The College of Wooster Top Questions

The main advice I would give myself is ITS OKAY TO NOT KNOW! College is a time of learning who you are as a person in society. It is okay to change majors and explore new opportunities. It is okay to not know what you want to major in straight out of high school. It is okay to be unsure about what direction you want to take. It is all okay. College is about finding out who you really are. It is about learning how to truly develop well-rounded skills to use in all aspects of your life. So many high school seniors worry about their future; I certainly know I did. If I could tell myself anything that resonates more clearly now as a young professional than it ever did before, it is that everything will be okay. I promise.

At the beginning of my first semester, I arrived on campus early to participate in the girls varsity soccer team preseason. During the summer we were expected to workout and follow a program that was supposed to get us into shape for the soccer season. However, I did not take this packet of information seriously. Insead of legitimately executing each of the activities, I did them to the best of my ability. I made it all the way through preseason, but I was not getting the results I wanted. The coach explained to me that I would not receive playing time till I was up to par on my skills. School work became hard to complete as well, so I quit the team to better pursue academics. If I could go back to my high school self, I would explain the hard work it takes to participate in a college level sport. Instead of worrying about my summer with my friends, I would try to explain how hard it is to not play soccer anymore because I was not taking my work outs seriously. I regret not being dedicated enough to a sport I love.

Kyra

Don't worry about fitting in with people on campus and making friends, because it will happen no matter what. Have friends, but don't get too caught up in the social aspect of your education. You are going to college to learn. Listen hard in class, and study hard on your own. Just because something is available to you doesn't mean you have to participate in it, so don't spread yourself too thin. DO get involved in something positive and productive, however. Its going to seem difficult, but you are more than capable of achieving everyting you set out to achieve. You wouldn't have been accepted if you didn't belong there.

Antwan

As a student enters college it is expected for him or her to develop emotionally and sometimes physically. The things that you were used to and the life style you once lead are expected to change, when I started at the College of Wooster the changes were evident. I was no longer the high school big shot or even apart of my household. I felt like I entered a world full of people with air bubbles full of ideals, aspirations, and desires and my poor air bubble was the size of a pea. I anticipated the physical and emotional changes but I soon realized the bigger change I had to face was a mental change. I had to accept the fact that I could no longer be the center of attention, I could not expect passes or things to be handed to me, I had to learn to strive for what I wanted and demand what I needed. After just one semester of college I have matured and so many ways, I owe this to my new found determnation to be the best me that I can be and that means putting forth my best effort not anyone elses.

Zilu

I am an international student from China. Wooster is a great experience for me because I can feel the care and attention from the college, which is a special advantage that many other colleges do not offer. Students and faculty here are really really nice people who are always willing to help. As for academics, students here are competitive but not over-achievers who only want to beat you down. We help each other to improve together.

Somina

So far my college experience has been bland. Since it is a two year college, there is no dorming so instead of getting a college experience all I get is class. I feel as though it is just the same as high school minus taking every subject class in one day. My classes are pretty decent. I feel as though a classroom will be a classroom no matter where I go, but as far as the campus and the people...it's a llittle bit mediocre.

The College of Wooster is a very strong school academically, and especially in the liberal arts. I've never been anything but happy with the level of education COW provides, and know it will be incredibly helpful in my graduate school endevors. Strong academics dosen't mean endless work at the COW, as most students have the time (and energy) after class to use their knowlodge outside of the classroom in a variety of activities, and also to just have fun with each other. Few people here can say much of anything bad about the school, other than the normal complaints of college students, for most are just as pleased as I am. The COW deserves the reputation of Oberlin and Kenyon, for it is just as good, if not better, than these schools.

My advice to my self would be to learn how to effectively study before starting college. College is completely different from high school in that a student is completely on their own to complete the work and learn the material. If I knew how to study before college, I would have avoided struggling during the first month of school. College is also a learning experience so I am grateful that I was able to seek advice from others and figure out my own way of studying.

Look at only 5 colleges, choose one quickly, and stop worring about it. College life is much better than high school, so there's really nothing to worry about if you choose a school that reflects your academic standing, social life, and world view.

