The New School Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for The New School

Great school but highly expensive. You might need an attorney to check where all your funds are for and what you are being charged for because it can get pretty scary in the Financial Aid office. Check them out. The University is it's own Gem but im not sure if it's as diverse as they portray themselves to be.

JaiOlivia

The New School is a very good school to learn and enhance your skills and technique of your craft or your academic virtue.

Jamie

At first I was a little apprehensive. I was used to colleges having greek life, sports, and a campus. TNS is very non-traditional. It was uncomfortable at first, but now I'm a pro at everything New York has to offer. The students are really nice and filled with righteous passion. The dorms and tuition is very pricey but its completely worth it. The dorms have a million dollar view! The food is gourmet style! I love it here and I would never want to be anywhere else.

Wei

Overall, the new school has an artistic and diverse atmosphere. However, studying here especially in the fashion design major can be super stressful. Most of my friends only have 3 to 4 hours of sleep during school days, and pulling all-nighters are very common for them. The studios in school are always busy even at 3 o'clock in the morning. The work-load is crazy, but you can learn a lot if you can take the pressure.

Grace

"New" is the perfect name for The New School, because one year has made me feel like a new person. Sure, that's cheesy but a little cheese never made anything false. It wasn't easy to remake myself, but the last year made me realize that I can do anything. From our unique narwhale mascot to the intensive style classes, The New School forces you to grow and leaves everyone feeling fresh.

Ilannah

The New School allows me to emphasize on my passion of traditional academics and the arts. As a musician, a writer, and a lover of all things psychology, in any typical college, I would have to choose one of these to be my main focus. At The New School, all of your passions can be combined by either taking unconventional but highly enlightening classes of combined arts/social courses or even creating your own major. I did not know how I would combine my love for psychology with my love for music and prose and I found that The New School is accommodating to all of my creative and academic needs. At so many colleges, the arts is disregarded, for they mainly stick to traditional academic classes and leave it at that. Here, a huge emphasis is placed on the arts, as well as traditional academics and it allows for a creative, intellectual space that is beyond enthusing.

Dana

I think it's a great school with a bunch of diverse classes and people. The location is beneficial to me because I don't live too far from home. Even so, it's a little difficult for people living off-campus to involve themselves in school events. In any case, I enjoyed all that I have learned at this school and if someone is serious about learning, they'll find this school is for them.

Jamara

If your rich and your major is fashion, this school is good for you. This school is extremely expensive, especially if your choose on-campus housing. The classes are driven for fashion. It's in a great location though. You'll have a lot of fun because you're in downtown Manhattan, right between Union Square and 5th Avenue. There's no problem with the students there, but the faculty can be a problem.

Tasmia

If you're a creative person, then this school is a really good option to consider when applying. The system academically is very open to letting you venture and explore the many majors/minors so you can see what you like or dislike. Art on its own is huge both conceptually and physically at this school because many classes/majors and minors will often connect to art in what we're learning. Many professors will often require you to visit a museum for an assignment, and as far as I know from my experience, the museums that I've visited were very interesting and helped me expand my knowledge on art concepts. The buildings that are on campus that I have gone to, have art hanging here and there, so it's also visually appealing. This is, however, still my personal opinion of the school so far after completing my first year.

Safiye

I went to Eugene Lang for my BA in History; minor in Literature. The New School is ideal for self-motivated, hard-working undergraduates looking to be challenged intellectually and for small class sizes. You will only have to take two university-wide lectures during your time at Lang. All other courses are seminars with 7-13 students. The quality of the class is heavily dependent on whether or not you have intelligent peers who are doing the (admittedly) lengthy readings for each class. Seminars are usually conducted using the socratic method. If students don't do readings, class can get painful very fast. Don't be one of these people! It may be fairly easy to coast, but you will be wasting everyone's time (and your own money!). Do the work, push yourselves during midterms and finals to write great research papers, and you will not regret it. -- NS students have access to NYU's Bobst library. It will be home for the next 4 years. --- Oh, and do not live in dorms past your freshman year. --- Other useful advice: intern while you are in school. That is the best advice I can give.

