Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Brittani

Wow... what would I tell myself?! I think most importantly I would tell myself not to worry, and that college and life are going to turn out better than you ever expected! I would stress the importance of not trying to fit in and be someone you know you aren't, because the people you will meet down the road are going to be true friends and definitely worth the wait. You really need to relax a little and realize that, although you're a smart and academically talented individual, your GPA and getting into the most academically competative, private college available, isn't the world. Take the time to appreciate the little things, and don't take the experiences that life (and those presented through Evergreen) throws your way for granted. Be open and accepting of change. Be passionate about school and your future... don't take the easy way out. Realize that your future salery isn't everything, and shouldn't determine your academic choices. Don't stress about not coming in with a declared major, IT WILL CHANGE! Keep up the good work, staying academically focused and determined WILL pay off :)

Anyone who: wants a highly specialized or focused degree, is unwilling/uncomfortable working in group settings, is opposed to seminar and academic debate, is uncomfortable with those who live/practice alternative lifestyles, is uninterested or unconscious about environmental sustainability, is too conservative (both politically and socially), or unwilling to accept highly diverse and open opinions would not be a good fit for Evergreen.

Individuals looking to apply should be hard working and driven, able to handle academic independence and challenging coursework, accepting of a diverse community, and open to experiencing life in a more unconventional way!

MissJesse

To help others help themselves by providing options, resoruces, support, and understanding toward higher education in the school setting and problems that we face today as a whole to resolve crisis, giving knowledge toward your career so that you maybe successful in your profession, to show you how to work and collaborate as a team member and communicate effectively when speaking to the public.

Evergreen is committed to providing students with an interdisciplinary, reality-based, community-responsive liberal arts education. The curriculum integrates students' life experiences and goals with an emphasis on diverse cultural perspectives provides a unique opportunity for students to go into local communities and engage in research, education and problem-solving projects that are beneficial to communities and students. It offers students the ability to customize their program to meet specific academic and career goals, in a liberal arts program. The college engages in meaningful study and collective action for the purpose of making positive and lasting changes in America.

To not give up, seek help and to ask question when you are not sure. It does not mean you are inadequate, but you are preparing yourself for what is to come for what lies ahead of you in your career also education. We are here to support one another so we can make the right decision for our generation to come not just for ourselves. We are starting and setting a solid foundation for our generation to come after us therefore we need to be educated in the right manner so, we can be able to stand. Speak out for what is right because you may be the only voice a person hears. Never be afraid. It only takes one person to make a change but in order to do so, we must do our research, provide facts for the information we are presenting and stand accountable. Be open minded to the information you are receiving and learn how to use the feedback you are being given for the person who is educating you only wants you to succeed. Remember to continue to press toward the mark of success and we are all winners .

deborah

diverse and positive for the most part though as is the Tacoma campus is small and white is a minority.

Follow your heart; jobs are means to ends, part of the life process (journey) but not the guidelight. Try to focus on a meaningful work path that supports your true nature. Jobs from the outside are not often long lasting therefore develop your education and life from the mainspring of your passions and go forth with mindfulness. Try to be aware that what is delivered for major consumption may not be good for you. Explore experiment and grow from your heart, the mind and body need attention but your heart speaks truth, go into it and allow it to have its voice. We are in a paradigm shift, be a positive pathmaker.

Because of size it is difficult to have a huge variety of classes. however as they retain an interdisciplinary approach to classes the connectivity is greater ie real life connections that are so necessary in building sustainable lifestyles and the means to support them.

Kathryn

This is a place where education is focused on learning, research and sustainable living practices; no matter if you're interested in art, science or the unknown, Evergreen produces thinkers.

I would advise my highschool self to take some time to find out what it was I wanted to learn. Do a few self assesments to figure out which direction I would like to go in. When I was a high school senior, I attempted college as it was "the thing to do". Now as I return to school, I have a firm idea of what I would like to know and that college is a place to learn things. I would tell myself that an institution of higher learning is a research facility, with classes and faculty designed and dedicated to help advance your knowledge, not just earn a piece of paper that says you can get a better paying job. I would also let myself know that education is a way of life and not a four year period of time one must trudge through to suit society or reach a certain income level. Today's Kathryn would tell yesterday's Kathryn to always learn, no matter what.

