Tuscaloosa, AL
The University of Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Alabama

Wil

School pride here in Tuscaloosa seems to be over flowing. Athletics are more than a past time here, they consume not only the university but the town as a whole. Fun is always around the corner, in fact you have to try to have a bad time. People often have a joke about Alabama when they find out that you attend UA, but if they ever come visit they will fall in love with UA 99% of the time.

There is a strict division on campus between greeks and independents. Although, contrary to what one may think, this division is more strongly perpetuated by the independent community. UA is also a predominantly conservative school. Casual wear is what you will find on most UA students. (t-shirt, or a knit shirt)

Better like football. It is a religion at UA. You are expected to know the history of the program at risk of humiliation.

Some of the stereotypes are accurate, although, UA is a much better academic school than people give it credit. UA is also more open minded than I expected when I transfered to the University.

Academics can go either way here, depending on your major. Business and Communications are highly ranked year in and year out among public universities. On the other hand, as with any school, you can find majors that are boringly easy.

Bars. Fraternaty houses fresh/soph years.

Southern, bad academics, football school, party school, closed minded,

Mary

Tuscaloosa is such a college town. I could not imagine spending my college years anywhere else. People flock to campus on football gameday weekends, which are some of the best weekends of my life. The atmosphere on the Quad is so much fun, with everyone tailgating, the school spirit is contagious! We all have a lot of school pride especially now that we have Nick Saban for a coach and we have the number 1 recruiting class in the nation! Since I grew up in Alabama, I could never go to a school where there was no school spirit for a football team. I did not plan on going to Alabama my whole life as you would expect. I did not decide that I liked the school until I visited in my Junior year of high school and was eventually convinced that it is the most beautiful, and fun campus I could wish to attend.

Like I said before, different types of students do interact. I am in a Greek organization but I also have many non-Greek friends. Being Greek gave me a lot of opportunities to make friends, which I am all about. By joining other organizations on campus, you can be sure to have a wide variety of friends. Just join organizations that fit your interests and you will be able to make friends with different types of people. There are always people who are stuck on their own group, but you don't want to hang out with them anyway; that's just so high school.

I feel like I've said it all! I enjoyed this survey and talking about things that I know best about UA. Here I have met the most wonderful friends and my boyfriend of a year and I owe it all to this campus!

Are we football fanatics? Yes! I'll get to that later. Greek life and partying? Yes and No. I am Greek and I do like to party, but that is not all that I do. I have a lot of friends who are Greek and don't like to party, others who are non-Greeks who do like to party, and vice-versa. It all depends on the person. Many of my non-Greek friends are very active on campus and do not need to be affiliated with any Greek organization to do so. The campus is very diverse, so everyone can find their niche in an organization that fits them. You can have friends that are both Greek and non-Greek; you are not limited to one type of people to hang out with. It is all in what you choose to do with you time.

My freshman year, I was very involved in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative. The friends that I made through this program were very unique and I could always have an intellectual conversation with them outside of class. Students vary at the University. Many are just trying to get by in their classes, and others such as those in Blount and the Honors Program want to gain some extra knowledge from their college education. The Blount Program is a four year program in the College of Arts and Sciences that can be taken as a Minor. Students take 2 literature classes during their freshman year that are held in the Blount dorm. These classes explore the liberal arts and encourage discussion about the different authors like Freud, Descartes, Marx, Toni Morrison, Camus and E.O. Wilson (a notable UA Alumni). The classes for Upperclassmen are more fun because students can choose which ones they would like to take, depending on their interests. These include Yoga, Book Arts, Photography, Star Wars and Religion, Law, and others that are more specific to the sciences and classic literature.

