The New School Top Questions

I applied George Washington University and was accepted. I decided to attend because it was the most prestigous school that I had applied to. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that the most important thing about a University is not its ranking. There are a whole host of other factors that are important. I ended up transferring from GW because it wasn't exactly the right fit for me. I had a pretty unconventional undergraduate experience after that. I went to Costa Rica and studied there, learned spanish and volunteered. I finished my undergraduate education at the New School because it was a good fit for me at that time. The New school was more accomodating to my needs which greatly augmented my learning experience. I am very grateful for the opportunites the New School afforded me. Choosing a school is not just about prestige. It is a very personal decision and therefore should be narrowly tailored to your needs and wants. I feel this is valuable advice for any high school student beacuse at the end of the day, its what you think about the school -not what others think of it.

Erik

As a graduating senior I was sheltered and I held back so much of myself. I was easy influenced by the outside world and allowed others to tell me how I should live. If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself not to hold back and to not be afraid. It took me years to realize this and I wasted so much time and energy trying to conform to social norms and expectations. I was afraid to be myself and to go after what I wanted for my life. The person I am now is completely different from that high school senior who thought he had life figured out. I would tell myself to throw all rules and expectations out, and to live life to fullest.

Madelyn

Madelyn, Walking into the classroom on your first day of school will be one of the most intimidating experiences of your life. You will worry about making friends and be mortified you might make a fool of yourself in front of your classmates. As the first project comes to a start, so do the comparisons in your head, causing your self-esteem to plummet. You will wonder how you got accepted into this school and believe your work and talents are insignificant. My advice to you: remember what you are here for. You have come to learn and become a stronger artist. You have come to pursue your passion for design and fashion. You are only holding yourself back by belittling your work. If you truly yearn to get the most out of your studies and advance your design skills, have confidence in who you are and what you create. Everyone's work is unique to his or her own persona, but that does not make one person better than the next. Embrace your inner character and channel that into what you do. Otherwise you will never discover the full potential Madelyn has to offer.

As a high school senior my life concerns were centered on being accepted by others, physical appearance, and maintaining a popular social status. I completely lacked academic drive, was selfish and superficial, and seemed to always be in a hurry to get nowhere in particular. My high school senior self could have really used this advice, but learing it first hand is what life is about...Keep in mind that the world is much larger than just you. Stay updated with what's happening around the world; this will be a good reminder of how good you've got it. Make sure to tell the ones you love how important they are to you, and do your best to let go of the people that try to bring you down. You won't be the best at everything, and that's ok, just always give your best effort and work hard because it will mean so much more in the end. Ultimately, we are the choices we make, so try to make good ones that will keep you healthy and happy. Above all, find happiness within yourself, because no person, job, or amount of money will give it to you.

(sighs) Tyler, you should probably focus more on your math class, cause math is one of those things you always struggled on. Also Tyler, make sure you listen to what you wanted to do and spend alot of free time making short films while still keeping up with you're relationship with jesus. Also, talk to your parenst about not having us switch churches after dad retires as a youth minister, although Lakeview Church of Christ is a stronger and has better lessons, the move away from Olympia Church of underclassmen at school look up to you and you should show them how great life can be when you have god in your life. Also, the play you wrote, "Cedar Park Hostage Situation", do something with it, it was a very strong and very heartfelt while at the same time painfully funny, so please get the school to perform it at state, you worked really hard and have directed a self written play every year at state, one more will keep your record going. That's almost all i have to say, just remember to be respectful of mom and keep a good christian relationship with everyone around you. Bye.

Dear High School Me, If I could give you any advice it would be to never forget who you are, and the power you possess to be something great in this world. You are the master of your destiny, and no high school issue will be permanent enough to change your destiny, but rather shape it. You radiate with inner and outer beauty, strength, compassion and intelligence, and you have the ability to bring all of these to the world, and you can and WILL. Do not let any highschool drama, a seemingly difficult class, a bully, or even a bad day distrct you from the ultimate vision: being a good person and a successful one. Transitions in your life have never been easy, from elemantary to middle school, to high school, and the transition to college or even to a change of scenery won't be an easy one, but that's the point. Nothing is supposed to be easy, you need to work hard to break down the challenges in life and conquer them, and if you keep a clear mind and take the chance to breathe, you will. Work hard and be nice. You are loved.

