The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

Instead of grades, we recieved written pages about our preformance and participiation. A B in history could mean anything; a written evaluation can't hide anything about you or how you did in the class. It really shows who you are, how you are in school, and gives speficic examples of how you completed the course requirements.

What I love about this school is that their are no grades or gpa's, thus eliminating that horrible competition I felt in high school. The evaluation method is a more in-depth way of assessing what one learns. The people and environment are fabulous here as well. It's a safe, gorgeous place to learn and make friends.

The fact that there are no grades, merit is determined by your level or growth and work with course work and the ability to communicate well with professors and peers. There are narrative evaluations of students that describe progress throughout the quarter.

The Evergreen State College is unique because they don't give out grades. Instead they do evaluations about your work in each program. Also, there isn't individual classes. There are programs that study a few different subjects but is all combined into one.

The education that you recieved is weighted on what you put into the classes you take. You are responsible for your education and you get out what you put into it. The diverse people make for a well rounded and informed experience when at Evergreen.

I'd like to see Alfred Hamilton's Farm Billboard (now Mike's) on I-5 read the following: SAVE THE QUADRIVIUM We created a cult called "Greener." Mariolotry catholicized it and now it's got a creed of its own. RESUSCITATE HOUSE BILL No. 596

If you want to study something specific I would recommend going to a different sort of college, but if you are looking to find yourself without all the hassle of backpacking around Europe than by all means come to this bizarre campus.

Evergreen classes are taught using the socratic method of using questions to find the greater answer to the issue at hand. The professors all know their students on a first name basis, and often meet with them after class.

Evergreen promotes hands on learning, such as the research program I am a part of. It allows for real world experience as a student. This helps to prep students for higher learning and evaluate potential careers.

We have multidisciplinary programs, rather than one-subject classes. You can guide your own program of study and even create contracts with professors to study in-depth what interests you.