The Master’s University and Seminary Top Questions

Have a Mary Poppins mentality! This is what I would advise myself if I were able to talk to my high school self. No, I do not mean "Let's Go Fly a Kite" instead of doing homework. What I mean is stated in the lyrics of the song, "A Spoon Full of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down," when Mary says, "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun." She goes on to encourage the children in her care to find the fun in their work, and it will be done in a snap. I would go back to my senior high school year and tell myself to find the fun, the adventure, the exhilaration that can be found in learning. I focused far too much on the grades, and it made learning a grind, a project to endure, a task to cross off the list. Learning became a chore rather than a joy. Learning should be another avenue of what we enjoy in life.

Knowing what I know now about college I would go back and tell the high school version of myself that make sure I pay attention to what is going on. I need to stay focus and not let what everyone else is doing because in the end it will not matter where I was but what I did to get there and how I made it. I would remind myself that I need to decide on a degree and stick with it because no matter what I choose to change it to I went back to the original one which is Special Education. By sticking with the degree I want I can finish faster and not have to waste too much money on classes I do not need. In the end there would not be too much I would warn myself about college because the choices I made has helped me becoming the person I am today. Someone who trust people but not too much because they will let you down when you least expect it.

College life is different from high school. You have more control over what you study and how to study it. Don't let your personal life get in the way of your education and realize the importance of keeping a schedule. Setting a routine may be dull but it's beneficial mentally, physically, and especially academically. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to ask advice from multiple advisors. Exercise your options and get involved in something fun; just to take yourself away from it all. Don't stop developing yourself as a person or keeping looking for an end point. You will continue to grow and to learn for the rest of your life. College is just one big, fantastic step along the way and be very, very grateful you have the opportunity to attend it. Don't lose sight of the big picture, but also don't look at the big picture so much that you miss all the things happening inside it. Oh, and don't be so hard on yourself. You are the only thing stopping yourself from achieving greatness and you're in control.

ikehanani

If I could possibly return to My High School Senior Year , I would start off with the First day School . I would take in consideration of the limited of time I actually had and self discipline myself to keep focused in School and to let go of the "Cool Kid" Mentality I once had . Times were Rough back then and Communication was a downfall in My home . I would first work out My communication problem with My parents in Hope that things could possibly progress more sufficiently in ways that can be beneficial to My academic matters . I would buckle down on studying more oftenly and lean myself towards the beauty of what Education is truly like and what it can do for myself and for others . I would decrease my time with friends and put that effort into homework , studying and family . I messed up earlier in My high school years but , If there was a possible way of transitioning back to those days , I would correct my mistakes and MAYBE I could have Graduated High School in CALIFORNIA and not Hawai'i . I would've pushed myself to do make myself & my family proud .

Lynley

When you leave your sheltered hometown and find yourself at your new school away from your parents, please don't decide it is time to start the party. Buckle down, focus for 4-6 more years, finish your degree, and then take your time to party. Your actions caused you to lose a $20,000 scholarship that would have paid for those 4 years of school. Now, almost 20 years later, present me is wanting to send a foot back in time to kick your bottom for being so stupid. Once you finally get your head out of the clouds and realize what you threw away, you will regret your actions for years and years. I am 35 years old and I had the world handed to me on a silver platter and I scoffed at it. Thought I didn't need it. Well, past Lynley, you do.

Kyrsten

High school feels so long ago -even though I am 19. I graduated at 16, even though I wasn't thrilled. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself, a lot of things. For instance, I would tell myself that even though I don't like the idea of going to college that early it'll be good because I never would have the friends I do now, that I should reach out to those around me and love them, that school is going to be hard but I still need to perservere, and that I need to take time to hang out with people. During, my time at community college, all I did was school. But, then my second year at Master's I realized I could take time out of my school and breathe. I hung out with people, sometimes; but even then most of my time was spend studying, writing papers, and doing my work study job. I was very concerned that if my grades dropped I wouldn't be able to go back to school, or pay off my loans. But, spending time with people makes school so much better. Its worth it.

