Tuscaloosa, AL
The University of Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Alabama

Mary

I think ALabama is getting too large. Housing is becoming a problem along with parking. But I love ALabama. There is a lot of school pride especially during football season! The best thing I have done at Alabama is join a sorority. It doesn't matter if you join one or not, you will still meet new people, but I have made the best friends ever.

Most students wear casual clothes to class (jeans, t-shirts, shorts, casuals shirts). If you dress up you will be looked at funny. There are many different religious, racial, ect. groups at UA. I don't think anyone would feel left out if they came to UA. There are plenty of people to interact with and fit in with. There are polical groups, but I am not very active in that subject.

there IS always something to do but no, we do not go out every single night and we are not always drunk. We do go to class and keep up our grades. All my friends from Auburn and other schools who come to visit on the weekends always ask me how I go out like we do all the time. I'm not sure exactly what they mean but I guess it's because we like to have fun.

No, alot of the professors do not know my name unless it is a very small class. My favorite class is Art History. I would recommend taking it. You do have to study at Alabama...probably about 2-3 hours a week without a test and more when you have a test that week. I am in Public Relations and I think the communications department is great. They will set you up with internships and help you with any questions you have about your career and classes.

There are tons of things to do on campus. FATE is a popular club and alot of people join SGA. Athletic events are pretty popular ESP FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL. There are parties every night and Juniors and Seniors go to the bars on weekends and some weeknights. But people dont go out every night or sometimes at all. People go to movies and hang out at restuarants and get together to watch their favorite TV shows. There are also bible study groups and interesting speakers at the Ferg. I have never been to a play, but I hear the theater groups are very good. Off campus there are fun restaurants and shopping. People play disc golf and other sports with friends. There is plenty to do on campus.

Party school, go out every single night, always something to do, everyone is always drunk and partying

AL

Just the right size. I wouldn't change anything about it, except that the crime near campus seems to be going up. However, the administration and the school police department are working on this. It's a great college town and there is a lot of school pride, especially during football season.

Greek Life is big at UA, and I am a part of that. I don't think race matters as far as finding a group to fit in with and christianity is the predominant religion. Homosexuals may feel uncomfortable on such a conservative campus. Most students do not dress up much for class and tshirts are the common clothing to see students in during class. Most UA students are from the southeast, but there are also many from all over country. I think financial backgrounds differ greatly on campus. Students are pretty politically aware and active and predominantly to the right.

Yes, but not all students participate in it if they don't want to but there is always something to do if you want to.

Classes vary in size from only 10 up to about 200, so in the smaller classes of course the teachers know your name but generally not in the large classes. Students study most during the week Monday through Wednesday and a lot during exam week. The Honors College is great for those who want more of a chance to get to know their professors and others that are more competitive academically.

Greek life is huge. Football games are a must! and basketball games are somewhat popular as well. I met my closest friends through my sorority. If I am awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday...I may be studying if I have a test the next day or I am out at the bars on the strip if I do not have a busy academic week. People can be found partying almost any day of the week besides Sunday or Monday, but Thursday Fri. and Sat. are the biggest nights to go out. You can watch a movie on a Saturday if you do not want to drink or there are some clubs you can join that plan sober events.

Charlie

Best thing: ME!!!!! I'd change the amount of tuition; shit's too damn high! I think it's too big at times I get no specific reaction, most of the time, they're just happy I'm in college I spend most of my time either in Gorgas, the CTL, or my dorm Basically a college town..I mean, with 3 institutions, how can it not be n/a on the admin. Biggest controversy: that football player robbing the people 4 $26 It's a nice amount of school pride Nothing's really unusual to me about UA

I have no idea, for I know no Tri-Delts personally

At least one of my professors does know my name and he's my Math 112 teacher; which happens to be my favorite class--I study a hell of a lot--for the most part, yes it's common--I have PLENTY of intellectual convos, in and out of class--I'm competitive--my major is TCF--no not really, I talk to all of my teachers in class

Ummmmm.....I don't really know...I haven't heard any...oh, except the white sorority girls (particularly the Tri-Delts) happen to be whores

