Tuscaloosa, AL
The University of Alabama

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Alabama

If I could make a major change at UA, I would do the impossible and break up the greek system to be less elitist, less political, and more approachable. From an outsider's point of view, one would never know that Greeks make up about 28% of the student population here at UA, because they have the appearance and presence of being the majority, since they seem to dominate all leadership positions on campus. The greek system here at UA is segregated and corrupt. Independents on campus rightfully feel that they have little influence over what happens on campus because the Machine has dominated campus politics for so long, it seems that even showing up to vote is a wasted effort, hence the less than 20% voter turnout for campus elections. Granted the greek system is a great way to socialize, serve the community, and collaborate with groups of like-minded, smart men and women, but its manifestation on campus has been so pervasive and evolved so corruptly that it is more of a burden than a blessing at this point.

While located in the heart of the bible belt, my experiences at the University have seemed nothing but tolerant and welcoming of diverse viewpoints and lifestyles. I have never seen or heard of any incidents of sexual discrimination or religious discrimination, although the historical tendencies of the South have colored the experiences of minorities on campus. For example, the greek system remains segregated, and leadership positions are typically held by white students. In my experience, students tend to cluster according to majors and departments. I have also observed that the students of higher socio-economic status tend to cluster, while students left out of the elite group divide into groups among themselves, largely according to racial identity.

The greek system is notorious for its parties, and the greek system has a great deal of problems. We also depend heavily on athletics for publicity for the university as well as revenue. And, we really do have a big rivalry with Tennessee and Auburn.

The academic rigor at the University was incredibly disappointing. The amount of grade inflation that goes on within the classes, as well as the level of discussion that takes place has been below the hopes I had of intellectual stimulation upon arrival in 2005. My most difficult challenge was keeping up with the reading, even though I could usually get away with not reading for at least one of my classes. Within my major, Secondary Education - Social Studies, the history classes I took were the most rigorous courses I encountered during my time at the University. One class in particular stood out, and although I have recently been informed that Dr. Hagenloh is leaving UA to teach at Syracuse, I must say that his course was the most challenging, but I also learned the most from him. In that class, we were held accountable for each reading, and were required to participate in discussions both in online blogs and during class discussions. I would say overall that I was disappointed with the academics at UA, but professors tend to lower their expectations in correlation with the caliber of students they have in their classes.

I met my roommate/best friend in October 2005 at the Riverside Pool Party grand opening festivities. We met because she felt alone and unhappy and I felt alone and unhappy. We hated Alabama and wanted to leave. We both planned to transfer to other schools at the end of freshman year, and that time couldn't come soon enough. However, by the end of second semester of freshman year, we realized that we could both make it and have fun doing it. We are also good friends because we have similar lifestyles. We both value school and academics as our highest priority while here at the University, so we tend to stay in most weeknights and concentrate solely on academics. On the weekends, I like to go to sporting events and other University-sponsored events on campus. For the first two years here, I didn't have a car, so most of my activities were limited to on-campus activities.

We party all the time, we only care about athletics, particularly football, and our lives are spent plotting against Auburn University and the University of Tennessee

Christine

UA is a really big school. There are aver 25,000 students, so at first its pretty daunting, because you don't see all the same people all the time like in high school. Football and school spirit is important to a lot of the students on campus. People go crazy during the fall for the games and tailgaters permeate the city. Tuscaloosa is a pretty small town, but there are plenty of places to eat, grocery stores, and bars.

Although the campus is predominately white, I feel like UA's student body is diverse. There are lots of student organizations for different ethnic, religious (or lack there of), and political backgrounds. One particularly strong group is Spectrum, the GLBTQ group on campus. Some political groups include College Dems, UA Republicans, and an anti-war, anti-oppression group Students for a Democratic Society (the campus as a whole is relatively conservative and politically inactive). The kind of student that you would see most is the Greek stereotype: blond women with pony tails and a gym shorts/t-shirt combo or the "bro": fratty dudes with a visor and expensive shoes.

The stereotypes have a LOT of truth in them. During the fall, its pretty much impossible to escape football and it's fans. Most of the students are from the south, but there are also a significant amount of people from Texas, and even a bunch of international students from Japan, Korea, and the Middle East.