It is not going to be easy. It might sound like a blast but that feeling won't last for long. Once you are there, get involved. Sports, intermurals, small groups, anything you can think of because it will put off that feeling of homesickness. Don't just hang around the first person you meet. She's a real pain in the but and will just make you angry. Don't worry though, she doesn't last long. Don't stress about student loans, you will be able to pay for them later, but worrying about it now won't help anyone. DO NOT drive like a crazy person when you play Cops & Robbers.... you will help yourself a lot by not causeing brake problems! The caf food... is not as good as it was when you visited, be warned. Write to people, it makes them feel good and it feels awesome when you get something in the mail back from them. Its ok not to be able to do things. Don't go spend a ton of money on pointless stuff. Skip the starbucks if you need too. 10 meals a week is enough!

Jessy

Don't assume that just because you may be in the top 10 of your class and have higher than a 4.0 average, that college is going to be a breeze first semester. It won't be. Don't stop working hard, keep your scholarship, but also don't stress yourself out. In the midst of your school work and studying make sure to make time to get to know the people around you, on your wing, and in your dorm. Don't be scared to meet new people and reach out. Above all else, trust in the Lord for He is gracious and sovereign and He will provide. Remain faithful. "Give all your worries and cares to God for He cares about you" 1Peter 5:7.

I would tell myself of the many things I will learn. I would make sure that I were prepared mentaly for the many things I will learn. Growing closer to the Lord was the most important thing I will ever learn. This college drew me closer to the Lord and even maybe helped save me from eternal death in hell. Along with other things it taught me how to deal with evangelism. That is why we are here on this earth is to defend ourselves against all evil and tell others of Christ love. That is what this college teaches. I would tell myself of the many opportunites that I get to learn like studying abroad, getting to know wonderful professors and fellow believers. The ministrey opportunites also include helping the people in the community and telling of our Lord and Savior who can save us. I would also tell myself to make good friends which will last a life time. There are also believers there to encourage along with the willing professors who are there to help you through hard times you have in college. I would tell myself not to worry but trust in the Lord who saves.

I would tell myself: Don't go through this whole rigmarole of forcing yourself through majors that you don't really like and convincing yourself to enjoy things that you don't, all because you think that they will provide a livelihood for you. Pursue what you truly love doing and do well, and figure out how to make a living off of it later. It will save you a lot of time and anguish -- and don't worry, it'll all work out.

Don't expect it to solve all of your problems. You'll still be you even in college. Have a roommate...I don't recommend rooming alone. Don't isolate yourself. Be willing to hang out with other people. Don't procrastinate...it makes things worse. Realize it is not as easy as community college.

Jeanette

As a high school senior I would tell myself it is okay to ask for help. For example, it is not best to wait until the last minute to ask professors for tutoring or resources that will help with the class. The college provides numerous tutoring services that have proved to be helpful with the classes. The professors will also know that you are making an effort to pass when you ask for help or go to tutoring. Another example is asking for assistance with financial aid. The financial aid offices may be delayed occasionally or do not always recieve all of the documents and it is recommended to check with a financial aid officer to make sure everything is taken care of. The transition from high school to college life is fun but it is important to stay focused and make use of the opportunities I am offered. Time management, studying, and prioritizing is also important factors in being successful in college.

I would tell someone too start thinking about what they wanted to do before there get to their senior year. If they don’t know what to do after high then they should talk too there teachers or guidance councilor of the school to see if he/she could help you out. During your junior/senior year should be ready for college and know what you going too do. During your senior year is just getting you ready for college but once you get into college it’s a totally on your own. There won’t be, as much teachers helping you out, so pretty much you have to get up and start your own life. What you do in high school and college will determine what you will get out of life doing. Either the career you love to do or a job that you don’t like to do. It is all up to you no one else can stop you. Now you are at the end of the road and your graduated high school and now college, this is the time you can go and explore what you have learned the pass 12+years of you life.