Cody

The absolute best thing about Alabama is Alabama football! The energy of the campus is phenomenal and being in the stadium with 96,000 other Crimson Tide fans is life changing! If I could change anything about the University I would do away with the Greek organizations. They provide a segregation between blacks and whites, upper class whites and lower class whites, as well as many in-state and out-of-state students. Many people join to meet new people which end up being the new people they spend the rest of their collegiate careers with. The Greek system is the beginning of the tensions that arise on campus. They receive special privileges. They are isolationists and if you can't beat them, most people just join them out of desperation. The school itself is tidy in size. By that I mean, you will know a lot of people just from commonalities, such as being at the Recreation Center at the same time, or being in the cafeteria around the same time, etc. So you will recognize faces and get an occasional hello. The interesting thing is wherever you go people always assume the University of Alabama is in Birmingham. Too often I have to clarify that the University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa, and is not UAB, or Alabama State. Others who are familiar with the school though, instantly strike up a conversation about football, which is good that you can relate in some aspect, but begin to wish that there was more to Alabama than football. I spend most of my time at the Rec which is the greatest way to meet and interact with people. Often times, you are competing against people so often you develop a respect for one another. Other times, people in there see how committed you are to your workout program and ask questions or help. I love being in the Rec sometimes just to people watch. Or in my case girl watch. Tuscaloosa is the definition of a college town. There are two malls that are both one story and a Wal Mart. Other than that, you may have to travel to Northport which is two minutes away, or to Birmingham, a more healthy commute of about 45 minutes. The University of Alabama's administration is absolutely useless! Often times, I have sought an answer to a problem and have been sent to three different people only to be told to call back tomorrow. It is so frustrading dealing with people in the offices here, and it seems at times that some of the administrators simply don't want to help you, are distracted by something more important, or just don't care about your problem. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the idea of "a machine", a political regime organized by the Greek system to hold power in the Student Government Association. It is only a theory. The actual existence of this Machine has not been confirmed but there are conspiracy theories that the reason the past 50 or so SGA presidents have been members of predominately white Greek letter fraternities is mindboggling. This is backed by shady polling activities, intimidation methods of minority candidates, and unusual backing out of other candidates that may have a viable chance of winning to allow a lesser qualified candidate to take the position. There are a lot of questions surrounding whether "A Machine" exists to keep the power in place but nothing has solidified. UA is bountiful with school pride. Hate does not even describe what is felt about that other school in Alabama often referred to as the Cow College. UA used to have a real prevalent squirrel army in the summer and fall semesters, but they have declined in recent history. One experience I'll always remember is the day Coach Saban was announced as the new head coach at the basketball game. The place erupted so much so that they had to delay the game from all the people who stormed the court. The most frequent complaints at the school are the lack of parking and the even greater parking fines, the school store charging horrendous prices for books and giving nearly nothing back in return for them, and lighting in some places of the university.

I am involved with a racial organization called Sustained Dialogue but there are other organizations on campus tailored to religious, LGBT, and socio-economic groups as well. The University holds a Get on Board Day so that you can sign up for anything you're interested in. The minority student that is not a people person would feel out of place. I was that minority student and still find myself uncomfortable at times. I came here knowing no one, and that was hard to deal at first. But with time you grow to meet new people thru these organizations.Students are pretty liberal with what they wear to class. A common outfit would consist of jeans and a tshirt. Unfortunately rarely do students from different backgrounds interact. That is what Sustained Dialogue works with. At Sustained Dialogue we try to bridge the gap between people that wouldn't normally interact through conversations every week. If there are four tables in the cafeteria, one would be the black Greek table, where you would see Delta Sigma Theta sorors, Alpha Phi Alpa fraternity members and possibly others having a good time. These students for the most part would be all black. The next table would consist of the foreign exchange students most likely speaking a language no one in the cafeteria could understand. Your third table would likely be the Mallet Assembly kids which would resemble your nerds in high school. They embrace the fact that they are different and do not try to conform to what is regularly accepted at the university. Yes they are the butt of a lot of jokes around campus but they do their own thing rather than try to fit in. The fourth table would probably be UA Athletics. There go your track athletes and football players- maybe a basketball player in the mix. But for the most part that's the UA cafeteria in a gist. The majority of the students that attend the University of Alabama are from the state of Alabama. Most of the majority is from Birmingham in one way or another. The other from Huntsville, and the smaller portion of that majority from "the Gump" or Montgomery. University of Alabama is a school that boasts having a very strong alumni base, so the students are normally well off. Students are for the most part politically apathetic because Student Government does no real noticeable changes on campus. As far as the Presidential debate is concerned, there are a lot of students with invested interest in getting involved with campaigns and there is a pipeline that establishes connections in DC for political science and history majors. Alabama for the most part is conservative making it a right-winged state and that reflects onto the University of Alabama campus. Suprisingly enough, many students you encounter are not at college for the money, but to do some good in the world. And that is refreshing.