Cee

Stop thinking your dreams are stupid and unachievable. You are an artist through and through; it's in your blood. Don't settle for studying something because it's easy. If it's easy, you won't be happy. Don't let the people that don't understand you hold you back or make you feel like you have something to prove them. Never compromise your self-esteem, your integrity, or your sense of well-being. Always do what is right for you, and if you need help seeing what is right, you have the right friends by your side to se you through it all. Rely on them. Lastly, have fun. You spend way too much time worrying about things and people you have no control of. Let down your guard, and feel free. Find your inspirations, and let them guide you.

jonathan

As a college freshman, you will be required to meet certain obligations, such as, writing papers and essays, taking exams and reading course materials. Meeting these obligations is certainly important for your career, but to be a successful student, this is not enough. You must learn from life, and learn from professional experiences. All of those experiences outside of the academia enviroment will enrich your mind and help you develop a unique perspective on what is covered inside of the classroom. Otherwise you will end up learning the material, but not learning how to apply it to life.

Luoan

As a high school senior, I invariably fell into the so-called "Senioritis" disease that afflicted just about 98.99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my grade. If I could go back in time, I would definitely tell myself to work a bit harder and re-live the year without succumbing to the ever-dooming consequences of procrastination. Because I knew from a young age that I wanted to go into the arts and design field, I had worked diligently in school and art classes all the way to junior year, completing a challenging college art portfolio. Thus, once senior year arrived, I took it for granted that I wouldn't have to keep up my grades. In reality, I realized that it was just as important as any other year, and I had to keep up my academics as well as complete college applications . Although I got through the year successfully, and I'm now eagerly anticipating attending a prestigious art school, I still wish I could have kept better grades, even if only to satisfy my own expectations. One thing I know for certain - college will be a brand new beginning, and I will certainly be working & studying my hardest for it!

Chantal

Sometimes we, as human beings, reflect on our past mistakes and wish that we could somehow reach back in time to prevent such mistakes from occurring. One might consider missing scholarship deadlines as a correctable mistake, or being a little bit more prepared for senior finals. Proper preparation in general would likely be the subject of nearly all conversations I would have with my past self. However, I doubt that I would ever act upon this sort of impulse even if I did have the ability; as regrettable as some mistakes may be, it is one of the cornerstones of experience that we make them. Were I to keep myself from making such mistakes, I would deprive myself of the wisdom I've learned from them. We as humans are bound for mistakes no matter how careful we may be; were I to advise myself in the past, my past self would inevitably find some other mistake to make, one which I wouldn't have without my future self's interference. To keep alternate timelines from getting out of control, I would instead advise my to-be-future self, for it is the future we head towards, not the past.

Gaby

I have gone to two schools now. Originally I went to the University of Massachusetts Amherst and now I go to Eugene Lang The New School for Liberal Arts. If I could go back I would tell myself that I should meet with another college counselor who might have steered me to the right, better place for me before going to college. That way I would not have had to transfer thus putting myself in debt (due to my 2nd school's price). I have maintained a 4.0 GPA. I challenge myself academically and I push myself to get involved on campus to make sure I make the most out of it. I have also made strong connections with my professors so that I can learn from their experiences, network with them in the future and make sure that I have the most personalized educational I possible can. I want to get the most out of school and right now the only thing holding me back is money. If only I had known not to go to such expensive schools and had been told how to go about finding money for schools I would have been prepared.

Do not procrastinate on the application process! You really need to take a lot of time to think hard about what you really want to do. If only I had realized earlier that my true dream is to become a musician, that music is all I really want to do, then I could have focused all my energy in pursuing that dream much earlier, and not waste as much time. But there's no need to worry: there are a lot of people who have unclear futures. Perhaps their dreams may change. What's imporant, though, is that you get good grades in high school, and hone your skills, so you can play a killing audition and get a scholarship. Money is very important, and there's a huge risk your parents won't be able to afford all of your college time, especially with the poor economy and recent disaster in Japan, where your family lives and works. College is the last step before the real world for most of us, so you need to be prepared. Gather the right friends and make many connections, because in the end, that's all you can hold on to.