Shulokhana

The school is smack in the middle of New York City. The neighborhood is amazing and there are so many cool classes. The professors are amazing and the people are really nice - it's a very diverse school. One of the best parts is how everyone is so accepting of all race, religions, sexualities etc. The opportunities for internships through the school are varied and really cool as well.

Lily

The teachers run the school. Administration doesn't really care about you, or any of its employees. They're all underpaid even though tuition is so high. The facilities are good, and the teachers are good. I came here on scholarships and I'm still broke, so I would not recommend going here unless you have a lot of financial aid or money- almost half of the students drop out first year because of the cost. You can pass this school doing minimal work so it is up to you to truly apply yourself. With the help of your teachers the new school can be an amazing experience but don't rely on the administrative structure and assistance because it will not help you. My favorite thing about the new school is its diversity. My friends aren't just artists but musicians, film makers, journalists, and actors. The people you meet are what make this school worth it.

Rebecca

The New School is every artist dream. The classes are set up in a way where you can develop and evolve your art style and skills. Everyone is friendly and full of thought and ideas. There are so many facilities to use to create art such as the 3D printing room, wood shop, and graphics lab. Not to mention all of the student services that are ready for you, The only downside to the school is the super expensive tuition at 50K a year.

Ariana

I'm glad that I'm here. Awesome location, most classes are taught in small seminars, and the New School exposes a lot of cool academic events and internships to students. If I had to complain, it would mainly be about the price, and some admin issues (I've been assigned a new academic advisor every semester; I'm able to adjust, but for those who feel that a consistent AA for all four years is a priority, take warning). The student body is extremely diverse internationally and you will make some very cool and interesting friends; you just have to be yourself and be willing to say hi first; us artists and intellectuals can be shy!

Melanie

Overall, the atmosphere in New York City is amazing and very stimulating. The generally small sized classes enable you to really make friends and feel more comfortable to participate and talk to the professor. There are always interesting classes to register for.

Kariah

The new school costs more than Harvard! Which is crazy, but great school, its up to you though to make the best out of it.

Hanna

Very disorganized and inconsistent. Curriculum changes every single year and full time teachers/long time teachers aren't held up to standards. This school has forced me to sacrifice my mental and physical health. The expectations are unexceedably high.

Nina

I feel privileged to attend Grad school at The New School. The classes are small and the professors are friendly & ay most times available. The campus is in the lower part of Manhattan. You will have access to the NYU library. There are many event to attend.

Meg

The New School is a progressive diverse scene which inspires creativity around the clock.

Rockiie

This school is very supportive in social justice such as LGBTQ rights. But it doesn't embrace the heart of the city nor does it host fun events to make the school feel like a community. They need to focus more on the needs of the students and making students actually feel like they're in college not living in the city.

Grace

The New School is a great networking school, but it's very disorganized. The people who run the school are only interested in themselves, so if you wish to make it big, you have to work alone. In terms of academics, you're better off with a community college. The only program worth being at this school is for fashion design.

Erin

I never understood the concept of "school pride." I had always thought it was something sports made up. Then, I came here. Any opportunity you can imagine, you can find a way to create it for yourself here. If you're willing to work hard, there's nowhere this place can't take you, and there's no other school anywhere I would rather attend than this one.

The New School only cares about certain schools. They told me that my major was available only to arrive and it isn't. The RA's are never available when they are supposed to be and the buildings are literally falling apart. The professors really only care about the graduate students, so if you are undergrad good luck. They say that there are many opportunities available but they are only available to upperclassmen. You can forget about picking the classes you want to take because they don't give you room in your schedule to take anything that isn't required.