I would tell myself not to spend my senior year stressing about the college process--I realize now that in the end, we all get where we're going. I had so many pre-concieved notions about college that were, for the most part, grossly unfounded. I thought that I would only be happy at certain schools the students were all one way or another. I worries about competing with my peers at college in order to do well and find my niche. Now, I know that all of that is silly and trivial. I ended up at Wooster, where it seems impossible to put your finger on what kind of student this school caters to, which is so refreshing. People from all walks of life attend, and everybody is happy to coexist. I also realized that in college, we're all in it together. Your friends, classmates and professors are there for you, no matter what, and people want to see you succeed both during and after school. All in all, I would tell myself to just be my best self in college, and with that mindset I would arrive at school with the best set of tools possible.

I f I had the chance to go back in time as a high school senior and give myself advice, I would start off by advising myself to have an open mind. I wanted to go away from home in the Midwest and not consider many options that would have benefited me far more than the school I attended my freshman year in college. Taking advice and considering others suggestions would have caused less stress for me and maybe I would not have experienced a massive transition. But no matter what, I learned that this has been an experience and even when I am not in school or attending my classes during breaks, I am constantly learning. I am learning more and more about myself and what I want in life and what I expect myself to complete and accomplish. Throughout all of life's disruptions and pauses I never take a pause from being myself and knowing who I am as a young, mature adult.

I would tell myself to apply to William and Mary. I was overly optimistic in assuming there would be vast amounts of intellectual curiosity among students everywhere. Instead, I would let myself know that I was spoiled by my high school and that applying to a place with lots of my friends from high school would be a good idea. I would let myself know that everything I had heard about students thinking a lot in college may indeed be true, but it wouldn't be true to the extent that it was at my high school, and so I shouldn't let myself get disappointed. I would tell myself to make sure I stayed in touch with all of my friends and to pick a college closer to some of my friends (and make sure there was public transportation).

It is important when looking for a college that you have a well-rounded experience. A private liberal arts school was the best decision for me to make because the work load is intense, meant for a driven person, yet you could always find time for a school activity, club, or just time to relax and hang out. Classes are small so the attention from teachers is more in depth and rewarding.

I would say to step out of your comfort circle as much as possible while attending college, because otherwise you'll miss out on a lot. Academics are important, and concentrate this as much as necessary to succeed, but there is more to the college experience than academics. I've learned as much from my peers as I have from my teachers, just in different ways. I would also suggest getting help when you need it, and prioritizing your daily activities to suit your needs. Again, try to put your school work ahead of social or extra curricular activities, but don't let it stop you from living during the best two to four years of your life.

Colleges come in many sizes, look at your high school and ask yourself if you like the size and go from there. If you aren't sure what you want to do yet go to a Liberal Arts college. GO VISIT THE COLLEGES AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!

Cora

When I was applying to college, I thought that there was a perfect school for me. I had my dream school picked out and a line of back-ups waiting for me (all of which I had decided that I did like, even if it wasn't my number one). I got accepted to my dream school, but the College of Wooster offered me a very generous scholarship. My biggest advice to give in choosing a college is not to set your heart on one school before you get your acceptance letters. I quickly found at the College of Wooster that I was going to get everything from this school that I would have gotten at my one-time "dream school" but wouldn't be paying off school loans for the rest of my life. I guess my advice is to be open to your options, because there isn't one perfect school for everyone - there's plenty, and it's important to take advantage of what is offered to you. All schools have numerous clubs, activities, majors, etc, and even if it takes some people longer than others, if you put yourself out there you will find your place.

Louisa

For parents, let the student decide. If they're at a school they were pressured into going to, and they dont like it there, they won't do as well. For students, find a school that fits you. Don't go to a school because your friends are going there, or your significant other. Choose for you, some place you feel comfortable and think you could learn well. Remember you're in school to learn.

Marty

You've got to make you're decision on what feels right to you. No one else can tell you what college is right for you except for yourself.

Elaine

I think it's really important to visit the college campuses and find a feel that is right for you. It's an individual decision, and it has to be an institution that is able to provide for your interests, both academically and socially.

Dustin

Many parents choose a school that is affordable or that maybe is close to home, but the connection between the student and campus does not form. If the intelligence level is there, but the finances are not, sometimes families will simply "settle" and go to a small community college. For me, when I walked on campus, I simply knew right then and there that this is where I wanted to be and get my education. The cost became an issue afterwards, and was dealt with appropriately with grants, scholarships, and any loans that needed to be taken out. If the drive is there, a student will feel it. Parents should sit down with their children and find out what they really want out of their college experience, whether it be a strong focus on the hard sciences and research or if they want to get a good education and have some sort of social life. Then, narrow down your choices from there to schools that fit into what they would like, and then visit the colleges. If the connection is there, parents: your kids will feel it. Students: you will know what I mean.