Some of the most important social events of the year revolve around football games: University Programs hosts a concert for Homecoming week, the fraternities and sororities have competitions during Homecoming, and fraternities host band parties every weekend in the fall. With my sorority, I have a few date parties a semester, that I can invite my boyfriend or a guy friend to go with me to. I also try to go to all of the swaps at fraternity houses with my pledge sisters so that I can get to know my friends better, and met new people. There is always a show put on UA Department of Theatre and Dance and they are usually very good to see. My favorite is Dance Alabama!, which is held once every semester. University Programs also sponsors guest speakers, there are many festivals that you can attend, foreign food tastings, etc. Church groups also host social events on campus. No matter your interests or friends you can always find something to do.

Whenever I talk to people from other schools, they always ask if I am Greek and if I party a lot. UA is stereotypically a party school and most people assume that you have to be Greek to be involved on campus. Also, they say we are football fanatics!

Kendall

Tuscaloosa is definitely a college town; there are a lot of places to eat but not enough to do sometimes. The student government is pretty much Greek dominated but nothing is too harsh. It's absolutely beautiful in the spring and summer but it's also pretty humid and hot. The parking is pretty average and tuition and fees will make you pay a lot of money. Yet there are a lot of opportunities to get involved that the University pays for. Off campus housing is pricey and there are places to avoid.

The Greeks (and I mean the "white fraternities and sororities") all look and dress the same, but there are a few that surprise me. A lot of students know each other from high school and a lot of students are from Birmingham (every single person I've met and friended has been from Bham!). UA is mostly conservative but there are definite liberal voices on campus.

The bus system helps a lot! On campus living is ridiculous too.

Greeks have a presence but you can still have fun on and off campus without being part of the Greek system! Alcohol has a huge influence on the campus but you can still do lots of things without consuming it.

The classes at UA are pretty cool. I get a very diverse education. The Honors College has a lot of neat, interesting classes that aren't too hard. Some majors are very easy while others are impossible!

Partying is all over campus. Every night on every block! There's no other way to describe a weekend except for football and partying!

Greeks dominate the campus, drinking and smoking is the way of life

UA really is an awesome. I'm in my first semester here and I absolutely love it. The people here are so friendly and making new friends is not a problem. The only thing that I'd change would be adding more stop signs and traffic lights in the more dangerous areas around campus. There's places where I'm terrified to cross the street but do it anyway. School pride is everywhere. Also people are always hanging out on the Quad and it's simply awesome.

My proffessors are all basically good. I have one that I'm not so fond of, but they're basically awesome. You can go to any of them if you have questions and they're really good about helping you out.

That all they do is party but that's not all we do and we don't all party the same way.

If I could make a major change at UA, I would do the impossible and break up the greek system to be less elitist, less political, and more approachable. From an outsider's point of view, one would never know that Greeks make up about 28% of the student population here at UA, because they have the appearance and presence of being the majority, since they seem to dominate all leadership positions on campus. The greek system here at UA is segregated and corrupt. Independents on campus rightfully feel that they have little influence over what happens on campus because the Machine has dominated campus politics for so long, it seems that even showing up to vote is a wasted effort, hence the less than 20% voter turnout for campus elections. Granted the greek system is a great way to socialize, serve the community, and collaborate with groups of like-minded, smart men and women, but its manifestation on campus has been so pervasive and evolved so corruptly that it is more of a burden than a blessing at this point.

While located in the heart of the bible belt, my experiences at the University have seemed nothing but tolerant and welcoming of diverse viewpoints and lifestyles. I have never seen or heard of any incidents of sexual discrimination or religious discrimination, although the historical tendencies of the South have colored the experiences of minorities on campus. For example, the greek system remains segregated, and leadership positions are typically held by white students. In my experience, students tend to cluster according to majors and departments. I have also observed that the students of higher socio-economic status tend to cluster, while students left out of the elite group divide into groups among themselves, largely according to racial identity.

The greek system is notorious for its parties, and the greek system has a great deal of problems. We also depend heavily on athletics for publicity for the university as well as revenue. And, we really do have a big rivalry with Tennessee and Auburn.