Leonardo

I gained the ability to be independent in the world. I have used my previous artistic abilities in the world of design and architecture. The college experience is paramount to prove i have what it takes to persue a career in architecture and design.

The way in which I live, based upon my educational experiences, has and still affects/supports the person that I am today. I strive not onl y to be an expert in my field but implement my research and knowledege with the real world.

Susan

I am gaining valuable skills as a writer and artist that I did not have before and the confidence to go out and do well in the world. It is also a valuable experience for personal growth, that might mean even more than the books read and facts memorized. It is a tme like no other, where there is a community, that I am part of, lifting me up and showing me new possiblities that I may not have ever found on my own. I am learning both about the inner and outer world and how I can contribute to it. I was stuck in my life and didn't know what to do. This experience is setting me off in new directions and I feel I am gaining the experience to make my life a bigger success. Without it, there was always something missing. Being in college now, I relish the exhileration of learning, the pride in doing well, and I can find appreciation where I took no notice previously. It is changing my life forever and I am grateful.

The proffesors are great and you form great connection in the professional world

Gizel

When I first went to college, during my freshman year, I was a really shy and quiet girl. I felt out of place because I was in a school where there was not a lot of Latinos or African American students. I did not have anyone related to me and my experiences so I really decided to keep everything to myself. English is not my first language and many of my classmates didn't understand why I was attending a predominantly white school. During that first year of college, I was almost invisible and almost considered dropping out of school. But all this changed after I met my academic advisor, Kim Foote, who really helped me integrate to extracurricular activities such as foreign language and salsa class. She also introduced me to the field of Education Studies and I immediately fell in love with this major. I had a strong connection with teachers and even students in this field. It was in this field that I opened myself and started to participate and express my opinion. Exploring the social sciences that the New School offers is an amazing experience and is worth attending.

Moving from Los Angeles to New York City to attend college has always been my dream and I am living it! It has only been a couple of months into my first semester but feels like a lifetime of experiences. I really love my classes, the professors are so enthusiastic about the subjects that they teach. I am involved, engaged and excited to wake up, walk to school through the village in New York City, and feel the energy all around. I value this experience more than any other in my entire life. I worked very hard in high school to graduate in the top of my class so that I could attend a prestiges college that would allow me to learn new concepts that had never crossed my mind before. This experience only happens once in a lifetime and I am so grateful to be at the beginning of an amzing journey.

tonisha

I have learned so much out of my college experience. I've became wiser, stronger, and responsible. Attending college is very important to me because I was always taught knowlegde was power and the key to success. I love to learn new things no matter how great of a challenge it may be, and I know that as long as I attend college then I know I will continuely grow as a better and smarter person.

Garrett

The main idea that I have gotten out of my college experience is that life is going to throw you curve balls, but the point of life is to change your stance to be able to hit those curve balls out of the park. Last year I had to take a semester off due to severe illness, I managed to get Swine Flu, then Pnemonia, then mononucleosis all within a 4 month time frame. This taught me a lot about life. I had a whole semester to think about life and think about my choices and whether they were going to benefit me in the long run, not just the short. I was literally bed ridden for months while my friends continued their free lifestyle. In result of this, at the time, tragedy, I learned that although live throws you punches, you have to get through it and keep you eyes on the mean idea. Look at things holistically and not worry about the small stuff, because everyone has a reason or purpose in life, and mine is to be succesful, and no sickness or hopsital bill is every going to bring me down.

Keena

My college experience has taught me a lot about myself. Of course, I have learned about public speaking, American literature, and stuff like why bugs have the ability to turn colors; however, college has been the greatest journey of my life so far. I know that if anything happens in my life that I am a strong person and I will always be able to lean on myself in times of struggle. College has been valuable to attend because it's fun and life is fun. Learning new things is exciting to me no matter how hard I work for it and I know at the end of the day that all this hard work i put into school will be totally worth it!