The easy part is narrowing down the schools that fit your academic desires. Look for lots of opportunities for extracurriculars, culture, travel or whatever interests you. The more difficult part is finding the right fit. You won't know if the school is the right fit until you get there, are enrolled, and are living the life as a student at that college. You may not even be sure after the first year since the first year is often a tough adjustment. Be sure to take advantage of what the school has to offer. You really have to explore. Make sure to find an academic advisor that is not only supportive, but gives good advice and points you in the right direction. Even if you end up somewhere that is not quite what you expected or is less than ideal, I truely believe you can make it work with great friends and by insisting on attaining your dreams.

Jonah

Visit! Visit! Visit! The only way to know if a College is for you is to go there, and get the feel for it. Talk to as many students as you can, and not just the ones the Admissions people find for you. You want to get it from the horse's mouth. Identify the things you care about before you start looking, but don't close your mind to factors you might not have considered. The cost of a college is what you pay after scholarships, so get figures on average financial aid and take that into account. That said, you get what you pay for, so if you think you're getting a great education and you can afford it, it's worth the extra expense. Finally, as Loren Pope says in "Colleges that change lives" (an indispensible book, by the way), "Judging a College by the quality of the students it accepts is like judging a hospital by the health of the patients it admits. It's what goes on inside that really counts." (paraphrased)

Clara

First there are the basics: consider size, location, and how much it costs to attend. The size of the student population is an important factor to take into account - don't go to a large school if you know you'll be swamped and lost, and don't go to a small school if you'll be suffocated. However, beyond these obvious factors, the most important one to me was the religious affiliation of the school. IF, and only if, religion is an important part of a student's life, then it's a good idea to attend a school within the denomination. However, if religion is not important, this doesn't much matter.

Gabe

I would look at as many schools as possible, because the one that fits could always be better than the last one. Start early and keep looking until the last minute. The student should apply to schools that they have heard of before and ones they feel they will do their best at. Parents should always be supportive of their childs decisions and offer advice and not criticism. Just remember to relax and have fun at school, it is not the end of the world if you dont get straight As

Elise

There are absolutely not enough questions you can ask of the tour guides, the administration, professors. Do more than settle on one school. Most schools offer more than one hour tours as well. Schools typically offer overnight stays for prospective students. I know it can be really daunting and nerve-wrecking as a high school student and parent to go on one of these, but it's absolutely imperative that the students do. You cannot really learn what college life is like unless you live in it for a while. Actual college students are interviewed and serve a post as prospective overnight hosts to your children, and you should capitalize on these opportunities, so that you won't have to talk about an expensive transfer midway into freshman or sophomore semester because "Billy/ Susie" are disastisfied with the lack of social life at College X. Something He/She could've discovered on an overnight trip.

In order to find the right school, beginning the search process early, but not too early is probably the most helpful tool. Parents are so excited about the search process, but students, honestly, are usually not. If they are pushed too hard to even visit, then the experience will not be as beneficial as it could be. Once you start narrowing down schools, it is important to not only look at the academics and social life, but also just the environment you are in. If you apply and get into a school in rural Ohio that is great academically, but you hate cows, it is going to be a rough 4 years. If you apply to a school in downtown Chicago, and can't stand traffic, it is going to be a rough 4 years. You can make it, but it would be hard! Once at school, take time to meet people. You will meet people you immediately click with, and some that you can't stand. It takes time, but developing relationships is one of the keys to making it through school. Find people with your own interests, they are all looking for friends too! Good Luck!

Find something you truely love doing and find a way to make a living out of it! Keep your options open and do your research. (Large/small school? City or rural? Financial aid? Career guidance? Location?) It's worth the work! And most of all, enjoy your experience!

Look to your high school experience to understand what is the right fit for your college education. For me, the social element was the most important to me because I wanted to feel at home once I left everything I had ever known. I went to a small magnet high school in the city, so I thought maybe the city atmosphere was ideal. I applied and was accepted by a state school in a city. However, it was not for me. I did not like the anonymity, and therefor I was not very connected to the people or campus. My sophomore year, I transfered to a small liberal arts school where I could recognize and have great relationships with very many people, and today, I could not be more happy. Think critically about all prospective schools, and give each a chance. But just know that if you don't like the school's atmosphere, it will be hard to be your best academically, to be the best version of yourself, and to focus on your bright future.

