Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Crystal

I would tell myself, Even though you come from this town that has proven historically to be a dead end, you have a chance to take a different path. Even though your parents kicked you out when you were 17, you’re still going to make it. One day your family is going to look back at you and see how hard you worked to get where you are now, on your own. You don’t need anyone’s help to get where you are going to be. You have to believe in yourself more, know that you can do this on your own! Start now! Don’t wait the next 6 years before you figure it out! Do it now! Just because no one else went to college doesn’t mean you don’t have to. To get where you want to be in life you are the one who you can count on to make it happen! NO ONE ELSE! You have a chance that will make it clear to see what you should be doing in life, get started on the path that takes you there now! Don’t wait!

Christopher

Don't get stressed out about college being too hard. It's a lot like high school, just without parents.

At times there is too much freedom, if you are not self motivated enough, you will not do well at Evergreen.

Zoe

Travel!! Don't worry about trying to make college work right away, wait until you have something you want to use it for. If you want to take some classes, great, but only choose the ones you want and make sure to finish them. Dont load up on pre-requisites and then drop them, there is no reason, pre-requisites are a waste of time. Dont buy into that prescribed method of learning. This is your education, you should be using it to learn what you want to learn, so you can do something that matters to you. And if you dont know what you want to learn yet, then for the love of God do not just waste time living and working! TRAVEL!!!

Emerald

It truly is not as scary as it seems. It is only nerve-wracking because you think you're alone in this. You are not alone in this. There is probably one thousand other kids within the confines of this school ground that are jus as panicky as you. Do homework, and don't do it late. prepare in advance. get to know the people in your building. Not only does it build community, but it also keeps you safe- you know who's living there and who is not. next, Get Involved. Keeping yourself busy with anything like theater, sports, clubs, etc will keep you looking forward to something fun during the week, and help you make new friends. Make time for yourself. Don't be afraid to lay back and relax once a week to get a hold of your sanity. Stay healthy, because that is the key to homework and doing well in school-fruits veggies, and excercise.

The type of perso that wouldn't really want to be at this school must be close-minded. Extremely close-minded to racism, to politics, to economics, to gender, to power, to privilege, and to people. It is very hard for me to think that someone who is close minded can actually succeed here. At this school, everyone is building community in one way or another, and with that, you learn about people and learn who they are. I don't think close minded people would dig that.

Courtney

As a senior in high school students are foolish about their academic futures. There are some students that spend their entire lives preparing for college , but then there are others who are more indignant. I fall into the latter category. As a Psychology undergraduate, I learned our brains are not fully formed until our early twenties, how are we able to make decisions about our futures if we are not sure who we are yet? If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to choose a different major. I should have evaluated the economy and picked a major related to a field with high predicted job growth. Now I am 25 years old and am attending community college to get my LPN for nursing. Having my wisdom I do now, I would have evaluated the economy better and picked a more financially-appropriate major. Job experience is what employers are looking for. It is never too late to go back to school, however, the sooner the better. While I appreciate the wisdom I have gained, a part of me wishes I could go back and share this insight with my obstinate 18-year-old self.

Rachael

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self i would tell myself to work harder in class and go to school more. I would also tell myself to develop better study habits. Athough I'm doing great in college I believe this advice would still help me do better, not just in school but in life. Because even though I can take shortcuts in school, developing these habits will put me on a better and more fulfilling path.

Nathan

vibrant interdisciplinary collaborative acedemic community.

vibrant interdisciplinary collaborative acedemic community.

Read lots of books. even in the summer. they will open worlds to you.

I knew what i needed to. An incomming student should know that they will be taking significant responcibility for their own education.

Nathaniel

Pick a school that is right for you. Go experience the school, talk to professors, talk to current students....try to read a book while you are there to see how easy/ hard it is to study there. Once a school that you enjoy is chosen, take it seriously. The more time, effort and interest that you put into your school work the more opportunities you will have to do the interesting real world applications of that subject that you are interested in.

The more that you put into your education the more you get out of it.

A person who has a closed mind and is undriven.

Cameron

Small classes, amazing faculty, intense, focused classes.

Small classes, amazing faculty, intense, focused classes.

I would go back and descibe to myself how hard it will be to live as an artist. I have the feeling I would still have done it all the same though.

How it can't really help you decide what you want to do.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.