Halston

I am a transfer student coming from a less-prestigious college, and going into one of New York's finest insitiutions. I am seeking out a more classical education to ensure my place in society. I took a 5 year break since my last college experience to work in the photography industry. If I have learned anything from working in a glamorous industry, is that education couquers all. will be studying under some of the greatest minds the city has to offer, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity. It is very humbling to return to school, and I have had more than a few lessons in humility in the last 5 years. I know that I will be a better and more focused student, and will make fewer mistakes due to my life experience.

Tanya

I have had some super highs and some incredible lows during my tenure in school. I have gone through a divorce, single motherhood, homelessness and psychological depression but the support of many of the staff and faculty at the New School encouraged me to perserver. One spectacular experience was meeting a Psychology professor named Patricia Simpko. I took her Interpretations of Dreams, Dimensions of Narcissism and Psychology Creativity. She taught from Winnicott and it revolutionalized my thinking and my life and it was simply, "The Good Enough Mother". I learned not only as a parent that what I gave could be good enough and that it would benefit my child but through out life my efforts were good enough to merit my overall success!

The most I have gotten out of this school is the respect. The learning is a one on one basis. the teachers really care and push you to do your best. Not alot of school do that due to the fact. College is about doing things your self. learing on your own. the sports are very good. We have alot of supporters, even when we lose. This college has had a good impact on my life and the decsioins i choose while living.

Thus far in my life I have attended two seperate colleges. Right out of high school I entered an acting conservatory and remained there for a year until ultimately I decided that for the sake of my academic education, I should transfer. I transferred because I wanted the freedom pick my classes, to enjoy academic courses, and to be a part of college of like minded individuals- all things which I hadn't received at my acting conservatory. I transferred to The Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts at The New School and it was the best decision I ever made. I have already grown so much as an individual and as a citizen of the world at large. I have gained an appreciation for the arts in their academic context, hoards of newfound knowledge from my courses, and the insight from exceptional professors. Aside from the growth specific to New School, I have grown as a person. I have become so open to trying new things and to making friends with everyone I can. The freedom with which college brings is one that cannot be explained in words because, like culture, it is a way of life in itself.

If I could speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell her to nurture her passion for learning and exploration no matter what challenges may arise. I would ask her to consider where her greatest gifts and passions intersect with the needs of the world. I would encourage her to choose a program of study that fascinates and enlivens her and to connect with the material in a meaningful way. It is this sense of meaning that gives students hope, vision and purpose for the future. I would also suggest that she find a way to engage with the college community by cultivating relationships through service projects, the arts and activism, to seek out those who will honor her voice.

Don't worry about it, you are Ryan Mitchel, you always land on your feet. The rest fall accordingly. Work hard, be a good student and you'll do great. You really are a great student, even though I know you don't think so right now. Hey, junior college is a great way to start your career. And before you know it you'll be in New York going to New School, yeah it's called The New School. Trust me you'll love it.

Kristen, listen to me. Parsons is expensive and you probably do not realize how expensive it is just yet, as you have never lived on your own or had to ration money to decide between food and art supplies. That has always been given to you. As your future self, who has lived for almost five months in the city and has seen the stress the tuition causes mom and dad, you need to really focus on getting scholarship money. There is no way you can attend a second year if you do not earn enough money, whether through three summer jobs or applying for every scholarship you can find that you might have an okay chance at winning. It costs an almost obscene amount of money to attend Parsons, but it is one of the best art schools in the country, so do not give this up. It is going to be stressful, and you are going to cry, but it is going to be worth it. Hold it together and do your best and you can make it as an illustrator, just like we have wanted since sophomore year in high school. We can do it, I promise.

Corey

It has taken me so long to realize my potential. I always gave up on school and myself because of self-esteem issues eventhough I knew I was smart. Currently at the age of 41, I am keeping a 4.0 GPA and wanting to do so much more with the skills I am acquiring as a Medical Assistant Student. If I only knew then, that school was a tool to get to do so much more in life, then I would have jumped in head first. I would tell my high school self to stop feeling like a loser even before trying. I feel like I have wasted all my life being afraid of school but maybe I feel like God has saved the best for the latter part of my life. And I still have a lot of it left.

Nadia

If I could go back to my senior year in high school, I would work harder to save money and I would do my best academically because it would be my last chance in high school to do so. I would take education more serious. I would make an outline of my academic goals. I would apply for financial aid. I would read more. I would practice my writing. I would look into resources available. I would think about the future rather than the present. I wouldn't be afraid to take chances. I wouldn't say -- I would do.

