Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Lia

Once you're there, once you're in your bed, once you venture out by yourself and discover new places and new things you love, the fears won't be so prevalent. Because there are things to fear most everyday. Every single thing you do could give reason to make you fret. But soon you'll be reading vastly different things, you'll meet vastly different people. You'll enter a place of change, but it's good. It's the kind of change that forces you to realize who you are and what drives you. It isn't scary when you realize how wonderful it can be. It's like walking outside to find the sun shining, a slight wind muttering the tree leaves. It's wonderdul, even when it's horrible.

Although there are parts of the school that promote expanding one's consciousness, occasionally there is a prevailing answer to something incredibly fluid.

Eliza

Evergreen is best known for it's focus on interdisiplinary learning. At Evergreen you do not take four classes with one subject each, you take one class with 2-5 subjects that is taought by multiple faculty. This allows ideas to be more firmly cemented in a real-life perspective.

Dear Self, Please don't panic. Stress is not a necissary part of your life. You will make friends, and do well in classes if you just stay focused. don't forgat to get involved early. Join clubs, find a job, and find a central place to study instead of staying in your room all the time. Cook your own food. Trust me: it will make you feel much healthier. You can do this. Love, Future You

For me, the best thing about Evergreen is the fact that the teachers are invested in thier students' learning, not just thier grades. The proffessers are passionate about what they teach, and really want you to succeed.

Bronson

My first two years at Evergreen were spent deconstructing my identity. I come from huge warm family reunions with tons of food and loud aunts and uncles. I come from the islands of Hawaii, Samoa, and Aotearoa. But I also come from mixed messages and confusing spaces and often allowed homophobia and anti-Indigenous mentalities to govern most of my decisions in my developing years. I grew up thinking I didn't have a voice, that there was path laid out before me I had no say on. Evergreen helped me to find that voice within myself: in deeply introspective seminars on identity, in studying how Christianized American colonization shaped many of the beliefs I once mistakenly took for my native peoples', and in learning to self-care and self-love. If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be sure to say something about scholarships and aid. I would try to mitigate the fears and intimidations that "adult life" often comes with. But I would also tell younger me to stand strong in his deeper sense of self--because I and many, many others are so proud of him.

The stigma people outside of our school associate with it. People often make the mistake of assuming that Evergreen is a party school or a "fake school" because we don't have grades and we try to break away from the traditional educational foundation with a non-competitive approach to learning. I and many of my peers are proud to be attending The Evergreen State College and it's very frustrating to be completely undermined and ocassionally dismissed because of the fact that we are a liberal state college.

Evergreen is very self-motivated. The faculty members are amazing and super supportive but the work you do and the services available on-campus will only do you good if you take it upon yourself to get work done and go in to ask for help when it's needed. Students who need to be reminded to get their work done or be prompted to see an advisor won't succeed at Evergreen. There are so many cool things we offer here that students who never step outside of their dorm sometimes never realize how good they have it.

Cosmo

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s story, A Scandal in Bohemia, Sherlock Holmes tells his partner John Watson, "You see, but you do not observe." Holmes criticizes Watson’s unquestioning view of the world. In contrast, Holmes analytically observes his environment to find clues and solve crimes. To my past self I’d offer this advice: Observe your environment every day, think about your relationship to it, then consider why what you’re observing has come to pass. Truthfully, you allow much of what you “see” to melt into the background of your consciousness. But you need not be a detective to pay attention or make a difference. The world needs your conscious consideration now more than ever. Go outside, take a walk, and look around. How are the people in your community? Are they healthy or homeless? Do they get enough to eat? What’s happening to the fields and forests around you? Have you noticed? What about the plastic in our oceans? Is there something you can do? Take a Sherlock Holmesian approach to life. Think about what you see through your own eyes—observe, analyze, and deduce—to help yourself, your peers, the environment, and the world.

I think it the ideal place for intensive study. I'm a science student and with the amount of work I'm typically burdened with (because the science program is no joke), its nice to find solace in the forest surrounding the campus. IThe campus itself is relatively quiet, it feels very private from outside traffic, and it allows you the breathing room to calm your mind and senses. The faculty I've encountered are some of the best teachers I've ever had the priveledge to be taught by. They're adaptable, and most importantly, masters of their discipline.

