The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Everyone thinks that we hate Auburn with a passion. Yeh, we may have bit of competitiveness when it comes to football, but hey we are Alabama. So if you are an AU fan, here at Bama, we are not going to stone you. We will just try to convert you! But seriously, I didn't hear a lot about stereotypes at UA before I got here. You don't really notice it until you get here. I guess the biggest stereotypical thing on campus would have to be the people in soroities and fraternities. Yeh, they are pretty crazy at football games, but they aren't that bad on campus. I have friends in both soroities and frats, and there are a couple of people who show you that those stereotypes aren't always right.

Students at the University of Alabama are perceived as many of the people who call the "Deep South" home. Descriptions include "redneck", "hayseed", "hick", or backwards, all of which have the connotation of unintelligence or agrarian. Students may also be labeled as racist.

Some of the stereotypes I perceive about UA students are that the majority of the students are from smalltown, racist Alabama towns and aren't as cultured. Other stereotypes paint Alabama students as beacons of southern hospitality, but conservative and resilient to change.

Whenever I talk to people from other schools, they always ask if I am Greek and if I party a lot. UA is stereotypically a party school and most people assume that you have to be Greek to be involved on campus. Also, they say we are football fanatics!

1) That we are all spoiled. 2) That we party too much. 3) That we are racist. 4) That we want Bear Bryant to be our coach and no one else will do. 5) That we are just a party school.

One of the most common stereotypes about UA students would definitely be that we do not do anything but party. And of course, UA is looked at as a 'party school.'

We drink alot. We party alot. We love football too much. We love Bear Bryant too much. We live in the past. There are no friday classes. Greeks are jerks

UA's biggest stereotype is that it is a huge football school. The students are southern, mostly from Alabama who all love hunting and drinking Bud Lite.

I think UA still has the rep of being a party school. Also, I don' t think people realize UA has some great academic programs

there are Greeks and non- Greeks. and the way people behave, their social rank, etc are designated.