If I could talk to myself one year ago, I'm not sure what I would say. I can hardly put into words all of the things that I have learned over the past six months. The challenges that I have faced in college, both spiritually and academically, are far beyond what I expected. It is hard to remember what I was like last May; I feel like I have changed so much. When I think about myself in high school, there are a few things that I regret, one of which in the lack of time that I invested in my relationship with the Lord. If I could, I would tell myself to invest as much time and energy into the relationship as possible. I realize that if I had been more serious about my walk with Christ then I would have avoided many of the issues that I faced with my friends. I would have also had a better work ethic that would translate to college. It is much harder to form good habits under pressure than to end bad habits in times of ease. I realize that my faith affects every facet of my life at school.

"No good thing will God withhold from those who walk with integrity." -Psalm 84:11. Before coming to The Master's college two years ago prayers of a place to know God better and be surrounded by his children were on my heart and mind. Though I didn't think it was possible for such a place to exist and though I certainly did not expect it, God seems to have a way of working things out more wonderfully than we could imagine and I believe He honored my prayers because they honored Him. TMC is rightly named so because of the divine hand which seems to encompass the place, people and all its happenings. Some refer to us notoriously as the “Master's bubble” because the college is something completely separate from all that surrounds it. As I ponder all the loving fellowship and warm wisdom from genuinely caring professors and comrads over I've received here over the years I'm full of gratitude. After I graduate I know God has good for me and that no other college could have prepared me as well for whatever it is out there as The Master's College has.

I arrived on campus the first day knowing that I would learn new things. However, I could hardly imagine that my entire perspective on God and His Word would be completely shaken as it has been during my time at the Master's College. The Bible has become more than just a book that is beneficial to know; instead, it is a mountain of treasure and riches which I can only hope to scrape the surface of after a lifetime of study. Moreover, the students and professors here exemplify what it means to live biblical ideals. One does not understand the man's potential until He has seen what God has done with those who are part of the Master's College.

Elyse

I have learned a lot from my college experience, both in and outside of the classroom. I have better learned how to make decisions, how to relate to people, how to manage time, how to write, how to research, and how to work with others. I have had a blast travelling abroad, made new friendships that I value probably more than anything else in my college experience, and genuinely felt like I have helped the community. I have learned about art, music, philosophy, science, history, and human culture. College thus far has been an incredible experience in my life, and I am looking forward to what lies ahead for the rest of my college career.

I would tell myself to prepare better, and to start looking into colleges earlier. Also I would have saved more money, so i can financially afford school.

My first semester in college made a profound change in how I defined myself and understood life. Given the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior I would offer a challenge. College is a serious matter and is worth working hard for. I knew then that the world was a complicated and dangerous place and some day it would be my turn to enter it without childhood safeties, but where was my place? How do I fit in on the complex scene? I can now answer that such a purposeful position is not something just handed over on someone's eighteenth birthday party, it is created and earned. The freedom is mine to work for what is good or to lay back and watch my life fall apart. So I would challenge my earlier self to consider this as I became frustrated with applications, finances, and rigorous classes. Do I want to become a man of honor? Do I want to help repair the faults of the world that confront me? Yes! Do I want comrades in this crazy world, both to protect and to keep me alive? Yes! Then get to work.

Rosalie

Don't put off the application process. Taking a year off is a really good idea but you should still go through the process so then it's even easier when you apply to school again at the end of 2009/2010. Speaking of which, you should start your application process right at the beginning of the 2009/2010 school year. This will give you enough time to critique your work and look into colleges more in depth. You will learn a lot about your self in the year you take off. You will learn you love to write social commentaries but what you really want to do is teach High School Art. You can still do writing on the side, but you need a degree to teach so get that done and keep the writing as a hobby. Maybe you'll make a living off both, who knows. But make sure you get the most out of your major.