Katherine

The New School is a University. The College/ Institution I was in is a liberal arts college called Eugene Lang College at The New School. Me, coming from a household where income is very low, the New School is a very expensive private college to go to. For anyone who enjoys to write and study more liberal arts courses like, social studies, economics, etc. Eugene Lang is the perfect school for you. There is alot of reading and papers to do at this school. One of the things I most enjoyed about this college were the professors, at least the ones I had were kind and understanding.

I love how innovative and forward thinking everyone is. The small class atmosphere and open discussion is how I learn best. New York City is your friend, everything is right there in front of you. The only thing I struggle with is the price tag. Yes, there are on campus jobs, but tuition keeps rising every year.

Mollie

It's difficult to talk about the New School without talking about New York City. Maybe that's because it's difficult to be in New York City without talking about the city. It is the most inclusive place on earth; it will open its arms to you, no matter your skin color, political view, or background. The same things can be said of the New School. Of course there are eclectic courses, extensive facilities, and both students and faculty from around the world providing such a rich variety of viewpoints and opinions. Yet perhaps one of the best things the New School can offer its students is a feeling of community; which is odd considering there are no sports teams, Greek life, or actual campus. It offers a sense of belonging - an invitation to be exactly who you are. If you don't have that figured out yet, the New School gives you the freedom to explore your passions and find your niche in the world, with all the opportunities New York City has to offer at your fingertips. The New School is a great university for motivated students wishing to make that huge leap into the belly of the beast - New York City itself.

I appreciate the stimulation The New School for Drama offers. This stimulation comes in many forms: encouraging students to audition professionally, informing them of internship opportunities, enabling them to take classes at Parsons or Eugene Lang in order to fulfill credits, and so much more. However, there are some downsides. There is a lack of ethnic diversity, and the tuition is incredibly expensive. It is not the "liberal" safe haven that it claims to be.

I absolutely love The New School! The intellectual discussions, city life, and wonderful friendships. The college is in an amazing location and I could not ask for a better college experience! I would recommend The New School to any artistically-inclined young person.

Jad-Ev

I have been going here for only 3 months and I absolutely love it! I moved from Lebanon to New York and I feel like this is my second home. The New School is the best place to be for artists to discover their true potential in a world full of never ending possibilities.

Mya

Prior to my attendance, I had never heard of The New School, it wasn't until I began looking into Liberal Arts universities and researching their principles and values that I found and instantly fell in love with this university. They value culture and activism. Social Justice is practically the foundation of this university. They cater to a wide range of interests and career paths. The faculty are beyond helpful and truly care for the students. I have been blessed with amazing professors who are actually workers in their industry of teaching. All possess a passion for teaching and are just endless vaults of knowledge. I am honored to be surrounded by such great people. The New School is innovative and simply amazing.

I think The New School about maintaining a forward, progressive, and evolving mentality about education and curriculum. I feel that meeting the students' needs to learn and succeed in life after college is a huge priority. I also like that they make an extra effort to integrate out-of-classroom experiences with learning.

Edgar Julian

The New School is a university with an extrordinary faculty. Professor who are dedicated 100% with his students. In my own experince, my major professor teach me not only about piano and music, altought she teaches me how to be confident with myself, like music it is not only a profesion, it is a vocation which few people have the opportunity to be parte of the music. The new school, in special Mannes School of Music is a great school for young musician who are looking for develop his emotional and tecnial music skills.

Cheryl

Beware of their dorm and agreement. I was forced to move out two weeks prior to finals at 10pm at night because I was in a class with some one who had mumps. They told me to grab stuff and leave. They did not provide assistance or alternative housing, left to search for hotel room, which they only offered to cover two nights even though I was not allowed back for 14 days. Never received an offer or check for re-embursement. I was locked out of all University buildings until after the school was closed for Winter break. Not feeling safe going back to an environment that can remove you from your living space and with the advice my RA that I could find alternative housing by filling a form. Unfortunately the school refuses to reimburse me for the loss of December housing and is refusing to release me from housing contract for second semester even though I was forced into this by their failure to follow protocol. It seems the school is more interested in money then providing a safe comfortable environment for students. I continue to spend time to advocating for a reasonable resolve. If you have been through something similar perhaps we could collaborate on getting the school to take responsibility for their actions There is less expensive or about the same cost to live off campus in the area. With in 15 – 20 minutes of walking distance. Choose wisely.

