The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

The school has raised its acceptance rating, creating some of the largest classes to ever come through Evergreen. Not only does this overpopulate the programs and make it even more difficult to get into the courses you desire, it turns Evergreen into the backup school for many students who enroll after being rejected from another school. Those students are not here for what Evergreen has to offer and therefore are demolishing the environment, community, and goals of the school. This also has made the on-campus housing situation evolve from livable to out of control in just three years.

The way it's set up, students can really either not apply themselves and still get the minimum requirements for credit done, or work really hard in order to fulfill the 40 hours a week WA state requirement. Some teachers give so much work that the students have no choice to do at least 40 hours a week, though, and it can be stressful and difficult to do anything outside of class. It really depends on the professor and course, though.

At the Evergreen State College, we have a such a unique way of approaching issues, we sometimes become clouded in our own thinking. The real world is often times different than our perceptions, and such, the problem-solving taking place can be unrealistic at times. This is not to say that these solutions are not practical, but only that they are often times not politically viable.

Some frustrating things about my school is the limited availability of courses. Most courses are set up into "programs" which are either taught once every other year, or once a year. Most programs that are pertaining to your degree are ready to be taken during your upper classmen years, but for the lower classmen students many programs will help towards these programs.

I am a very punctual person and like things to be on time. Evergreen has a different time that I am not used to and find it a bit frustrating at times. Also sometimes there is a lack of communication that they think you understand but different teachers in the program will tell you different things. I have ended up having to take a leap of faith and just do my thing.

The most frustrating aspect of the Evergreen State College is some of the students who come here to say they've gone to college and nothing more. There are many students on campus who just want to hang around and not do much (if any) work. Evergreen is a wonderful school if you are motivated and ambitious, but it is unfortunate how many of the students are not.

The most frustrating this about Evergreen was that I had to sign a promissory note every trimester in the Financial Aid office. Not once did anyone ever offer me good financial counseling or advice. I think the college should have taken a larger role in financial guidance for freshmen students, in fact, for all students.

The small number of students in the sciences. There is a lack of students who are on consistently busy schedules because most are going for BA degrees, and Evergreen only gives out sub 100 BS degrees every year. I'm in the minority of students with the busy schedule, plus midterms and finals.

As someone who does not drink, smoke, or do any drugs, it has been rather annoying being around so many people who do partake in those activities. I feel like it takes away from the sense of focus here. But there are substance free and quiet housing options, so its no all that bad.

The campus is very non tradtional, and the way the classes are is completely different from how you're used to school being. The setup is not for everyone, but a lot of people flourish. If you live on campus I think it's easier to make friends, versus living off campus.