The Evergreen State College

« See more reviews of The Evergreen State College

Something that I wish I knew before coming to this school would be that there are no grades given. It has been difficult adjusting to the different academic setting here. Especially being the first generation at this school to write an academic statement. It feels good to be one of the first to try something new here, but at times overwhelming. There is nothing one can do but accept this type of education and make the best of it. Learn to adapt because not everywhere that one sets foot on will find to ones own pleasures satisfied.

I wish I had known that despite the gems, there is a lot of stupid bullshit you have to wade through. The administration is not on your side, although the will put on a nice face and pretend they are. Everything cool about Evergreen exists because of student (and some faculty) pressure and creativity; the administration is constantly trying to mainstream the college. Many classes are not worth your time, althought, like I said, there are some good ones. Get off campus, check out the rest of Olympia and the surrounding area.

I wish I had know what deep connections I was about to make. My original plan was to return home every weekend, visit the old crowd. I never expected to find a group of such caring, open individuals. Whether in class or out, I discovered people with the same goals and fears, friends with whom I could dance or laugh or make a fool of my self. With the same dedication to personal learning and growth, we bonded more quickly than I could have imagined. If I had known this, I certainly wouldn?t have been shy the first week.

Although it is emphasized that they have a non-traditional way of teaching, I wish that I had researched more about the way that their school year is structured - you can only take one "program" a quarter, so your choice of classes to take is actually in some ways more limited than it is at a traditional school. You might get stuck in a program that teaches one area you're very interested in, but another subject you dislike. Also, their on-campus living situation leaves much to be desired.

That Olympia is a boring shitty small town & there is NOTHING to do here. Also Evergreen is full of hippies, lots of people who smoke pot and play jam music & other things I dont like. Though I am very liberal, it is difficult to find like -minded people interested in avant garde art & literature and music. Most people like really "bohemian" hippy stuff which I find to be an absolute bore.

I wished I would have realised that not every program was offered year to year. It's usually only the classes that are proven popular in a given quarter that get the priority. So, I would make sure that if you come with a certain program in mind, it would be best for you to contact the professor to make certain that it will be available when your first quarter starts.

Before attending Evergreen, I wish I had been educated on the opportunities available at this college. Through the time I have been here, I have been figuring out how to get the absolute most out of my school, and what it has to offer. I feel that if you know how a school works, you can use its facilities to your benefit, and get your moneys worth.

I wish I had known more about the atmosphere and what being and living on campus was like. Because I am from so far away, I did not visit the campus before hand and knew very little about Evergreen. I wish the Evergreen website was easier to navigate so I would have known more about all Evergreen has to offer.

That there isn't very much job diversity. If you're expecting to find work, you will, but it probably won't be work where you'll be passionate about. There is also not much on the dining menu for vegans or preople with allergens despite there being a deliberate "no worries" section in the school cafeteria.

The on campus dining (the Greenery) puts on a show for prospective students, but it's really not very good food. Also, be sure to really think about whether or not you want to be graded using evaluations--a lot of people think "Awesome, no grades" but evaluations are pretty subjective.