Jeremiah

If I could go back to my high school self, I would simply tell myself to really take advantage of the study skills that the administrative staff was trying to teach us throughout all of high school. The reason why is because they really came in handy last semester and helped me to get the grades that I got and I will continue to use them.

Beth

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would have a few tips for the college life. First of all, I would advise my younger self to ask more questions my freshman year. People do not expect newbies to know everything- they are just waiting to help. Asking librarians for help on papers, financial aid counselors for scholarship direction, teachers for study help, even upper classmen for college street smarts-- these people can help you keep from making stupid mistakes. I also would tell myself to not worry so much about being cool and popular at college. The truth is- college is so different from high school. Everyone has friends at college regardless of how cool you were in high school. I would also tell myself that teachers are not your enemies. They genuinely want students to succeed. Lastly, I would tell myself to not freak out about the load of work. It seems scary at first when you get your syllabus or realize you have three papers due the same weekend-- but it always gets done, and if you take it one day at a time, everything will turn out okay.

Korina

Great job on taking electives at comunity college. You'll spend a lot less money in the long run!

Carissa

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to enjoy life! Make the most of every opportunity! Learn all you can! Experience many things! When I was in high school, I was so caught up in getting good grades and the future of college that I forgot what life was all about. My freshman year in college was resultingly very stressful as I continued to try as hard as possible to do perfectly at everything. I wish that I would have realized that while yes, it is important to work extremely hard, it is also crucial that I take advantage of all of the opportunities I have in this stage of my life. I need to get to know wise and experienced professors, to meet new people with their different thoughts and ideas, to travel as much as possible to different culutres, and to try and have an impact on the community around me. In the end, those elements make up the most important aspects of life and those experiences are as equally important to my college education as all the time spent in class and in the library.

Be flexible. The future is uncertain. And while you do need to be certain about what you choose to do, it's okay to take your time and think about what that it is. It's okay to think about what you want to major or minor in. Take different classes, but don't be scared of the work load; if you persevere and do your best, you will succeed. So be faithful. Be open to different ideas about life, learning and what you want to do. You may change your mind, even after a year or two of classes. I certainly did. So stay flexible and teachable. Learn all you can now. Be open to new opportunities, jobs and ideas. Don't be shy! You never know when you'll learn something that will prove beneficial in the future. It may even be that one thing you may have thought was somewhat pointless to learn. There is a point to everything even if you don't see it now. So learn, serve, be humble, be teachable, be flexible. You won't regret it. And don't forget to be friendly and smile to all!

I think that I would tell myself to try harder. That is the biggest lesson I have learned in college thus far and I wish someone would have told me that before I started college. I thought my high school prepared me well for college, but it was no match for the rigorous classes here. I also would tell myself to manage my time. It was the first time I was away from home with no mom or dad to tell me when I could go hang out and when I had to stay home to finish a big project. That is another big lesson that I had to learn the hard way in college... I had to fail at something before I succeded at it. Knowing these things NOW, I have done better with trying harder and managing my time but it would have been so helpful if someone had told me these things and given me tips about how to accomplish them.

I would say: "make the most of relationship opportunities at college. I had chances to get to know more people in very close ways and I didn't always pursue those.

Alyssia

College life... is just as hard as you thought it would be accademically. Life-wise, it's going to be a million times harder. Just stay focused, stay calm, and think through things thoroughly before you act. Make sure you really want to do something before you jump headfirst into it. As long as you keep to that, you'll do just fine. Just remember: you'll make it through, no matter how rough things get. It's not a matter of making it through. It's a matter of how you want to have acted at the end of it all.

