Tuscaloosa, AL
The University of Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Alabama

Todd

Tuscaloosa is a college town. The atmosphere around the college is great. Birmingham is not too far away if you want a big city climate of stores. The campus is beautiful during the fall and spring. Parking absolutely sucks. Our school President sucks. Our tuition keeps going up with no end in sight. The freshman facilities are some of the best in the nation. There is always something to do. People are really friendly.

UA is a very diverse school. There are students here from every different background you can imagine. But for the most part, students are probably white Alabamians. However, there is nothing like Southern Hospitality. The Greek system is really segregated but you don't see too many people trying the knock those doors down so there really isn't any tension there. For the most part, students are very tolerant but you will find idiots at every campus.

OUR SCHOOL PRESIDENT IS HORRIBLE. Parking Sucks. I think I've said this before but its the truth. OUR SCHOOL PRESIDENT NEEDS TO BE FIRED.

We do party alot but we take classes seriously as well. We do love football, but not too much. There are no Friday classes once you hit upperclassmen classes. Greeks are jerks

What you put in is what you get out. If want to study, you will study. No one is here to hold your hand. If you want, you can get an education equivalent to that of any "Top" school in America. If you want to just party, you can do that too. My favorite class was Classics 222 with Kirk Summers. It was Greek and Roman Mythology. My worst class was TCF 112 and MC 101. Don't take college of communication classes. The business school is very much about giving you a great education while at the same time working with you to find a full time job.

Many people are Greek. Football is the thing to do on the weekends during the fall. If you don't like football, buy tickets and sell them for a profit. There are things to do if you don't want to drink. However, there's plenty of alcohol for those who do. My favorite thing to do when I was a underclassmen was to go to friends dorms and play video games and drink. Now, I go to friends apartments and do about the same thing. There are plenty of bars around and right on campus for those who want to go.

We drink alot. We party alot. We love football too much. We love Bear Bryant too much. We live in the past. There are no friday classes. Greeks are jerks

Most people are thrilled at the idea that I go to UA. It was always a dream of mine, and my family is so happy it came true. UA is such a great place and has such a great atmosphere. UA is the idea college town. Even though I do not live on campus, I still have great experiences because I do live in this town.

The student body at UA is quite diverse. I graduated with only 50 people in my class, then I come to UA with over 25000 students! It isn't hard to make friends, especially when you are a freshman. As a senior, I think it is hard to make new friends simply because by this point most students have already formed their inner circles.

UA is a great place. If you want to meet a lot of new people that are completely different than what you are used to, UA is the place. We have so much to do here that you can never get bored. The academics are excellent and most students will have a job as soon as they graduate!

I think to some extent the stereotypes are accurate. Students here do love to party, but that is not what we are all about.

The academics at UA are good. I sometimes feel like the classes I take are not hard enough. I sometimes feel like I am still in high school when it comes to how much studying I actually have to do. Don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of studying to do in some classes, but for the most part they aren't all that hard. I really dislike the core curriculum. Had that not been in place, I may have decided a major and stuck with it. I kept changing my major simply because I had too much time to think about it. For some, that may be good. Now that I am fixing to graduate, I wish I would have stuck with what I originally wanted to do, which was teaching. But over the years, so many people told me the negatives of it, that I decided I would do what others wanted me to do.

There is never a dull moment at UA. You can always find something to do! Even if you are not 21, most bars still allow people 18 and up. If you are not into the bar scene, you can always usually find a group of people just hanging out in their dorm or apartment. Of course sports at UA are constantly going on.

One of the most common stereotypes about UA students would definitely be that we do not do anything but party. And of course, UA is looked at as a 'party school.'

The best thing about UA is football season. One thing i would change is the "party atmosphere". I think the size is just right. When i tell people im from UA the automatically put me in the "drunk" category of their friends, and that is the exact opposite of who i am. I spend most of my time at my apartment or the business library when im not in class. Definantly a college town! The administration is ok, i think it could be better. The business schools facutly is the best on campus. My friends wish they had advisors like i do in the business school. I think the administration could do more work in the fact that UA students as a whole are very divided. I wish it was more of a "family of students" atmoshpere rather than a greek vs. non greek atmosphere. I do not know what the biggest controversy is. School pride is mainly in football season and then quickly dies. I wish there was more school pride. Students complaints deal with having multiple tests on the same day, the very long line at the stadium for the first game last season, and COMCAST (for people off campus...they suck)

