Olympia, WA
The Evergreen State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The Evergreen State College

Ruth

Everything - the way programs are set up, the way classes are taught, the general mindset.

It's nothing like any other school, but every single student is there for a reason; students and teachers alike are unique.

Margaret

There are no grades. Each student gets to build their own adademic plan and the more involved a student is in creating that plan, the better they tend to do.

I would still take a year off between high school and college, though I would find something more fulfilling in the community to do instead of just working. I would remind myself that I go to school for me, not anyone else. I would tell myself that it's important to be an active part of the community you live in and to take advantage of more internship opportunities. There isn't much I would change about the experience I've had in college, but I would like to remind myself that, even though education is important, mental and physical health are just as important. There is no need to be stressed about work that I have chosen to do.

Self motivated learners and people who want to study more than one subject.

Ashleigh Charde Craye

Start the application process early and really take the time to read over the different degrees offered and soul search to decide what degree would truly suit me the best and provide me with the most job-fulfillment in the future, since those that enjoy their job tend to be the ones that really succeed and move up in their field of employment. Take the time to visit with a school advisor to help you create the best plan of action in starting the college education experience is another piece of advice I would give myself.

Brianne

Knowing what I know now I would say, "There is no way for you to know what you want to do for the rest of your life at 18. Take it slow and talk to a college advisor to make sure you sign up for classes that transfer. Show up for class. How dependable you are matters even in class because even though you don't get suspended for skipping you are going to miss something important. When you come to class don't be late and don't dress like a bum. Your professors can be a good source of information and you may need them for a recommendation later. Make lots of new friends. Friends in general are good for your psychosocial well being but they can also make getting through college a little easier. They can be your 'study buddy' or even a foot into the door for career opportunities. Lastly, be confident. Being confident means you have to know what are talking about; so study and speak up when you know the answer and get people to pay attention to you. Your greatest asset is just to be yourself."

Rebekah

If I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have no advice to give in regards to the transition into college life. Certainly, there are other paths I could have taken, but at the moment, I feel as though I am on the path that is best for me. All that could have been advised is to "work diligently," but of course, I already knew that. The best aspect of life is the journey where you figure out who you are meant to be and what you are meant to do.

Abigail

I would tell myself that a gap year [a year off between high school and college] is seriously underrated. The time to sit back and really think about how you want to go about advancing your future is something that I cannot emphasize enough. I've found that it's harder to motivate myself right out of high school because it's just "more of the same," whereas if you've taken time off to work or volunteer, you're refreshed and better able to focus and learn.

The ability to mold your own studies -- that you are in charge of everything you learn. Everybody on staff is so excited to help you get the classes you need to be able to do what you truly want to do in life.

Anna

Dear Me. Please work as hard as you can. You will be learning, changing your mind, and discovering your true passions, and no one expects you to have it all figured out the first day of class. This process takes many years. You are a consumer of your education, so expect a lot of your faculty, your school, and yourself. Only with high expectations can you get the most out of this experience. Please don't let competitiveness get in the way of true learning. Work with your friends and peers. Share your skills, talents, and support, so that you all may grow into wiser human beings. Take every opportunity to use your learning in the real world, and have an open, flexible mind that allows you to realize that you may be wrong a lot of the time, and the grace to accept that there often are no right answers. Please educate yourself on life's necessities: filing taxes, navigating health care, job searching, etc. and know that there are many more resources available to you than it may appear. Use these resources and find mentors and advisors that you feel close to and that inspire you.

I wish I had known how to navigate the course catalog better. The programs are stuctured differently. Once I figured it out, I knew how to best take advantage of all the opportunities and interdiciplinary learning.

The school administration seems slightly patch-work disorganized at times.

Haley

Eccentric and out-of-the-box thinkers.

Eccentric and out-of-the-box thinkers.

Do well in high school, just because you can go to a community college no matter your gpa, doesn't mean you shouldn't do well and apply to a 4 year university. It's such a different experience, dorm life, living on campus, being a freshman... take school seriously and apply yourself. And travel!

How much of my education at the this college is up to me-you really have to know what you want to study to attend Evergreen. Faculty is always able and willing to help, however you really make your own path.

Heather

Having no grades, just written evaluations and their team-taught interdisciplinary programs.

Save money by going to a community college first and then transitioning into a 4 year school. It doesn't sound as fun, but in the long run you will not regret saving money and reducing your end-of-college debt.

Small classes, lots of one-on-one attention from faculty members. The campus is also quite beautiful, Olympia is a pretty town.

The Evergreen State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.