Albany, NY
The College of Saint Rose

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of Saint Rose

Grace

Education, Catholic values, Communications and Sciences Disorders

Education, Catholic values, Communications and Sciences Disorders

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as an 18 year old senior in highschool the two words I would say to myself would be: calm down. High school presents itself with pressures and unnecessary stress that is elevated once you have been handed your diploma. I can recall being judged for the school I chose, as it is not as prestigious as some other institutions. However, I have seen many many students in my graduating class transfer because their college (despite its prestige) did not fit them. I chose a small, private, liberal arts college that prides itself on its commitment to the community, its caring compassionate population, and its ability to best educate students to be masters in the field with the passion, purpose and knowledge to be effective commited helpful citizens within their field. I value my choice and feel prepared to enage the world because of it.

The lack of student activities/involvement in student activities

Tamaya

IF I were able to go back to talk to my self as a high school senior, I would say that education is very important. I would remind myself of what my strengths were and to use those strengths as a foundation for where I wanted to go in life. Sitting idly by and letting life happen is not the best course of action but be agressive about the person you want to be. Stand firm to the values and morals that make you who you are. I would also say that people dont plan to fail but that they fail to plan. So take advantage of the opprotunities afforded to you and go for what you want NOW rather than waiting for later. Its much easier to stay focused when you have a goal in mind and at hand.

Ravin

They are fun,energetic people who are enjoyable to learn with.

They are fun,energetic people who are enjoyable to learn with.

Knowing what I know now about college, I would definitely stress to myself the importance of staying on top of my school work and getting the best grades I can get. I would also encourage myself to be more involved with things on campus,such as clubs and sports. I would let myself know that while academics is very important finding friends who are supportive is also another very important part of the college experience. I would encourage myself to go out and get to know people. The most important thing I would let myself know is that college is nothing like high school and that being so far away from home is an even bigger transition, I would need to find ways to help cope with both of those,while also doing my absolute best in classes.

The cost of the school because it is so expensive it is hard for some students to stay and finish out their degrees.

phil

st rose is known for its passion, knowledge and purpose. it is a school where rigorous intellectual discourse is valued. a blend of challenging majors, rich liberal education curriculum, aboard study opportunities, hands on research and internships.

at this time i would not change my decision to wait to go to college.

small classes, knowledgable professors and great support system

Tiffany

Theadvice I would give myself is to make every moment your last. Study like its yourfina ltest for the class and make the best out of it. Do not have the mind set that "oh I will make it up on the next couple tests." Strive forthe best in everything and everytime. Friends are wonderful to have but sometimes priorities come first. Make sure all school work is completed before goingto a party!! If you have the determination that you will succeed in life and go far then you will accomplish your goals. Also, it is always best to pace yourself. Dont not set yourself up for something that is going to be a hassle and you are going to overwork yourself. Take your time but think efficiently and smart.

The accessibility to the professors and how easily they are to get in contact with.

John

Since I started at St. Rose, I have enjoy every class I am in and I have increased my musical skills by alot from where they were at the begining of the year.

I would tell myself to do everything I think is right. Everything I did the last two years has helped me to relize that doing music is where i was ment to be.

There is nothing that I would have liked to know because the professors informed me what I would be getting into before I arrived here.

Lyndsey

My classmates are attentive, respectful, friendly, helpful.

My classmates are attentive, respectful, friendly, helpful.

Don't take things personally. It's hard to manage social life and school work but once you get into a routine, it sticks and it's easy to follow. Everyone else is just as nervous as you are and stressed out too. Every once in a while you have to really buckle down to get work done but it all comes together eventually. And don't go to college to look for that special someone, it only makes school more frusturating. Most of all, have fun. The time flies by.

To begin with, I would advise my younger self to spend a great deal of time looking for scholarships and pushing for more hours at work. I would also tell my high-school-senior self that the work load in college is difficult, but not quite as frighteningly life-consuming as I had expected. My senior-self would probably have suffered much less stress had I been told that earlier. I would also advise younger-me to accept whatever work study programs I can, rather than listening to my aunt and uncle. They aren't the ones going to college right now. That is me, and I wish I would tell my younger self that it was my opinion that should have mattered when choosing which programs to accept from the FAFSA because, really, I should have accepted all of them. Then I wouldn't be struggling as much now. My senior-self would really have benefited strongly from knowing all of this.

I wish I had known how difficult it would be to find a job on or around campus. Had I known this before I graduated from highschool, I would have done much more researching when it came to looking for scholaships.

My school, like every college I applied to, is incredibly expensive. There are hidden fees everywhere. For instance, my current meal plan includes a fee for broken plates. Apparently, the College of Saint Rose expects its students to break eight plates each semester. Who knew? Not me. Also, there is alimit to how many prints each student is awarded per semester. We pay a monumental technology fee and we are limited to 150 prints per semester. So yes, the cost of school is the worst part of college life.

Juliet

Mentally prepare yourself for living on your own and without the financial support of your parents. Go into college with the drive to succeed, because if you don't have the drive to succeed you will quickly fall behind. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to fail. Everyone has a bad day every once in awhile, but never give up because it will all be worth it.

I wish I knew more about the students that already attended the school. It wouldn't have made me change my mind into not attending this school, but it would have been helpful in my decision making process.

The worst thing about The College of Saint Rose is the price. It is a lot of money and with the falling economy it is getting harder to afford, but it will be worth it in the end to have a higher level of education with a lot of hands on learning experiences.

Heather

Perhaps the most obvious--and often forgotten piece of advice--is that you're going to college to study. Yes, it's a fabulous time to learn more about yourself and others in about 9 months than you ever have before; you can make new friends, discover your talents, passions, and future career, BUT none of that will be worth anything (especially the money out of your parent's bank accounts) if no studying is done. With that in mind find a school that is a specialist in the field your child is considering, OR if your child is undecided, the most extensive liberal arts/trade/tech school around. Believe it or not, class size is important, because you can either become a name and face in a lecture hall, or an individual well-known by your peers and professors (although there is a bit of bias in that statement). Parents, please try not to force your children to go to a school because they got a full ride (even though money is important) and students, don't pick a school according to its proximity to Starbucks, the mall, etc. (Again: you *learn* here). But really? Don't stress out.

I'm not sure if this is just all schools, but despite it's size, Saint Rose can be very beaurocratic at times. Also, transferred credits or credits that *shoudl* have been transferred are a hassle to resolve. The form is easy enough and the people are friendly, but you just have to fight over every single credit in question. Also, for billing itself as "affordable" prices seem exxagerated. The meal plans seem pricey which causes many to move off-campus and health services isn't any better (or less frustrating) than a typical doctor's visit.: you wait.

People who are very closed minded and unwilling to accept (simply put) different ways of life. I have learned more about poor/economically struggling people, people of different nationalities and sexual orientations than I ever have before, and most of it wasn't intentional. At Saint Rose, you meet people from all walks of life and that's no joke. Additionally, people who are arrogant or just act fake shouldn't attend either, because that fades really fast with the people you hang out with. It can also create real issues with your roommate. And please, go here to study.

The College of Saint Rose administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.