Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Shareen

Do not be afraid to speak up and have your opinions heard and continue working as hard as you do because it all pays off. Do not forget to have a little fun too.

Max

An accepting liberal student body with personalities all over the spectrum, you'll be sure to find students to get along wit...

An accepting liberal student body with personalities all over the spectrum, you'll be sure to find students to get along with.

The forest and surrounding outdoors is jawdropping. If you like going outside at all, you'll enjoy the campus.

Chantal

No grades, no majors. You decide the course of your education, it is highly integrative.

I believe the worst, and sometimes best, thing about TESC is that you get out of this school exactly what you put in. There is little help in terms of finding a career path, or academic advising, unless you directly search it out, or otherwise know exactly what you want to do. A little more guidance for choosing courses to match up with a career field would be helpful.

Meagan

The main thing that interested me in The Evergreen State College is that it was an alternative liberal arts school as well as a 'Green' school. When I had a tour of the school it was a beautiful campus surounded by trees and secluded. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and didn't judge me for what I was wearing or looked like. When i went to my first class I enjoyed it so much. It was hands on and I love that instead of the typical GPA grading system, they have evaluations.

I would've told myself to stick to my studies and not focus so much on helping my friends who didn't have enough credits to graduate. I would've also told myself to do some reading and maybe do volunteer work in my local community to be able to be more prepared to volunteer at the Evergreen State College.

I wish I would've known more about the class styles and had been able to sit in a seminar and witness what went on, as well as known more about indepent studies, field work, and volunteering.

Sabra

The transition from high school life to college life wasn't that difficult. What's difficult is finding time to apply for scholarships while taking a full-credit program. The advice I would give to my high school self would be to spend as much time as possible applying to renuable scholarships so that, in the future, when you're already in college, half the work is already done. I have had great difficutly finding time to apply for scholarships and it's stressful because, without them, I don't know that I will be able to attend school next year. So get to it, past self!

Programs instead of multiple different classes, independant study, and self-evaluations and teacher evaluations that give students actually imput and power in the classes they take at Evergreen. I also like that it's a small school with only about 2500 students.

The forest. I tell everyone that I live in a forest, with my own beach access. I also brag about not having grades but instead getting helpful and informative evaluations that will help me to become a better student, and intensive 16-credit programs that allow you to really focus on your subject and get to know your class.

Tyler

Evergreen definitely has a stoner-school, hippie, stupid activist reputation. The thing is that those people are the only people anyone really heard about. Evergreen grads are known to be very independent and capable. I think that this school graduates very adaptable students due to the kind of classes and learning and the social community. Evergreen is a very unique place that sometimes I feel only those who have been here can understand. We are also well known for being green and pretty liberal.

I would tell myself to come to college with an open mind and a drive to do what I really want to do. At Evergreen, the key to success in just about all aspects is to reach out and grab what you want. It's easy to sit back and ride the wave of your academic career here, but I'd encourage myself to really get as much as I can out of it, because Evergreen has so much to offer in every respect if you keep yourself properly motivated. Do your best work, play hard, but learn a lot and from everything you can. There is a lot you can learn from going to school here, through class, prefessors, and social interaction. Be assertive. Get yourself out to meet people, get involved with the community, fully immerse yourself in this experience and you will gain so much more out of it. There's not a better time or place to try hard and fall on your face. Learn from your mistakes, and be who you want to be. Don't sit back and wish things were different, get up and make it happen.

How laid back everyone is. Not in a bad way though. Everyone's easy to talk to and I feel like I have been treated to all sorts of different ways of learning and people. I feel as if my mind has been expanded in a variety of different ways both socially and academically through school work and social groups. The interdisciplinary schooling system also prepares well-rounded students who are able to make connections between many things throughout their lives.

Anne

No grades, one course at a time, interdiciplinary, teachers know and care about you. No TAs teaching

Don't worry about pre-reqs. Take the classes you want.

Conservative, biased, close minded, dislikes nature

kelsy

I would tell myself to learn to read in a more efficient way. I woudl also tell myself to learn you limits on becoming involved with extracurricular activites and to always have yourself as top priority.

A kind of person who shoudn't attend this school is someone who doesnt want to experiment with their college career. Someone who expects to have their nose in a book the whole time they are in college. If a person wants a hard core structure, they won't find that at Evergreen.

The most frusterating thing about my school would be the amonut of things that a person can become involved. There are so many great opportunities and great clubs to join, but you can only do so much.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.