Tuscaloosa, AL
The University of Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Alabama

Lucy

There is a unique atmosphere from the moment you step on campus. The university has been here since 1831, and you can tell. We have 25,000 students and will have 28,000 by 2010. People who are afraid of getting lost in the shuffle shouldn't be, though. You see the same people everyday, but the size also means that there is always someone new to meet. You can be anonymous if you like, but you can also retain your identity. The Ferguson Center is the place where a lot of students spend their time between classes, so you can always find someone you know there. But the know people you have to meet people, so it is always advisable to try out clubs that interest you so that you can find people who interest you. The University of Alabama is the perfect place to get the full college experience. We are proud of our southern heritage, but at the same time we are unlike any other place in Alabama because we are a center of learning, and thus a bit more liberal. Tuscaloosa is much the same but yet it is not entirely a college town. It could still exist without the university, though it is very connected to the university. The point is that once you leave the campus, you pretty much leave the college feel. Except during football season. If you absolutely abhor football, you might want to hide between the months of September and December on weekends when there are home games. That is because Tuscaloosa becomes overrun with tailgaters, and shouts of "roll tide" fill the air. School spirit goes into overdrive. But if you are not a born Alabama fan, at least give it a chance. You don't have to go crazy, but it is hard to resist joining in with the other 92,000 people singing the fight song when the team scores a touchdown. The biggest complaint on campus (at least the ones that show up all the time in the Crimson White, our newspaper) are the woes about transportation/parking. As with any university, UA has complaints about parking, but I can assure you we have more than our neighbors across the state. If you get to campus on time, you will not have a problem. Just make sure you park in your zone, and you will be fine. And for all that everyone complains about the Crimson Ride, our transit system, it will get you where you need to go if you plan your schedule accordingly. It is very nice on cold, hot, or rainy days. But if you are short on time, it might be a better idea to walk because sometimes the buses get into traffic or take breaks without any warning.

UA is by no means the most diverse campus, but it is a long ways from being homogenous as well. While the student population is predominately white and from a middle class background, there are people from all different backgrounds. As long as someone comes in willing to give the school a chance and take the time to look for friends, there is no reason to feel out of place here. While there are always people who are afraid of diversity, most people are accepting of others. One thing that surprises many people is our international student population. You can always walk by B.B. Comer and hear groups of students speaking Arabic and Japanese. There are people who proscribe to every political party with Democrats and Republicans split evenly and a rising group of Libertarians. Most people are pretty moderate, however, though everyone has an opinion. One thing to note is that UA students do not wear the stereotypical pyjamas to class. The only time I have seen someone in their pyjamas was during finals and if they overslept and ran to class. It is an unspoken rule that you should at least look like you didn't sleep in your clothes. That being said, t-shirts and blue jeans are fine most of the time, though there will be some classes that you will want to make a bit more of an effort for. It all depends on the class and your own personal style. Of course, you can always see certain trends. Polos are always a classic among guys, there are North Face bookbags and jackets everywhere, Costa del Mar sunglasses are very popular at the moment, as are Sperry boat shoes and Vera Bradley bags. But if this isn't your style, you won't be out of place. It is all about personal preference.

No. While many of us love Alabama football, you don't have to be a diehard fan. We do have a large, influential Greek community, you don't have to pledge to make wonderful friends. And we are definitely not all racists. Any claim we might have had to that title ended when George Wallace was unsuccessful with his stand at the schoolhouse door. UA is diverse enough to offer a niche and a sense of belonging for anyone who wants to come here. You just have to open your eyes and look around.

One thing a lot of people ask about is class size. Like most universities, UA does have some large classes. Personally my largest has been 160. But size is what you make it. Professors have office hours for a reason, and all of my professors have begged for students to come visit and ask questions. Most classes, especially when you get into your major, are no larger than 60 students with the majority being smaller. In the history department, most of my professors know my name, or at least know my face. You are not a nameless number here. You can always find people debating some issue or another on campus. We get free copies of USA Today, so most history classes at least sit around before class talking about the day's issues. People are very passionate about their beliefs here, and we are very diverse in those beliefs, so it can get interesting. An education at the University of Alabama is very competitive with the rest of the country. In fact, several of my professors are graduates of Ivy League schools and are very respected in their fields. If you are interested in history, you should take Dr. Lawrence Kohl's Civil War class. He is the ultimate storyteller, and while it is a tough class, it is well worth the effort. We have one of the top business schools in the nation and our law school is consistently ranked in the top forty. If a student leaves the university unprepared for life in the real world then it is their own fault because there are resources galore here to help you if you are willing to help yourself.

