Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Kathryn

It is a great school and has a beautiful campus. But there isn't that much to connect to unless you are really outgoing. I loved studying here, but the budget cuts have killed anything important and living here its really lonely. Don't go here if you don't want to do drugs and wonder the woods

Marcus

Best thing first, the Evergreen Graphic Novel Union is by far the best club on campus in my opinion, especially for those who are interested in art as a career and want to participate in a student artist community. They are active outside of regular club meetings, they print student work in zines, they table at local conventions, and the members are very talented. The GNU also screens weekly movies (more than the official Evergreen film club can even say). It's pretty much the only thing that's really keeping me at Evergreen. Now for some lame things, campus is usually a ghost town. On-campus living spaces are gross and old (I cleaned those for a job once). Due to a recent increase in national white supremacist attention the chances of serious on-campus violence seems a little higher. Most clubs, activities, and on-campus events are few and lack-luster. Now for some final good stuff, every class I've taken so far has been pretty good. Small class sizes allow for teacher's to work closer with students. I like how there are no required classes and there isn't a GPA. There are also a few good on campus facilities that are freely available to students such as media-loan and photo land. Students have a lot of freedom and flexibility that I doubt many other schools have. Evergreen advertises as a "do it yourself, you get out what you put in, design your education" deal, but it's really more like, "here, have a stick, a stick is a supreme toy, a stick can be anything if you use your imagination." But a stick is all you need if you're someone who'd rather go off and do their own thing like me.

Sierra

The Evergreen State College is as good as what you put into it. If you are a slacker looking to inch on by to get that piece of paper you can do that. If you a re a highly motivated student willing to take the initiative to arrange for independent study or work on independent research, you will shine and the faculty will help you in your endeavors. The Evergreen State College is a great choice for non-traditional and returning students who have to work for a living . There are great weekend and evening programs.

Sophia

The Evergreen State College is an oasis in the desert of grades and department politics. Why? Because at the Evergreen State College, we have none of those! Rather than grades, Evergreen faculty write an evaluation at the end of each quarter for each student. In addition, each student writes an evaluation of the faculty, their own participation in the class, as well as a cumulative academic statement that will be completed just before graduation. It's a longer process, but the focus in class shifts dramatically away from grades or tests, and toward the understanding of the students. When it comes to university politics between the departments, Evergreen bows out of the conversation. To promote the interdisciplinary learning style of the college, Evergreen's founders have elected not to have departments. Without the fighting for funds, enrollment, or resources, faculty can focus on other aspects of teaching. The focus here, at the Evergreen State College, is on learning and understanding. We pride ourselves in our ability to make connections between disparate subject matter, work in small groups, and reflect on our own processes of discovery. That is what makes Evergreen stand out from other colleges and universities, and that is what makes Evergreen a wonderful institution.

Angelica

Evergreen is the only college that I applied to. I loved it from the moment that I heard that a college like Evergreen could even exist, especially since they would let me take whatever I wanted. It was either going to Evergreen or joining the work force for me.

Emma

Overall, this place is fantastic. I am a trans queer kid with PTSD from a school shooting I was in (I'm always scared; take my campus safety review with a grain of rice) and they are very accommodating. Problem wise: they don't listen to their students of color, particularly black students. There is a medium-sized neo-nazi population both on campus and in the city of Olympia itself. They also have a proud TERF on their payroll, so trans students watch out. Academics wise: amazing. Pass/fail, five page long evaluations of your work from both yourself and your teacher, the class sizes are small and attentive, and there's only one class per quarter. Living on campus is a breeze, however Olympia isn't within easy walking distance so if you're disabled like me just keep that in mind. They do give you a free bus pass, though! Also: their acceptance rate is almost 100%.

Naomi
Small but Mighty

Small but Mighty

TESC was the second university I attended, and a world apart – literally, and figuratively. I started out at a public university in Texas where my freshman classes were HUGE lectures with hundreds of students. It was hard to find my place and be comfortable starting conversations. At TESC, classes are small and tightly knit. It felt like a much better place for me to learn and grow.

Michelle

It is okay to cycle through friends and not everyone needs to know your whole story.

The stereotypes that exist are hippies, stoners, and slackers. The "hippy" part is definitely pretty accurate and there are stoners and slackers but not nearly to the degree we are known for. In almost every program I have been in there really haven't been any slackers but there have been bare feet.

The students at Evergreen are some of the best and worst people I have ever met. In my freshman class there were a lot of people who decided to go to Evergreen because it looked easy and then they partied too much and dropped out. The ones who came to Evergreen for academic purposes and who worked and will continue to work and succeed are wonderful people. Evergreen is also full of unique and diverse people who for the most part are incredibly socially aware.

Tasha

Plan! College is the biggest investment you can make in yourself. Make it count! Don't waste your parent's or your money. It is your opportunity to launch. You will learn more about yourself, your limits, and your ability than you ever will anywhere else. It is scary. It is challenging. It is worth all of the work you put into it. Attending college pushes you to become who you were meant to be, whoever that is. On a social note, you will have the opportunity to meet the most amazing people! You might meet your first love or your last! You may meet your new best friend. You will meet friends for life. This is your time. Don't focus on that guy and making sure he/they are happy. Focus on making you happy. Follow your dreams and don't worry about pleasing everyone. You will disappoint people. You will also exceed all (including your own) expectations. During the whole duration of your college career, you will laugh, you will cry, and you will feel more than you have ever felt before. You will hit your highest of highs, your lowest of lows but you will succeed.

Someone who is conservative, who wants to be a part of a university, who doesn't like cultural diversity. If someone cannot be self-led, can't handle a debate, and doesn't know how to work in a group setting, this isn't the school for them. The campus is small, so if the person likes large campuses this too is a reason not to attend.

Evergreen has a strong sense of social justice, "Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve." I am proud of the fact that I attended synthesized classes from teachers who are culturally diverse and accomplished in their field. This is an alternative school for people who learn alternatively. The school is meant to challenge you mentally, emotionally, and get you out of your comfort zone. It accomplishes this in spades. I learned the most in my whole life attending Evergreen. I am proud to be a Greener!

Brandon

To Self, I know you're afraid. You're just finishing up high school, and the next step to take seems to be college. For others, this may be the best path, but for you, I ask you to wait. Discover what is out there, and see more of the world. School will always be there, but in order to get the most out of it, you'll need to find yourself first. You may think that things are set in stone, but you will grow more over the next 5 years than you ever have before. Be patient in your path, and know, the greatest joys are yet to come. I am proud of who you are, but the current moment is fleeting. If you leave for college now, you will find yourself unprepared. Continue to stay curious, and never lose sight of what you love. For one day, that passion will lead you into opportunities you have never dreamed of. Your fate is unfolding; Follow it.

I am proud to be a student of the Evergreen State College. We are a school full of hopeful, open-minded, critical thinkers. The curriculum is inherently interdisciplinary, allowing students to progress in ways they wouldn't have at a traditional western school. It builds a well-rounded student body, who then take their knowledge, and are able to apply problem solving across a multitude of real-world issues. We are not judged on the level of memorization, but the application of skills in various fields.

At the Evergreen State College, we have a such a unique way of approaching issues, we sometimes become clouded in our own thinking. The real world is often times different than our perceptions, and such, the problem-solving taking place can be unrealistic at times. This is not to say that these solutions are not practical, but only that they are often times not politically viable.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.