I've been really pleased with most of my classes at UA. They are definitely challenging. Many lower level classes like English composition, Chemistry, and Math are really big. Comparatively, honors classes are way smaller and more intimate feeling. I feel like the average UA student doesn't really study as much as they should. I'm always hearing about students buying stimulants like Adderall to cram before a test.

There is SO much to do on UA's campus for fun. There are all different kinds of musical (classical, jazz, electronic) performances at the Moody Music Hall. The English department sponsors poetry and book readings. The Ferguson Center shows popular movies every week. And besides football, there are basketball, women's and men's wheelchair basketball, tennis, crew, gymnasts, and other athletic games that are usually free for students. You can get involved with almost any kind of group on campus to meet people. There are political groups, environmental groups, and ethnic-background groups to be involved with. That's were I met all of my best friends.

UA's biggest stereotype is that it is a huge football school. The students are southern, mostly from Alabama who all love hunting and drinking Bud Lite.

Andy

Tons of school pride. Nothing inaccessable for anyone. Great social scene. Greek Life, if that's what you're in to. Amazing athletics Roll Tide!!!

Go to UA, it is a choice you won't regret. I didn't! :D

1) Not everyone has tons of money, but many do. 2) We have a very active social scene, whether it be at the bars, athletics or just our University Programs. So no, we don't party too much. 3) A very diverse group of students attend UA international and domestic and we have many cultural awarness groups and a niche for everyone. 4) We have Nick Saban and he will regain UA's place in national athletics soon. We do however LOVE the bear! 5) We have more USA Today All-Scholastic Honors than any other schools including Harvard. We have a very wide demographic of majors and amazing things coming from UA each day.

Challenging, but accessible

There is something for everyone! Including religious groups.

1) That we are all spoiled. 2) That we party too much. 3) That we are racist. 4) That we want Bear Bryant to be our coach and no one else will do. 5) That we are just a party school.

Brooke

UA is a fantastic place to go to school. Tuscaloosa has enough to meet any college student's needs, and Birmingham is only 45 minutes away for concerts, good shopping, and nice restaurants. The campus is gorgeous, and although the enrollment is bigger than some nearby towns, I have never felt overwhelmed or crowded on campus. No one can have enough school spirit during football season, and about half the student body can be seen wearing some type of school logo on a daily basis. The Administration is really making efforts to improve the University's reputation academically, as most people think of UA just in terms of football and partying. The Honors College has a minimum ACT score of 28 and makes up about 20% of the student body. Although the University is not normally thought of as an academic powerhouse, it definitely is. UA students regularly win numerous awards like the USA Today scholar award and Hollings Scholars.

There are so many students on campus that everyone can find a place. However, the majority of students are preppy and a little more conservative than most. Students can be seen wearing anything from a UA sweatshirt and sweatpants and a business suit to classes. Most UA students are middle to upper-middle class and come from suburbs or rural areas. There are a lot of nice cars on campus and namebrand clothing is very popular. The students are moderate-- which is more conservative than most college campuses. There are activist student organizations for both parties of political candidates, but most students are apathetic.

There are some people that would meet the "Bible thumper" stereotype but no more than you would find anywhere else. UA students do tend to be more conservative than the average college student, but they are by no means close-minded. There are also very active liberal student organizations on campus. Also, the school is only one-third Greek, so although Greeks are noticeable, they do not dominate the school (with the exception of the SGA). The University also has very strong academics, so although there is probably more partying here than the average school, in most cases, it is not excessive.

Most professors I've had have made some effort to know my name. They are particularly friendly in Honors classes and in the Spanish Department. The math department is largely foreign is leaves a lot to be desired. Honors Students study decent amount but probably less than at a lot of universities. It also depends on a person's major. Class participation really just depends on people. I've taken Honors classes with little to no participation, and non-Honors classes where everyone has something to say--- all in the same department. The University is so big that there's not really a need for students to be that competitive, those that are are kind of shunned. Everyone an find a place. Many students are pre-law or pre-med, so the departments those people would fall into are excellent. The business school is also very good. However, a lot of classes seem to be oriented more towards getting a job or preparing for other classes in the major than actually learning.

