Wooster, OH
The College of Wooster

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The College of Wooster

JOhn

A good sized (1600 students) liberal arts college that gives you the freedom to pursue what really interests you. Highly dedicated professors. Great support staff. Wonderful and beautiful campus (Wooster really is one of the prettiest campuses in America).

Great group of studnets from across the US and Internationally. My first major exposure to international cultures came at Wooster. I still count most of those students among my friends.

Exceptional education. Great for students coming from smaller communities or looking to go to a top graduate school. Very strong family heritage. If you want individualized instruction within a close-knit community Wooster may be for you.

Wooster's Independent Study (IS), where you take a year and work on a self-directed project in your area of study, is still one of the most impactful events of my life. It taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to and the one-to-one interaction with my faculty advisor was superb. Wooster prepares you for the future, but if you want to go on to a top graduate school, e.g., Stanford, Harvard, etc., a Wooster education is highly respected.

Wooster is not in a big city so you don't have the party atmosphere that you'll find at Pitt, WVU, Ohio State, which is good (or bad if you like that atmosphere). Even so, there is lots to do and a great social circle at Wooster. Lots of students leave their door rooms open and the housing facilities encourage interaction.

Lots of Wooster students end up marrying each other.

Somina

So far my college experience has been bland. Since it is a two year college, there is no dorming so instead of getting a college experience all I get is class. I feel as though it is just the same as high school minus taking every subject class in one day. My classes are pretty decent. I feel as though a classroom will be a classroom no matter where I go, but as far as the campus and the people...it's a llittle bit mediocre.

Daniel

Independent Study (I.S), both in junior and senior year.

Independent Study (I.S), both in junior and senior year.

The focus on Independent Undergraduate research is key to the college's curiculum, and is fostered in a small, non-pretensious learning enviornment. Professors and facuilty are accessible and will go out of their way to help you. Though COW is less known when compared to nearby Kenyon or Oberlin, the merits of this school contribute to a high level of success among Wooster graduates. Many go on to earn Ph.Ds in their fields as a result of their COW education. Also, the campus is stunningly beautiful.

The College of Wooster is a very strong school academically, and especially in the liberal arts. I've never been anything but happy with the level of education COW provides, and know it will be incredibly helpful in my graduate school endevors. Strong academics dosen't mean endless work at the COW, as most students have the time (and energy) after class to use their knowlodge outside of the classroom in a variety of activities, and also to just have fun with each other. Few people here can say much of anything bad about the school, other than the normal complaints of college students, for most are just as pleased as I am. The COW deserves the reputation of Oberlin and Kenyon, for it is just as good, if not better, than these schools.

Everyone is very open minded and eager to learn the material.

Everyone is very open minded and eager to learn the material.

My advice to my self would be to learn how to effectively study before starting college. College is completely different from high school in that a student is completely on their own to complete the work and learn the material. If I knew how to study before college, I would have avoided struggling during the first month of school. College is also a learning experience so I am grateful that I was able to seek advice from others and figure out my own way of studying.

Kevin

Our school is small, more liberal, and religiously diverse.

Our school is small, more liberal, and religiously diverse.

Look at only 5 colleges, choose one quickly, and stop worring about it. College life is much better than high school, so there's really nothing to worry about if you choose a school that reflects your academic standing, social life, and world view.

People who like both partying and studying in a small liberal arts school should attend with expectations of high demand, yet enjoyable--on the whole--classes.

Jesse

I would tell myself not to spend my senior year stressing about the college process--I realize now that in the end, we all get where we're going. I had so many pre-concieved notions about college that were, for the most part, grossly unfounded. I thought that I would only be happy at certain schools the students were all one way or another. I worries about competing with my peers at college in order to do well and find my niche. Now, I know that all of that is silly and trivial. I ended up at Wooster, where it seems impossible to put your finger on what kind of student this school caters to, which is so refreshing. People from all walks of life attend, and everybody is happy to coexist. I also realized that in college, we're all in it together. Your friends, classmates and professors are there for you, no matter what, and people want to see you succeed both during and after school. All in all, I would tell myself to just be my best self in college, and with that mindset I would arrive at school with the best set of tools possible.

Somebody who doesn;t want to go to a school where people are classifiable as one type or another. Students here should be friendly and unpretentious, because Wooster students do not tolerate uppity attitudes.

I f I had the chance to go back in time as a high school senior and give myself advice, I would start off by advising myself to have an open mind. I wanted to go away from home in the Midwest and not consider many options that would have benefited me far more than the school I attended my freshman year in college. Taking advice and considering others suggestions would have caused less stress for me and maybe I would not have experienced a massive transition. But no matter what, I learned that this has been an experience and even when I am not in school or attending my classes during breaks, I am constantly learning. I am learning more and more about myself and what I want in life and what I expect myself to complete and accomplish. Throughout all of life's disruptions and pauses I never take a pause from being myself and knowing who I am as a young, mature adult.

I am a transfer student and I feel like this is the right place for me. I feel very comfortable and glad I made the decision to transfer here.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that it gets really cold in the winter. The Midwest is known to have four seasons in one week.

Robert

I would tell myself to apply to William and Mary. I was overly optimistic in assuming there would be vast amounts of intellectual curiosity among students everywhere. Instead, I would let myself know that I was spoiled by my high school and that applying to a place with lots of my friends from high school would be a good idea. I would let myself know that everything I had heard about students thinking a lot in college may indeed be true, but it wouldn't be true to the extent that it was at my high school, and so I shouldn't let myself get disappointed. I would tell myself to make sure I stayed in touch with all of my friends and to pick a college closer to some of my friends (and make sure there was public transportation).

There is a lot of emphasis on helping students with various learning disabilities, of which I am certainly a member.

I talk most about the emphasis on helping those with special needs and the focus on teaching.

Katie

A very learning-oriented, research and independent study experience. Wooster is a school for the driven individuals who know that they have talent in many different subjects. Studying and learning is an important and interesting part of our lives.

It is important when looking for a college that you have a well-rounded experience. A private liberal arts school was the best decision for me to make because the work load is intense, meant for a driven person, yet you could always find time for a school activity, club, or just time to relax and hang out. Classes are small so the attention from teachers is more in depth and rewarding.

I wish i had known that tuiton would raise by 10k in the past 4 years.

Brian

Our school is a academically intense but manageable school. When you need help you will get it be it faculty or another student.

The most distinct thing about our school is the Senior Undergraduate thesis or the Independent Study done in (obviously) the senior year.

I would say to step out of your comfort circle as much as possible while attending college, because otherwise you'll miss out on a lot. Academics are important, and concentrate this as much as necessary to succeed, but there is more to the college experience than academics. I've learned as much from my peers as I have from my teachers, just in different ways. I would also suggest getting help when you need it, and prioritizing your daily activities to suit your needs. Again, try to put your school work ahead of social or extra curricular activities, but don't let it stop you from living during the best two to four years of your life.

The College of Wooster administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.