Greek life is big on campus, but that is not all that there is. Many people are involved in specialized groups, such as honoraries and service organizations. A very popular group is Yell Crew, which serves as a sort of pep squad for the football team. There is also Mark's Madness for basketball and Ten Troupe for gymnastics. Sports are a big part of campus life, and there are always intermurals going on with most dorms and a lot of clubs having teams. I am involved in Circle K International, which is the world's largest collegiate service organization, and we offer the unique opportunity to work alongside people who live in the Tuscaloosa community because we are part of the Kiwanis family. The thing to remember though is that there is always something to do regardless of your interests. Partying is mostly associated with Greek life and freshmen, so if you like it you can do it, but if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. Parties are for the most part held on weekends during football season and on Thursday nights. Due to the Thursday night trend, campus seems to really die down on away game and spring weekends. If you are looking for a party you can find one, and if not, there are other things to do. Living on campus offers a wide range of experiences depending on where you live. Tutwiler and Paty offer traditional single sex rooms with community baths where people leave their doors open and you get to know people on your floor. Riverside, Lakeside, and Ridgecrest on the other hand, are more apartment style with four same-sex people living in each unit though the floors are co-ed. You can go the whole year without ever meeting your next door neighbor, but at the same time that is preferred by some. If you want to meet people, you can take part in the floor or community activities planned by the RAs. The perks of Riverside, Lakeside, and Ridgecrest are that you get your own bedroom and only share a bathroom with one other person.

The biggest stereotype is that we are all football crazed, Greek racists.

Kati

I love attending Bama. My favorite thing would have to be the football games. Just seeing everyone in crimson and white and all the tailgaters on the quad gets you ready for the game. My major is Advertising with a minor in graphic design. Being in advertising, I'm in the college of communications and information sciences. It's nice that all the class for my major is in one building. The faculty and staff in the communication department are very nice and will do their best to answer your questions. There are only two things I complain about- parking and the transit system. Of course parking is a mess, there is not enough. The thing bad about the transit system (Crimson Ride) is that there are days that buses are a minute behind the other. This is frustrating to those waiting on it. I have found that walking is your best bit and it is actually faster to walk than riding the bus.

The student body here at Bama is very diversed. They are all types of people from all over the country and some from out of the country. But you will surprisingly find out there are tons of students from Texas and Georgia. Many student are politically aware and you will see students campaigning for presidential candidates and/or some protests. These are usually peaceful. There are demonstrations on campus. Right before spring break, two traveling ministers came talking about the wrongs people are making and how they need to change their ways. The things they say are not what the University thinks. They come and speak in the free speech zones. But besides that the student body is laid back. They are just students trying to earn an education. If you are wondering what they wear, they wear everything from jeans to shorts to dresses. Everyone is free to wear what they want.

Of course Bama has tons of students in the Greek system. You don't have to be in the Greek system. I'm not and I still have fun and make good grades. Not everyone drinks and parties all the time. I don't and all my friends are the same.

Academics are really good here at the Capstone. My favorite classes were my English 101 and Art History 253. I had a really great teacher. She made it fun to write all the papers. My least favorite classes would have to be History 101 and Psychology 101. These are big lecture classes with about 150 to 200 students. In all the classes that only had about 30 students, the teacher knew my name. Only in a few of my big lecture classes did the professors know my name. Don't be fooled there are some hard professors here at Bama, but they will help you when you ask them for help. Never be afraid to ask your professor questions. It is their job to make sure you understand and they want you to achieve. With all the different classes you will find out want you like to study and what type of major you can get with it. Never be afraid to change your major. At the beginning of my first semester, I was a Social Science Education major otherwise known as a history teacher. After my first history class I knew I wasn't going to enjoy learning all the history, but I did love writing papers that dealt with describing or telling about a certain subject. I change my major mid-way through my first semester. My major is advertising. I start my advertising classes next semester. I declared my graphic design minor right before spring break of my second semester. I am looking forward to the classes.