Greek life is extremely popular, although it's not necessary for having a social life. The honors dorms are apartment style and very anti-social. A lot of students are in long-term relationships and don't date much. Athletic events are extremely popular, but students go to most cultural events only if it is required for a class. People party a lot, but it really just depends on your major. There are improve theatre groups that perform on Saturdays and free movies in the Ferg. The Strip is also very popular for its bar scene.

Many people think UA students are close-minded Bible thumpers stuck in the 1960s. The University also has a reputation for being a party school dominated by Greek life.

Zach

The atmosphere on campus is great, I love it. The grounds are in impeccable shape year round. The buildings display architectural heritage and variety. UA is a college that had a city built around it, so it is its own entity. 150,000 population in Tuscaloosa county. The administration is pushing hard to make the University a top ten institution, and in effect are taking out the local bars and hangouts to decrease distractions. Now the students will have to drive a few miles if they want to go drink, which they will do. Yet another great plan from the administration. NOT! Parking is a hot topic as well. They pushed all of the student parking to the edge of campus, and there is now an ineffective bus system being used.

No, academics are a major part of the University.

We are thought of as a party school that is focused on football all of the time.

Sam

It was just right when I moved here. They're trying to make it to big. Oh, and university blvd needs to be repaived.

Mary

I think ALabama is getting too large. Housing is becoming a problem along with parking. But I love ALabama. There is a lot of school pride especially during football season! The best thing I have done at Alabama is join a sorority. It doesn't matter if you join one or not, you will still meet new people, but I have made the best friends ever.

Most students wear casual clothes to class (jeans, t-shirts, shorts, casuals shirts). If you dress up you will be looked at funny. There are many different religious, racial, ect. groups at UA. I don't think anyone would feel left out if they came to UA. There are plenty of people to interact with and fit in with. There are polical groups, but I am not very active in that subject.

there IS always something to do but no, we do not go out every single night and we are not always drunk. We do go to class and keep up our grades. All my friends from Auburn and other schools who come to visit on the weekends always ask me how I go out like we do all the time. I'm not sure exactly what they mean but I guess it's because we like to have fun.

No, alot of the professors do not know my name unless it is a very small class. My favorite class is Art History. I would recommend taking it. You do have to study at Alabama...probably about 2-3 hours a week without a test and more when you have a test that week. I am in Public Relations and I think the communications department is great. They will set you up with internships and help you with any questions you have about your career and classes.

There are tons of things to do on campus. FATE is a popular club and alot of people join SGA. Athletic events are pretty popular ESP FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL. There are parties every night and Juniors and Seniors go to the bars on weekends and some weeknights. But people dont go out every night or sometimes at all. People go to movies and hang out at restuarants and get together to watch their favorite TV shows. There are also bible study groups and interesting speakers at the Ferg. I have never been to a play, but I hear the theater groups are very good. Off campus there are fun restaurants and shopping. People play disc golf and other sports with friends. There is plenty to do on campus.

Party school, go out every single night, always something to do, everyone is always drunk and partying

AL

Just the right size. I wouldn't change anything about it, except that the crime near campus seems to be going up. However, the administration and the school police department are working on this. It's a great college town and there is a lot of school pride, especially during football season.

Greek Life is big at UA, and I am a part of that. I don't think race matters as far as finding a group to fit in with and christianity is the predominant religion. Homosexuals may feel uncomfortable on such a conservative campus. Most students do not dress up much for class and tshirts are the common clothing to see students in during class. Most UA students are from the southeast, but there are also many from all over country. I think financial backgrounds differ greatly on campus. Students are pretty politically aware and active and predominantly to the right.

Yes, but not all students participate in it if they don't want to but there is always something to do if you want to.

Classes vary in size from only 10 up to about 200, so in the smaller classes of course the teachers know your name but generally not in the large classes. Students study most during the week Monday through Wednesday and a lot during exam week. The Honors College is great for those who want more of a chance to get to know their professors and others that are more competitive academically.