That there isn't very much job diversity. If you're expecting to find work, you will, but it probably won't be work where you'll be passionate about. There is also not much on the dining menu for vegans or preople with allergens despite there being a deliberate "no worries" section in the school cafeteria.

Dejonnee

The Evergreen State College does not grade it's students via the GPA system, additonally, the student is free to study individually should they prefer personal education over classroom settings. This institution works very closely with local and international grassroots organizations, as well as governmental and military affiliations.

Dear Dee, By this time you're set on going into the military to raise funds for school, which will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. The world is big, very big Dee, and it's waiting for you to explore it; but take this warning to heart. We have come from humble beginnings: the worst neighborhoods in Oakland, murders and gun violence surrounding us, but we endured to rise above it all. College was always referred as a "way-out", and although it brough you our of misery and violence, the journey has only begun. College life is much like your experience in the military: you'll meet people from different countries, travel, challenge your perspective and gain new insights. When you leave the military, transfer that attitude while you study at Evergreen, and remember your humble beginnings. You'll transform from sailor to student; from ships to lecture halls, so continue to sail on through to your graduation.

A prospective greener student would be environmentally and socio-economically conscious, willing to explore all aspects of college life. Art and music has deep roots at Evergreen; however science, mathematics and literature has a growing community among the students.

Amelia

Students sign up for one program that can last one, two or three quarters. Each program covers an aspect of various areas of study, occasionally combining them for a new look at the material. Essentially, each student has only one class, which allows them to get a more in-depth look at the subject matter. At the end of the quarter, teachers provide an evaluation of the student instead of a letter grade and have a conference with the student to review the evaluation.

Look up Evergreen State College and talk about it with the counselor. Don't worry about math, or science or history, because you won't have to deal with them there. The campus is amazing and you're going to love it there. Also, a mini fridge and microwave are a bit less optional then you think, at least for you. Trust me on that. There will be a fair amount of writing stuff, even in a theater class, so be prepared for that and don't let the internet eat up all your time.

Dealing with and ensuring you have all necessary paperwork and have spoken to all the necessary people for switching programs, dropping a program, receiving or returning finacial aid, etc. can sometimes be difficult and recuire a bit of running back and forth between offices. However, that is mostly time consuming. In addition, people who prefer the structure of a standard university or college may not be as comfortable at Evergreen, as a large majority of the learning is student driven.

Dawniella

I would assure myself that spending a year at community college does not make you a failure; it means you're collecting the monetary means to attend a 4 year university and pursue your dreams. I would also assure myself that graduating at 16 does not make you the "odd one out" or a "nerd." It gives you a little extra time to work towards your goals. Lastly, I would remind myself that without a strong academic background, all of your efforts in the theatrical arts will be for naught. An equitable division of your time is key this upcoming year.

Jordan

You know some things, but you don't know everything. You are about to embark on one of the most intellectually and emotionally formative experiences of your life. I recently came across a research article about the role emotion plays in the degree to which our memories retain vivid detail; college is an experience you will never forget. Keep your mind open and work hard. I know that last year one of your teachers warned you, "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out." In college, there is no way to prevent this from happening. Please remember that the real learning happens within the process of putting your fallen-out brains back together again. You'll leave completely new, with the philosophical training to ask questions no one else knew could be asked. You'll penetrate the hearts and minds of the most wooden personalities. Above all else, trust your intuition. Always. In high school you were told to ignore it. But in college you'll find that your intuition is your unique contribution to every project, interaction, gesture, and relationship. You'll learn the world wouldn't be the same without it. Nor without you.

This is the most frustrating, yet most valuable aspect of an Evergreen education: You absolutely need to be (a) passionate about what you study, and (a) highly motivated and self-directed.

tracie

That college is very important.I would make sur i went back to college sooner and not goofed off , that way i had a carrer sooner. I would have had a chance to support my family better.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.