There are obviously racial issues here because tuscaloosa city is heavily african american. i wish the Christian crowd was more prominant on campus than it is. There is every kind of group here at UA so unless you cant find "your kind of people" then people dont seem to feel left out. freshman year might be the only time someone feels left out because of the strong greek system. which i think is very sad because once you make it to your sophmore and junior years you realize that none of that matters. t-shirt and jeans are a staple in student wardrobe in class. you might have a handfull in PJ's and maybe 30% dressed casual. Four tables: Sorority/Frat. table, Punk type people, "independants" (non-greek), African American. Most UA students are in-state. Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, and Trusville are citys alot of instate people come from. A lot from Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. Most prevalent finiancial background can be described as "Old Money". Very politically aware, and make their views known. You find all kinds from right to left.

I wish the student body as a whole, not as groups, would be more connected. I know the size of UA restricts that, but because of not being connected with other students at my school through something (like an organization...) it makes me want to transfer to a smaller school. you might feel at home with your group of friends, but you dont feel at home as a UA family.

It depends on what your major is and what your class sizes are if your professor knows your name. As you get into upper division classes they seem to make more of an effort to want to know who you are. Its the students responisbility to introduce themselves for the most part. Favorite class is MKT300 with Dr. Reynolds. My least favorite would have to be any english class. It depends on the student to say how much they study. I have just recently started studying up to a week and a 1/2 before a test. class participation is more common in upper division classes. but always common if points and/or extra credit is given for attendance. i think the honor students and/or the students in the top 5% on their class are competitive, but thats about it. I am an accounting major and i strongly believe we have to best faculty, teachers and advisors. it has VERY hard classes and the teachers treat us and give tests to us like we are smarter that we really are. so the tests are very hard. but they offer their time to help you and they are very focused on being 15th in the nation for undergrad accounting schools. i do not know if UA as a whole is geared toward post graduation jobs but i know the accounting school is. i would be giving a conservative percentile when i say 85% of accounting students have a job waiting on them before they even graduate.

Most known groups on campus would be Sor./Frat. groups, SGA senate and officers, Capstone Men and Women, and the football team. I am involved in Student Alumni Association. I will hopefully form that organization into being more known on campus and a much bigger deal to be apart of. I did not leave my dorm room open unless i was in it freshman year. Athletic events are most popular (football and gymnastics being the most attended). that normally depends on if we are good or bad. theater and speakers are popular if its required for a class. I have only met a few guys i would consider dating, if that tells you anything. and none of them are fraternaty guys. Met my friends and roommates through bible study. If i am awake at 2 am on tuesday is because im studying, or me and my roommates are hanging out in the apt. Traditions = football and tailgating. You can find someone partying at any moments on anyday. The students make being apart of a sor/frat very important. I went to a dinner and a movie with friends last friday and then came home to study. Staying at home with other friends who dont drink, bowling, a movie, a concert...are things you can do that doesnt involve drinking. but people who do drink do the same things, just have alcohol with them. I live off campus.

Party School, Drug School, Drunks, Drinking School

Tate

I think things are spread out quite a bit. I like campus though. I think it's pretty, and I feel relatively safe when walking on campus. However, I feel things were not helped by taking away parking and developing a bus system.

I think the student body is diversified. They are also very laid back. People can go to class in sweats and running shorts when they are in undergrad. It's kind of nice. I don't feel like I can do that in grad school though.

I hate that I go to a school that will spend so much money on a football coach, but I went to classes in Adams where the rooms smelled like mold and are in dire need of updating!!! I also can't stand how football takes over our city, or the negative attitudes football fans have towards the fans of other teams!

I have great professors. My experience here as an undergrad student was awesome, and graduate school is good too! My professors are so helpful and go out of their way to help me.

HOnestly, I dont' know how to answer this!!!