Getting involved on campus is easy. The most popular way is through fraternities and sororities. But there are hundreds of organizations to get involved in. Many churches have an student organization such as the Wesley Foundations made up those affiliated to the Methodist church. There are also organizations that deal with community service or being cheer sections for different sports. Besides football there are other events. There are gymnastics, basketball, plays, and other events around campus. The organizations help you meet new people. Even in some of the dorms you can leave your door open such as in Tutwiller, but in Riverside, Lakeside, and Ridgecrest the doors are too heavy to leave open. I meet my closest friends through a winter guard that is made up of Bama students, but the guard is not the University's. The guard is Amor Winter Guard. But I have also meet people through UnAshamed. UnAshamed is a non-dominational worship service.

All Greek students and preppy. They drink all the time and party everyday.

Caitlin

For me, UA is just simply awesome. If there were one thing I'd change, it would be the lack of scholarships for out-of-state students. Most people are surprised when I tell them that I go to UA, but once I start telling them what all UA has offered me and what all I do on campus, they realize that UA isn't just another large public state university. On campus, I spend most of my time either in my dorm room, the Ferguson Center, or Gorgas Library. The latter two both have access to food/coffee/drinks, good seating, computer access, and fewer distractions than the dorm. It's easier to get work done in both places. Tuscaloosa is possibly the greatest college town in the Southeast. I've been to most of them, and it is one of the most student-friendly towns I've come across. There are multiple restaurants, clubs (you have to be 19), shops, churches, etc. that students can go to when they want to venture off-campus. There is so much school pride here that even an out-of-state kid like myself (who had no UA affiliation before college) becomes a raving lunatic when football season rolls around. Students can literally walk up to a random person's tent on the quad, and they'll let you sit with them and watch the game. I met one of my best friends randomly at a home football game because we got so excited towards the end of the game that we were jumping up and down and hugging each other. Being a die-hard Crimson Tide fan is honestly one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had.

Most of the student interaction depends on the student, honestly. Most of the people I interact with are people who are in my same organizations and classes (Honors College). Yeah, I would say that different kinds of students interact. I am not involved in Greek life (at the moment), but I have multiple friends who are Greek. Also, I have met people from multiple socio-economic backgrounds. Most of us all hang out in the same groups. There is also a lot of political awareness on campus, which varies from left to right to center. I fall into the center category, and a lot of my friends do as well, but there are a few who fall to either side. As with the socio-economic backgrounds, most people with differing political views get along fine too.

Not at all. The Greek Life on campus does involve lots of weekend parties, but the people who want to make good grades and study both can and do succeed in the classroom as well. Also, there is no one particular way that a Bama greek looks. UA also has multiple ways to make the campus feel smaller for students, including the Honors College, Freshman Living-Learning Communities, and the Blount Undergraduate Initiative, to name a few. These programs allow students to really get to know their professors as well as fellow classmates. Typically, students who follow the same major track will have more than class with those same students.

All my professors know exactly who I am, and I'll often have discussions with them after class that have nothing to do with class. For example, I had a really long discussion with one of my French professors yesterday about the politics and crime rates of larger Southern cities. Honestly, I love all my classes, so I don't have a favorite really. The most unique class I've taken thus far is my French Literature class. We read the works, have multiple discussions that occasionally involve what we read, and then we write a long paper about something we've read/discussed. I am a French major and Biology minor following a Pre-Med track. It's a lot of science and language. However, the stark contrast in subject provides a good balance in my workload. UA's academic requirements are daunting, but easier to plan out than most people think. My education is ultimately focused on getting me to medical school, but I love what I'm learning along the way.

That people come here just to party and/or become Greek. Also, that Bama Greeks are all the same, don't have good GPA's, and don't try to study hard. Another is that people think that because UA is so large, people will get lost in the crowd and become just another number in a class.