Greek life is huge. Football games are a must! and basketball games are somewhat popular as well. I met my closest friends through my sorority. If I am awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday...I may be studying if I have a test the next day or I am out at the bars on the strip if I do not have a busy academic week. People can be found partying almost any day of the week besides Sunday or Monday, but Thursday Fri. and Sat. are the biggest nights to go out. You can watch a movie on a Saturday if you do not want to drink or there are some clubs you can join that plan sober events.

Charlie

Best thing: ME!!!!! I'd change the amount of tuition; shit's too damn high! I think it's too big at times I get no specific reaction, most of the time, they're just happy I'm in college I spend most of my time either in Gorgas, the CTL, or my dorm Basically a college town..I mean, with 3 institutions, how can it not be n/a on the admin. Biggest controversy: that football player robbing the people 4 $26 It's a nice amount of school pride Nothing's really unusual to me about UA

I have no idea, for I know no Tri-Delts personally

At least one of my professors does know my name and he's my Math 112 teacher; which happens to be my favorite class--I study a hell of a lot--for the most part, yes it's common--I have PLENTY of intellectual convos, in and out of class--I'm competitive--my major is TCF--no not really, I talk to all of my teachers in class

Ummmmm.....I don't really know...I haven't heard any...oh, except the white sorority girls (particularly the Tri-Delts) happen to be whores

Cody

The absolute best thing about Alabama is Alabama football! The energy of the campus is phenomenal and being in the stadium with 96,000 other Crimson Tide fans is life changing! If I could change anything about the University I would do away with the Greek organizations. They provide a segregation between blacks and whites, upper class whites and lower class whites, as well as many in-state and out-of-state students. Many people join to meet new people which end up being the new people they spend the rest of their collegiate careers with. The Greek system is the beginning of the tensions that arise on campus. They receive special privileges. They are isolationists and if you can't beat them, most people just join them out of desperation. The school itself is tidy in size. By that I mean, you will know a lot of people just from commonalities, such as being at the Recreation Center at the same time, or being in the cafeteria around the same time, etc. So you will recognize faces and get an occasional hello. The interesting thing is wherever you go people always assume the University of Alabama is in Birmingham. Too often I have to clarify that the University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa, and is not UAB, or Alabama State. Others who are familiar with the school though, instantly strike up a conversation about football, which is good that you can relate in some aspect, but begin to wish that there was more to Alabama than football. I spend most of my time at the Rec which is the greatest way to meet and interact with people. Often times, you are competing against people so often you develop a respect for one another. Other times, people in there see how committed you are to your workout program and ask questions or help. I love being in the Rec sometimes just to people watch. Or in my case girl watch. Tuscaloosa is the definition of a college town. There are two malls that are both one story and a Wal Mart. Other than that, you may have to travel to Northport which is two minutes away, or to Birmingham, a more healthy commute of about 45 minutes. The University of Alabama's administration is absolutely useless! Often times, I have sought an answer to a problem and have been sent to three different people only to be told to call back tomorrow. It is so frustrading dealing with people in the offices here, and it seems at times that some of the administrators simply don't want to help you, are distracted by something more important, or just don't care about your problem. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the idea of "a machine", a political regime organized by the Greek system to hold power in the Student Government Association. It is only a theory. The actual existence of this Machine has not been confirmed but there are conspiracy theories that the reason the past 50 or so SGA presidents have been members of predominately white Greek letter fraternities is mindboggling. This is backed by shady polling activities, intimidation methods of minority candidates, and unusual backing out of other candidates that may have a viable chance of winning to allow a lesser qualified candidate to take the position. There are a lot of questions surrounding whether "A Machine" exists to keep the power in place but nothing has solidified. UA is bountiful with school pride. Hate does not even describe what is felt about that other school in Alabama often referred to as the Cow College. UA used to have a real prevalent squirrel army in the summer and fall semesters, but they have declined in recent history. One experience I'll always remember is the day Coach Saban was announced as the new head coach at the basketball game. The place erupted so much so that they had to delay the game from all the people who stormed the court. The most frequent complaints at the school are the lack of parking and the even greater parking fines, the school store charging horrendous prices for books and giving nearly nothing back in return for them, and lighting in some places of the university.