Look carefully and survey many options

Philip

Don't flip out about what school you go to. You'll get a great education and have fun where ever you go

In finding the right college, students and parents really need to look at sources that DO NOT come from the schools or your high school guidance office. As wonderful as these resources are, they are incredibly biased, even your guidance office. Independent organizations and publications are really far more helpful. This advice falls under campus tours as well. While they might give you a nice overview of the school, they are also selling the school. GET IMPARTIAL ADVICE. To make the most of your college experience, get to know your professors. These people are you most important resource and if you blow them off you are doing yourself and incredible disservice. Also, do as much as you can on campus. If you're a varsity athlete, your plate if probably full already. If you aren't, then join some clubs, do the paper, see what frats are on campus. You need to make the most of your college experience, not just your college education.

Do your research! Go and visit the campus and get a feel for it. Figure out what types of things are important to you in a school and research accordingly.

In order to find the right college it is not always just about what is best for you. Instead, in my case I visited the different schools. It wasn't until I visited wooster that I realized that wooster is what I needed, and what clicked with me. I already felt as though I was a member of the community when I stayed overnight, and it seemed as though everybody else was very happy where they were physically, but also just in life while going to school in wooster. In order to make the most of your college experience, I think it is extremely important to open your eyes and heart to everyone and everything around campus. You should try as many things as possible, because it is the first and last time in your life you will probably have as many chances. Make as many friends as you can, because that just allows you to enjoy yourself more. Also, experience everything you would normally or in the past ignore. All of these things were what made my first year as enjoyable as possible, but also why I am still greatly enjoying myself.

Hanna

I would definitely suggest going to visit the college and talk with random students about what they think about the school. I find that many people are pretty open about their likes and dislikes, and I believe that it gives a great insight to what the school is really like. Also, look at class size and and ask about the relationships between students and professors. In order to make the best of your college experience, don't party every weekend, don't go shopping every weekend, and don't just stay in your dorm room being a hermit. Take advantage of the programs that the college provides! You will meet so many new people and learn so many new things. Also, I would highly suggest studying abroad. It not only is fun and exciting, but it gives you a new perspective about another part of the world. (It also looks great on resumes!) Overall, college is just a place to be yourself. Don't worry about what other people do. You will find your niche, and have a great group of friends that will last a lifetime.

Addy

Pick the place that feels like home - that makes you the most at ease. Then, when you go there, enjoy it as much as you can: Four years go by way too fast and it's easy to take it for granted.

Abby

Look for the small things that intrigue you, whether it is the way people interact, certain assets of the academic programs available, or the effect clubs and groups have on campus. The small features enhance the larger picture that will lead to your career, yet push you slightly out of your comfort zone in many respects when learning and dealing with new situations that will arise in life. It is important to visit the school of interest, because the feel of campus and the atmosphere that actually exists is portrayed differently through a brochure in the mail than the reality of it. Go out on a limb to meet new people and immerse yourself in different cultures and backgrounds to expand your knowledge about the world outside of the classroom. Take some classes you would not normally choose to expose yourself to new ways of thinking, different styles of teaching, and learning about a subject that could potentially drive your future down another path of interest. The effort you put in will be the success you get out: not only in academics but in life.

I made my final decision about my college selection after my overnight visit. I was allowed to attend a classroom lecture in my intended major and was placed with a student that had similar interests. My host and I met with a diverse group of students for an informal discussion about the campus. They were very honest about the strengths and weaknesses of the college. I appreciated their honesty and candor. No institution of learning is perfect. The trick is finding the one that is a perfect match for you. The college that allows you the freedom for self discovery and self expression. That overnight experience showed me the underlying pulse of the College of Wooster and its student body. I knew after that overnight visit that this was the school that was the best fit for me. My advice to parents is to allow their student to have the majority of input in the college selection process. They ultimately are the ones that will know if it is the right fit for them.

Severin

I think that it is most important to search for a school based on the fit for the individual student, the opportunities that are available, and the success and social development that are achieved through an education from the school. These things are not reflected in many popular publications such as U.S. News and World Report and can be found in many places that are not in the 'top 20.'

The best advice I was ever given was when you find the right college or university, you will know because you will feel like you're one with it and it will feel like home to you. If you feel uncomfortable or out of place, then the college or university is probably not right for you. This advice has held true for almost everyone I have ever talked to you. The college experience is a great experience because the college world has so much to offer such as making new friends from all around the world, going out to research in various fields, to study abroad in various countries, to share those priceless moments that you create with your friends, and most importantly, to go and study what you love to do that you will spend the rest of your life doing! I recommend that you stay on campus because if not, you will miss out on a lot of memories and experiences. Lastly, the college experience is about discovering who you are and where you want go in life!