To some extent these accusations are true. A lot of people you meet from the state of Alabama are great people, but there are a large number that only associate with people alike themselves. This is true wherever you go, not just in the state of Alabama. People have conservative ideals and are resilient to change and liberal views. The University of Alabama prides itself on pride and tradition so the students play into it as well. Being an out of state student myself it has been very hard to meet people due to these conservative ideals.

The professors at the University of Alabama are good across the board. I have had maybe two teachers that I would say were not up to par during my tenure at the University. They work with the students to make them successful. My favorite class this semester is Intro to Political Science. Probably the least favorite would be Math 100. Students study fairly often. It is not neccessary for a majority of the courses, but a lot of students are committed to academic success.Class participation varies on the subject matter and the teacher also. The Journalism department is great. They have a listserve that feeds you openings of internships and job opportunities. Experience is highly accessible. You can do anything from tv to radio with just an application. The education at UA is geared at preparing you to be a viable candidate for a position in the workforce.

Unfortunately Greek organizations are the most important organizations on the football team. They host a lot of the parties on the campus and are promoted by the university. Students in dorms do leave their dorms open. You will meet a lot of people in Burke West. That was the best experience of my life, because I met so many cool people thru living there. We developed a cool brotherhood because most of us were freshman at the time. Athletic events are the greatest. Due to the large number of sponsors and contributions, people are always giving away free stuff and the University of Alabama is normally competitive in just about every sport. If you're awake at 2a, you're studying. Alabama is full of tradition such as the Homecoming bonfire, and the A-Day Game, where the football team scrimmages. The Iron Bowl is a great rivalry and another tradition you pray to be a part of. Partying at the University of Alabama begins on Wednesday. Enough said. Off campus is the bar scene.

Some of the stereotypes I perceive about UA students are that the majority of the students are from smalltown, racist Alabama towns and aren't as cultured. Other stereotypes paint Alabama students as beacons of southern hospitality, but conservative and resilient to change.

Andrea

UA is a great college. Tuscaloosa is definately a college town. The whole city revolves around the college. Everyone that goes to UA and everyone that has graduated take a lot of pride in their school. The quad is a nice play to go on campus. People go there to play football, walk, jog, or study. One of the most frequent complaints is parking, but this year, UA got a trolley system. I'm not sure how that is working out, though, because I graduated in May.

Most students do not dress up to go to class, especially if it is at 8 am because most people just roll out of bed and head to class. Most people were T-shirts and jeans to class, but some people dress up. I would say that a majority of students are from Alabama, but there are still tons of people that are from other states and even out of the country. There are several international students at UA. There are politically active students at UA, but it really depends on whether or not you want to be politically active or not.

Some of the stereotypes are true. Alabama really enjoys its football, but so do all the other SEC teams. Going to an Alabama football game is always exciting. The energy and excitement of the student section is AMAZING!!! About the Greek system, I would say that a lot of people are in the Greek system, but I would say that the majority of people are not. Whether you are in the Greek system or not, you will still have a wonderful college experience. Do whatever you want to do. If you want to be in the Greek system, then go for it, but if that isn't your thing, then you don't have to be.

It depends on the class size as to whether or not the professor knows your name, and whether or not you ever talk to the professor outside of class. If the class is small (below 30 or so), then the professors usually know your names. If the class is large (above 100), then it is kind of hard to know all the students unless you make an effort to get to know the professor. One of my favorite classes that I took at UA was Personal Finance through the Honors Department. The teacher was great, and the information was really pertinent to my life. I would say that you get out of the classes what you want to get out of them. If you want to learn a lot, then you definately can, but if you don't really care if you learn anything, then you probably won't learn much. You're are in college, so you should be responsible. Therefore, it is your decision to see how much you get out of the classes.