I think UA still has the rep of being a party school. Also, I don' t think people realize UA has some great academic programs

Laura

The best thing about UA is the beauty of the campus. I've always wanted to go to school there, and now I'm living my dream (online, but that's where most dreams take place nowadays). The one thing I'd change is David Black. I'd not let him teach Econ anymore. School is probably too large if I were on campus, but online, it's just right. The reaction I get from people depends on who they are and what fan base they fit in. Mississippi State folks are usually okay with it...my Ole Piss fans laugh at it.... and of course Tennessee and Auburn fans...we don't acknowledge them anyways. When I'm on campus, most time is spent in the bookstore...and the Ferguson Center...because that's usually the only time I come to campus...until this year...and it'll be spent at Bryant Stadium :-). T-Town is definitely a college town...no question asked. UA's administration...I haven't had much dealings with them, but the University itself seems to be pretty stable so I'm assuming they're alright... There is a TON of school pride at UA, and the most unusual thing is...well....me I suppose.... The one experience from UA that I'll always remember is...my dream come true.

The financial background most prevalent in UA is students whose parents have a little money to spare...until they have to pay tuition....

pretty much.... unless you go there

Professors don't konw my name at UA because their assistants do all the grading. My favorite class was Microcomputer applications...my least favorite (so far) is microeconomics and statistics. Students study time differs from the activities of their lives... Students here are very competitive... I'm in the business administration major...it's okay...could do without some of the certain teachers in it though....just a few though.... Academic requirements at Bama are very fair..thus far... And I'm still trying to determine if the education at UA is geared towards getting a job or learning for it's own sake....ask me when I graduate.

the most popular team on campus would have to be the football team. i'm not involved with any groups, and i doubt the students in the dorms leave their doors open when they're not in there. if i'm awake at 2am on a tuesday, i'm probably doing homework. traditions...too many to name...bonfire is a big one though.... i'm not into greeks.... people party 24/7 around that place.... saturday night activities that don't involve drinking are probably sitting at home with parents...or going bowling in TTown.... off campus, i live and work...

Prestige level and being haughty

Mitch

The University of Alabama is a wonderful place to attend college and have a great time doing so. The academic standards are high and you will be assured to get a good education. I would, however, like to see a new president. Dr. Robert Witt is determined to grow the school to a point where the campus will become too crowded. Add to this the fact that parking is already an issue, and you will find that this is not a very good idea. We have a nice town, with what I believe is just the right amount of entertainment for the students. Alabama has great pride in the tradition carried by our athletics, but there are also other things, such as comradere and southern hospitality that make this a top-notch institution.

Alabama has a farily diverse socio-economic background. Students range in ethnicity from Caucasion to Asian to African-American to even South American. Being in the deep south, it is no secret that Southern Baptist Christians probably make up the majority of believers on campus, but there is also a great deal of liberal ideaology that is prevalent in younger people in Alabama. Most student are middle-class Americans, and a lot of interaction between different groups occurs the longer you are in school. One thing I will say is that Alabama does seem to be somewhat "grouped", in that most ethnical backgrounds seem to associate with one another, but as with income based issues, the ethical issue seems to diminsh with time.

In some ways, yes, but as stereotypes go, there is always a group that do not conform. Its is true we love football and drinking, but the quality of a degree from the University of Alabama should never be called into question.

The education at the University of Alabama, especially in the business school, is unlike any other. From the relatively small class sizes, expected class participation, and availability of instructors out-of-class, Alabama makes for a great place to learn your preferred field. Also, professors put a great deal of emphasis on the job-finding aspect of things. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.

The Student Government Association at the University is run by the Greeks. This is a major problem that I believe needs to be addressed in the near future. As I said before, many students go to bars at all times during the week and there is a lot of diversity that leads to a large selection of a potential partner. Nothing compares to the athletics at the University,though, when looking for a common interest. I would say 98% of students love their football, and nothing will change that fact.

Football fanatics, Students love to party and drink constantly, A bunch of rednecks that are getting a "dumbed-down" education

Parker

I am truly blessed to be attending the University of Alabama. Every day, as I walk across the Quad, I take a moment to look around and take in everything, realizing I only have a few years as a student here. As a member of the College of Arts & Sciences, I have a plethora of academic opportunities and course options to explore. The organization of the Arts portion and the Sciences portion is executed exceptionally well, allowing for all students in the college to receive a thorough and exceptional education, both academically and socially.

Despite the Capstone's location within the heart of the Deep South, I was pleasantly surprised with the diversity of the student body. I personally am a caucasian male, and am deeply involved with the Greek community and my Southern Baptist church. However, there are many unique students throughout the campus, and i feel that the University and its students encourage diverse and unique individuality, specifically through the Crossroads program, which strives to connect students of different cultural backgrounds. There is also a multicultural sorority on campus that hosts many cultural festivals and events.