The academic rigor at the University was incredibly disappointing. The amount of grade inflation that goes on within the classes, as well as the level of discussion that takes place has been below the hopes I had of intellectual stimulation upon arrival in 2005. My most difficult challenge was keeping up with the reading, even though I could usually get away with not reading for at least one of my classes. Within my major, Secondary Education - Social Studies, the history classes I took were the most rigorous courses I encountered during my time at the University. One class in particular stood out, and although I have recently been informed that Dr. Hagenloh is leaving UA to teach at Syracuse, I must say that his course was the most challenging, but I also learned the most from him. In that class, we were held accountable for each reading, and were required to participate in discussions both in online blogs and during class discussions. I would say overall that I was disappointed with the academics at UA, but professors tend to lower their expectations in correlation with the caliber of students they have in their classes.

I met my roommate/best friend in October 2005 at the Riverside Pool Party grand opening festivities. We met because she felt alone and unhappy and I felt alone and unhappy. We hated Alabama and wanted to leave. We both planned to transfer to other schools at the end of freshman year, and that time couldn't come soon enough. However, by the end of second semester of freshman year, we realized that we could both make it and have fun doing it. We are also good friends because we have similar lifestyles. We both value school and academics as our highest priority while here at the University, so we tend to stay in most weeknights and concentrate solely on academics. On the weekends, I like to go to sporting events and other University-sponsored events on campus. For the first two years here, I didn't have a car, so most of my activities were limited to on-campus activities.

We party all the time, we only care about athletics, particularly football, and our lives are spent plotting against Auburn University and the University of Tennessee

Christine

UA is a really big school. There are aver 25,000 students, so at first its pretty daunting, because you don't see all the same people all the time like in high school. Football and school spirit is important to a lot of the students on campus. People go crazy during the fall for the games and tailgaters permeate the city. Tuscaloosa is a pretty small town, but there are plenty of places to eat, grocery stores, and bars.

Although the campus is predominately white, I feel like UA's student body is diverse. There are lots of student organizations for different ethnic, religious (or lack there of), and political backgrounds. One particularly strong group is Spectrum, the GLBTQ group on campus. Some political groups include College Dems, UA Republicans, and an anti-war, anti-oppression group Students for a Democratic Society (the campus as a whole is relatively conservative and politically inactive). The kind of student that you would see most is the Greek stereotype: blond women with pony tails and a gym shorts/t-shirt combo or the "bro": fratty dudes with a visor and expensive shoes.

The stereotypes have a LOT of truth in them. During the fall, its pretty much impossible to escape football and it's fans. Most of the students are from the south, but there are also a significant amount of people from Texas, and even a bunch of international students from Japan, Korea, and the Middle East.

I've been really pleased with most of my classes at UA. They are definitely challenging. Many lower level classes like English composition, Chemistry, and Math are really big. Comparatively, honors classes are way smaller and more intimate feeling. I feel like the average UA student doesn't really study as much as they should. I'm always hearing about students buying stimulants like Adderall to cram before a test.

There is SO much to do on UA's campus for fun. There are all different kinds of musical (classical, jazz, electronic) performances at the Moody Music Hall. The English department sponsors poetry and book readings. The Ferguson Center shows popular movies every week. And besides football, there are basketball, women's and men's wheelchair basketball, tennis, crew, gymnasts, and other athletic games that are usually free for students. You can get involved with almost any kind of group on campus to meet people. There are political groups, environmental groups, and ethnic-background groups to be involved with. That's were I met all of my best friends.

UA's biggest stereotype is that it is a huge football school. The students are southern, mostly from Alabama who all love hunting and drinking Bud Lite.

Andy

Tons of school pride. Nothing inaccessable for anyone. Great social scene. Greek Life, if that's what you're in to. Amazing athletics Roll Tide!!!

Go to UA, it is a choice you won't regret. I didn't! :D

1) Not everyone has tons of money, but many do. 2) We have a very active social scene, whether it be at the bars, athletics or just our University Programs. So no, we don't party too much. 3) A very diverse group of students attend UA international and domestic and we have many cultural awarness groups and a niche for everyone. 4) We have Nick Saban and he will regain UA's place in national athletics soon. We do however LOVE the bear! 5) We have more USA Today All-Scholastic Honors than any other schools including Harvard. We have a very wide demographic of majors and amazing things coming from UA each day.

