The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

Academics are really good here at the Capstone. My favorite classes were my English 101 and Art History 253. I had a really great teacher. She made it fun to write all the papers. My least favorite classes would have to be History 101 and Psychology 101. These are big lecture classes with about 150 to 200 students. In all the classes that only had about 30 students, the teacher knew my name. Only in a few of my big lecture classes did the professors know my name. Don't be fooled there are some hard professors here at Bama, but they will help you when you ask them for help. Never be afraid to ask your professor questions. It is their job to make sure you understand and they want you to achieve. With all the different classes you will find out want you like to study and what type of major you can get with it. Never be afraid to change your major. At the beginning of my first semester, I was a Social Science Education major otherwise known as a history teacher. After my first history class I knew I wasn't going to enjoy learning all the history, but I did love writing papers that dealt with describing or telling about a certain subject. I change my major mid-way through my first semester. My major is advertising. I start my advertising classes next semester. I declared my graphic design minor right before spring break of my second semester. I am looking forward to the classes.

It depends on what your major is and what your class sizes are if your professor knows your name. As you get into upper division classes they seem to make more of an effort to want to know who you are. Its the students responisbility to introduce themselves for the most part. Favorite class is MKT300 with Dr. Reynolds. My least favorite would have to be any english class. It depends on the student to say how much they study. I have just recently started studying up to a week and a 1/2 before a test. class participation is more common in upper division classes. but always common if points and/or extra credit is given for attendance. i think the honor students and/or the students in the top 5% on their class are competitive, but thats about it. I am an accounting major and i strongly believe we have to best faculty, teachers and advisors. it has VERY hard classes and the teachers treat us and give tests to us like we are smarter that we really are. so the tests are very hard. but they offer their time to help you and they are very focused on being 15th in the nation for undergrad accounting schools. i do not know if UA as a whole is geared toward post graduation jobs but i know the accounting school is. i would be giving a conservative percentile when i say 85% of accounting students have a job waiting on them before they even graduate.

UA academics are amazing. I know all of my professors names (first and last and where many of them went to college, etc). My favorite class was actually not in my major. It was a women's studies class (WS 200). It really challenged me to think outside the box and look at things in with a different perspective. My least favorite class was organic chemistry (need I say more?). The amount of time I study depends on the class style and the subject (1-5 hours a week). Students are competitive but also collaborative. I took a freshwater interdisciplinary studies class my freshman year and really enjoyed it. It was a seminar class where we had speakers come in every week and talk about issues related to freshwater ecosystems. The speakers were from a very diverse background and gave a good picture about different reasons why some of the issues arose in the first place. It was definitely one of my most interesting classes. Class participation varies based on the topic being covered and the size of the class. I did undergraduate research so I spent a good amount of time outside of class with professors and graduate students. UA's requirements are just the minimum. Biology majors really need more upper level classes. UA's education isn't geared towards a job really.

My freshman year, I was very involved in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative. The friends that I made through this program were very unique and I could always have an intellectual conversation with them outside of class. Students vary at the University. Many are just trying to get by in their classes, and others such as those in Blount and the Honors Program want to gain some extra knowledge from their college education. The Blount Program is a four year program in the College of Arts and Sciences that can be taken as a Minor. Students take 2 literature classes during their freshman year that are held in the Blount dorm. These classes explore the liberal arts and encourage discussion about the different authors like Freud, Descartes, Marx, Toni Morrison, Camus and E.O. Wilson (a notable UA Alumni). The classes for Upperclassmen are more fun because students can choose which ones they would like to take, depending on their interests. These include Yoga, Book Arts, Photography, Star Wars and Religion, Law, and others that are more specific to the sciences and classic literature.

Classes at The University of Alabama range is size from 30 students to 300 students. I have made it point to introduce myself to my teachers and participate in class discussion, as well as study in my free time. Many of my friends who study and go to class do well, but the ones who do not do these things struggle just to pass. A student's grade is dependent on their integrity and ambition. The most interesting class I have taken was Kinesiology 199 because that was the first class I took related to my major Sports Science and Medicine. My professors provided their e-mail address and office hours so they were very accessible outside of classes if needed. Overall, the classes I have taken are academically rigorous and are geared toward preparing students for success in their future careers. Although, I feel that UA's standards for acceptance is too low and takes away from their reputation. The University of Alabama has a great academic program that challenges it's students and prepares them for their future careers.

I feel the academics at my school are at the top level. There are some classes where the professors know your name. In the larger lecture classes it is up to you as a student to get to know your professor by meeting with them during their office hours and emailing them with specific questions. The studying on campus varies from person to person. The people who are determined to finish in four years stay on top of their academics, but schools will always have those students who barley get by. The professors have office hours outside of class that allows you to ask any questions that need to be asked. They are always willing to meet one on one with any student that is struggling. I am majoring in Nursing as of right now. The department they give us is so helpful. They plan out our four years class by class to make sure you finish on time and stay on track.

The best thing about this school is the people and all the different ways there are to get involved and meet new people. I would change the attitude of the non Greek students in relation to the Greek community. When you tell people that you go to the University of Alabama they always want to know about the football program.Most of my time on campus is pent in class and in the library studying. Tuscaloosa is a great college town where there is always something going on the strip and down town bars are always raging Thursday through Saturday but also a large number of house parties for people that are not into the bar seen. The largest recent controversy would be the machine and its influence on campus. There is a ton of school pride especially during football season. I will always remember my first game in the student section at the University of Alabama.

The professors at the University of Alabama are good across the board. I have had maybe two teachers that I would say were not up to par during my tenure at the University. They work with the students to make them successful. My favorite class this semester is Intro to Political Science. Probably the least favorite would be Math 100. Students study fairly often. It is not neccessary for a majority of the courses, but a lot of students are committed to academic success.Class participation varies on the subject matter and the teacher also. The Journalism department is great. They have a listserve that feeds you openings of internships and job opportunities. Experience is highly accessible. You can do anything from tv to radio with just an application. The education at UA is geared at preparing you to be a viable candidate for a position in the workforce.

The professors at UA are great about trying to get to know the class. They really enjoy getting to know the names of the students and involving them in class. This helps with attentiveness in class because you never know when you'll be called on since the teachers know your name. Also, the professors are going to make sure you not only can remember formulas, terms, etc., but they want to make sure you can apply the knowledge to real life circumstances to get you prepared for the real world. Any given day, you can be walking through the food court and overhear conversations of philosophy, theology, physics, and other intellectual topics of the sort. This is not to say you don't have to sit through the conversations about the bars, sports, or something of that nature. So, you can basically find anything you're looking for here.

The academics at UA are good. I sometimes feel like the classes I take are not hard enough. I sometimes feel like I am still in high school when it comes to how much studying I actually have to do. Don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of studying to do in some classes, but for the most part they aren't all that hard. I really dislike the core curriculum. Had that not been in place, I may have decided a major and stuck with it. I kept changing my major simply because I had too much time to think about it. For some, that may be good. Now that I am fixing to graduate, I wish I would have stuck with what I originally wanted to do, which was teaching. But over the years, so many people told me the negatives of it, that I decided I would do what others wanted me to do.