Sporting events are definately important events at UA, especially football. Fraternities and sororities have their place on campus, but if you don't want to be in one, you don't have to be. There are still plenty of other opportunties to get involved on campus. Lots of students go to bars on the weekend, but if the party scene is not your thing, then you can still meet people. There are several churches in Tuscaloosa that have college ministries and offer opportunities to hang out without drinking. There are several religious organizations on campus like the Baptist Campus Ministry, Wesley Foundation, FCA, and others. As a freshman, I got involved in a Freshmen Bible Study through Calvary Baptist Church and met lots of people. I also lived in the dorms and met people that way. If you want to meet people, just get involved in something.

Alabama is a big football school. If you aren't a member of the Greek system, then you won't have any fun at Alabama because the Greek system rules everything at Alabama.

Dwight

What's the best thing about UA? The campus layout Name one thing you'd change. Add a year 'round 24 hour library (or make the main library 24 hours year 'round) Is your school too large, too small, or just right? Just Right. Not as large as Ohio State or Michigan, but big enough to maintain diversity. How do people react when you tell them you go to UA? They ask about the football team Where do you spend most of your time on campus? At the CTL (Center for Teaching and Learning) College town, or "what college town?" College town. What's your opinion of UA's administration? Like President Witt, but question the efficient handling of funds (on a minor level). What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Coach Saban getting 4 million a year, but since the football team is such an important marketing tool (e.g. UA commercials played across the nation on network TV when the team is good enough to warrant CBS, ESPN, etc. to show our games) for the university, it's really important that we have a team that plays on a high level. How else are we going to catch the attention of prospective students from California, Washington, Montana, Hawaii, etc.? Is there a lot of school pride? Yes Is there anything unusual about UA? Though the South is know as a fairly conservative (political wise), the UA is amazingly liberal among students and staff. What's one experience you'll always remember? Running through the halls screaming "roll tide" in a make-shift superman outfit (and yes I wore tidy whities outside my tights) my Freshman year in Paty Hall. What are the most frequent student complaints? Limited parking

Not at all. The University is increasingly excelling in academics (e.g. USA Academic All-Americans). Though the population of th UA is majority Caucasian, it is still very diverse. Though there isn't a whole lot to do in Tuscaloosa there is enough. Plus, for me it would be too distracting to my studies if there was too much to do. Anyhow, Birmingham is only 40-50 minutes away.

The university is only about sports (football). Also, since the UA is associated with the "bad side" of the civil rights movement (during the '50s and '60s) that we're still "backwards" and country. Finally, there is a stereotype that there isn't much to do in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Bobby

For me, the best thing about UA is that I have met so many people from a lot of different places. I have definitely learned to appreciate the fact that I am getting a chance to see what type of people I may be working with on a daily bases. If you don't like to be surrounded by a lot of people all the time then UA is not the place for you. The enrollment is increasing every year and I don't think it is slowing down anytime soon. But the very good thing about the school is that the buildings are not that far apart from each other. Your freshmen year you may find yourself trucking from Ten Hoor to Shelby Hall in ten minutes, BAD IDEA, but for the most part once you get in your major you really won't have that big of a problem. For me this was a big deal, because where I am from most people don't attend big universities like UA. So for me it has always been a positive response. At work, lol, I work on campus. But a lot of people chill on the quad or at the Ferguson Center where the food court is. But it really depends on the person. Tuscaloosa is definitely a college town. If you come here during the summer, there is nobody here and you are always bored because fun events are centered around it. Depends on what you are talking about. In my opinion, UA have made some dumb decisions about how they have spent their money in the past year, but they have made some good ones also. Particular the Crimson Ride, transit system, has made it a lot easier for students to study late and night and have rides back to their dorms and feel safe. Gay rights. In the fall there was a lot of talk about whether or not gay rights should be added to our constitution since we were one of the only schools in the Southeast not to have it. The administration added them at the end of Fall '07 or the beginning of Spring '08. YESSSSSS...I don't know of too many places that top UA pride. It is amazing "Roll Tide" is used in place of "Hello" sometimes. Unusual, I don't know. This is the only school I know so I really can't answer that question. It would have to be my first UA football game my freshman year marching in the band. The crowd noise as I was marching in the band is the best feeling in the world as they await to hear "Yea, Alabama" for the first time in Bryany-Denny each season. It was amazing. Most complaints are about money. UA have taken a lot of "give ins" away the past couple of years but those complaints only come from upperclassmen since they are the only ones to have them.

