The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

Students who are interested in a more holistic approach to education, one which concentrates on the intersections between academic disciplines, ,would find an education at Evergreen fulfilling. For example, instead of individual classes, each with their own narrow focus on economics, American history and gender studies, at Evergreen these are all a part of one program, taken all together. One can then see how economics effects history and the status of women in American culture, for instance. Evergreen also offers more opportunities for individual and self-directed study.

Someone who is willing to be open-minded, challenged, and put forth a great deal of effort. Someone willing to work collaboratively as well as individually, think "outside the box," be introspective, studious, and opinionated. You should be willing to be a leader as well as be comfortable with being part of a team. There aren't sororities or fraternities, but you will form tremendous bonds with your fellow students regardless, as long as you open yourself up to it. You get out of Evergreen what you put into it--nothing less but certainly a great deal more.

The Evergreen State College is the perfect place for someone who isn't sure of what exactly they want to pursue as their major. It's a great school for people who are self-motivated and wants to explore different areas of knowledge. It's also a good place for those interested in current affairs and environmental issues, and for students who may want to design their own areas of study and combine areas into a self-structured class. People who are interested in a non-traditional school system will be interested in Evergreen.

Someone who: wants to be immersed in a liberal environment, is passionate about the environment/farming/nature, wants to work on a farm/intern at a farm, interested in the natural sciences, likes to have discussions in small groups, will thrive in a small class setting, wants a relationship with their professor and/or classmates, wants to live in a small city, interested in radical views, making a difference, being a part of change. Someone who can educate themselves, guide themselves...a self-starter.

you should attend this school if you either know how to put together you're own curriculum (how to detect and follow your own interests) or you feel comfortable finding support. evergreen has lots of great support people to help people plan their curriculum, but seeing these people isn't mandatory and so someone who isn't motivated to ask for help may just not get it and evergreen could feel too open-ended.

A wide varirty of people should attend this college, that's one thing that's great about it! I would suggest this college to anyone who generally has a liberal outlook, who cares for the environment, someone who is interested in changing the world for the better and who WANTS to further their education. The person that thrives here is eclectic, creative, unique, independent, revolutionary, and driven.

Someone who doesn't think in the traditional sense of college. Someone who does not conform to mainstream culture, and someone who can think for themselves and direct thier own learning and shape thier own degree, which Evergreen allows you to do. A very self-motivated and directed person should attend this college, otherwise they could easily get distracted with Olympia's drug and music culture.

Someone who is interested in a flexible, responsive, dynamic and fulfilling education. Someone who believes in the power of discussion and reasoning to solve problems. Someone who finds a passion in living and working in a place very much connected to the natural world with a focus on living in harmony.

Evergreen is a haven for alternative thinkers. Anyone who didn't fit in at a regular school would fit in here. Anyone who thinks, act, or looks different can find their niche here. It's for independent and responsible types, as you have to be self-motivated in order to succeed at Evergreen.

A prospective greener student would be environmentally and socio-economically conscious, willing to explore all aspects of college life. Art and music has deep roots at Evergreen; however science, mathematics and literature has a growing community among the students.