Challenging, but accessible

There is something for everyone! Including religious groups.

1) That we are all spoiled. 2) That we party too much. 3) That we are racist. 4) That we want Bear Bryant to be our coach and no one else will do. 5) That we are just a party school.

Brooke

UA is a fantastic place to go to school. Tuscaloosa has enough to meet any college student's needs, and Birmingham is only 45 minutes away for concerts, good shopping, and nice restaurants. The campus is gorgeous, and although the enrollment is bigger than some nearby towns, I have never felt overwhelmed or crowded on campus. No one can have enough school spirit during football season, and about half the student body can be seen wearing some type of school logo on a daily basis. The Administration is really making efforts to improve the University's reputation academically, as most people think of UA just in terms of football and partying. The Honors College has a minimum ACT score of 28 and makes up about 20% of the student body. Although the University is not normally thought of as an academic powerhouse, it definitely is. UA students regularly win numerous awards like the USA Today scholar award and Hollings Scholars.

There are so many students on campus that everyone can find a place. However, the majority of students are preppy and a little more conservative than most. Students can be seen wearing anything from a UA sweatshirt and sweatpants and a business suit to classes. Most UA students are middle to upper-middle class and come from suburbs or rural areas. There are a lot of nice cars on campus and namebrand clothing is very popular. The students are moderate-- which is more conservative than most college campuses. There are activist student organizations for both parties of political candidates, but most students are apathetic.

There are some people that would meet the "Bible thumper" stereotype but no more than you would find anywhere else. UA students do tend to be more conservative than the average college student, but they are by no means close-minded. There are also very active liberal student organizations on campus. Also, the school is only one-third Greek, so although Greeks are noticeable, they do not dominate the school (with the exception of the SGA). The University also has very strong academics, so although there is probably more partying here than the average school, in most cases, it is not excessive.

Most professors I've had have made some effort to know my name. They are particularly friendly in Honors classes and in the Spanish Department. The math department is largely foreign is leaves a lot to be desired. Honors Students study decent amount but probably less than at a lot of universities. It also depends on a person's major. Class participation really just depends on people. I've taken Honors classes with little to no participation, and non-Honors classes where everyone has something to say--- all in the same department. The University is so big that there's not really a need for students to be that competitive, those that are are kind of shunned. Everyone an find a place. Many students are pre-law or pre-med, so the departments those people would fall into are excellent. The business school is also very good. However, a lot of classes seem to be oriented more towards getting a job or preparing for other classes in the major than actually learning.

Greek life is extremely popular, although it's not necessary for having a social life. The honors dorms are apartment style and very anti-social. A lot of students are in long-term relationships and don't date much. Athletic events are extremely popular, but students go to most cultural events only if it is required for a class. People party a lot, but it really just depends on your major. There are improve theatre groups that perform on Saturdays and free movies in the Ferg. The Strip is also very popular for its bar scene.

Many people think UA students are close-minded Bible thumpers stuck in the 1960s. The University also has a reputation for being a party school dominated by Greek life.

Zach

The atmosphere on campus is great, I love it. The grounds are in impeccable shape year round. The buildings display architectural heritage and variety. UA is a college that had a city built around it, so it is its own entity. 150,000 population in Tuscaloosa county. The administration is pushing hard to make the University a top ten institution, and in effect are taking out the local bars and hangouts to decrease distractions. Now the students will have to drive a few miles if they want to go drink, which they will do. Yet another great plan from the administration. NOT! Parking is a hot topic as well. They pushed all of the student parking to the edge of campus, and there is now an ineffective bus system being used.

No, academics are a major part of the University.

We are thought of as a party school that is focused on football all of the time.

Sam

It was just right when I moved here. They're trying to make it to big. Oh, and university blvd needs to be repaived.

The University of Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.