There is definitely a cliques at UA. Everyone has their own group of friends. Racially, I have not really had a big problem with it since I have been here but I do know people who have. Religiously there are a lot of opportunities to practice your belief if you choose to. I don't know a lot of LGBT's personally but I know they are here, but I don't have a problem with them as long as they don't approach me. You can tell who the "rich" kids are so to speak but is not to the point where I feel inferior in their presence. I don't know of any student that would feel out of place except for someone extremely Gothic. There is not too much of that here on campus. T-shirt, jeans, pajamas, or dressed-up. It is not a "certain" way you have to dress to class, but some upper level classes require business attire. In my experience yes, but that is just because I have a lot of friends. Greek table-the black greeks who have stood their ground and stare at everyone as they enter the dining hall. Exchange Student-mostly Asians are Japanese they cling to each other but they are cool people Single Table-one person who sits by themselves because they don' t have friends or their friends are in class Everybody table-just a mixture of just about anything Most students are from Alabama of course but was have a lot of out of state kids on scholarship or their parents are alums here. There is a lot of different financial backgrounds at UA. You don't have to be rich to come to UA. Just have financial aid. UA politics is definitely a very interesting subject. You have a lot of students who are deep in to politics and others who really don't care. Earnings is definitely a subject that crosses a lot of peoples mind's, but it is ultimately about you being happy.

The first thing that anyone thinks about when someone says the University of Alabama is football. Now I must admit, it is definitely hard to find a good parking space on campus on gameday but football is not the only thing this school represents. Alabama has a rich tradition in academics. Our business is always ranked among the best and our other departments are pretty good as well. Who doesn't party in college? UA is no different from any other school. But as a student here there is one thing I have noticed. During test time, it is hard to find a good party to go to, so we do have serious students. UA has a very diverse community and I think as years continue it will deepen, but to me there still seems to be some racial tension on campus. But not as bad as everyone thinks it is. Personally, I have never had a racial event happen during my time here at the capstone and that is true in most cases.

Not all my professors know my name. That is more of my choice, but a lot of classes are small so if the professor doesn't know your name, he/she knows your face. My least favorite class had to be any literature related course. I HATE literature. Professors asking you to analyze writers who have been dead for centuries, but you do it because you have to. It is a requirement so there is not too much complaining. I hate to say it but that depends on your major. Science and math based majors are usually the students you see at the library until it closes at 2AM. But in general, most people don't study towards the beginning of the semester but as the semester progresses that changes dramatically. A lot of professors, use class participation as a part of the grade so you have to participate. But I would definitely recommend it, this sometimes will affect if you get a B or C in the class. Intellectual conversations happen more than you think, but lack at the beginning of your academic career. As you get more knowledgeable about current events and your own personal beliefs, they increase. In my experience, students are competitive based off of their friends. Most unique class would have to be tennis. UA has a lot of "leisure" classes students can take so you can get exercised in to your classes and get a grade for it. It doesn't weigh that much on your grade but it might help on a rainy day. The accounting department has been awesome, they have been very helpful with helping me succeed and meeting the right people. We have internship opportunities and top accounting firms in America look very hard at our program to pull for people as their next employees. I meet with my professors outside of class about 7 times a semester, but that depends on the class and difficulty. UA's academic requirements are increasing as you read this. It is good for our school because they want their graduates to be the cream of the crop. Education at UA is definitely geared towards getting a job. There is always talk about interning, cooping, career fairs that are always going on at our campus.

Most popular would have to be the Greeks and sports. Million Dollar Band: I'm in the marching band. We travel with the football time throughout the season and the bowl game. It has a lot of perks. You get to go to a lot of the games so that is always cool. But we do some community service to, like play at Capstone Village, a retirement home, and the RISE Center which is a center for mental and physically challenged youth. No everyone generally lock their door when they go to bed. Athletic events are extremely popular everyone should attend at least one football and gymnastics meet. Guest speakers are sometimes big, but it depends on who it is. But our theater program is pretty good and most of the events are sold out. I hear the dating scene is good. I am not the best example for that. No closest friends here. If I am awake on a Tuesday at 2am, I'm either on FACEBOOK or playing cards. The homecoming concert is a pretty big deal. Actually Homecoming events in generally are a pretty big deal. There is usually one party going on weekly. Very important to the people who are in it and the people who want to be in it. They have a really big political voice on campus. Coached my kindergarten team and chilled with friends.

Everything is centered around football and we drink and party all the time. UA is always going to be stuck in the "60s" and racist.

The University of Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.