The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype for the University of Alabama is that we are 60% greek and 40% backwood redneck students from hickville. This stereotype is not accurate, because like 20% is greek and I think there are more out of state students than there are in state.

We are typically known as the Greek Life kids. The University of Alabama is composed of different sororities and fraternities and pretty much everyone you meet is most likely in or going to be apart of the Greek life. So yes it is completely accurate.

We are known as a party school, which it can be if you make it that but for the rest of us it is pretty difficult. Most of the ones that party almost every night are the ones that can't finish in four years.

Jocks and Greeks. Football is big here at Bama and the Greek system, unfortunately, is roughly 40% of campus students. I feel that "normal" students are under-represented.

The Greek sororities and fraternities run the campus and to some degree that is accurate because everyone looks up to them.

They may be "colorful": people with different personality and some of they are from other places, like Asian.

Greek life in general is huge here and it is very true.

Greek is very common, but does not include everyone.

Many people who live in the state of Alabama choose to go to Auburn University instead of The University of Alabama because Alabama is known as a party school. We apparently have some of the wildest, best parties in the country! We've been rated in the top ten party schools several years in a row. Unfortunately, this stereotype tends to hold true with our Greek student body. Most people who are affiliated with a Greek organization spend a significant amount of their time drinking beer, hunch punch, and spreading sexually transmitted diseases. However, there are so many other things to offer at the Capstone! There's an extensive honors program, including international honors and the opportunity to study abroad. We have an incredible football program, so there's entertainment every Saturday in the fall semester. We also have plenty of associations for people interested in art, music, rock-climbing, rowing, and even things like helping homeless animals.