My advice would be as follows: Don't choose a college under a loved one or friend's influence; it never works the way you think it will. Instead, choose a college based on your academic preferences; you are there to learn! Find a major that you love and enjoy your classes. Do dress and for class and go to class everday; it shows repect for your professors (in which they'll return to you). Try your hardest from day one; you'll regret it otherwise. Get out there and make friends in your dorm or classes, but don't forget your family; they'll be there for you no matter what. Remember to take part in on-campus and even some off-campus activities; it'll make your experience more enjoyable. Don't be afraid to party a bit, but don't make it your ultimate college goal! Do not give up your personal beliefs or morals to make friends; they're not worth it and you'll respect yourself more for it. Finally, enjoy ever minute of it; four years may seem like a long time, but they sure do fly!

Ainsley

Finding the right college isn't easy. For me, it was a gut instinct. This was where I belonged, and I knew that after spending an overnight here. For others, there are three or four schools where they could fit - I think what helps is to evaluate the school's program. Wooster's Senior Independent Study attracted me and many of my peers, but it also dissuaded a lot of people from coming. Making the most of the school you choose is easy: Mark Twain once said, "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." Though this adage has become somewhat trite in modern day, it's still completely applicable. College is about graduating, and getting a degree, and getting a good job, sure. But college is also about what you learn outside the classroom. I've learne works livimyself and about the way the world works living in a dorm than I ever have in an academic building.

Visit schools, overnight, and don't be afraid to challenge yourself to apply to schools just out of your reach. You don't want to end up at a school where your academic interest becomes deflated as a result of coasting and in effect a disregard to schoolwork. Also consider what types of majors you are interested in before heading to school some of the smaller schools only offer a limites selection. Despite all the other factors, your academic advancement is the main purpose of going to a college or university.

I would tell both parents and students that when choosing the right college, it is paramount that there is an ample amount of open and honest communication about expectations on both ends. There are a number of things that have to be considered, such as location, financial aid, the campus atmosphere, and just the feel of the campus in general. It is important for students to think about how often they want to be able to get home, how accessible they want their professors to be, and what type of extracurriculars, study abroad, and course options are available. Also, it's incredibly important that both parents and students visit the schools in questions, if at all possible. A lot of the college decision just depends upon the "right feel" for families. I would suggest that students just make a list of things that are really importantant and that they would really like to get out of their college experience, and choose the school that is able to meet their needs and offers the best combination of options so that the student is not only getting the best academic experience, but also the best personal experience possible to help them grow.

VISIT! Also, check out everything; from courses to extracurriculars. Spend the night on campus. Talk to as many current students as you can. Don't aim too high, choose a college that's on the same level as you both academically and financially. Talk to your future professors. Don't even THINK about going home every weekend. Don't do something (anything) you might regret later.

Overnight stays are the ONLY way to learn about a school. And make sure that you actually vist more than five kids. Colleges have many more students than the ones you'll meet. Student Org's will be your life, so find ones you like.

Make sure you find a college that fits to personality. Visit as many colleges as you can because when you visit the campus you will get a feeling that it is the campus for you. Dont choose a college because of your money situation unless you really have to. Teh college will most likely provide financial aid and is understanding with how the enconomy is. Also there are plenty of scholarships available for all types of people. When you get to campus dont be afraid to go out and meet new people. Try a party or two, but dont feel like you are forced to drink because people could care less. Also try different activities around campus without losing site of you school work. Take advantage of the community around campus and just have fun.

elspeth

Make sure to visit schools more than once, and do an overnight. If you are uncomfortable on your visit you will be uncomfortable going there. Go with you gut.

Elena

Pick the place that draws your heart...don't worry about money, you can always pay it off later.

Students should go to a prospective college alone for an overnight and get a feel for how the students there interact outside of the classroom and what a typical day really is.

The name of your school won't matter as much as your experience there, unless you plan on working abroad. Try not to worry about it. Don't be afraid to branch out and study something you never thought you'd be interested in--one new subject every semester. Take advantage of the school's resources while you're there, because soon enough you'll have to pay a lot for things like a gym membership, a personal trainer, and database access. That includes going to the free tutorials offered by the information technology department and hearing guest speakers. Make lots of friends, leave your pettiness in high school, and remember that you may be nervous and stressed, but everyone else is, too. Enjoy!