Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

robert

Contracts. At TESC you can find exactly what you want from a class by just making one yourself with the aid of the college. Need a class on physics and areoplane engineering? Write a contract, get a faculty sponsor, and head over to bowing or the like and get an internship and learn the works. Also unique about TESC is that it offers programs not class. Take a 16 credit art class and you also learn, religion, history, sociology, goegraphy, bussiness, natural philsophy. Take a class and learn more than just words in a book.

Do something over the summer besides laying in bed and eating pop tarts. Find a summer job or learn a new language, just keep active in some way so that when you get to college in the Fall all the hecticness of choosing classes and running to instructors won't seem so bad. Learn to budget. School costs money and if you have anything left after paying for your Fall qaurter hold on to it like a life line. Things happen in college that aren't expected and at the worst possible time. Your computer crashes completely, and your cell phone just broke, by the way your paper is due in a week and you have no money to get your stuff fixed or buy the books you need for the assignment. Things happen, just try to be prepared.

I think maybe the worst thing about TESC is time. Very greener answer I'm aware, but time just moves here (on campus). Class will comsume your life in a way I never knew it could. One day I'm attending class for the first time and the next its a new quarter. What I am saying is make sure you have something solid outside of the school to keep you grounded in the real world. TESC has its own bubble and sometimes it's hard to pop for a new student.

Danielle

What I love about this school is that their are no grades or gpa's, thus eliminating that horrible competition I felt in high school. The evaluation method is a more in-depth way of assessing what one learns. The people and environment are fabulous here as well. It's a safe, gorgeous place to learn and make friends.

I would tell myself to relax and go with my feelings, because I will truely make the best decision and choose the college with the right fit for me. I would also stress the importance of money. Saving money and getting as much financial aid as possible.

Honestly, I can't think of the worst thing about my school. I suppose they could work on their updates, especially when it comes to weather. And Food quality and prices could always be improved.

Sheila

Evergreen is different in many different ways. I think the most profound difference is the evaluation system versus a letter grade. After years of being a letter or a number which is the mean value of - who cares. All of a sudden you are able to say "yes i missed a few classes, BUT I did work and I had this big understanding". It is the best thing in the world, that liberating feeling, of not being another number to the prof and being able to have a say in what your learning actually means.

Enjoy the quiet while it lasts. Stock up on cigarettes before you leave because A. you won't be cutting back and B. cigarettes are expensive in Washington. Get a summer job sooner or you will be broke. Spend more time with your sister. Don't get in a fight with anyone less then a month before you leave. Go to the dentist sooner so you don't have to cavities filled right before you leave - yes you indeed have your first cavities. You're right, don't take your keyboard, you will be living in a shoebox. Enjoy good meat and fresh vegetables/fruit while you can - you won't see it for a while. It will be tempting but don't spend all your money on booze, you will want that money for real food (i.e. not cafeteria food) later. Keep your heart open, you will change your idea of what you want to do.

It is pretty easy to get into Evergreen. They have a high acceptance rate, but a low retention rate. My opinion on the correlation between those two numbers is that there are people at Evergreen that didn't get in else where, and for the good reason that college isn't for them. There are a fair few students that don't take learning seriously and don't realize that even though it is easy to get in is not congruent with the work load (i.e. you have to work just as much as other students, maybe more).

Scott

I would tell myself to take some time off before going to college and get adjusted to the costs of living. I say this because college is very expensive and it is hard to acknowledge these costs while your attention is on your studies. This is important to note especially is you're pulling out loans or credit cards. It is really difficult to understand how quickly interest adds up, but it sure does in a hurry. So, I would say to myself: Scott, take a vacation and figure out exactly what you want for higher education. Then I would tell myself to act on his meditations.