Mikayla

The New School is very supportive and all about embracing,cultivating and innovating the minds of the future. All though these are all great qualities sometimes its hard to feel like you fit in due to its reputation and the extremely gifted kids on campus.

Delia

While the academics and opportunities are very good, the community of the school does not exist and the student life is nothing like that of a normal college. I wish there was greek life or more available extra curricular's. Overall, it is a very student competitive school and while the opportunities are good you will not find yourself living a normal college life.

Ben

I went to The New School for my MFA, and after being at a small liberal arts college up in New England for my BA, I was happy to return to my hometown of NYC to pursue my graduate studies. The New School gave me a fairly good financial aid package (grants and fellowships) for my three year MFA program, in which I combined Film & Media Studies, with Theater and Media Criticism in the University's' Schools of Public Engagement. Loved being able to live off campus in my home borough of Brooklyn, and save $$$$ while in grad school as well, after being forced to live on-campus for all four years as an undergraduate. Compared to Hampshire College (1,400 students), The New School is fairly large (10,000+ students), but what I really loved about it was how good of a school it is for creative students, and that unlike NYU, or FIT, or SVA, there is more of an emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach to studying your field of interest. I found New School fairly easy as a graduate student, but I think that was because I'd already attended an undergraduate institution that was like graduate school. Forming a Master's thesis committee, engaging with professors and making connections, writing a thesis or dissertation, doing projects, working in the community, these were all things I came into The New School with already, having done extremely well at the undergraduate level at Hampshire. The New School was a great choice for me as a graduate student who is creative and wanted to continue a career in the arts. I turned down NYU for grad school to attend the New School which I felt was the better choice. I'd already applied and been waitlisted at NYU as an undergraduate, and I vastly preferred The New School's smaller programs, smaller campus, and smaller department sizes. Overall, both universities are VASTLY different sizes student body-wise (NYU is over five times the size of The New School), but The New School just overall "fit" me better and you get the same quality of education (if not better because it's more personalized, especially for undergraduates but graduates also)) that you would get at NYU. I knew so many people (many of them from high school, but also some from Hampshire who chose NYU for grad school) and also just people I worked with who had gone there, and they all felt "lost in the cracks." To have that kind of experience (ESPECIALLY as a graduate student) at a private university did NOT seem worth it to me. Ergo, why I chose both Hampshire and then The New School over NYU. At the graduate level anyway, I'd rather share resources and academically compete against a couple of thousand other postgraduate students at The New School (3, 138 to be exact, smaller than my High School in Brooklyn which was just over 4,000 students) then compete with 24,706 other postgraduates at NYU. No thanks. The beautiful new campus center on 5th Avenue that was completed in 2014, was not yet in existence when I was at The New School, and wow, is it an AMAZING building or what? That's indicative of the vibrant campus culture that The New School has, and I hope the campus keeps growing and evolving. If you are a creative student, I truly believe that The New School is actually better than NYU, especially at the graduate level, and I would think at the undergraduate level as well. Can't recommend it enough.

Katherine

The New School prides itself on its very unique view of education within academia. While The New School does excel in providing interesting and profitable opportunities for the students, as well as cultivating a very hands-on learning experience with a student body made of engaged innovators, there also tends to lie some hypocrisy within the university. With the college's rich history of political activism and social justice - of which the school claims to be the fundamentals of its creation - it seems contradictory to have such an egregiously expensive tuition cost. While yes, The New School is very generous with financial aide and scholarships, this does not reverse the obvious display of contradiction; claims of activism and social justice, but only for the few who can access them financially.