Soak up these last moments of childhood, spend time with your family - never, ever take them for granted. But face the reality you are becoming an adult - it is exciting, but unless you shoulder the responsibility with opportunity, it is wasted. Go to class. Appreciate professors. Love to learn. Never take learning lightly. Dream enormous dreams, but unless you work hard, they'll never come true. All that said, college community will shape you as much as academics. Find great friends, spend time with them - study with them! When you're tempted to make a choice you know is wrong, get out right away. Forgiveness may be easier to get than permission, but your choices now are shaping you into the adult you will be for the rest of your life. Don't waste the time. Study hard, embrace responsibility, enjoy life - it isn't all about a GPA. It's about changing the lives of people around you, and the people who change yours. You will be a person you never imagined on graduation day - remember that when tests are hard, and the relationships difficult...it is worth it. Nothing is impossible, but opportunity only comes to the faithful.

I would definitely recommend visiting a school before you decide to attend. You'll learn about the community environment there, the reality of the classes & professors, the dorm life, the caf, etc. That's where you'll get the best picture of your next four years. Talk with your parents/student about every area--financial aid, desired major, etc. to make the best decision. Pick a college that matches your philosophy as well as your needs. Also, try to get a few classes taken care of beforehand at a community college if you're looking to reduce costs. Enjoy it!

A degee is a degree. Fancy name aside, it is most important to find a school that offers specifically what you are interested in and has a simular philosophy on life that you do. Balence is the key to a successful college experience. The first semester most likely will be a test run. Classes, study, extracirricular activities and social life are all pertinent aspects to a healthy, well-rounded college experience. Time management is an art that takes time to master. Begin homework as soon as you're out of class. Take naps. Sometimes a 20 minute break from studying will help you absorb the material better. Laugh. Take pictures. =)

Definitely look into more than just one college. You might think you want to go to a certain one, but once you look into it more and explore other colleges, you might find a college that is a better fit than what you originally thought. Also, it is a good idea to view different colleges to get a feel for the campus, its size, the amount of students, etc. Looking into the finances and financial aid is also very important. Schools offer more financial aid than most people realize, and it is a huge help in the long run. Ultimately, choose a college that goes along with your worldview and way of life, that is closely associated with your beliefs, morales, etc. Choose a college that will be a stepping stone in your life to get you where you want to go.

I don't know of anyone who would not benefit from a small classroom, academically focused, progress driven college experience. I attended two universities and the bottom line for success is professor to student interaction. The point of college is to come away with not only knowledge but also the ability to keep learning. With training that focuses on the student, the learning experience is heightened. I would avoid programs that involve too many big lectures taught by TA's and instead try to find a school where the professors are not only friendly and student oriented, but also have high credibility in their field. There is no sense in paying thousands of dollars for a piece of paper that says you snoozed through yet another 300 person class. It is important to find a program that gives you the skills and the correct educational goals and drive to keep learning once the job market or grad school is on the immediate horizon. That is the best advice I can give.

The best way to get a sense of a school is to go spend time on the campus, sit in on some classes and talk with some of the students. And, if you pick a school that doesn't work out for you, there is nothing wrong with transfering to another school.

Talk to current students and see what they think about it. No college is perfect, so if it sounds like the students seem to think so, then keep looking. Get a balanced outlook on campus life. To students: college is a completely from high school. The work is hard, and expected to be turned on time. However, you can experience life without harming your GPA, and this balance depends on your major. It's true that this is the only time in your life that you will be able to experience anything like college, so make the most of it. Do the homework that is assigned, turn in projects on time, and there will be little to worry about.

The Master's College is only as life changeling as the person it teaches. We still have drugs, drink and sex running on the campus. Students will not exit as the next Nathaniel Taylor nor are ready-made pastors wives made here. Some old roommates of mine are leaving the faith entirely, as it is taught here that to keep up appearances is the worst sin of all. Student Life Services will not complete the job of raising up strong Christian men and women; that was the parents job. And that have better be the condition that the student comes in as, otherwise they will not strive at all.

Look for a college that will stretch you both academically and socially. It is imperative that you find a school that will test you, and make you consider your view points. You need to look for a school that will not necessarily be comfortable. You cannot go looking for places that will be just like it was at home. You will not learn what it truly means to be human, and a contributor to society unless you go to a school that will make you consider what that means. You need to find a school that will incorporate all of these things, while having a strong grasp of the subject that you wish to study.