I enjoy the academic freedom here at Evergreen. There are hardly any hoops to jump through when it comes to taking certain classes or getting involved with programs. This was a problem in the past for me at my old college. If I wanted to switch programs or majors, it was as if I had to start my education over. Meaning everything leading up to that point was practically null and void. Why do traditional colleges prioritize and marginalize prior learning? Anyways, Evergreen does not and that is probably one of it's greatest attributes-- freedom.

I wished I would have realised that not every program was offered year to year. It's usually only the classes that are proven popular in a given quarter that get the priority. So, I would make sure that if you come with a certain program in mind, it would be best for you to contact the professor to make certain that it will be available when your first quarter starts.

Arianne

It's alternative education as opposed to really stupid strict bullshit.

It's alternative education as opposed to really stupid strict bullshit.

That I should've applied for Quiet Housing in the Freshman Dorms.

Christie

Sustainability studies. the ability to study anything that you want study as long as you have a teacher that will support you...

Don't be afraid to experiment with taking different courses. You never know what will interest you.

The body odor that some students have. The inconsistancies in some of the course descriptions, and what the course actually covers.

Sydney

I would have two major points of advice for myself! The first would be to get as involved as possible, in whatever way possible. It is so important to find your niche and then get involved. Being involved is what makes any person college experience a memorable person. It doesn't matter if you're into student government, drama, music, or intramural sports as long as you find something that is fun and enjoyable for you. My second point of advice would be to save up as much money and to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Money goes quick when you are a college student! It is worth the time and effort it takes to apply for scholarships, and you will greatly benefit from it.

Christopher

Funny you should ask, because I am currently 40 years old, returning to school after 20 years to finish my BA, and I often wonder if I had to do it all over again, what would I have done differently so that I finished the first time around? So, if I could go back in tiime and talk to myself as a senior in high school--I would say first, never give up, no matter how hard you may think it is. It will be worth it in the end. Second, I would say, seek out help in whatever form it is offered--go to the writing center, get a math tutor, talk to your teachers--they're all there to help you, and it's not a sign of weakness to ask for their help. Third, stay engaged and don't let yourself get behind--it's never as easy to catch up as you think it's going to be. Lastly, it might be fun to be out on your own for the first time, but don't let that become a priority--you've got to make sure school is number one...(but still call your mom).

The multi-disciplinary approach to learning. By taking one program for 1 to 3 quarters you are able to learn a great deal about any given subject. For example, in my current program we are learning about environmental education, the history of national parks, watershed ecology, field ecology, the natural history of Mount Rainier, visual art in education and the history of the indigenous peoples of the Puget Sound area. In addition there is a great deal of emphasis put on collaborative, place-based, and service learning. Plus you only have 2-3 faculty who are always accessible!

Because there is such an emphasis put on collaborative learning you might sometimes feel that some people are allowed to put in minimal effort whereas others seem to be giving 110%. This isn't always a bad thing, but it can be frustrating.

Kara

Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. The kids that have no friends in college are the ones who were too afraid of being rejected. You can't wait around for people to approach you, you have to make the experience rewarding.

The on campus dining (the Greenery) puts on a show for prospective students, but it's really not very good food. Also, be sure to really think about whether or not you want to be graded using evaluations--a lot of people think "Awesome, no grades" but evaluations are pretty subjective.

Someone who wants a challenge and a chance to be an active participant in their education. A lot of people come to Evergreen expecting it to be a "hippie slacker school," but it's really not--that's why the graduation rate is so low.

Armand

Classes are smaller allowing for closer faculty interaction. Seminars take place every week with other students, there is a good opportunity to share knowledge about relavant issues.

If I could give advice to myself, I would let myself know what to prioritize in my education. The key is to understand a way to approach it so that classes are most beneficial. Realistically, the general classes that someone takes in high school aren't that important to retain knowledge from. I would tell myself that the goal of those classes are to teach a student how to learn and get a taste of different fields that could be a possible major. The most important thing that I should have gleaned is learning how to study and make use of my time. It is important practically because if someone learns that, they can basically achieve whatever they want. That advice would have benefited me a great deal during my first years in college.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.