I chose UA because of its size and close community. And for the most part, that's what I have gotten. The administrators and faculty are second to none. I know everyone in the Student Affairs department by name, and they are always willing to help a student. This campus seems really huge at first, but it becomes like a family the longer you are here. I would not trade my experience in Tuscaloosa for the world. It is a college town, but Birmingham is close if you want some big city culture.

UA's Student Body is diverse. I think most anybody would feel comfortable here. Student are from both in-state and out-of-state. Students of different types tend to cling together here. Politically, UA students tend to be more conservative, just like the state of Alabama.

We definitely like to party, but we are here to learn. In general, students gain valuable knowledge and training at the University of Alabama. The social networking here is unlike any that I have ever seen.

As far as academics, I really recommend getting involved in the honors program. I have had my most enjoyable classes in the Honors College, and the classes are small enough so all the professors know you by name. They also know that you are a student who cares, so they treat you with respect. Class participation is much more common in the Honors classes. I took one class called Witches and Bitches in Popular Culture, and I was completely enthralled the entire time.

There is so much to get involved in at UA. Being Greek helps, but it is not the most important move to make here at UA. We have an awesome theater department, and athletics are key. I met my closest friends through joining a sorority. The pledge classes are so big that there is a group for every individual withing the pledge class. People party quite a bit, but study when they need to study.

I don't really know if there is a stereotype. I guess maybe that we are all here to party.

Parker

No. While the state and University have historically repressed African Americans, and students do enjoy fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities, we are no less intelligent than students from any other state.

The University of Alabama may always have to contend with its past. Unfortunately, the state of Alabama, and the University itself, is infamous for Governor George Wallace's "Stand in the Schoolhouse Door". Students may be perceived as "backwards" or "redneck", and these perceptions lead to the stereotype that students at the Capstone are unintelligence or less capable than students at other Universities. Many people also consider UA to be a "party school" and a school that only cares about athletics, specifically football.

Morgan

UA as a whole is nice. It doesn't feel too big or too small. People are generally really nice. I spend almost all of my time on campus in the biology building. Tuscaloosa is definitely a college town (evident by the empty summers and lack or non-college activities). That's not always a con though. The university offers more than enough things to do (plays, sports, etc). UA's administration overall are really great. The biggest problem right now on campus is not having free prints in the computer lab. There is definitely a lot of school pride here.

I don't really think that anyone would feel out of place at UA. There's really something for everyone. Dress varies based on the individual. Some people wear t-shirts and jeans (like me) and others where dress clothes. UA has students from all over the country (and some from other countries) and from all walks of life. There really is a group for everyone here. Just be patient and find what makes you happy.

Be open minded about your major. As I am weeks away from graduating I look back and realize that I should have chosen a different major. Make educated decisions. Don't just pick something because it was fun in high school. Think about what you're going to do with your major and if you're good at that subject.

A lot of students here drink a lot but there are also a good number of students that do other things besides drinking and partying. There are still intellectuals at UA.

UA academics are amazing. I know all of my professors names (first and last and where many of them went to college, etc). My favorite class was actually not in my major. It was a women's studies class (WS 200). It really challenged me to think outside the box and look at things in with a different perspective. My least favorite class was organic chemistry (need I say more?). The amount of time I study depends on the class style and the subject (1-5 hours a week). Students are competitive but also collaborative. I took a freshwater interdisciplinary studies class my freshman year and really enjoyed it. It was a seminar class where we had speakers come in every week and talk about issues related to freshwater ecosystems. The speakers were from a very diverse background and gave a good picture about different reasons why some of the issues arose in the first place. It was definitely one of my most interesting classes. Class participation varies based on the topic being covered and the size of the class. I did undergraduate research so I spent a good amount of time outside of class with professors and graduate students. UA's requirements are just the minimum. Biology majors really need more upper level classes. UA's education isn't geared towards a job really.