Naomi

A good start is to have at least 10 colleges in mind and then make a point to visit each one, or talk to people personally on the phone to get an idea of the morale of the college. When visiting, make a point to talk to students, faculty, staff to get an idea of the mentality of the school. Go to the dorms, the class rooms, study halls, library, caf, etc. Meet the president ( why not? ) BE ALL THERE! Don't slack off! Put your all into whatever it is you are doing at the moment, the results will forever be satisfactory. Listen to the professors, ask questions. Even if you don't like a required class, work harder to make it worth your while, because you still have to do it, so do right. With friends, have fun, take breaks and go to the beach or skiing. It's ok to stop studying for a bit. Parents: Encourage your kids to make their own decisions for themselves, but be there for them when it turns out to be the wrong one, sometimes it really is ok for us to learn the hard way.

Finding the right college really depends on what your dreams are for your future. You have to make sure the college you go to has the program that you need and will equip you with what you need to know. The right college is one where you feel comfortable and accepted. I think the right college is a place where you make lasting friends, and your professors care about you. The right college is about community. To make the most of your college experience, you should try your best at all of your studies, but make sure that you don't let homework overtake your life. It will always be there. Try to make quality friendships. Go on adventures with your friends. This is the only time in your life where you are free from parents or full-time work obligations. Be smart, be safe, but have fun. Learn not only from your classes, but from the people around you and the experiences you have while you are there. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it will fly by!

I believe that parents should allow thier children to have a strong college experience. It's about the curiculum, the teachers that respect you as an adult, the roomates who will be freinds forever with you, the chioces that you learn to make on your own(while learing to live on your own), the study skills you develope(which the school encourages). the amount of time the parents encourage thier child to continue in the education and to grow so that one dya they will be able to graduate adn reciever thier dipolmaknwoing that they learning valuable life skills(from within a school setting. I would tell parents to spend extra on the college education because even though it's harder on them, it will benefit thier child. The student must work hard and relaize that college is the first step to entering the world and choosing to make wise discissions that will empact thier lives forever.

Research as much as possible. Factor in how helpful the financial aid and counselling offices are. Contact current students and alumni to see how life at the school is and how easy it is to get a job after graduating. Find out if the school is accredited or not. Once in the right college, focus on school as much as possible, but set aside time every week to interact with people and do nothing school related during that time period. Eat properly, and work out regularly, because stress does build up! Bring ibuprofen and vitamin C, and prepare to get used to getting sick once one person falls ill.

Erik

I would recommend students and parents research nine schools that interest them based on degrees offered, school size, school reputation, family tradition, quality of education, and extra curricular activities. Then visit the three best and spend at least one night in the dorms, go for two if you can. Visit classes and discover the atmosphere and nature of the school. Also eat in the cafeteria and attend extra-curricular activities and sports events. Scout out the campus facilities and meet several teachers in fields you anticipate studying. Finally study all the students that you meet and ask yourself this question. Do I want to be like he or she when you graduate? Like a lump of clay you will be molded and shaped through your experiences in college. Therefore pick wisely. Your friends in college will sculpt your life and you will be friends with many of them throughout life. Parents, give your students the choice in the decision. However come along side them and help them decide. Be an helpful advisor, but leave the choice up to them. Also, working through college is tough but a great learning experience as one has to learn to balance all their responsibilities.

My advice to a student or parent on finding the right college would be to make sure you know what the campus life is like. Go visit the campus and "live" there for a weekend. Experience what it's like in the classrooms and what it's like to interact with the other students on campus. Find out the strengths and weaknesses of the department in which you are going to study. Make sure the surrounding area will meet your needs and desires. College is a big part in a person's life, espeically in this day in age. It's important to be able to find a balance between your social life, your studies, and of course your dreaded job. Find a college that will benifit you and will give you as many experiences as you can handle. Find a college with the perfect balance that suits you and all of your needs.