than that. Location is very important : Is it close to a city? Is there a grocery store or bank near by? Are there available modes of transportation such as buses or trains? You should also be aware of the ehtnic diversity so you can be exposed to people and ideas you may have never experienced. Lastly, are there clubs and activities on the campus that you would be interested in? After choosing your college, focus on your work but get involved.

Ericka

When trying to pick the right college you can not always go completely with how good the Financial Aid package is, although it may be a significant factor. Do your research and visit the school including finding out about the surrounding community. If you are the type of person that wants a campus that has more of a social scene, investigate how often students on campus go home and if you are going to school out of state see the percentage of students that share your situation. It is entirely based on learning preference if you do better in small classe sizes versus large but I think that small class sizes give professors the opportunity to really help you. Just try to create a study regime so that you are not prone to procrastinating early on and then you should do well throughout your experience. I would also suggest surrounding yourself with positive people and not letting anyone pressure you into anything because its easy to get carried away and develop bad habits that hurt you in the long run.

Deva

Develop an effective way to manage you time and learn how to put aside time for both your friends and studying. While friends are great, your GPA is very important, especially if you plan to go on to graduate school.

Apply to all the schools that interest you and take your time in choosing the one. Visit the schools several times a a visitor and as a prospective student. Talk to the "students" not just the "tour guides". Get the inside information on the college. Then once you get to college know that you might not like it all the time. College is work preparing you for the real world. But in the real world you cannot just work, so make sure you enjoy yourself sometimes.

Jaclyn

Do your research. Never pick a school because all of your friends are choosing it, don't just pick a school because of it's campus and definitely don't pick a school because it is a "party" school. Consider everything about the college; consider how comfortable you are in the school, the diversity, how big or small the classes are. Do you want a school where you are known by a number or would you rather be known by your name? Do you want a college that has all the resources to help you during school and after you graduate? Apply to inside scholarships as well as outside scholarships. Be confident, optimistic and determined. Make friends and join as much clubs as possible, have fun but not too much fun and don't overwelm yourself. College can be the best time of your life and it can also be the worst. Just do your best!

Ariel

Visit the campus. Not just on a school tour but actually walk around and do participant observation. Do they look content? Is everybody stressed and miserable? Thats probably a bad sign. Hands on learning. It's pretty much the best thing out.

Serah

Ask every question in the book and more.

CARONA

My advice is for parent's and students to thoroughly investigate the schools they are looking into. Make sure to go to the institution, gather information from all the resources on campus. The most important is to talk to the students already attending that institution because they will tell you what the reality is as opposed to the school itself trying to sell you a facade. You need to think carefully about where you want to go; a party school or a more conservative school. Never forget that transferring to another institution is your right. Do not wait until it is time to graduate to realize that that particular school was not right for you. Finally, dont forget enjoyment. Too much work with no fun makes for pure insanity and unhappiness.

jevonne

When trying to find the right college to attend many things need to be taken into consideration. You need to make sure that the school you attend can reflect you as a person and support your academic hunger. Being bored in class is not an option, you pay to receive quality education and you should settle for no less. You should also choose a school based on your social and extra curricular needs. Visiting campuses and scoping out how it functions on a daily basis is a good blue print to how the campus usually functions. Making sure the school filfills your social needs is very important in maintaining a good balance. We so often hear about students being depressed, having social function available can lessen this outcome and having a good counselor service can also help. Lastly, sufficient financial aid needs to be available to students. It is the worst feeling to be worrying about how much loans you have to pay back after college. Obtain as much financial aid as you can to lessen your financial burden. 1) potential winner based on the criteria of writing ability (25{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}), wisdom (25{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}), originality (25{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}), and overall excellence (2

Shannon

Finding the right college can be difficult and challenging. I think it is very wise to talk to a student that does not work for admissions to get a real feel of what college life is going to be like at a particular campus. Don't be fooled by high finacial aid packages, they can sometimes be very misleading. If you are unsure about what you want out of life, as far as a major or a career, go with languages. There is good chance that whatever field you later become interested in will need someone who is multi-lingual - it is an assest to any future employer. In addition to settling into a school, don't feel as if moving on to a different school is wrong - go with your gut instinct. Most of all, be open to change and new opportunities, this is really the time and place to discover the world and what you want out of life. Remember to have as much fun as possible, but always keep the end goal in sight - graduation. And if you find you need a bit of a change, study abroad, you will never have a better experience.