Again a lot of what you do with activities and social events depends on your personality. There are a lot of groups, clubs, teams, etc to get involved with. Some students in dorms leave their doors opened. Athletic events (especially football and gymnastics) are very popular. Guest speakers (ALLELE series) are prevalent all over campus throughout the year talking about a wide range of topics. The theater department on campus is amazing. I've probably been to over 30 plays. I met a lot of my friends through classes and working in the lab. If I'm awake on Tuesday at 2am I'm unfortunately studying or doing a paper that I've been procrastinating about. Homecoming is a really big deal here every year. A-day is also huge. People party all the time. If you want to party you can probably find other people to party with. Frats/sororities are here but not obtrusive. I slept last weekend. Finals are coming up. On a Saturday night, you can go to a movie, go bowling, go to dinner, or do something on campus if you don't drink.

One stereotype is that all students at UA drink a lot.

Kathleen

Most people think I'm a huge Alabama football fan automatically. That's not true. Actually, I'm a huge Auburn fan. I spend most of my time on campus in the Business College: Alston, Bidgood, and Bruno. UA's admistration can be helpful if you find the right person. Sometimes they act like it's not their problem. The biggest controversty on campus is the "Machine" consisting of greek members who rig election. There is a lot of school pride because Alabama has a long tradition.

I'm not very involved in school activities. I have enough going on with class, studying, homework, trying to stay healthy, and whatever is left over I spend with my friends. Most people dress really casual to class. Not pajamas but shorts or jeans and tshirt. A student would feel out of place at UA if they were looking for a small school where everyone knows everyone and teachers notice when you are absent. All types of students interact with eachother. A lot of people come from big money, but you don't have to be rich to go to school here. Most UA students are from Alabama.

Don't be intimidated by the size or the reputation of Alabama. It's a great school and they really prepare their students for the real world.

Not true at all. I'm not greek and I've had an awesome time in college.

Your relationship with your professors will be what you make it. If you decide to go up and introduct yourself and see them outside of class you will have a close relationship. If not, then you won't. Class attendance isn't that big of a deal. Most people get by without it . I learn better if I go though. Class participation is kind of intimidating in large classes. Students study according to how bad they want a good grade. I think I've taken a lot of classes I didn't need. I wish the first two years weren't spent only doing core requirements. I wish there was more time devoted to your major classes.

Students don't leave their doors open for safety reasons. The athletic events are a BIG deal. The dating scene is different for everyone. I met my best friends in high school but have made more friends since I've been here. People party all the time. But you don't always have to go out. I went out a lot as a freshmen, a little less as a sophomore, and I only go out on the weekends and random wednesdays now that I'm a junior. You start to get more serious about school as you move on and classes get much harder. Greek life may be important to some people. But most people aren't that involved much past their sophomore year. Most people think they need it to meet people. But you can meet people anywhere. I'm usually either at my apartment, at the gym, or at the library. But since I work hard I party hard too.

Greek life is all there is. You won't have any fun if you don't join one.

I'll write a little on each of these things, because I have something to say on almost most of them. The best thing about UA is the different choices you have on campus, class wise. The biggest college on campus is that of the Arts and Sciences. But we also have one of the best nursing, business, and engineering schools. There is something for everyone here. When I first thought about coming to UA, I thought that it was going to be huge and that I was never going to learn my way around the campus or Tuscaloosa. Now, that I have been here for a year, it doesn't seem that big. It still is a large campus, and spread out, but once you learn where everything is, it doesn't seem that large. To me, UA is the perfect size campus, there is always somewhere to go. When I tell people that I go to UA, they are usually like, wow! I am from a small town, so they think Tuscaloosa is just the biggest thing around. But they think that it is a major accomplishment that I'm at a place like UA, and it is. Most of my time is spent on the Quad area with friends. In between classes, we all sit out there and talk, or play frisbee, which is our favorites. Any day of the week, you can see people listening or playing music, playing ultimate, or playing with their dogs. Tuscaloosa, is a college town for sure. Everywhere you look there are young people. It is so weird to walk into Publix and see an older couple with kids, our first thought is, why are they here? We say the same thing when we see little kids on campus. Sometimes we just forget that other people besides students live here also! However, there could be more activities for us students around here. UA's adminstration has a big job on their hands. There is a lot to take care of here, but they are doing a good job. The two biggest controversies at UA, would have to be the change of the discrimnation policy and the size of the next Freshman class. UA was one of few left that didn't include sexual orientation in the policy. The class sizes are getting larger and larger at UA, and the problem is that there is becoming less room for them to live here. It seems like the upperclassmen who live on campus are being pushed to move off campus, so the Freshmen can live on campus. New dorms are having to be built for the incoming classes. There is definitely a lot of school pride here. Come on any Saturday during Football Season, and you will see the pride! We say Roll Tide, at least once a day here at UA. One experience I will always remember will be the Homecoming Pep Rally and Bonfire. It is a lot of fun, but Alabama weather is so crazy that it was hot during the Bonfire, which is not that fun. But we still made fun. The biggest student complaint right now would be the parking tickets. There are only certain areas where you can park, and some areas we feel should be parking for everyone. For example, the Student Recreation Center should be parking for all, because we all pay to use that facility when we want to. If we want to go play tennis, we shouldn't get a parking ticket for leaving our car in the corner of the lot. We pay for that area, and should be able to park there.