I am involved with a racial organization called Sustained Dialogue but there are other organizations on campus tailored to religious, LGBT, and socio-economic groups as well. The University holds a Get on Board Day so that you can sign up for anything you're interested in. The minority student that is not a people person would feel out of place. I was that minority student and still find myself uncomfortable at times. I came here knowing no one, and that was hard to deal at first. But with time you grow to meet new people thru these organizations.Students are pretty liberal with what they wear to class. A common outfit would consist of jeans and a tshirt. Unfortunately rarely do students from different backgrounds interact. That is what Sustained Dialogue works with. At Sustained Dialogue we try to bridge the gap between people that wouldn't normally interact through conversations every week. If there are four tables in the cafeteria, one would be the black Greek table, where you would see Delta Sigma Theta sorors, Alpha Phi Alpa fraternity members and possibly others having a good time. These students for the most part would be all black. The next table would consist of the foreign exchange students most likely speaking a language no one in the cafeteria could understand. Your third table would likely be the Mallet Assembly kids which would resemble your nerds in high school. They embrace the fact that they are different and do not try to conform to what is regularly accepted at the university. Yes they are the butt of a lot of jokes around campus but they do their own thing rather than try to fit in. The fourth table would probably be UA Athletics. There go your track athletes and football players- maybe a basketball player in the mix. But for the most part that's the UA cafeteria in a gist. The majority of the students that attend the University of Alabama are from the state of Alabama. Most of the majority is from Birmingham in one way or another. The other from Huntsville, and the smaller portion of that majority from "the Gump" or Montgomery. University of Alabama is a school that boasts having a very strong alumni base, so the students are normally well off. Students are for the most part politically apathetic because Student Government does no real noticeable changes on campus. As far as the Presidential debate is concerned, there are a lot of students with invested interest in getting involved with campaigns and there is a pipeline that establishes connections in DC for political science and history majors. Alabama for the most part is conservative making it a right-winged state and that reflects onto the University of Alabama campus. Suprisingly enough, many students you encounter are not at college for the money, but to do some good in the world. And that is refreshing.

To some extent these accusations are true. A lot of people you meet from the state of Alabama are great people, but there are a large number that only associate with people alike themselves. This is true wherever you go, not just in the state of Alabama. People have conservative ideals and are resilient to change and liberal views. The University of Alabama prides itself on pride and tradition so the students play into it as well. Being an out of state student myself it has been very hard to meet people due to these conservative ideals.

The professors at the University of Alabama are good across the board. I have had maybe two teachers that I would say were not up to par during my tenure at the University. They work with the students to make them successful. My favorite class this semester is Intro to Political Science. Probably the least favorite would be Math 100. Students study fairly often. It is not neccessary for a majority of the courses, but a lot of students are committed to academic success.Class participation varies on the subject matter and the teacher also. The Journalism department is great. They have a listserve that feeds you openings of internships and job opportunities. Experience is highly accessible. You can do anything from tv to radio with just an application. The education at UA is geared at preparing you to be a viable candidate for a position in the workforce.

Unfortunately Greek organizations are the most important organizations on the football team. They host a lot of the parties on the campus and are promoted by the university. Students in dorms do leave their dorms open. You will meet a lot of people in Burke West. That was the best experience of my life, because I met so many cool people thru living there. We developed a cool brotherhood because most of us were freshman at the time. Athletic events are the greatest. Due to the large number of sponsors and contributions, people are always giving away free stuff and the University of Alabama is normally competitive in just about every sport. If you're awake at 2a, you're studying. Alabama is full of tradition such as the Homecoming bonfire, and the A-Day Game, where the football team scrimmages. The Iron Bowl is a great rivalry and another tradition you pray to be a part of. Partying at the University of Alabama begins on Wednesday. Enough said. Off campus is the bar scene.

Some of the stereotypes I perceive about UA students are that the majority of the students are from smalltown, racist Alabama towns and aren't as cultured. Other stereotypes paint Alabama students as beacons of southern hospitality, but conservative and resilient to change.

The University of Alabama administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.