In making the extremely expensive transition from high school in Seattle to college in New York City, I have learned about the importance of money, and because of that, to think about the comfort and well-being of my parents more. If I had the chance to speak to myself as a high school senior, I would try to make myself understand that my parents want me to do well so much that they are willing to go into debt over it, and that is something I should try to prevent so they don't have to work for the rest of their lives because of me. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as humanly possible and be more open-minded about schools that did not cost as much as my top choice. I would tell myself that these choices would not only effect me.

Annabella

If you're coming to Parsons, make sure you know what you want out of your time here and that you have a pretty concrete idea of the career path you're choosing.

Hamadou

If i could go back before i entered Parsons, the first thing i would tell myself would be not to take the Chase Critical Reading class, The teacher in that class was the worst teacher i have had sense I've been at Parsons. I let myself no that in order to survive in college the one thing i would have to work on everyday is time management, barely beating and project deadline is hard on the body, both physically and mentally.

My last year in high school was one of the best years in school and wouldn?t like to change much. The only advise I would give my past self, is to take advantage of all the opportunities given and to not care too much for what other people might think. One has to be sure of one?s decisions and make them happen. I was guided with what other people might say of my actions and therefore missed many opportunities which might have helped me for the transition to college. I would dare myself to be different from the lot, and to overcome that insecurity or dependency on others. I would encourage myself to just follow my heart and to do whatever it is I, myself think is important for me. After all, each of us make our own future and we are the only ones responsible for what we?ll become. Also, I would recommend myself to be open to the differences people might have, not to judge them based on what others perceive of them; in other words, not to be a follower, but rather, a creator or an inspiration to others.

Kasey

I would tell her that that the most important thing is to take the time to figure things out. Don't allow yourself to be rushed, don't allow others to dictate what you should or should not be studying. Take the furniture making class. Don't take Philosophy because your dad wants you to, he doesn't have to write the papers. Widen your horizons and try every flavor, every type of class. Go outside of your comfort zone and take a chance. Follow your fear, not other people, and stop taking everything so personally! But most of all, I would tell myself that I'm doing a great job. It's a big scary thing, and pretty soon, these giant steps don't seem so giant. Most of all I would tell myself to take a deep breath and enjoy the excitement of those first college days.

Eleanor

I would tell myself, when researching schools, to make sure and carefully examine the required courses for certain majors. I now know how important that is to me. I would also tell myself not to be afraid of applying to private schools. While they cost a lot more than state school, it's often worth it. The New School is a private school and certainly costs a lot, but what I'm getting in return is so much more than I experienced at state schools. I would also tell myself to possibly take one year off to explore options and get a better idea of what I want to study. I went to college right out of highschool and didn't really know what I wanted to focus on. Now I know what my interests are, and it makes school more productive and interesting. While it's important to try new things in college, I think it's better to go with some kind of plan, at least to start with, and then go from there. All that said, I've learned a lot in my college experience from the variety of courses I've taken.

Shushanik

I would advice to go to suburban University. I think when you are a student, it's better to have more space, sports, community events etc. My school is ok, but the fact that it is in the city and there is no space makes the school experience not very interesting.

Kiuana

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is that try to get a job or try to save any kind of money possible towards your college education.

Tess

I would have told myself not to stress out about the whole college thing so much. People put so much pressure on it and it is detrimental. I wish I had spent more of senior year doing more creative and exiting things instead of just sitting around waiting to letters to arrive. College is great, and the right choice for many people but it is important to think about your options before falling into the perscribed routine.

madeline

No matter what people say is a "bad reason not to go to a school," it's you're decision. What matters to them does not mean that it has to matter to you. And you have to realize that it's ok to make a mistake the first time. Finding out that the school you go to after highschool is not what you wanted is not a bad thing. Many people transfer after their first year. It's not as big a deal as you may think. Schools mainly want to know that you are interested in them. If you harass them constantly, you have a higher chance of getting accepted. With that in mind, try to beat the system by taking the SAT or ACT at least twice if not three or four times, and remember that EVERYONE gets into at least one college. SO CALM DOWN!!!!

