New York, NY
The New School

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The New School

Jamie

At first I was a little apprehensive. I was used to colleges having greek life, sports, and a campus. TNS is very non-traditional. It was uncomfortable at first, but now I'm a pro at everything New York has to offer. The students are really nice and filled with righteous passion. The dorms and tuition is very pricey but its completely worth it. The dorms have a million dollar view! The food is gourmet style! I love it here and I would never want to be anywhere else.

Grace

The New School is a great networking school, but it's very disorganized. The people who run the school are only interested in themselves, so if you wish to make it big, you have to work alone. In terms of academics, you're better off with a community college. The only program worth being at this school is for fashion design.

It's very disorganized, and the people there are lowkey competitive so there is always a bit of tension.

Grace

"New" is the perfect name for The New School, because one year has made me feel like a new person. Sure, that's cheesy but a little cheese never made anything false. It wasn't easy to remake myself, but the last year made me realize that I can do anything. From our unique narwhale mascot to the intensive style classes, The New School forces you to grow and leaves everyone feeling fresh.

Wei

Overall, the new school has an artistic and diverse atmosphere. However, studying here especially in the fashion design major can be super stressful. Most of my friends only have 3 to 4 hours of sleep during school days, and pulling all-nighters are very common for them. The studios in school are always busy even at 3 o'clock in the morning. The work-load is crazy, but you can learn a lot if you can take the pressure.

Safiye

I went to Eugene Lang for my BA in History; minor in Literature. The New School is ideal for self-motivated, hard-working undergraduates looking to be challenged intellectually and for small class sizes. You will only have to take two university-wide lectures during your time at Lang. All other courses are seminars with 7-13 students. The quality of the class is heavily dependent on whether or not you have intelligent peers who are doing the (admittedly) lengthy readings for each class. Seminars are usually conducted using the socratic method. If students don't do readings, class can get painful very fast. Don't be one of these people! It may be fairly easy to coast, but you will be wasting everyone's time (and your own money!). Do the work, push yourselves during midterms and finals to write great research papers, and you will not regret it. -- NS students have access to NYU's Bobst library. It will be home for the next 4 years. --- Oh, and do not live in dorms past your freshman year. --- Other useful advice: intern while you are in school. That is the best advice I can give.

Shulokhana

The New School

The school is smack in the middle of New York City. The neighborhood is amazing and there are so many cool classes. The professors are amazing and the people are really nice - it's a very diverse school. One of the best parts is how everyone is so accepting of all race, religions, sexualities etc. The opportunities for internships through the school are varied and really cool as well.

Meg
Top school in a great location.

The New School is a progressive diverse scene which inspires creativity around the clock.

Top school in a great location.

Kariah
New School rating

The new school costs more than Harvard! Which is crazy, but great school, its up to you though to make the best out of it.

New School rating

Jodi

The New School is overall great, although it's still in progress in terms of teachers, school building, and unfortunately the financial system. The financial aid office were partially clueless when questions were asked since they heavily depend on a financial program run by another company. Personally, it is upsetting to receive short-term financial deadlines and have an online system run slow. I've had issues where my account would say one thing and my counselor would see another. The online system for financial aid and payments is quite confusing and need serious improvement. It is difficult for those who can not afford college and need time to pay it off (the payment plan is also short term). Only those who can pay tuition off all at once do not face difficulties and it is extremely unfair. After dealing with the financial office for a month I had fun afterwards. The school contains a variety of students from around the world, only a few of my classmates were from the U.S, others were from Canada, Brazil, Germany, India, Asia, and Australia. When I moved in to my dorm in Stuyvestant Park, we had 2 rooms in one suite; therefore 4 students shared one kitchen and a bathroom, 2 of my roommates were from India and the other from Australia which was new since I came from LA, it's rare to encounter students from different countries. Everyone was humble and outgoing, we hardly had any difficulties living together. I'm not entirely sure about the other residences but I've heard the nicest dorm there is the University Center. The University Center is the best part of the school since it contains a cafe on the 2nd floor where every meal is prepared freshly since they have professional chefs that prepare your meal right when you order since the cafe is separated in different serving stations. All the packaged meals were freshly prepared as well. They've also opened a new cafe in the downstairs area that serve soups, sandwiches and nicely packaged pastries. It is personally, one of my favorite parts of the campus, the classrooms/ lecture rooms are very nice. Most of our teachers encourage us to explore the city for our assignments. We would have field trips to Cooper Hewitt, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, The Atrium, and different independent design companies in NYC. After the end of each semester, we have course evaluations to voice or opinion on the professor's teaching methods and overall classroom ambiance. The school provides plenty of career opportunities, internships, online programs, anything you absolutely need to progress in your career. They have an equipment center that provide professional cameras, camcorders, lighting, everything that will help you with your assignments. A lot of things are going on in New York City so there is always something to do every single day since there are a variety of design events, festivals, concerts, open mics everywhere! Overall a great experience if you don't mind a busy, fast-paced environment

Belinda

The institution I attend consists of a small but very diverse student body and staff faculty, which is great in its own right. I identify as a woman of color, and having attended two other institutions before attending my graduate degree at The New School, I have always felt as an outsider, and outcast due to my previous college institutions consisting of a bland or homogenous student body and staff faculty that sadly rarely consisted of individuals who represented me by gender, ethnically or racially. As a result, this would place so much stress and pressure on me knowing that I could not find someone (a staff member) to vocalize my true concerns to because they "wouldn't understand" me. The New School has a beautiful array of scholars, students of all walks of life, and the location of the institution is in the center of New York- where there is something and someone to talk to for everyone! I feel very comfortable and at home with the staff members I've networked with and I also feel at ease. The institution is historically and culturally rich, learning is very stimulating and overall approaching the staff members is so easy to do because most of them are there to assist you and they trully care for your livelihood. I really enjoy being a student at The New School.

I don't think one exist, at least not one that I can consciously think off. But if I had to say one I would state the stereotype of students at the New School is that most if not all of us are stylish, approachable and quite friendly.

There are soo many to be honest, too much to list but I'll list the ones I am affiliated or contributed to in the past, they are: the New Black, New School student government and Afro-futurism.

The students at the New School are very diverse; the student body consists of LGBT, Persons of Color, Disabled students of all ethnicity and demographics.

Academics at the New School is very competitive, stimulating, the classes are small in comparison to larger institutions (17:1 ration with the professor) which I confidently prefer and learning is face paced.

The New School administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.