Most stereotypes are the reflection of a small percentage of a group of people. The students at the University of Alabama are as intelligent and have the same abilities as students at any other college or university. The fact that many students have southern accents is not a reflection of their abilities.

As a member of the Honors Program, I am blessed to be involved in classes with students willing to learn and professor eager to educate. For example, I am currently taking a course on public policy taught by Dr. William Stewart. I am one of eleven students in the class, and Dr. Stewart takes personal interest in each one of us. I know all of my peers, and have gotten to know almost each one of them on a deep personal level. We support each other in our academic trials and successes.

The University provides many opportunities to enjoy time with friends. As a member of a fraternity, I enjoy many different social activities, including band parties, formals, parties with sororities, and various other social events. But I also enjoy social involvement with many other students through intramural sports, theater and dance performances, events sponsored by the student dorm advisors, and athletic events. Football games are especially important social events. Students, alumni, and families spend hours enjoying food and drink while tailgating before and after games.

Students at the University of Alabama are perceived as many of the people who call the "Deep South" home. Descriptions include "redneck", "hayseed", "hick", or backwards, all of which have the connotation of unintelligence or agrarian. Students may also be labeled as racist.

UA's administration desperately needs work. The overall consensus view of our university president who shall remain nameless is that he's a wackjob. He wants to get 25,000 undergraduate students by 2011 so he has lowered admissions standards, which hurts the value of alumni degrees. But despite this surge of new freshman every year, tuition continues to rise unchecked. Also, there is not enough housing to accommodate the people who already go here and since freshman are now required to live on campus, there is strong pressure on upperclassmen to move off campus, which is unfair because we deserve to live here just as much as anyone else. The campus is beautiful and there is no feeling like waking up on a Saturday morning in the fall and smelling ribs barbecuing from all the way across campus, getting up and going to the stadium and feeling like you are at home, with 90,000 of your closest friends. The Crimson Tide makes everything worth it...and the university cafeteria food is actually pretty good.

People don't dress up for class here. It's absolutely a jeans-and-Tshirt environment. People tend to be more conservative politically but there is also a strong base of liberals. The majority of people tend to kind of just go with the flow, not rocking the boat too much. Sports and food unite us, so racial tensions are not evident on the surface of probably 95-97% of people. People tend to be religious but not so much as to discriminate against other religious groups. There are a lot of international students. Money is a major driving point in people studying and going to class.

True, there isn't a high percentage of minority students here, but there are so many people that even a small percentage constitutes a strong number of people. The Greek System is substantial but that does not mean that everyone is a member or that those who are spend all of their time drunk. Business is a popular major, but so is Nursing, Interior/Fashion Design, Criminal Justice and Biology, just to name a few.

Teachers as a whole do care about their students. Until you get into an upper division, classes tend to be lecture style and quite large, but you generally have a Graduate Teaching Assistant that you can go to in smaller groups to discuss issues and questions. I have yet to meet a teacher who was not warm, accommodating and caring. Southern hospitality is very contagious, apparently. Most students don't have to study that often, just before the tests because the teachers know what they're talking about and we don't really have to study to get it. Humanities courses tend to just be knowledge for knowledge's sake, but core and major classes are more geared toward "this is what you need to know to work out in the real world and here's why."

Alabama College Democrats and UA Republicans are popular groups. Greek organizations are pretty big. FATE (Future Alumni for Tradition and Excellence) is probably the most popular group -- they have pizza/other food parties and go on riverboat rides and are just basically a networking group. Homecoming is big deal every year and we have a big bonfire on the Quad. Dead Week (the week before finals) and the week of finals, the library becomes a social gathering place and it is worthless for studying but it's probably the most fun you'll have outside of football season. There is a strong Christian youth presence here and there is always something to do with Calvary Baptist Church and their many youth organizations where substance-free individuals would feel more at home.

A lost of people think that UA is an all-white institution and that we are is a bunch of frat guys and sorority girls who get trashed every night and all major in business.

Wil

School pride here in Tuscaloosa seems to be over flowing. Athletics are more than a past time here, they consume not only the university but the town as a whole. Fun is always around the corner, in fact you have to try to have a bad time. People often have a joke about Alabama when they find out that you attend UA, but if they ever come visit they will fall in love with UA 99% of the time.

