The Master's University and Seminary

« See more reviews of The Master's University and Seminary

I would recommend students and parents research nine schools that interest them based on degrees offered, school size, school reputation, family tradition, quality of education, and extra curricular activities. Then visit the three best and spend at least one night in the dorms, go for two if you can. Visit classes and discover the atmosphere and nature of the school. Also eat in the cafeteria and attend extra-curricular activities and sports events. Scout out the campus facilities and meet several teachers in fields you anticipate studying. Finally study all the students that you meet and ask yourself this question. Do I want to be like he or she when you graduate? Like a lump of clay you will be molded and shaped through your experiences in college. Therefore pick wisely. Your friends in college will sculpt your life and you will be friends with many of them throughout life. Parents, give your students the choice in the decision. However come along side them and help them decide. Be an helpful advisor, but leave the choice up to them. Also, working through college is tough but a great learning experience as one has to learn to balance all their responsibilities.

Soak up these last moments of childhood, spend time with your family - never, ever take them for granted. But face the reality you are becoming an adult - it is exciting, but unless you shoulder the responsibility with opportunity, it is wasted. Go to class. Appreciate professors. Love to learn. Never take learning lightly. Dream enormous dreams, but unless you work hard, they'll never come true. All that said, college community will shape you as much as academics. Find great friends, spend time with them - study with them! When you're tempted to make a choice you know is wrong, get out right away. Forgiveness may be easier to get than permission, but your choices now are shaping you into the adult you will be for the rest of your life. Don't waste the time. Study hard, embrace responsibility, enjoy life - it isn't all about a GPA. It's about changing the lives of people around you, and the people who change yours. You will be a person you never imagined on graduation day - remember that when tests are hard, and the relationships difficult...it is worth it. Nothing is impossible, but opportunity only comes to the faithful.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would have a few tips for the college life. First of all, I would advise my younger self to ask more questions my freshman year. People do not expect newbies to know everything- they are just waiting to help. Asking librarians for help on papers, financial aid counselors for scholarship direction, teachers for study help, even upper classmen for college street smarts-- these people can help you keep from making stupid mistakes. I also would tell myself to not worry so much about being cool and popular at college. The truth is- college is so different from high school. Everyone has friends at college regardless of how cool you were in high school. I would also tell myself that teachers are not your enemies. They genuinely want students to succeed. Lastly, I would tell myself to not freak out about the load of work. It seems scary at first when you get your syllabus or realize you have three papers due the same weekend-- but it always gets done, and if you take it one day at a time, everything will turn out okay.

I would tell myself of the many things I will learn. I would make sure that I were prepared mentaly for the many things I will learn. Growing closer to the Lord was the most important thing I will ever learn. This college drew me closer to the Lord and even maybe helped save me from eternal death in hell. Along with other things it taught me how to deal with evangelism. That is why we are here on this earth is to defend ourselves against all evil and tell others of Christ love. That is what this college teaches. I would tell myself of the many opportunites that I get to learn like studying abroad, getting to know wonderful professors and fellow believers. The ministrey opportunites also include helping the people in the community and telling of our Lord and Savior who can save us. I would also tell myself to make good friends which will last a life time. There are also believers there to encourage along with the willing professors who are there to help you through hard times you have in college. I would tell myself not to worry but trust in the Lord who saves.

If I could possibly return to My High School Senior Year , I would start off with the First day School . I would take in consideration of the limited of time I actually had and self discipline myself to keep focused in School and to let go of the "Cool Kid" Mentality I once had . Times were Rough back then and Communication was a downfall in My home . I would first work out My communication problem with My parents in Hope that things could possibly progress more sufficiently in ways that can be beneficial to My academic matters . I would buckle down on studying more oftenly and lean myself towards the beauty of what Education is truly like and what it can do for myself and for others . I would decrease my time with friends and put that effort into homework , studying and family . I messed up earlier in My high school years but , If there was a possible way of transitioning back to those days , I would correct my mistakes and MAYBE I could have Graduated High School in CALIFORNIA and not Hawai'i . I would've pushed myself to do make myself & my family proud .

"No good thing will God withhold from those who walk with integrity." -Psalm 84:11. Before coming to The Master's college two years ago prayers of a place to know God better and be surrounded by his children were on my heart and mind. Though I didn't think it was possible for such a place to exist and though I certainly did not expect it, God seems to have a way of working things out more wonderfully than we could imagine and I believe He honored my prayers because they honored Him. TMC is rightly named so because of the divine hand which seems to encompass the place, people and all its happenings. Some refer to us notoriously as the “Master's bubble” because the college is something completely separate from all that surrounds it. As I ponder all the loving fellowship and warm wisdom from genuinely caring professors and comrads over I've received here over the years I'm full of gratitude. After I graduate I know God has good for me and that no other college could have prepared me as well for whatever it is out there as The Master's College has.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to enjoy life! Make the most of every opportunity! Learn all you can! Experience many things! When I was in high school, I was so caught up in getting good grades and the future of college that I forgot what life was all about. My freshman year in college was resultingly very stressful as I continued to try as hard as possible to do perfectly at everything. I wish that I would have realized that while yes, it is important to work extremely hard, it is also crucial that I take advantage of all of the opportunities I have in this stage of my life. I need to get to know wise and experienced professors, to meet new people with their different thoughts and ideas, to travel as much as possible to different culutres, and to try and have an impact on the community around me. In the end, those elements make up the most important aspects of life and those experiences are as equally important to my college education as all the time spent in class and in the library.

College life is different from high school. You have more control over what you study and how to study it. Don't let your personal life get in the way of your education and realize the importance of keeping a schedule. Setting a routine may be dull but it's beneficial mentally, physically, and especially academically. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to ask advice from multiple advisors. Exercise your options and get involved in something fun; just to take yourself away from it all. Don't stop developing yourself as a person or keeping looking for an end point. You will continue to grow and to learn for the rest of your life. College is just one big, fantastic step along the way and be very, very grateful you have the opportunity to attend it. Don't lose sight of the big picture, but also don't look at the big picture so much that you miss all the things happening inside it. Oh, and don't be so hard on yourself. You are the only thing stopping yourself from achieving greatness and you're in control.

My first semester in college made a profound change in how I defined myself and understood life. Given the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior I would offer a challenge. College is a serious matter and is worth working hard for. I knew then that the world was a complicated and dangerous place and some day it would be my turn to enter it without childhood safeties, but where was my place? How do I fit in on the complex scene? I can now answer that such a purposeful position is not something just handed over on someone's eighteenth birthday party, it is created and earned. The freedom is mine to work for what is good or to lay back and watch my life fall apart. So I would challenge my earlier self to consider this as I became frustrated with applications, finances, and rigorous classes. Do I want to become a man of honor? Do I want to help repair the faults of the world that confront me? Yes! Do I want comrades in this crazy world, both to protect and to keep me alive? Yes! Then get to work.

If I could talk to myself one year ago, I'm not sure what I would say. I can hardly put into words all of the things that I have learned over the past six months. The challenges that I have faced in college, both spiritually and academically, are far beyond what I expected. It is hard to remember what I was like last May; I feel like I have changed so much. When I think about myself in high school, there are a few things that I regret, one of which in the lack of time that I invested in my relationship with the Lord. If I could, I would tell myself to invest as much time and energy into the relationship as possible. I realize that if I had been more serious about my walk with Christ then I would have avoided many of the issues that I faced with my friends. I would have also had a better work ethic that would translate to college. It is much harder to form good habits under pressure than to end bad habits in times of ease. I realize that my faith affects every facet of my life at school.