The Sage Colleges

« See more reviews of The Sage Colleges

I would tell myself: "It is going to be a lot of work that you are not expecting. College is going to require a lot more time and effort that you didn't use in High School. The experience is going to make you a better person; a more well-rounded knowledgable human being, but in order to achieve this you must work very hard, putting forth your highest efforts into everything you do. Don't ever judge anyone and accept everyones opinions because everyone has that right. Don't overthink things. Make sure you get a lot of rest. As hard as it is sometimes, try to never skip a class, you miss one day in college, it's like three weeks in High School. Pay attention to every word your professors say. Leave enough time for both homework and you time, whether it be friends or just for yourself alone. Whenever you're feeling stressed, don't hesitate to ask for help, from God or from a professional. And make sure you always ask questions if you don't understand. Be kind to everyone and give or offer help whenever needed. Love everyone and be a strong woman."

I would go back and tell myself to start off at my local community college. It is so difficult to know exactly what you want to do and after changing my major I wish I would've originally gone to an institution lower in cost before accumulating debt and student loans for a program I am no longer in. I would tell myself that no matter how smart you are you can still obtain a 4 year degree after completing a 2 year degree program. I would also tell myself that it's ok to stay in and study for although you may have missed a party, missing an exam is a much bigger price. I would tell myself to trust yourself and actually do the homework no matter how much you think you know the material. Overall though I would stress the importance of using all your resources such as labs on campus, professor office hours, and online resources in the student library. I would tell myself to sleep more, eat better, and procrastinate less. I would make myself promise to not doubt or fear asking a question some may think to be dumb. Smile, laugh, live, and LEARN!!!!

I would tell myself what I tell many high school students now, what you do, or do not do, while in high school is more important than you can comprehend right now. I was focused on having fun I never fully understood the S.A.T. or studied for it. I would tell myself to look for scholarships, and not to ignore the topic simply because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. These past choices have made it so that I do not really know what it is like to have the full college "transition" because I could not afford it. I do not know what living on campus is like or how it is to make that "transition." I could only hope that my high school self would listen to my college self so that maybe I could have these experiences. Truely, there is no going back, so I have dedicated myself to my education and to moving forward. One day I might work in a school and be able to tell the equivilant of my own high school self this very same advice, allowing them to succeed to their full academic potential.

Janna, No matter what is going on in your life and how much you feel like giving up it's more than important to keep going it's essential I was able to make it to college and its a whole new world. Struggling with academics is not easy but you will find the techniques that will work for you and you will gain an amazing support system. I never imagined I would end up at Russell Sage college being that I was at two other colleges but the one thing I would tell you from experience is that if there is a college that you have an interest in then go. No matter how many people tell you not to. do it. it changed my life. and what your passionate about major in it. if people tell you not to. do it. I feel like I wasted my time in other classrooms before this but I would not change it for the world. If there is something that you are not passionate about from friends to work to self image change it. Most importanly always challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone. It is very fufilling :)

To the parents of future college students I would say be willing to help out. College can be financially hard but if your child knows that you are there for them if they need help it can make the whole experience much easier to adjust to. Also, be there for your child to talk to. Listen to them talk about their professors and their school work, be interested in what they are learning and doing with their life. To the students I would say don't be afraid to try new things. Whether or not you go to college knowing what you want to study you might change your mind. if you close yourself off to new experiences you never know what you might have learned and how many good friends you could have met along the way. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. I know that once you are in college you might feel like you are on your own, but there are always people there to help you. Last of all, just enjoy yourself. College is a great life experience and you should live it to the fullest.

Russell Sage shaped who I am today. My professors cared for me and took the time to invest in my future. I learned how to think, read, write and speak critically. I learned about issues that mattered to me and how to actively engage with my world. My education prepared me for the rest of my life with the necessary skills to succeed (and despite the poor economy, I do have a great job!). I also developed friendships that will last a lifetime. The bonds that I have with my classmates are amazing and were only developed because of the environment that Russell Sage created. I am, without a doubt, the person I am today because of Russell Sage College. Attending this amazing institution gave me the courage to become a woman of influence, break the glass ceiling and live phenomenally. I am ever so grateful for every person who gave their time, energy, passion and knowledge so that I could have the experience I did.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the main advice that I would give myself is to study and to make sure that you have an effective studying technique in order to do well in class. When I was in high school I never had to study in order to pass my classes but now that I am in college I find it difficult to do just that. Even though I studied hard my first semester for every test and quiz and studied out of the books my grades were still not what I wanted them to be. I realized that I needed to have an effective studying technique that would make me retain the information because in high school I never learned how to study. I now make flash cards or highlight the most important things to study and focus less on the whole chapter but I am still trying nto figure out a better studying technique. Studying is so important in college so I wish I had known that in high school.

To find the right college, the student must be dedicated to visiting many college campuses and seriously consider their desires in regards to an undergraduate institution and education. There are many factors to consider, such as size, location, quality, and programs. After selecting one's "perfect choice," studying and taking chances will help make the most of the college experience. Studying will ensure succes in one's education, while taking chances such as running for class president will open opportunities for personal growth. Giving other students of all backgrounds a chance will also open one's mind to diversity and cultures. This will also ensure a fun social life, as it allows for friendships to develop. Overrall, to make the most of one's college experience, one must be dedicated to their studies, be open to diversity, and most of all, have courage to experience the unknown.

I would tell myself to ask questions and ask for help when needed. To not stand idlely and watch life and new opportunies pass me by. I would let myself know that I was and am now smart and intelligence and capable. Most of all of this can be summarized as: I needed to be more proactive in my own future. The fear of the transition from highschool to college had me paralyzed for a long time. I felt ill prepared and confused and lost. Looking back I realise I didn't need to be more prepared by others, I just needed to have more confidence in myself. At my core I always had what was needed to transition smoothly from high school to college and had I only recognized that it was there, overshadowed with self-doubt and anxiety, I would have blossomed and realised my true potential so much sooner than I ultimately did.

As amazing as it would be to be able to change my life going all the way back to senior year of high school, I wouldn't want to change anything. I cannot imagine where my own advice could have gotten me. However, I am going to school to become a high school guidance counselor and will one day be able to help people much like the high school senior version of myself. The most important and yet least life altering thing I would tell myself and will tell future students is that young people are allowed and need to make mistakes. It is best to make mistakes while they are still young. I would also say that mistakes are very necessary for personal growth. I am currently in a great place in my life and would not risk telling myself anything else that could drastically change the course of my life.