There is a strict division on campus between greeks and independents. Although, contrary to what one may think, this division is more strongly perpetuated by the independent community. UA is also a predominantly conservative school. Casual wear is what you will find on most UA students. (t-shirt, or a knit shirt)

Better like football. It is a religion at UA. You are expected to know the history of the program at risk of humiliation.

Some of the stereotypes are accurate, although, UA is a much better academic school than people give it credit. UA is also more open minded than I expected when I transfered to the University.

Academics can go either way here, depending on your major. Business and Communications are highly ranked year in and year out among public universities. On the other hand, as with any school, you can find majors that are boringly easy.

Bars. Fraternaty houses fresh/soph years.

Southern, bad academics, football school, party school, closed minded,

Mary

Tuscaloosa is such a college town. I could not imagine spending my college years anywhere else. People flock to campus on football gameday weekends, which are some of the best weekends of my life. The atmosphere on the Quad is so much fun, with everyone tailgating, the school spirit is contagious! We all have a lot of school pride especially now that we have Nick Saban for a coach and we have the number 1 recruiting class in the nation! Since I grew up in Alabama, I could never go to a school where there was no school spirit for a football team. I did not plan on going to Alabama my whole life as you would expect. I did not decide that I liked the school until I visited in my Junior year of high school and was eventually convinced that it is the most beautiful, and fun campus I could wish to attend.

Like I said before, different types of students do interact. I am in a Greek organization but I also have many non-Greek friends. Being Greek gave me a lot of opportunities to make friends, which I am all about. By joining other organizations on campus, you can be sure to have a wide variety of friends. Just join organizations that fit your interests and you will be able to make friends with different types of people. There are always people who are stuck on their own group, but you don't want to hang out with them anyway; that's just so high school.

I feel like I've said it all! I enjoyed this survey and talking about things that I know best about UA. Here I have met the most wonderful friends and my boyfriend of a year and I owe it all to this campus!

Are we football fanatics? Yes! I'll get to that later. Greek life and partying? Yes and No. I am Greek and I do like to party, but that is not all that I do. I have a lot of friends who are Greek and don't like to party, others who are non-Greeks who do like to party, and vice-versa. It all depends on the person. Many of my non-Greek friends are very active on campus and do not need to be affiliated with any Greek organization to do so. The campus is very diverse, so everyone can find their niche in an organization that fits them. You can have friends that are both Greek and non-Greek; you are not limited to one type of people to hang out with. It is all in what you choose to do with you time.

My freshman year, I was very involved in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative. The friends that I made through this program were very unique and I could always have an intellectual conversation with them outside of class. Students vary at the University. Many are just trying to get by in their classes, and others such as those in Blount and the Honors Program want to gain some extra knowledge from their college education. The Blount Program is a four year program in the College of Arts and Sciences that can be taken as a Minor. Students take 2 literature classes during their freshman year that are held in the Blount dorm. These classes explore the liberal arts and encourage discussion about the different authors like Freud, Descartes, Marx, Toni Morrison, Camus and E.O. Wilson (a notable UA Alumni). The classes for Upperclassmen are more fun because students can choose which ones they would like to take, depending on their interests. These include Yoga, Book Arts, Photography, Star Wars and Religion, Law, and others that are more specific to the sciences and classic literature.

Some of the most important social events of the year revolve around football games: University Programs hosts a concert for Homecoming week, the fraternities and sororities have competitions during Homecoming, and fraternities host band parties every weekend in the fall. With my sorority, I have a few date parties a semester, that I can invite my boyfriend or a guy friend to go with me to. I also try to go to all of the swaps at fraternity houses with my pledge sisters so that I can get to know my friends better, and met new people. There is always a show put on UA Department of Theatre and Dance and they are usually very good to see. My favorite is Dance Alabama!, which is held once every semester. University Programs also sponsors guest speakers, there are many festivals that you can attend, foreign food tastings, etc. Church groups also host social events on campus. No matter your interests or friends you can always find something to do.

Whenever I talk to people from other schools, they always ask if I am Greek and if I party a lot. UA is stereotypically a party school and most people assume that you have to be Greek to be involved on campus. Also, they say we are football fanatics!

The University of Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.