The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

The Evergreen State College offers a chance to really put a lot of yourself into your own education. Your success and failure is completely dependent on how much work and dedication you are willing to dedicate to your work. Going her has allowed me to work alongside other students who actually care about their education. Furthermore, the interdisciplinary approach that Evergreen favors allows me to lean how things like how Biology, Chemistry, and Ethics all tie in together in the field of medicine. There is a pioneering spirit here that cannot be found in many other American Schools.

I tell them that I love the cultural and unique aspect of The Evergreen State College. Every student and faculty member are so different and excepting of each other's beliefs and lifestyles. There are also a lot of cultural events and speakers that occur on campus that are extremely inspiring and enjoyable. The classes are also very interesting and diverse. Not only is the personality of the school amazing, but the learning set up is too. Instead of grades at the end of the quarter, the teacher gives out evaluations of how you did in the class.

There is so much to brag about! Evergreen is so environmentally friendly and yet still is always trying to become more self-sustaining. The students and professors are so enthusiastic about what they're doing...everyone wants to help everyone else succeed. But most of all, as a science student, Evergreen provides amazing opportunities that many graduate students don't even recieve, from working on real research, to becoming familiar with professionals in the field, to taking trips to national conferences.

I am proud to be a student of the Evergreen State College. We are a school full of hopeful, open-minded, critical thinkers. The curriculum is inherently interdisciplinary, allowing students to progress in ways they wouldn't have at a traditional western school. It builds a well-rounded student body, who then take their knowledge, and are able to apply problem solving across a multitude of real-world issues. We are not judged on the level of memorization, but the application of skills in various fields.

When I tell people about Evergreen, I talk first talk about how there are no grades, but rather evaluations. What I brag about is the open and accepting campus and student population, and the integration of so many subjects and ideas into one program. I tell them about how great it is to go to a college where I actually care about my curriculum and learning because I am able to ask it questions and get what I want out of it. I will never regret my decision to go to this institution of higher learning.

Evergreen has a strong sense of social justice, "Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve." I am proud of the fact that I attended synthesized classes from teachers who are culturally diverse and accomplished in their field. This is an alternative school for people who learn alternatively. The school is meant to challenge you mentally, emotionally, and get you out of your comfort zone. It accomplishes this in spades. I learned the most in my whole life attending Evergreen. I am proud to be a Greener!

My friends from high-school tease me a bit for going to college here, and call me a hippie (which I am not, they don't even know what that means). They think it's a stoner school where you can get away with anything; well you can't. You can go to any other college, get a C- in a class and still receive all your credit. If an Evergreen student does C- quality work, it's totally embarassing! Not only do you not GET all your credit, but you get an essay from your professer all about it.

How laid back everyone is. Not in a bad way though. Everyone's easy to talk to and I feel like I have been treated to all sorts of different ways of learning and people. I feel as if my mind has been expanded in a variety of different ways both socially and academically through school work and social groups. The interdisciplinary schooling system also prepares well-rounded students who are able to make connections between many things throughout their lives.

When I talk about my school and what I love most about it is the fact that I feel that I have finally found my place in education and that I am really starting to find out who I am. School has always been hard for me. So this year I have really worked hard to find who I am and what I want my education to be about. Evergreen has given that to me.

The forest. I tell everyone that I live in a forest, with my own beach access. I also brag about not having grades but instead getting helpful and informative evaluations that will help me to become a better student, and intensive 16-credit programs that allow you to really focus on your subject and get to know your class.