The New School

« See more reviews of The New School

A college selection should be based on academic programs, faculty, and student life which best fits the needs of the individual planning on attending. College selection begins by browsing academic programs in which an individual plans to study. Be sure to place yourself in an college environment that is conducive to your professional and personal interests. Whether or not you are aware of your particular interests, choose a university that will challenge your views and broaden your current perspectives. Since several universities will have your particular field of study you should then look closely at the faculty. Note your particular learning style and compare that to the techniques used at the university. Notice where the faculty completed undergraduate work and look at the career path they are on currently. The college you choose should have different professors that you view as a positive role model in your field of interest. Finally, look closely into student life and take into consideration your personal and professional goals. Peers will be a heavy influence on your experience of college, make sure to find a campus lifestyle that best fits you.

I applied George Washington University and was accepted. I decided to attend because it was the most prestigous school that I had applied to. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that the most important thing about a University is not its ranking. There are a whole host of other factors that are important. I ended up transferring from GW because it wasn't exactly the right fit for me. I had a pretty unconventional undergraduate experience after that. I went to Costa Rica and studied there, learned spanish and volunteered. I finished my undergraduate education at the New School because it was a good fit for me at that time. The New school was more accomodating to my needs which greatly augmented my learning experience. I am very grateful for the opportunites the New School afforded me. Choosing a school is not just about prestige. It is a very personal decision and therefore should be narrowly tailored to your needs and wants. I feel this is valuable advice for any high school student beacuse at the end of the day, its what you think about the school -not what others think of it.

My advice would be to try to consider a path for the future and then proceed to the proper place that serves that particular practice/career choice. If you are a person, like many, who has absolutely no idea what it is that they want to to, my advice would be to use the this time in your life to explore other places and experience the world. Chances are that after attending a university, you wont have the opportunity to live in a different country or live in a different part of the country for a short amount of time. Larger Universities, while providing immense variety in course and educational experiences, can also put a student in a position of feeling lost and utterly disconnected from everyone. Smaller, more intimate environments may serve to be a much more benefitial educational experience for some. My advice in choosing a college/university would be to visit differnt types of campuses, either locally or worlwide to try to find the best fit before commiting to any individual place. Once you are accepted and are attending a university, it becomes much harder to change your mind.

I think it is crucial for the student to lean forward with excitment when he or she thinks about the upcoming year. Many students land in college for lack of a better idea or because they are told it is what is supposed to happen next. Students should at least consider going abroad or embarking on an internship or volunteer experience to help them find out a little more about the world they will be expected to enter running once they graduate from college. This way, college becomes more of a real entity--a venue for helping students learn and grow in ways that seem exciting and useful. The crucial question to ask is, "If I could do anything next year, what would I do?" The answer will be informative even if the student decides to enter school right away--it will help to direct him or her. This might mean going to a school in the mountains because the student's most passionate interest is outdoor sports or choosing a school that will allow the student to study abroad, satisfying a craving for travel. There should be some aspect of the school that calls the student forth with gusto!

Sometimes we, as human beings, reflect on our past mistakes and wish that we could somehow reach back in time to prevent such mistakes from occurring. One might consider missing scholarship deadlines as a correctable mistake, or being a little bit more prepared for senior finals. Proper preparation in general would likely be the subject of nearly all conversations I would have with my past self. However, I doubt that I would ever act upon this sort of impulse even if I did have the ability; as regrettable as some mistakes may be, it is one of the cornerstones of experience that we make them. Were I to keep myself from making such mistakes, I would deprive myself of the wisdom I've learned from them. We as humans are bound for mistakes no matter how careful we may be; were I to advise myself in the past, my past self would inevitably find some other mistake to make, one which I wouldn't have without my future self's interference. To keep alternate timelines from getting out of control, I would instead advise my to-be-future self, for it is the future we head towards, not the past.

In order to make the best college experince, one must do your research for your success to grow as a well informed human and citizen of the world. I think parents should take a step back in terms of dictating areas of study and allow students to decide what they will spend the next four years or more of thier life perfecting. What good would it do for the next Che Guevera to study poetry when her/his way to changing the world could be through helping to heal folks in the united states with a medical education? In other words, I am suggesting that its imperative for students transitioning to college to find the college that bests caters to thier social, emotional, mental, spiritual, and academic needs. This may not always be an ivy league instutition or even a school that has a fraternity. What it does mean is finding a school that wil challenge your multiple intrests and then help you to hone in on your specialties so you can be of service to your community. The best college for you is the one where YOU and not your parents or family, but you will be wholistically supported.

Thus far in my life I have attended two seperate colleges. Right out of high school I entered an acting conservatory and remained there for a year until ultimately I decided that for the sake of my academic education, I should transfer. I transferred because I wanted the freedom pick my classes, to enjoy academic courses, and to be a part of college of like minded individuals- all things which I hadn't received at my acting conservatory. I transferred to The Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts at The New School and it was the best decision I ever made. I have already grown so much as an individual and as a citizen of the world at large. I have gained an appreciation for the arts in their academic context, hoards of newfound knowledge from my courses, and the insight from exceptional professors. Aside from the growth specific to New School, I have grown as a person. I have become so open to trying new things and to making friends with everyone I can. The freedom with which college brings is one that cannot be explained in words because, like culture, it is a way of life in itself.

As a high school senior, I invariably fell into the so-called "Senioritis" disease that afflicted just about 98.99% of my grade. If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell myself to work a bit harder and re-live the year without succumbing to the ever-dooming consequences of procrastination. Because I knew from a young age that I wanted to go into the arts and design field, I had worked diligently in school and art classes all the way to junior year, completing a challenging college art portfolio. Thus, once senior year arrived, I took it for granted that I wouldn't have to keep up my grades. In reality, I realized that it was just as important as any other year, and I had to keep up my academics as well as complete college applications . Although I got through the year successfully, and I'm now eagerly anticipating attending a prestigious art school, I still wish I could have kept better grades, even if only to satisfy my own expectations. One thing I know for certain - college will be a brand new beginning, and I will certainly be working & studying my hardest for it!

(sighs) Tyler, you should probably focus more on your math class, cause math is one of those things you always struggled on. Also Tyler, make sure you listen to what you wanted to do and spend alot of free time making short films while still keeping up with you're relationship with jesus. Also, talk to your parenst about not having us switch churches after dad retires as a youth minister, although Lakeview Church of Christ is a stronger and has better lessons, the move away from Olympia Church of underclassmen at school look up to you and you should show them how great life can be when you have god in your life. Also, the play you wrote, "Cedar Park Hostage Situation", do something with it, it was a very strong and very heartfelt while at the same time painfully funny, so please get the school to perform it at state, you worked really hard and have directed a self written play every year at state, one more will keep your record going. That's almost all i have to say, just remember to be respectful of mom and keep a good christian relationship with everyone around you. Bye.

When I first went to college, during my freshman year, I was a really shy and quiet girl. I felt out of place because I was in a school where there was not a lot of Latinos or African American students. I did not have anyone related to me and my experiences so I really decided to keep everything to myself. English is not my first language and many of my classmates didn't understand why I was attending a predominantly white school. During that first year of college, I was almost invisible and almost considered dropping out of school. But all this changed after I met my academic advisor, Kim Foote, who really helped me integrate to extracurricular activities such as foreign language and salsa class. She also introduced me to the field of Education Studies and I immediately fell in love with this major. I had a strong connection with teachers and even students in this field. It was in this field that I opened myself and started to participate and express my opinion. Exploring the social sciences that the New School offers is an amazing experience and is worth attending.