If a student is not ready to focus entirely on forward movement and self education they likely will struggle to succeed. The independant learning styles at Evergreen not only encourage students to take responsibility for themselves and their knowledge but guides them to accept these attributes as part of a successful life.

Peter

Work with people, and you'll know that it's not just for their sake, but for yours as well. You'll probably be able to put things in a better perspective, and you definitely won't worry as much. I don't think it's that good of an idea to talk to yourself when you're from the future, considering you're thinking about different things, but if I learned anything from Bill and Teds excellent adventure, and the first two quarters of this school year, I'd say that being active is it's own reward, and working with people opens up a lot more possiblities for you to be active. In that frameline (that's a word isn't it), I'd tell my high school self to relate myself to the people around myself, and to tell the princesses that I said hi.

The school isn't heavily funded. The school is a state funded school, but it can very easily lose support due to it's avid activism on any subject imaginable. I don't think that affects morale of activist groups on campus, but it may have some deteriorating consequences on the status of the school in the eyes of the , further creating distance between the school and the community that it serves. It's an endless spiral-down of a problem that seems like it has to be constantly being handled with care.

Freeloaders who just try to get through college, so they can secure themselves a job; who don't talk to people; who don't come to class even though they can afford the books and can read the material in time; who don't even go to parties, or events where they can feel comfortable and make friends with the Evergreen community. If it was possible for such a person to exist, he shouldn't come here, but he probably should come here anyway, because Evergreen accepts anyone, and if any college could change him, it would be this one.

crystal

I would tell myself to concentrate more on studying and less on socializing. It is important to socialize but it is more important to allow sufficient study time. If possible, I would tell myself to not work as many hours to allow for more study time. I would also tell myself to take advantage of study groups.

Justin

Narrative evaluations as opposed to a simplistic grade system. Students work is summarized in narrative form per quarter, or length of the program. Classes are taught in program form as opposed to in individual topic section which creates a very interdisciplinary approach to the topics at hand. It also means you are with the same teachers and students for the whole year at times as opposed to just that term.

Seeing as I did a running start style program my junior senior years of high school I was already at a college full time. The biggest thing I could have said though is that school is more than just school, especially with the sciences. It has to be everything you do to be the best you can, but you also cannot lose the essence of who you were to begin with. The transition from living at home to living on my own has let me manage my own time to be the best I can in my studies, while still giving me that time required to keep me who I am and explore as many other subjects as possible. Taking a break is the most valuable skill I could have given myself during my senior year in highschool to better my studies.

The small number of students in the sciences. There is a lack of students who are on consistently busy schedules because most are going for BA degrees, and Evergreen only gives out sub 100 BS degrees every year. I'm in the minority of students with the busy schedule, plus midterms and finals.

Charles

My classmates are largely the privilieged caucasian children of the middleclass, though they are also largely open minded and open to expanding their cultural awareness.

I would tell myself that things get better. I think I would encourage myself to still join the military, but I would encourage him to do so with a plan for transitioning directly into college upon completion of his contract, rather than wasting time. I would impress upon him the urgency of getting his schooling done early so as to not be still working on a Bachelor's degree in his 30s, as is the current situation. I would also advise him that romantic entanglements are not nearly as important as they may seem at the heady age of 18, and that keeping a level head and eye towards the future would take him a lot farther than any other pursuit he could get wrapped up in.

The best thing about The Evergreen State College is the willingness of the administration, faculty and student body to craft programs that are radically interdisciplinary, exposing students and faculty to a breadth of concepts and information that would be compartmentalized in a more mainstream campus.

Susan

Focus on the big picture, not individual classes or interests alone. Going to college is more than getting a degree, it is learning how to take the skills you learn and apply them in fields that may not seem to be immediately apparent, and develop enough depth to your studies that you can adapt to changes in technology and the economy.

I can't think of anything that wasn't covered, or answered, in the individual counseling, academic meetings and fairs before I started.

Self-motivated, teamwork oriented people who are cooperative education and inter-discipline oriented with an interest in active community participation.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.