Patricia

I am a commuter and I chose my school because I know that I am less likely to be distracted living at home than I would be living on campus. I think that my campus is gorgeous, particularly in the Fall. I think that the way your campus looks should be very important when looking at schools, especially if you have to live there for 4 years. The faculty at my school are always friendly, and most of them do as much as they can to help.

Virna

Try not to focus too much on the money the college offers. It might attract you at first but really good education is a better pick.

kimaada

Take a tour of the colleges, ask current students about the available social outlets/clubs, local community entertainments,etc. Also get involved, and get the most out of the college because you are paying for it.

Alina

When searching for a college you really need to consider what you want to get out of it and the reason you are going. If you are sure about the field you want to get into, you may choose to go to a school that specializes in it. Financial aid is usually a big factor in deciding which school to attend. Sometimes you may need to sacrifice going to an Ivy-league school and choose something more realistically affordable. If that's the case, don't worry. Colleges have an array of talented and qualified professors whose goal is to help you blossom and thrive. Just because the school may be cheaper doesn't mean you are sacrificing your education. The reverse is true also. Remember, you're not alone and people are readily available to help and advise. And should you feel you didn't find exactly the right college after your first year, you are able to transfer; your decision to attend one school isn't officially set in stone. Trust your intuition, do your research, ask questions, and make the most of your time at college and you should go far. Good luck!

Maria

I I wdjkfkldfkdjkfj

Yasmin

I would tell students looking for the right college to find somewhere that they think they'll be happy. College isn't just about good grades and getting a good job when you graduate. These are four years that are supposed to be the best of your life. I think students should look for a school where the professors care about the students, someplace that has alot of extra curricular activities, and it should also be somewhere that you think you're going to fit in. Students should definitely take advantage of any orientations that the school provides also. As for the parents, I would say that money shouldn't play as big of a role in the choice of a college as it does. This is your child's education as well as his chance for a promising future. If your child has his heart set on going to a certain school, money should be no object.

Mary

I think the best advice to parents or students looking to apply to a college is to visit the school and talk to students who actually attend the school. Not neccesarily the students who attend admissions events either because they all love the school and will paint it in a positive light. If you want to know the truth about a school, you have to ask th regular students questions. If you ask enough people you can get a really great feel for how the campus really is. Additionally, remember that you may have to live on or near the school for four years of your life, so make sure you like the area the school is in. If you aren't comfortable with the location, your academics can be effected by it.

Renea

Presently, I am enrolled in a MPA program to acquire my Master's Degree. Returning back to college or starting college for the first time is a lifetime and rewarding experience that anyone should not forgot. While attending college you learn, meet people from different ethic backgrounds, while getting your education. Their will be good times and bad times. But it is up to you the student to make the most of your college education. While enrolled in college do it for yourself, not for the kids, or your parents. Their will be times when your life seems like it is in an uproar but one must continue. Also, please do not let fear take over your journey to excell. If I at the age of 46 years old with two children can return and leave with a decent G.P.A any young person can do it. Make sure that when you choose your college that they offer courses and the degree that you need to excel. Many students do not research and waste time at a college where they really do not want to go to. Parents as well help your child search the web for college resources.

Natasha

I would tell parents to find a school that is looking for your child and would be willing to pay full tuition for your student regardless of SAT scores. Please help your child fill out scholarships and help them writing their essays because a lot of students got it easy when their student found a school that would pay for everything.

Kerese

When trying to find a college, you must first know what you want out of college, whether it is all about academics or if you want that college experience also. Check out what kind of extracurricular activities are available. The best way to see if that college is right for you is to vistit the campus. If you want a real college experience staying on campus will see to it that you get one. Attend all orientations for your selected colleges and see how the people at the college interact with each other and also with you. Make sure the school emphasizes on the major which you are going to apply for so you know that you will be getting the best education possible. Check the student to teacher ratio and the average class size to make sure it best suites you. Lastly, find out the percentage of students who graduate and have a job readily available for them to start there career.