Barie-Claire

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, there are several words of advice I would give myself. I would tell myself not to doubt what I wanted out of my education and to be as forceful as necessary in order to get what I need. I would make it clear that I should gather any information I need from the most knowledgable resource. I would try to feel more proud of myself, because I fulfilled my dream of coming to New York City. I moved 2000 miles away from everything I knew in order to pursue my own happiness and that is a huge accomplishment in itself. I would tell myself that college is not the only place that one can learn from; that I should rely on the people around me as well as my surroundings to teach me things that I could never learn from a lecture or a book. Most of all I would tell myself to stay true to who I am and not back down for anyone. Only I can make myself truly happy and get what I need out of school, my relationships with other people, and life.

Keely

When seeking the right college for yourself or your child I think everyone should remember that it is a very difficult process. Be honest to yourself and make sure you do your best to find out what the entire experience will be like. Do not focus simply on location, academics or social life but make sure that the school you choose reflects a balance of all of your interests and needs. But more importantly don't be afaid to make the switch if the school you choose does not work out for you. There is always room for a second opportunity, and forcing yourself to stay in a situation you aren't enjoying just because you thought you were going to isn't worth all the fun you could have on your second chance.

Leela

As an upcoming college senior, I began asking older family friends what they all did when they graduated from college. A man told me that he didn't have a first 'real job' until he was forty-five years old. I thought, ?how was that possible?? He told me that from the time he graduated until the time he turned forty-five he?d gone travelling, joined the Peace Corpse and just ?went around the world doing things.? He got married when he was forty and now, at sixty, has an eleven year old son. And he told me ?things turned out O.K.? College provides a wonderful opportunity to jump start a process that could very well take forty-five years to figure out. It?s a great time to explore and experience and a great lesson in just that. There?s no such thing as ?the right college.? We can?t all afford ?the right college.? But there?s the right approach to college, which is making the most of what that institution provides you and to take as long as you want to question its teachings.

Do your best!

Determine realistically how much you can affordable and what your future dreams and goals are. Be sure to attend a school that offers exactly (or at least very close) to what you would like to major in.

Take a tour of all the schools you might be interested in and ask as many questions as possible.

Tanya

do your research.

Douglas

I feel like people forget what it means to go to college. It's a pattern,or a step closer into a certain society's "real world". People forget that college is all about the experience and learning from it. True knowledge comes from true self. College is a significant time to figure that out. We should all find our true passion and what we love doing, and hopefully what you like doing becomes something you are good at, and that in the core, makes you unique as an individual. College should bring the best out of a person, so that he/she may share his/her knowledge or skill for the greater good. If everyone truly understood this time, rather than partying all the time, and trying to be something they are not, it would better not only that one person, but an entire society. Education is the key. You just need to figure out which door it opens.

Sindy

The best advice I can give parents and students to finding the right college, is to not hold back to achieving their dreams. Education is to be explored and it is worth the price to pay for, venture to other places, dream big, and pick the best path and school that will lead you to your dreams. Dream to make a difference, imagine and invision your life there, challenge yourself to grow for the better. Learn to give back to others, and appreciate and do positive choices in your life. Anyone should be able to learn, feel proud of yourself and your achievements. I live by my own motto, "Dreams are possibilities but only your actions and reactions to life will take you there." Focus, and you'll succeed anywhere. :) miles of smiles. Love, Sindy Varela

A college selection should be based on academic programs, faculty, and student life which best fits the needs of the individual planning on attending. College selection begins by browsing academic programs in which an individual plans to study. Be sure to place yourself in an college environment that is conducive to your professional and personal interests. Whether or not you are aware of your particular interests, choose a university that will challenge your views and broaden your current perspectives. Since several universities will have your particular field of study you should then look closely at the faculty. Note your particular learning style and compare that to the techniques used at the university. Notice where the faculty completed undergraduate work and look at the career path they are on currently. The college you choose should have different professors that you view as a positive role model in your field of interest. Finally, look closely into student life and take into consideration your personal and professional goals. Peers will be a heavy influence on your experience of college, make sure to find a campus lifestyle that best fits you.