To class, it just depends on who you are or what time of the day your class is, to determine what students will be wearing. But, any given day you will see people in shorts, t-shirts, jeans, and flip flops. There are also the people who like to dress up or look nice for class. And some people, have a major where they are required to look nice, for instance Business or Education majors. Nursing majors may have to wear scrubs if they are in school already and there are also the ROTC guys and girls who have their uniforms to wear. But at 8 o clock in the morning, you will most likely see people in their shorts or pajama pants and a t-shirt and hoodie. It is a very laid-back environment.

UA is a great place and I am glad I decided to come here. I have already met some of my best friends for life here. We have a lot of fun. This is a place where you can be who you want to be and still be yourself.

Like I said, there are some people who show you that they aren't right. It all depends on your viewpoint, and how you see others.

The size of the class and your own participation depend on whether your professor knows your name. My professor for Spanish and English both know my name, because they are smaller classes. However in my larger classes like Art History, Astronomy, and Math, the professor might know my face, but may not remember my name right off the bat. The education at UA is geared toward getting a job I think. Whatever department or major you have, your advisors work with you if you choose. There are also many internships for different majors and colleges. I think UA does a good job at trying to have a job lined up for you when you graduate.

The most popular organization on campus, I guess would have to be the fraternities and sororities. A lot of people are involved in them, but not everyone. Students will leave their doors open in the dorms. On my side of the hall, I know all the girls and they know me. Athletic events are the place to be! They are so much fun, whether it be gymnastics, baseball, basketball, or football. You will always have a lot of fun tat them. I met my closet friends through church and the BCM. Both of these do a lot of things at the beginning of the semester to help and make new students feel at home. During the week, me and some of my closet friends go out to eat and then later come back to my dorm and watch the O.C. Some of my guy friends do the same thing, except they watch LOST. On Saturday nights, my friends and I are all about finding something fun to do without drinking. We usually watch a movie, or go play Frisbee Golf on the Quad. We always find something fun to do. Off campus, you can go to the River and walk or run, go to the mall, or even go roller skating. One thing I wish we had here near UA is Putt Putt Golf, the old one closed down.

Everyone thinks that we hate Auburn with a passion. Yeh, we may have bit of competitiveness when it comes to football, but hey we are Alabama. So if you are an AU fan, here at Bama, we are not going to stone you. We will just try to convert you! But seriously, I didn't hear a lot about stereotypes at UA before I got here. You don't really notice it until you get here. I guess the biggest stereotypical thing on campus would have to be the people in soroities and fraternities. Yeh, they are pretty crazy at football games, but they aren't that bad on campus. I have friends in both soroities and frats, and there are a couple of people who show you that those stereotypes aren't always right.

Stephen

Not always. Of course, fraternities have higher numbers of people who drink and Greek life in general consists of many parties. I know plenty of people who don't drink and party and we have just as much or more fun than those who do.

There's always something going on.

Most people think that UA students are all drinkers and partiers.

Haley

Big Campus, small town feel.

Big Campus, small town feel.

If you get into the right programs, such as Blount or New College or Honors College then it is an Ivy Education at a Football School. Your education comes with finding the great professors on Campus.

Great Atmosphere. Predominently focused on drinking, but what college campus isnt?

there are Greeks and non- Greeks. and the way people behave, their social rank, etc are designated.

The University of Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.