Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Lea

Evergreen creates a great learning enviornment, and once you get used to it there is no stopping the anount of knowledge you can gain!

I think it is important not to have to many expectations. It is good to imagine yourself and then things you will be doing when you get to college, but if you have expectations about the people you will meet, or the guy you will end up dating you can easily let yourself down and wind up hurt feelings. It is god to know that having expectations can casue dissatisfaction.

I'm not completely sure. I think the interdisciplinary classes are well known; it is hard to know what is thought of as its merits by someone from out of town. In town, the school is a bit disparaged, I think.

This is kind of a silly question. As a high school senior I would never have listened to advice from an adult like myself, even if I had known it was myself. I would probably warn me not to be so stubborn, and to think twice before enrolling in the state school I initially dropped out of. I would warn about the dangers of not taking care of myself to the point of emergency-room illness, and I would let myself know that it would be better in the long run to wait for the right time to go to school. But I really would not have listened. I know I would have still enrolled in that state school, would have still lived in the trailer park and still would have worked so hard that I got strep throat, bronchitis and pneumonia all in the same winter. I know I would have regretted not listening to myself as I received a report card with the lowest GPA I have ever seen, but I still would have bull-headed my way through it all. That's what the formative adult years are about. Stupid stubbornness disguised as free independence.

I liked the small class sizes, and the interpersonal relationship possibilities with students and faculty were much better than at a larger school. This came with both good and bad things, sometimes extra attention is great, sometimes it is NOT so great. I like the interdisciplinary nature of the classes, and the 16-credit programs definitely have their merits. I also like the ability of students to create contracts to fulfill their own educational goals. This made it easy for me to fill the prerequisites for my Master's program without having to take many separate classes.

I wish I had gone straight to community college, then to Evergreen instead of trying to go to Georgetown. I would tell myself that community college makes sense economically and would give me a chance to adjust to the workload and college expectations while living at home. I would then tell myself that Evergreen is a much better fit for me and will provide me with the kind of education that I want in a way that feels like I am actually learning instead of memorizing.

I wish I had known more about the atmosphere and what being and living on campus was like. Because I am from so far away, I did not visit the campus before hand and knew very little about Evergreen. I wish the Evergreen website was easier to navigate so I would have known more about all Evergreen has to offer.

A person who needs a lot of structure should not attend Evergreen. Evergreen programs are very self-motivated. There are no rules or requirements for graduation other than number of credits. The student is in total control of his or her education, so there is a lot of work and responsibility on the part of the student to get the education he or she wants. If you want a path laid out for you, you shouldn't go to Evergreen.

William

I wish I had known that despite the gems, there is a lot of stupid bullshit you have to wade through. The administration is not on your side, although the will put on a nice face and pretend they are. Everything cool about Evergreen exists because of student (and some faculty) pressure and creativity; the administration is constantly trying to mainstream the college. Many classes are not worth your time, althought, like I said, there are some good ones. Get off campus, check out the rest of Olympia and the surrounding area.

I would recommend Evergreen to someone who is self-directed and interested in charting their own liberatory education. Folks who do well here are intrinsically motivated and interested in the world. Please, more radicals and fewer culturally appropriative hippies who have an essentialist, homogenized view of indigenous societies and want to change the world by tripping balls and being really groovy.

Paul

Diverse in their views and upbringings, but flexible and willing to collabroate in a cohesive way.

Very abstract and theoretical course material in many cases with not enough practical applications for future opportunities.

roxanne

This year has been a learning expence for me here at Evergreen, it is not like the other colleges I have attended. It is more open and not so restictive of the classes you take.

If I could go back in time and tell my self something about me now, it would be to go to my teachers and the high school and tell them to really teach me something that I can use in college. I was not taught how to write an essay paper in high school and now through my years at colleges it has been a real struggle for me to complete a paper. But with the help of many people at college I have improved on essay writing. Oh and I am an older student so it would be to give myself advice to getting the college sooner but it is ok if you wait too.

I like that I can take a number of different classes from fiber arts to math.

Heather

My classmates are all extremely different but for the most part very friendly and nice.

If I were allowed to go back to myself as a senior, I would have started to look at colleges sooner! There is so much pressure put on us as high schoolers to make the decision of where we want to go to college and what we want to do for the rest of our lives, it's no wonder we panic and have a difficult time. I would also tell myself to really tap in to who I really am and if I want to change the way I live. I would also tell myself to relax, because change can happen even after you start your college career.

laurel

I was a very independent 18 year old and thought I was too mature for things like campus housing, campus dining, and campus club sports. Looking back, I wish I had soaked these things up, allowed myself to experience them. I would advise the 18-year-old me to recognize college as a sacred holding chamber between adolescence and the working-world where I could afford to relax into learning, to indulge in the experience of college community. It's such a privilege to attend college, and to experience it fully is a way of honoring the opportunity. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage her to keep things simple, and allow herself to be her age. Instead of trying to be so mature and together, I'd advise her to feel okay about making mistakes and being a little afraid; and once she arrived at college, to loosen up enough to send in a mediocre assignment instead of a near-perfect one—particularly if it meant she was taking time out to experience what it was like to 18 and away from home for the first time.

i wish i had known that i could get involved in non-varsity club sports (like the crew team)...and that they didn't require tryouts. i also wish i had known that seeing a counselor was free...i feel like it took me quite a while to figure this out.

you should attend this school if you either know how to put together you're own curriculum (how to detect and follow your own interests) or you feel comfortable finding support. evergreen has lots of great support people to help people plan their curriculum, but seeing these people isn't mandatory and so someone who isn't motivated to ask for help may just not get it and evergreen could feel too open-ended.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.