Meagan

The New School is accepting, helpful and an exceptional institution to study. When I was researching graduate programs, I new I wanted a top-tier education. The New School is nothing short of that. Marc Jacobs and Donna Karen are alumni of the institution and that was a big plus for me. Before I got accepted, I took a tour and the faculty was helpful and engaged. Now that I am a student, I enjoy my courses. Every course I've taken so far, has helped me understand media and the role I would like to play in it. Since my class size is always under 30 students, I get 1-on-1 attention from my professor. I also love interacting with my colleagues on a personal level. Finally, my professors guide me in the media business and assist me when I need help the most. The New School is truly one-of-a-kind and I am very thankful for my experience.

Mary

The New School is a great school for students that have enough money to pay off their tuition. The courses that the school offers are good but this is a school mainly for Fashion students. I think The New School overall is pretty good but very expensive so you will need to save up a lot of money to attend this school.

inaya

The New School is the number 1 design school in the US as of 2018. Since New York City is your campus, there are so many things to go, places to go, and people to meet! The school is heavily discussion based which is a little different from normal schools, but hey being different is great! We encourage it!

Kyle

I think the New School is a place not only to learn about the arts, but to truly get involved in them. The school has great facilities and has a great vibe, not to mention it is in the gnarliest city there is. The school is very big on getting you involved in the current problems of today and are always there to support each and every student. The students that attend The New School are great individuals all trying to find themselves and to experiment and discover new things as they grow into mature young adults all while being unique to themselves. This school has aloud me to open my eyes to how much there is to explore in this life and you only have so much time to do so, therefore why not try it all. This school has so much to offer with top of the line equipment, endless adventures in the big apple, free access to museums, great housing, the best food and so much more. I think that The New School is a place for unique and talented individuals to get to gather and discover themselves not only preparing them to be the best at what they do whether that be art, music or writing; but to prepare them for the real world.It is because of all of this that I couldn't be more happy with my choice to go to The New School.

Riana

The new school is great for people who care a lot about the world that going on around them. They understand that fine arts is the future of humanity. Everyone is very vocal about their opinions and don't mind listening to other and learning their reasoning on why they think that way.

Alyssa

It's in the village of NYC that makes it the perfect place to get anything at any time. It's not the school for you if you're looking for greek life and the ability to drive, but if your looking for underground concerts, crazy art kids, and the ability to experiement with your major then you're home. Some people like being trapped in the middle of nowhere on a campus but for everyone who likes having the freedom to explore and grab great pizza at midnight on a wednesday, NYC is the place for you. There are classes you wouldn't find anywhere else, oppertunities for jobs both on and off campus, and a fun mix of clubs and intramural sports. If you love fine art, music, or looking at the humanities in a new way, The New School is for you.

Alexis

I absolutely love my school's community, there are so many talented students who love to support each other. The school itself could work on communicating with students in all aspects as opposed to students having to figure things out themselves. Overall, The New School is the perfect place for students who love creative and artistic freedom.

Anthony

The New School lives up to its reputation as an all inclusive progressive institution that provides a conducive environment for students to learn and experiment on New and creative ways to solve problems in a dynamic world. I am enjoying my time here and feel I am growing in my field of study.

Chelsea

So far, amazing. It is a very unique school and a very big city - New York City. It stands out compared to the other schools due to the community and the students. I am very interested in this school and would love to see other students come here more often.

Amy

It is a very nice school with excellent security and housing. There are supportive teachers who focuses on each students individual needs. It is an overly expensive school, but the environment is unlike any other.

Kelly

Love it

Ariana

I love The New School and find that there are many great connections and opportunities within the campus, as well. The professors are very helpful and available always! I will be starting my second semester at the school shortly and have really enjoyed what the school has to offer so far. The location is great because it's a very safe and comfortable area, as well as accessible to many transportation options throughout the city.

Sophie

This review is merely based on what I've seen of the New School so far, through the tour I've taken and research I've done. I look forward to actually meeting my peers and experiencing everything TNS has to offer. I cannot wait to participate in the rich artistic community of the New School.